RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,121 to 26,140 of 37,232 messages
04/02/2013 at 15:14

Minni - I was also fretting about the race time for March. I have three races scheduled - a HM, 20 miler and 21 miler. The 20 and 21 will be easier to get close to a target as I've run them plenty of times before and know what my pacing strategy will be. The HM would be more challenging as it's a PB attempt but I don't really know whether than means a PB by 1 second or 1 minute or more, so wouldn't really know what time to put down.  Or I might throw in a YKW and use that. Decisions... .

So are MT saying that you've missed the deadline for setting this week's targets and so can't log any runs? I think you should just tell them that the deadline is ambiguous.  The wording on the website is that the targets for this month must be set "by 4 February" which to me means the 4th is the last day you can do them.  Like a "use by" date on food. 

04/02/2013 at 15:23

Chick-snow, beer and pampering are all good and so was that 10 miler

Spoons-lazy? You must be joking unless you swam that on your back with your eyes closed

Minni- Ive logged my run today so you must have been black balled. Maybe they cant believe someone runs that many times in a week...I dont. Liverpool Half for me not Reading

Bro-wonder if the boarding technique has something to do with the ongoing shin issues? Anyway hope it soon passes

AA-Good to see you are fixed with a symptom free 9 miler. When my calf went it seemed the end of the world and then it was ok.

Free-think you deserve that easy 6 after the last 2 sessions

8.2 miles easy at 7.55 pace.Felt I should have done more which probably means its a good thing I stopped.

04/02/2013 at 16:04

DD-never could see you gardening in a desert but dont make the obvious error we all would and overtrain

04/02/2013 at 16:20

I've dropped them an email.  Fingers crossed.

Freemers - I have two HMs in March but unfortunately they are only a week apart so not so good for having to attempts. 

Brolish - the thought of your 10k makes me feel  too!  I'm going to book one for the first week in April.   

04/02/2013 at 16:37

I have a 10k on 24 Feb, another one on March 17 and a half on April 1 . They all seem very soon all of the sudden ...

DD: gardening leave until May . You are one lucky sod!!

M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/02/2013 at 17:05

Minni – fingers crossed they’ve just got a tech issue and you’ll be fine

O4S – I’ve got an opposite opinion to everyone else! I would train for the ultra, and use VLM as a warm up – enjoy the crowds rather than fight them like we will have to!

Bro – Storming run on a difficult course – you’re flying at the moment!!

FRC – Smashing effort on the ultra!

2old – great mileage! You’re looking very strong – a good inspiration to the group!

Spoons – I really believe you’ve made the right decision – you’ll be much stronger in the long run (doesn’t make it any easier in the present :S ) At least your cycling and swimming will have you in good shape for that IM!!! :P

Freemers – im impressed at how well you maintain you’re training even when you’re away for work – it always messing my training up terribly!  

AA – Pleased your calf seems to be  clearing  - everyone needs to look after those niggles

DD – Congratulations on the recent bling – you’re a machine! Enjoy your time off – I bet you’ve a million lose ends to tie up for move day! Wiltshire is going to be such a culture shock!!

Oompa  - I have a similar view to you re LSR's – my LSR’s currently are much slower (+100sec) than PMP but now that ive got a few 20+ under my belt, and have built some endurance I’ll start picking the pace up to a bit closer to MP and have some sections at MP

Chick – hope you were spoilt!!

Barry – Great Hills! –it’s dead flat here so hills are the one thing missing in my week! :/

Ant – Nice progress!

SS – great to have you back!!

Simon – how is the foot feeling? Is it getting better?

Phew  - it’s exhausting keeping up with this thread – but I love it!! 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/02/2013 at 17:14

i had a cracking weekend!

Sat got up early to get the house work out the way, then caught the cricket in time to watch Steyn go bizerk against Pakistan (Red will understand) then got out for a nice long ride on my bike in the sun, it's been a while since i've ridden in the sun, its a lovely feeling! with a few miles off the back to turn it into a brick session, then to the pub to watch the rugby with friends accompanied with a few guinesses! then had a lovely meal with the girlfriend.

Sunday, was then LSR day, D is still training for her half marathon, so ran the first 10 with her at 11m/m (ouch!) then did another 12 miles at about 8.50 m/m. So all in all another time on feet run with 22 miles done in 3hr 40 ish

Feeling in a good position going into Feb; im comfortable with the base endurance i have and happy with the top end speed - now i just need to find some speed endurance of which i have none!!!

04/02/2013 at 17:43

I want to be on gardening leave as well. It's not fair!

04/02/2013 at 19:15
MrZ- that was some weekend and topped off with an epic LR. Don't know about being an inspiration .., I'm trying to keep up with you guys.
Spoons - what are you like with a mower?
Chick- I've got a 10 k on Sunday. Not really looking forward to it.
Is it ok to do my LR on Thursday to allow some recovery for Sunday.
04/02/2013 at 19:54
Spoons - can you mow the desert?

MrZ - great endurance run and nice helping your gf along too. What half is she training for?

2old - yes go long on Thursday and you should be right up for a 10k pb on Sunday!!
04/02/2013 at 19:55
Think I might bunk off my reps this week as I don't wanna trigger the calf again before Sunday. Mmm ... Dunno what to do?
04/02/2013 at 20:03
AA - yes avoid speedy stuff and hills for a little longer. I'll follow your advice re LRs thanks
Edited: 04/02/2013 at 20:04
04/02/2013 at 20:12
Z - storming run and perfect timing for a time on your feet one. You're really going well.

2old - yes go long on Thursday.

AA - leave the reps. Better to give your calf a bit longer and they won't make much difference for Sunday.

MT - I'm back in the game.

My garden needs tidied.

Just home from work.
04/02/2013 at 22:02

I can't log my run and have been struggling to read or post on this forum - but I think it is a problem with our internet connection

Tempo run tonight and legs felt tired after Saturday.  Cold and windy down here again, roll on some better weather - not looking forward to the bike tomorrow.

Mr Z:  I think I am veering towards your plan, my best marathon times have been off ultra training and no speedwork

04/02/2013 at 23:54
Minni - Shit nearly forgot Febulous, but I've just put in my targets and they've been excepted, and we're now a large team again, Phew. Try not to laugh at my lsr targets, I'm just behind, I presume O4S's 30m, with ahem 4m, well you've got to start small.

Mr Z - My heels, much better, but only cus I'm not running anything more than 1mile, so it' a bit of a catch 22 I think.

2old - As I can't run much, I might as well push myself during some x-training, as I don't need to save myself for any serious run sessions, so yes giving the rower a good going over.
05/02/2013 at 01:02

Lots of good LSRs being done over weekend.

Brol good half for you. Whats the target for Reading, low 1:30ish?
Psst... No-one travel to Reading half or wherever this 10k is... you know there are going to be meteors and snowstorms when Brol travels.

Freemers, 6:24 efforts, very fine.

Mr Z forgot to thank you for the tapir. Honoured Sir !

2old, how is the ITB? My sports lady got me drinking lots, dehydration affected mine so lots of water, electrolyte helped, stop the fascia going "sticky" or something more technical. Can Simon & I watch a welsh dragon top run the Maddog 10k fast - sub 40?

Minni wrote (see)

O4S/FRC - nice ultras.  FRC - what is your target for London?  Do you think the ultras will help? 

Minni, yes. maybe. Endurance, time on feet, keep my body guessing. October one didn't affect my Nov half or Dec 10k attempts.. Oh and you get to eat lots of cake.

Target for VLM is sub 3:15, will see where I'm at in March. Might be too much traffic to really go for it at London, leave that for another day.

Legs fine, did some walking around Oxford on Sunday, nice massage yesterday. No niggles, light run today and for next week or so.

05/02/2013 at 06:55

FRC - if you're going for sub 3:15 VLM is much thinner at that end of the field. 

05/02/2013 at 06:59
Yep I agree with Spoons FRC in London you're running with people of a similar speed so it's not really a problem. I've run 4 or 5 PBs there.

Simon - good man doing your bit for the team. It doesn't matter what your targets are just so long as you do them.

Woke up to snow here.
05/02/2013 at 08:57

FRC - what time did you predict on your VLM form? If you said anything under 3.30 (which I assume you did) then the furthest pen back you'll be is 3 - no problem at all from there. You'll be over the line in a couple of minutes and shouldn't have any problem getting up to speed. What start are you on?

Minni / Simon - phew! Team Minni back to full strength. And Simon - 'long' is only relative, so long as you do the run that's good enough for anyone

AA - I agree with others. No need to risk the intervals this week.

I think we're forecast for some snow as well today, but not sure it'll amount to anything. Hope not anyway.

05/02/2013 at 09:26

2Old- LSR on Thursday sounds good, it will give you enough time to recover before Sunday.  What's the target for the 10k?  Is it flat?

AA- take it easy with the calf for another few days is the sensible answer. Now, can you be sensible?

Simon- well done for getting in your targets. Hope the heels are back to normal soon, in a meantime enjoy the rower.

FRC- Yes, as long as there are no surprises I will be hoping for 1:32(ish) in Reading I think. Judging by your speed sub 3:15 should be very much within your grasp.

Minni- oh no, not the snow again.

No snow in London but a very sunny and crisp morning for a change. Subjected the shins to foam rolling, icing, deep freeze, nuerofen and compression socks last night and something seems to have done the trick (I wish I knew what it was for the future reference). Had a great 8.5m easy run into work this morning @ 8:20. Now I just need to convince Moz that I'm fully recovered and ready to do some intervals (and pigs can fly).

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.