RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,001 to 26,020 of 36,984 messages
Dubai Dave    pirate
30/01/2013 at 16:02
2old: rest before the Oly? Why? I've only just started Tri training again, it will only be a training race anyway.

I read an article where they showed the Chelsea - Leeds final to a modern ref who said he would have red carded 18 players! Proper football.
30/01/2013 at 16:03

Mr Z – did your legs end up looking like your profile pic after your pit stop?

O4S – I think you win the prize of best thread holiday there, that’ll be absolutely amazing.

Bro – I’m not sure I can help on carb loading strategy as mine isn’t very sophisticated. It just involves shoving as much pasta as I can get down my neck the night before.

I decided to push myself this morning so turned my 7M into 1 slow, then as quick as I could go and hold on. Pacing was all over the place but I managed three 7’s and three 8’s and despite them wildly fluctuating with hills and wind, I ended up with a 7.53 average. Way off where I was, but given that was my first attempt at speed since July 31st it’s hardly surprising…

Barry – well done on your 198 miles. After the princely sum of 13 in Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec combined, I’ll have clocked up 147 in Jan provided tomorrow’s 10 go to plan. Very, very happy with that and should constitute a decent base to kick on from there.  

Oh, and one other piece of news. I spent this morning at the hospital and fingers crossed Little Redders should be receiving a brother/sister in the summer…

30/01/2013 at 16:11

Red- woohooo!!!! Congrats

30/01/2013 at 16:22

Congratulations Redwood

30/01/2013 at 16:27

So that is going to be even more 9a runs Redders .....................

I presume you knew what you were doing so congratulations are in order??

DD:  BA is a past master in not listening, so when he complains at a later date I simply say that I told him at the time and he should have said something then. He has absolutely no idea whether I did or not and I can lie very convincingly

2old:  my holdiay blogs are famous [or should that be infamous] - I'll make sure you know the link.  BA has only just got round to reading last year's and was subsequently heard muttering about divorce..........

30/01/2013 at 17:10

O4S - I'm not sure Mrs R has ever thought that 'I know what I'm doing' in that department! 

30/01/2013 at 18:02
Red- that's great news ....
O4S- looking forward to seeing the blog. What an adventure. I know it would be divorce if I suggested such a thing
DD- rest is for wimps! Didn't you watch it live? You were around then? Leeds would have finished every game 8-9 men down if played and refereed today's standards.

Anyone seen this re VLmarathon runner -

Claire Squires, 30, suffered a cardiac arrest and collapsed in Birdcage Walk near Buckingham Palace, a few hundred metres from the finish line.
An inquest into her death heard that she had purchased a popular powder supplement called Jack3d which contained DMAA (dimethylamine), a drug that has similar properties toamphetamines and is said to boost energy, concentration and metabolism.
Her boyfriend, Simon van Herrewege, told Southwark Coroner's Court that she bought it online and mixed it with liquid in her water bottle as she was keen to beat her personal best race time.
"It is a bit like caffeine," he said

My worry is that the gels I use contain caffeine. Should I stop using them ?
Edited: 30/01/2013 at 18:07
30/01/2013 at 18:19
Redwood - congrats!

Just saw on the news about Claire Squires - they've now removed products containing DMA from sale. No idea 2old about caffeine.....
30/01/2013 at 18:35

2old - surely "a bit like caffeine" isn't actually caffeine?  I wouldn't worry - hundreds of people use gels like that and I don't think any deaths have been attributed to them.

Red - brilliant news!

The reason I was confined to the TM yesterday was that the sales event I was at was outside Chicago in some suburb or other - no idea of where really and didn't want to get lost! But now I have moved downtown for the remainder of my trip, so this morning I took the opportunity for a run out by the lake.  I ran naked - out for about 1.45, which did include some stops so I reckon about 11 miles probably. Freezing cold and a real contrast from when I was here last summer. In fact I have photo evidence:

Chicago in late June

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/152897/gallery/-1182094597.jpg?width=350

Chicago in late January

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/152897/gallery/-135268712.jpg?width=350

I managed to take these from more or less the same spot. Parts of the lake by the shore were solid ice today. In June it was close to 40 degrees on one of the days I was there.  Tomorrow the forecast is -12.

30/01/2013 at 21:00
Free- ok I won't worry. Wow those pics show Chicago in all its glory. They take me back. Make sure you go up the John Hancock Tower and see the view from the restaurant. Great place to run and it beats the TM any day
Did my MLR on the TM. Just under 15 miles at7.53 mm pace. Bottled out of running in that gale.
30/01/2013 at 21:13
Free- nice pics, hope you're having a good time.
2Old- I don't think you can compare amphetamines to caffeine so I wouldn't worry about it. I wonder if she had any idea what she was taking. I understand that the supplement was legal at the time but if I wanted to use something that wasn't well known and recommended and I could only get it online I think the alarm bells would be ringing. Especially if I knew I had irregular heart beat which she was aware of. What a tragedy.
I'm having a rather crap week. Every run feels like hard work and the weather is not helping. Not looking forward to the HM.
30/01/2013 at 21:24
Perhaps she didn't know it wasn't well known. I remember when I first started hearing about different kinds of gels and drinks I didn't have had a clue. You just really go on something recommended to you.

I live on caffeine and haven't died yet.

I did a tempo in the wind tonight. I'd still take that over a TM any day. The 4 miles @ MP 7:24 avg felt comfortable even in the wind.

Freemers - sounds like you're feeling better. Looks a lovely place to run.

Redders - congratulations! Nice to see the cross training has brought a positive result!

Kev was expecting to be a daddy in January. Hope he lets us know when.

Brolish - still recovering from the hols? Maybe you need a day of rest.
30/01/2013 at 21:29
Bro- I guess there's a big difference between the effects of caffeine and amphetamines ...just confirms the danger of using unapproved drugs off the Internet. Very sad.
Don't worry about the running..it takes a bit to recover from everything you've done the last few weeks. Think you'll suprise yourself at the HM.
30/01/2013 at 21:54

Exciting news Red! Congratulations.  Great news on the run too.

DD - nice pain face.

Bro are you tapering for the HM? Taper madness doesn't discriminate, it can strike in the lead up to a HM.  You're probably still tired from your holiday too.   

Great photos Freemers, looks like a nice view on either day and no queuing to run there!  No need having to queue for a TM at 4:30am, bonkers.

Minni I tempo-ed outside in the wind tonight too, couldn't bear the thought of the treadmill after last weeks efforts on the damn thing.

Hows the calves today AA?

Hope the pummelling helped yesterday Spoons, not too sore after that?

30/01/2013 at 21:54

I  did a run tonight - not a recovery run, not a tempo run, not an LT run, not an MLR, not intervals, not hill reps, not a progressive run, not a pyramid run - just a run type run!  Why do I feel as if it somehow doesn't count?

Off to Belfast tomorrow, leaving the house at 5.15am and back at 11.00pm if on time.  Wearing trainers and running tights, so might try and fit something in, but probably won't have time

30/01/2013 at 22:50
Redders, congrats.

Freemers, Chicago is somewhere I could keep going back to.

O4S, another epic trip.

I love coffee but wouldn't go near amphetamines. V sad.

Mixed day for me. Managed a run though only 10 mins and knees niggling at the end. Less good was that neither my sickness or having cut down on chocolate have helped get rid of my excess winter weight. Even worse was the idiot driver who nearly knocked me off my bike. I was going straight on and lit up like a Christmas tree and he still tried to turn right into me. Grrrrr.
30/01/2013 at 23:11

Freemers - I see they've painted the yellow line in the road....

30/01/2013 at 23:37

Very sad about the inquest, but it is her boyfriend who has likened it to caffeine, whereas the report says it's more like amphetamines. I wouldn't be put off caffeinated gels because of this.

Congrats Redders!

Becs, 10 mins sounds like it should have hit a mile, so it counts for Jantastic and that's what matters.  Sorry it's been mixed though, bloody drivers at it again!

On carb loading, my understanding is that you don't increase overall calories but have to change the proportions of what you're eating. If you're really fussed about not gaining any weight this can mean foregoing butter on bread etc to ensure you get sufficient carbs in without increasing the calories. I counted the carb grams very anally for my first marathon, and as it remains my best I still think there's something in carb loading properly.

31/01/2013 at 09:50
Redwood - Congrats, you are going to be busy, for next years mara schedule!

Becs- Unfortunately like you say, even when lit up like a Christmas tree, some drivers don't give a shit, and will just turn anyway, after all it's no problem to them if they knock you off your bike!
Dubai Dave    pirate
31/01/2013 at 10:07

Redwood: Congrats

O4S: I reckon your very "economical" with the truth when telling BA about your holiday plans, were kindred spirits after all I manged to keep a IM secret for months and still maintain when the subject is raised that Outlaw is not an IM but is a race over a IM distance, its all semantics

Re the lady and Amphetamines, well you need to know what your putting into your body but I must admit I don't check re sports drinks, gels etc but would be wary with regards to something bought on the WWW.

Cycled for 90 mins this morning, racing tomorrow but race is a loose term in this event, will be taking it easy, next week I will race.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.