RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,141 to 26,160 of 37,179 messages
M.r Zuvai    pirate
05/02/2013 at 09:42
Freemers wrote (see)

FRC - what time did you predict on your VLM form? If you said anything under 3.30 (which I assume you did) then the furthest pen back you'll be is 3 - no problem at all from there. You'll be over the line in a couple of minutes and shouldn't have any problem getting up to speed. What start are you on?

that's fantastic news for me to hear - the crowded nature of VLM was a major concern for me - the two times i've run it have been from pens 5 or 6 on the blue and red starts and the crowds for the first 5 miles have been horrendous.

im on the blue start again, but sure that my target time i entered was less than 3.30

one day you'll have the gents from this thread for company on the green start!

05/02/2013 at 09:57

Morning all.  Thanks so much for all the wise words here, it's really helped.  I'm going to just carry on as I am and MTFU   I've booked my accommodation but no payment is required until I rock up.  Flights are easy to get and it's not Easter or half-term or anything so prices won't be stupid even if I book last minute.  So I'm going to aim for 3:59 and see what happens.

I did my first session today, nothing massive as psychologically I just needed to get something done without failing, and also this is the first test my calf has had for a long time so I erred on the small side.  I did 45 mins with 5x5 mins at 8m/m with 90 seconds recovery and it all felt very comfortable.  I am super pleased with how I felt so I guess all those spin sessions have really helped keep my fitness levels up, it's just the endurance which has obviously dropped off.  But I feel much happier having done that and my calf feels good.  I'm in my compression socks just in case.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
05/02/2013 at 09:59

AA - she's training for the Portsmouth Coastal half - i love the Portsmouth Costal series as they all start and finish across the road from us! terribly convenient!!  

Bro - great news that the shins are feeling better! ps - how do roll your shins?

Minni - Rubbish that you've got snow again - im sick of winter and we've only had 1 week of snow!! you'll be speaking Innuit soon at this rate!!

05/02/2013 at 10:01

MrZ- I only found out last night. MrB had a ball watching me do it.

Shin foam rolling exercises

05/02/2013 at 10:06

SS- 5 x 5min @ 8mm sounds very good! Did you do it outside? If that feels comfortable I really think you can give it a good bash and who knows you might surprise yourself. Very glad you decided to carry on.

05/02/2013 at 10:09
Brolish, thanks for posting that, will have to give it a go. So glad your shins are feeling back to normal
05/02/2013 at 10:10

Morning all.  Thanks so much for all the wise words here, it's really helped.  I'm going to just carry on as I am and MTFU   I've booked my accommodation but no payment is required until I rock up.  Flights are easy to get and it's not Easter or half-term or anything so prices won't be stupid even if I book last minute.  So I'm going to aim for 3:59 and see what happens.

I did my first session today, nothing massive as psychologically I just needed to get something done without failing, and also this is the first test my calf has had for a long time so I erred on the small side.  I did 45 mins with 5x5 mins at 8m/m with 90 seconds recovery and it all felt very comfortable.  I am super pleased with how I felt so I guess all those spin sessions have really helped keep my fitness levels up, it's just the endurance which has obviously dropped off.  But I feel much happier having done that and my calf feels good.  I'm in my compression socks just in case.

Dubai Dave    pirate
05/02/2013 at 11:01
Gardening today consisted of telling the gardener what to do ( yes we do have a gardener but I don't employ him the landlord does) so went for a 2K swim and will cycle in a bit.

Last nights club run was quickish and my calves coped OK so getting my legs back post marathon.

Minni: snow is inevitable when you live In the artic circle

SS: good to see you back on track

MrZ: you would not believe how many things we have to sort before we leave.

Right off to mow the sand
05/02/2013 at 12:14

Zuvai -  Great time on feet run.

SS -  Good session and even better news on the calf.

10 miles slow for me this morning, legs grumbling for the first couple of miles after yesterdays session.

05/02/2013 at 12:20
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

Surely red start is the place to be? Fast Good For Age

05/02/2013 at 13:17
Bro - well done for recovering so quick

I'm properly fatigued today and bunked off any run today let alone the intervals. Was planning Friday and Saturday off pre half but now - because of febsickofitulous - I will have to run a mile on Friday!!
05/02/2013 at 13:22

Afternoon all

DD-dont strain your back digging the sand

MrZ-next year join me at the FGFA section. There are no celebs there like the Green start but there are lots of 7stone weather beaten runners who happily talk about knocking out sub 3hour marathons in their sleep year after year.I feel intimidated  .

FRC-you'll be in the FGFA section too next year as you'll have no probs with the crowds .Thanks for the water tip though my easy run yesterday seemed to do the trick anyway. Good to see youve made a quick recovery from your ultra. I only wear my Welsh Dragon top for marathons so not sure what to wear on Sunday.--Ski jacket if it stays like this.I will let you have my race  no .

Simon- carry on punishing yourself on the Ergo and well done with Febtastic. Are you turning up on Sunday?

Bro-glad to see you have a shin solution. It is a very flat 10k but is likely to be very windy. I would like to go sub 40 but am not sure I have the pace after all the LRs amd MLRs.

SS-great to see you sticking with it.Nice session too

Barry- the slow stuff hurts the most but seems to do some good too.Good 10

Might swop my intervals for tempo later today

M.r Zuvai    pirate
05/02/2013 at 13:23

Spoons. wrote (see)
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

haha - i was thinking that once i had posted - by the time us slow coach men get there all the women will have up-sticks and moved to the red start!

mind you - does 2old hold a GFA?

edit; he just answered that! not just GFA but infact FGFA!

Edited: 05/02/2013 at 13:25
M.r Zuvai    pirate
05/02/2013 at 13:59

Minni / Brol - very interesting discussion on the Kier/PRF thread! a lot of sence being spoken my all - i do see what PRF is saying and thats been the logic behind the last 2 week's very slow time on feet runs.

that said i am looking forward to speeding them up somewhat and chucking in some MP sections!

05/02/2013 at 14:05
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

Spoons. wrote (see)
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

haha - i was thinking that once i had posted - by the time us slow coach men get there all the women will have up-sticks and moved to the red start!

No - we'll have up sticks and moved to Blue - Champs start...keep up boys

Air con in gym broken down so my tempo run was rediculously hot. Cut it short by leaving off the c/d and just collapsing in a heap on the mat

05/02/2013 at 14:31

MrZ- its easier getting FGFA when your old...all of 5 mins! Where's the Kier thread? Sounds interesting. It may of interest but for VLM last year none-or very few of my LRs were under 8mins until March when I added progression or MP influenced by Minni and also I didnt do any intervals at all but did do a few tempo runs about 10 secs under MP. I look at Jan as endurance only, Feb as endurance with termpo and March as endurance plus tempo and speed.

Free - you lot have so many targets to aim for -Green-Champs etc.FGFA is about it though Im not complaining as when I first ran a mmarathon I never dreamt of getting near 3.10. Re air con breakdown-good practise for VLM in a heat wave -it has happened

M.r Zuvai    pirate
05/02/2013 at 14:40
05/02/2013 at 15:22

snow here too in the meantime  and it's forecast to get cold again. Sick of it . I ran in a torrential downpour this morning but a few hours later those giant raindrops turned into the most mahoosive snow flakes you've ever seen.

Freemers: sounds awful! I hate gyms at the best of times but with no air con??

2oldnever wrote (see)
Chick- I've got a 10 k on Sunday. Not really looking forward to it.
Is it ok to do my LR on Thursday to allow some recovery for Sunday.

there's always one that's worse off than yourself . At least I have another 2 weeks or so ...

05/02/2013 at 16:43
2old - Yes still planning to meet up at maddog on Sunday. If you've lost my mobile nbr, I can Pm it again for you, and I'll Pm FRC to.
05/02/2013 at 18:33
Simon- I've got your no so will get in touch on Sunday
Chick- enjoy the extra few days to your 10k if running in those conditions can ever be enjoyed.
MrZ- thanks for the link. Looks like I have been running LRs too fast and the other runs too slow. That's my VLM blown .
Went to the gym to do my tempo session and found I had forgotten my shorts. I had a choice run in my speedos or swim. Did 2k swim instead .. bet you dedicated tri guys DD and MrZ would have done the run ! My plan for the week is falling apart already.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.