RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,161 to 26,180 of 37,465 messages
05/02/2013 at 19:52
2old - I remember at school, if you forgot your shorts for sport, they made you do it in your under crackers, no excuses. You should of done that!
05/02/2013 at 19:57

Decided to do the intervals tonight as I am out both tonight and tomorrow evening [one work. one pleasure].  8 x 600m with 200m recovery.  Did a 1.5 mile warm-up then set off on the reps, having measured tham out on the only flat road near us.  I was able to do 2 intervals and one recovery before hitting a hill , so repeated the stretch 4 times, twice in each direction.  Sadly it was in the exact direction of the gale force wind, so first two reps evil, next two relatively easy, repeat!  It rained and I had to dodge a couple of pavement cyclists and a couple of pathetic teenage boys whose comments were feeble even by their own low standards - unfortunately the nature of the session meant I had to pass them three times as they very slowly slouched along.

Cool down and stretch with the adductors complaining loudly and the hamstrings keeping up a background grumble

05/02/2013 at 19:59

Lol 2old.  You should have gone on the TM in your speedos!

I've been on the FGFA twice.  Its small and you don't have to queue for so long for the loos and you are over the line in 2 seconds.  But, I love the buzz of the green start and we always have such fun.  Freemers is right though, the Blue Championship will be the place to be next year for us ladies.   We'd soon lower the tone over there!

Yes interesting chat on slow runs over on the serious thread. 

05/02/2013 at 20:01

Brolish - I want (need) to learn some Polish.  Will you teach me a word a day?

05/02/2013 at 21:11

Evening All, some great runs going on and it looks like the racing season is starting up again.

I'm so glad I joined Team Minni on Marathon Talk as it has kept me running 6 days a week for the last month. Whilst on holiday(3 weeks ago) I managed to do 6x 1mile runs which I would never of done and carried on training once back.

Bro- Did I just read that whilst you were on holiday you did a few long runs and managed to run over 50miles???? You are one determined lady.

DD- Well done in the Dubai marathon. What will you be aiming for in the Abingdon marathon or is it too early to say? I've also got a place, did you get a place 2old?

I'm still doing a tempo run and a speed session with my club each week plus a long and medium run and 2 recovery runs by myself weekly, I'm not sure if I'm getting faster/slower so I will have to wait until the end of the month for a 10k race yikes.

SS- nice to see you back

Minni- Halo

05/02/2013 at 21:26

Back from the gym. 30 minutes elyptical  30 minutes rower  30 minutes weights with the beefcakes 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
05/02/2013 at 21:35

^ serious endurance spoons   

nice to see you Gazelle!

10 miles for me tonight: 2m WU, 6m tempo (averaging 6:48mm), 2m CD 

05/02/2013 at 22:15
Simon, what school did you go to that they made you do p.e n your undercrackers?! You can just imagine what today's pc bridgade would have to say about that!

Mr Z - nice tempo pace.

Spoons - do some classes at the gym - will be less boring for you.

S.S - I'm only spinning 2-3 times a week and yes am slowly coming back to fitness off the injury bench, spin has kept me sane while trying to avoid running but build myglute muscles up!

Slow jog last night and calf was fine, spun again tonight.
05/02/2013 at 22:45
Minni- if you knew where the gym was you'd know why I didn't. Only thing missing in the green start is a bar. Get to the blue start and you'll all be on TV. We are all serious about our runs here aren't we?
Simon- I'd have been arrested if I did that
MrZ- excellent tempo ,puts the 14k @7.04 mm i squeezed in tonight in the shade.
Spoons- your getting great value from your gym
Gaz- I keep forgetting to apply for Abo....it's an age thing...forgetting.Will try tomorrow. . I have a plan to get my OH there. Solid training by you.
Kiwi- keep at it and you'll get there
05/02/2013 at 22:50
Kiwi - This was back in the 70's, when canning was the norm for any indiscipline. So doing the long jump in a sand pit in my undies, was a lot better than some of the other options. Btw, this was a private school, but not boarding, so luckily there was no 'fagging'.
05/02/2013 at 22:51
2old - me and AA have already been on the telly at the green start!

Glad to see you're progressing kiwi. How is Mr Kiwi's running?

Gazza - when's your 10k?

Spoons - good effort. Stick with it.
05/02/2013 at 23:17
Minni- oh yes I forgot you were on the telly a lot last year.
Simon- one school I went to had a PE teacher who made us go commando under our shorts so we always had dry underwear to put on afterwards. He'd probably be arrested today.Forgetting shorts was not an option.The cane was used there too but no one was frightened of it . Tell that to the kids today and they'll never believe you! It was that school that put me off running for decades.
Dubai Dave    pirate
06/02/2013 at 05:16

Morning

I too had a few sadistic PE teachers who use to threaten the world but never acually did anything, but forget your shorts and it was definately underpants time, not that I ever forgot I was and still am sports mad.

Gazelle: See you at Abo, If I get the training in I would like to have another go at 3-15. However with the amount of people I have asking me to "consult" for them when I get home I might be a lot busier work wise than I have been for years.

Will cycle in a bit, then intervals tonight, the hard bit of being on gardening leave is going to be not to over train.

I'm ulikely to ever be on any start at London though I will run Boston in 2014

Spoons: are you going to turn into a muscle bound monster?

06/02/2013 at 07:35

Kiwi:  Gym classes in your knickers was the norm in my day - big navy blue bloomers as I recall   Never occurred to us that it was odd in any way - and did at least mean that you were unlikely to forget your kit

06/02/2013 at 08:33

Mr Z - well done on your tempo run. That pace is bang on my 10K PB!

2Old - your Jan/Feb/Mar plan from a couple of pages back is pretty much exactly what I need to follow this time. As for your PE teacher, it sounds like he would end up in the clink these days, yes!

My worst PE memory was of going out for double-football and coming back to find someone had nicked my shoes. Ended up having to wear some god-awful things from lost property for the rest of the day. The kid that nicked them then tried to sell them back to me a few days later - idiot! 

Brolish - really well done on your time at Watford. Is a toughy, so bodes really well for PBs at Reading and VLM.

So, I had an absolutely crazy weekend in Toulouse. Was amazing fun, but I think I drank my body weight in beer, red wine, mojitos and vodka whilst watching Toulouse lose 0-4 against PSG and sitting in bars watching the rugby (was very funny watching the French lose after they were all supporting the Scots against us!).

So the good news was that I had a great time, however the bad news is that unsurprisingly, I'm now sick as a dog. Have an horrific cough/cold which means I won't have done any running for a week. Doesn't appear to be getting better either, so not ideal...  

06/02/2013 at 09:36
No chance to get online for a while. Seemed to have ended up doing several peoples' jobs at once which isn't leaving much time for training or coming online. On train now so finally chance to catch up.

In the meantime there's been lots of consistent training going on. Highlights including ultras from FRC and O4S plus Brol's fast half. Are you still top in janitsnotacompalous?

SS good to see you back. There are a few of us injured or coming back and it certainly helps me to hear how others in the same situation are doing.

Spoons, tough decision but sounds like the right one.

DD, gardening leave, lucky you!
06/02/2013 at 10:56
Kiwi. wrote (see)
Spoons - do some classes at the gym - will be less boring for you. 

I'm thinking about Bodypump....

Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Spoons: are you going to turn into a muscle bound monster? 

I'll be looking like Arnie soon

Another 2.5km swim this morning....

06/02/2013 at 11:12

DD-good luck with the not overtraining.Have you done Boston before? Its a good race to get a fast time even with Heartbreak Hill.

O4S-I remember the girls having to dress like that too...very funny.

Red-Cant guarantee my plan will work but its worth a try. Wish I was there to watch the French fans suffering as their team were beaten by Italy. Doesnt everyone support the team playing Englands rugby team?

Becsa-good to see you back

Looked at the weather for Sundays 10k -light showers, 4c feeling like 1c 13mph Sw winds with 16mph gusts. Tropical compared with Minnis weather but not pb . Not sure about the wind as there's absolutely no shelter.Looking forward to it.

Read some of the thread about slower LRs, very interesting and a good excuse to slow them down a bit more but I suppose that means speeding up a few of the others.I always feel Im risking injury when I do that -maybe thats how it should be up to a point.

06/02/2013 at 11:27

Hi guys- advice time. This years london is my first marathon in 5 years although i regularly run halfs usually 8 a year and countless 10ks. I average 30-35 miles a week usually but am running 50s in the build up to london. My marathon pb is 3.19 in 2001 and my last was 3.26 in nottingham five years ago. I am exploring the idea of running london followed by my local marathon of the north the following week. Any of you guys done back to back marathons off similar mileage and how have they gone.

06/02/2013 at 11:28
Spoons - Yes go to bodypump, or another class, and stand at the back and just enjoy the Ahem, scenery, it will soon go by.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.