RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,041 to 26,060 of 37,330 messages
01/02/2013 at 10:08

Alright all, 8 miles tempoish run last night (7:44) with the club and a 10 mile MLR on Tuesday, brings me up to a paltry (for this thread) 160 miles for the month. Feeling about the same as last year.

Spoons - sorry to hear about your continuing running nightmare  Hopefully rest & recuperation will get you fighting fit again 

AA - the thread calf problems strike again - hope it's nothing serious

01/02/2013 at 10:36

Simon - I thought Minnis regulations were more like "guidelines"... bit like abstaining from alcohol???

01/02/2013 at 12:01

254 miles done in Jan which I'm happy with considering the holiday. Bring on Feb with no interruptions (hopefully).

AA- hope the calf is ok.

Chick- don't despair it just sounds like of the those runs you need to forget. I've been struggling all week with the wind and rain, it really makes it hard especially first thing in the morning. It's all character building! Well done for getting out there before work in terrible conditions.

Spoons- sorry to hear things are not going to plan. Hopefully a total rest will do the trick.

Oompa- nice pace on your MLR.

Rest day today for me which I think was much needed.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
01/02/2013 at 13:13

only 169 miles for Jan for me - but that does represent a 30% increase from last January, which was also my peak, and i've maintianed the same level of cycling and swimming this year as last year.

I've delibrately left space to ramp - so plan will be rto drop some of the cycling for the next three months, then post marathon, drop the running significantly and ramp the cycling

Dubai Dave    pirate
01/02/2013 at 14:00

AA: Hope RICE does the job, and yes Chelsea are shite, I blame Rafa myself.

Chick: No doubt you did that run at around 0430? Well done.

Oompa: You've got Minni sussed.

2XU Skins Olympic Triathlon 1.5K swim / 40K bike / 10K run

Wasn't expecting much and didn't get much! Woke to a very windy day, never a good sign when doing a sea swim or riding a bike! The swim was choppy with a strong cross current, had to breath to the left for half the race to avoid drowning and I really don't like having to do that. After one lap I wanted to go home, but on the second lap I started to swim much better and started overtaking folks and felt almost happy. Exited swim in 30-22.

T1 2-45 and out into the wind complete with driven sand. The bike course is 5 laps of a U shaped course so half was down win and half into the wind, this wasn't an A  race so kept it at 90RPM and went down wind at 40 KPH and up wind at around 24 KPH. Finished cycle in 1-18 which is much slower than usual but good enough.

T2 1-30 and out on the run, calf muscles were very tight after last weeks marathon so I kept the pace down to run even splits and cruise home in 48-01. Total time 2-40. Still good enough for 3rd M50 but then there were only 5 in my age group.! Onto next weeks Tri.

Dubai Dave    pirate
01/02/2013 at 14:15

I seem to have entered Abingdon

PS where is Abingdon?

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 14:16
01/02/2013 at 14:29

Nice podium finish, DD . Roll on Abo . When is it?

Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Chick: No doubt you did that run at around 0430? Well done.

how did you guess ?

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 14:30
M.r Zuvai    pirate
01/02/2013 at 14:45
Dubai Dave wrote (see)

PS where is Abingdon?

Oxford

01/02/2013 at 16:00
Spoons - a rough decision to make, hope it helps with the comeback

DD - any bling?

Chick - that run didn't sound too shit to me - really close to hitting your target pace in challenging conditions. Enjoy the spa!

Sending good vibes to all the ailing calves

110M for January for me - low, but really happy I've managed to do that after my calf injury. Slow and steady build up has really done the trick.

Just wanted to let you know that the curse of bro is still working its magic in canada, even after she's left... Yesterday I spent 6 hours flying, only to end up back at the same place after an aborted landing and a refuel at a military outpost... Trying again now!
01/02/2013 at 16:11

Chick -  well done for doing yesterday's run today.    Nothing wrong with your run, sub 8 over that distance in the wind is a good effort.

Brol -  Good mileage and thanks for knocking me down to 10th in the challenge.

AA -  Good long run, hope the calf is nothing serious.

DD -  Congrats on the podium finish.

5  miles easy this morning and just had my monthly physio, no problems just tight in my calfs.

01/02/2013 at 16:13

DD- well done on the podium!

KFC- you can't keep on blaming me forever!!! Hope the second attempt is successful!

01/02/2013 at 16:15

Barry- you're very welcome.

01/02/2013 at 16:54
Ok, I've had enough hiding my head in the sand. Hello again! So sorry I've not posted anything for ages. I've got a lot of catching up to do.....

Injury got me very down towards the end of last year as I'd had a few false starts when getting going again. I had a few good runs in November, and then I got sick with rubbish lurgy in December. Bad chest so I managed 3 runs and felt like death when I got back in. Only felt better in second week of Jan. seriously contemplated withdrawing from my GFA start this year as am in no fit condition to run 3:30. But am trying to talk down my competitive side and just use it as a training run, using this whole block of training to get me marathon fit and then look for an autum or early Jan (say, Dubai) marathon to go for my time?

Sorry I've been so rubbish and hidden away, I just needed to sort my head out with my running. Everything felt like a massive battle and I was truly fed up with it all. Enough feeling sorry for myself, hopefully it will all be fine and I will just run it slowly.

I hope everyone is doing well with their marathon build-up. I will read back as and when I can ands see how you are all doing.
01/02/2013 at 18:13

SS:  don't forget the old saying 'What doesn't kill us makes us stronger'.  You might surprise yourelf in the spring marathon

Spoons: really sorry to hear your news, hope the rest sorts you out.

DD: I seem to remember someone [possibly me] speculating that we might be siblings.  I give Mr O4S information strictly on a 'need to know basis' - my need for him to know

That is Janwhateveritisallaboutastic D&D.  Four mile easy tonight with a 30 mile ultra tomorrow.  Weather looks great for running tomorrow

M.r Zuvai    pirate
01/02/2013 at 19:12

evening, 

binned my morning swim and cycle as i was tired from yesterdays double, so was dreading this evenings tempo run but felt cracking!

2m WU,  07:04, 06:56, 06:53, 06:48, 2m CD 

happy with that - it felt comfortable enough that from next week i will look to increase the lenth of the faster bits to build some speed endurance 

haha - i've just seen talk on someones fb wall about retirement! *shakes head ruefully* 

01/02/2013 at 19:25
*insert embarrassed face*. Z I wasn't saying I would retire just that if I got sub 3:15 I 'could' retire!
M.r Zuvai    pirate
01/02/2013 at 19:33

haha! how was your intervals?

01/02/2013 at 19:48
Well it was a bit more HM pace than 10k pace but what's a few seconds amongst friends! To be honest I've lost some confidence in the speedier stuff. I almost talk myself out of it, sure I'm going to fail.

Craaaaaking tempo from you though, young man!
Edited: 01/02/2013 at 19:49
01/02/2013 at 20:01
Haha DD - love you entering marathons and not knowing where they are!

O4S - have a great Ultra tomorrow.

Carl - yes it's tricky putting in the longest run. Because I follow the Frankenmoz schedule I don't know how long my runs will be. I'm tempted to put 4 x 20s but I think when I start putting quality in a couple might drop to 18s.

3rd 20 scheduled for tomorrow. All 7 runs logged in Janthenightsaregettinglightertasic.
01/02/2013 at 21:15
Dubai Dave wrote (see)

PS where is Abingdon?

North west of Dubai

South east of Alaska

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.