RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,141 to 26,160 of 36,999 messages
04/02/2013 at 19:15
MrZ- that was some weekend and topped off with an epic LR. Don't know about being an inspiration .., I'm trying to keep up with you guys.
Spoons - what are you like with a mower?
Chick- I've got a 10 k on Sunday. Not really looking forward to it.
Is it ok to do my LR on Thursday to allow some recovery for Sunday.
04/02/2013 at 19:54
Spoons - can you mow the desert?

MrZ - great endurance run and nice helping your gf along too. What half is she training for?

2old - yes go long on Thursday and you should be right up for a 10k pb on Sunday!!
04/02/2013 at 19:55
Think I might bunk off my reps this week as I don't wanna trigger the calf again before Sunday. Mmm ... Dunno what to do?
04/02/2013 at 20:03
AA - yes avoid speedy stuff and hills for a little longer. I'll follow your advice re LRs thanks
Edited: 04/02/2013 at 20:04
04/02/2013 at 20:12
Z - storming run and perfect timing for a time on your feet one. You're really going well.

2old - yes go long on Thursday.

AA - leave the reps. Better to give your calf a bit longer and they won't make much difference for Sunday.

MT - I'm back in the game.

My garden needs tidied.

Just home from work.
04/02/2013 at 22:02

I can't log my run and have been struggling to read or post on this forum - but I think it is a problem with our internet connection

Tempo run tonight and legs felt tired after Saturday.  Cold and windy down here again, roll on some better weather - not looking forward to the bike tomorrow.

Mr Z:  I think I am veering towards your plan, my best marathon times have been off ultra training and no speedwork

04/02/2013 at 23:54
Minni - Shit nearly forgot Febulous, but I've just put in my targets and they've been excepted, and we're now a large team again, Phew. Try not to laugh at my lsr targets, I'm just behind, I presume O4S's 30m, with ahem 4m, well you've got to start small.

Mr Z - My heels, much better, but only cus I'm not running anything more than 1mile, so it' a bit of a catch 22 I think.

2old - As I can't run much, I might as well push myself during some x-training, as I don't need to save myself for any serious run sessions, so yes giving the rower a good going over.
05/02/2013 at 01:02

Lots of good LSRs being done over weekend.

Brol good half for you. Whats the target for Reading, low 1:30ish?
Psst... No-one travel to Reading half or wherever this 10k is... you know there are going to be meteors and snowstorms when Brol travels.

Freemers, 6:24 efforts, very fine.

Mr Z forgot to thank you for the tapir. Honoured Sir !

2old, how is the ITB? My sports lady got me drinking lots, dehydration affected mine so lots of water, electrolyte helped, stop the fascia going "sticky" or something more technical. Can Simon & I watch a welsh dragon top run the Maddog 10k fast - sub 40?

Minni wrote (see)

O4S/FRC - nice ultras.  FRC - what is your target for London?  Do you think the ultras will help? 

Minni, yes. maybe. Endurance, time on feet, keep my body guessing. October one didn't affect my Nov half or Dec 10k attempts.. Oh and you get to eat lots of cake.

Target for VLM is sub 3:15, will see where I'm at in March. Might be too much traffic to really go for it at London, leave that for another day.

Legs fine, did some walking around Oxford on Sunday, nice massage yesterday. No niggles, light run today and for next week or so.

05/02/2013 at 06:55

FRC - if you're going for sub 3:15 VLM is much thinner at that end of the field. 

05/02/2013 at 06:59
Yep I agree with Spoons FRC in London you're running with people of a similar speed so it's not really a problem. I've run 4 or 5 PBs there.

Simon - good man doing your bit for the team. It doesn't matter what your targets are just so long as you do them.

Woke up to snow here.
05/02/2013 at 08:57

FRC - what time did you predict on your VLM form? If you said anything under 3.30 (which I assume you did) then the furthest pen back you'll be is 3 - no problem at all from there. You'll be over the line in a couple of minutes and shouldn't have any problem getting up to speed. What start are you on?

Minni / Simon - phew! Team Minni back to full strength. And Simon - 'long' is only relative, so long as you do the run that's good enough for anyone

AA - I agree with others. No need to risk the intervals this week.

I think we're forecast for some snow as well today, but not sure it'll amount to anything. Hope not anyway.

05/02/2013 at 09:26

2Old- LSR on Thursday sounds good, it will give you enough time to recover before Sunday.  What's the target for the 10k?  Is it flat?

AA- take it easy with the calf for another few days is the sensible answer. Now, can you be sensible?

Simon- well done for getting in your targets. Hope the heels are back to normal soon, in a meantime enjoy the rower.

FRC- Yes, as long as there are no surprises I will be hoping for 1:32(ish) in Reading I think. Judging by your speed sub 3:15 should be very much within your grasp.

Minni- oh no, not the snow again.

No snow in London but a very sunny and crisp morning for a change. Subjected the shins to foam rolling, icing, deep freeze, nuerofen and compression socks last night and something seems to have done the trick (I wish I knew what it was for the future reference). Had a great 8.5m easy run into work this morning @ 8:20. Now I just need to convince Moz that I'm fully recovered and ready to do some intervals (and pigs can fly).

M.r Zuvai    pirate
05/02/2013 at 09:42
Freemers wrote (see)

FRC - what time did you predict on your VLM form? If you said anything under 3.30 (which I assume you did) then the furthest pen back you'll be is 3 - no problem at all from there. You'll be over the line in a couple of minutes and shouldn't have any problem getting up to speed. What start are you on?

that's fantastic news for me to hear - the crowded nature of VLM was a major concern for me - the two times i've run it have been from pens 5 or 6 on the blue and red starts and the crowds for the first 5 miles have been horrendous.

im on the blue start again, but sure that my target time i entered was less than 3.30

one day you'll have the gents from this thread for company on the green start!

05/02/2013 at 09:57

Morning all.  Thanks so much for all the wise words here, it's really helped.  I'm going to just carry on as I am and MTFU   I've booked my accommodation but no payment is required until I rock up.  Flights are easy to get and it's not Easter or half-term or anything so prices won't be stupid even if I book last minute.  So I'm going to aim for 3:59 and see what happens.

I did my first session today, nothing massive as psychologically I just needed to get something done without failing, and also this is the first test my calf has had for a long time so I erred on the small side.  I did 45 mins with 5x5 mins at 8m/m with 90 seconds recovery and it all felt very comfortable.  I am super pleased with how I felt so I guess all those spin sessions have really helped keep my fitness levels up, it's just the endurance which has obviously dropped off.  But I feel much happier having done that and my calf feels good.  I'm in my compression socks just in case.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
05/02/2013 at 09:59

AA - she's training for the Portsmouth Coastal half - i love the Portsmouth Costal series as they all start and finish across the road from us! terribly convenient!!  

Bro - great news that the shins are feeling better! ps - how do roll your shins?

Minni - Rubbish that you've got snow again - im sick of winter and we've only had 1 week of snow!! you'll be speaking Innuit soon at this rate!!

05/02/2013 at 10:01

MrZ- I only found out last night. MrB had a ball watching me do it.

Shin foam rolling exercises

05/02/2013 at 10:06

SS- 5 x 5min @ 8mm sounds very good! Did you do it outside? If that feels comfortable I really think you can give it a good bash and who knows you might surprise yourself. Very glad you decided to carry on.

05/02/2013 at 10:09
Brolish, thanks for posting that, will have to give it a go. So glad your shins are feeling back to normal
05/02/2013 at 10:10

Morning all.  Thanks so much for all the wise words here, it's really helped.  I'm going to just carry on as I am and MTFU   I've booked my accommodation but no payment is required until I rock up.  Flights are easy to get and it's not Easter or half-term or anything so prices won't be stupid even if I book last minute.  So I'm going to aim for 3:59 and see what happens.

I did my first session today, nothing massive as psychologically I just needed to get something done without failing, and also this is the first test my calf has had for a long time so I erred on the small side.  I did 45 mins with 5x5 mins at 8m/m with 90 seconds recovery and it all felt very comfortable.  I am super pleased with how I felt so I guess all those spin sessions have really helped keep my fitness levels up, it's just the endurance which has obviously dropped off.  But I feel much happier having done that and my calf feels good.  I'm in my compression socks just in case.

Dubai Dave    pirate
05/02/2013 at 11:01
Gardening today consisted of telling the gardener what to do ( yes we do have a gardener but I don't employ him the landlord does) so went for a 2K swim and will cycle in a bit.

Last nights club run was quickish and my calves coped OK so getting my legs back post marathon.

Minni: snow is inevitable when you live In the artic circle

SS: good to see you back on track

MrZ: you would not believe how many things we have to sort before we leave.

Right off to mow the sand
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.