RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,201 to 26,220 of 37,317 messages
06/02/2013 at 15:49

But if you take my session tonight you will also have to get up at 4:30am to get a 10 miler in before you get the kids ready for school, prepare the evening meal and be out the house for 7:30am.....

M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/02/2013 at 15:58

- christ! i can just about handle the cat! even then he gets the better of me occationally!

no deal!!

06/02/2013 at 16:03

MrZ- 15?thats where you are going wrong, think you are only doing 13 like I did today,then do two more to cool down.Easy

Minni-good luck with all that-Im watching England tonight with my feet up, resting for my LR tomorrow.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/02/2013 at 16:13

i like your logic  

if i chuck in a 2 warm up - then it's only 11! Hurrah!

06/02/2013 at 17:09
MrZ- then it's only one more than the 10. Easy
Dubai Dave    pirate
06/02/2013 at 18:05
Shildon: when I have done marathons a week apart my 2nd one has been about 30 mins slower. I don't do anymore cos as Minni says its a bugger to recover from, of course if you run them both easy it's no big deal.

Intervals tonight 10 x 400 off 1 min recoveries went 86/86/84/82/81/81/80/79/82/85 not too shabby after two hours on the bike this morning. I love not having to get up at 0430 to train. ( sorry Minni)
06/02/2013 at 18:15

Shildon -  welcome, I ran 2 maras 5 weeks apart last autumn and raced both.Even though the second was only 3 mins slower than the first the last 3 miles were very grim.

Zuvai -  Very nice tempo, did n't you say a few pages ago you were struggling with speed endurance, what's your VLM target? Enjoy your 15.

7 miles for me, very cold wind, inlcluding 4 miles at 7:06 avg.

06/02/2013 at 18:27
. I have just done intervals and enjoyed them. I must be turning into a bloke!
06/02/2013 at 18:37
Minni- i do need to improve endurance rather than racing through long runs. Previously all marathon training was done with fellow club members but none are marathon training now so I train alone which has advantages and disadvantages. I can do my own thing but when you are having a bad patch there's noone to help pull you along.

Old4speed - I was looking at possibly london to brighton

2oldnever - yes I have plenty of speed. Was good at track at school and enjoy mile reps etc but need to learn to run LONG and SLOW.

Barryb - well done that the last 3 sounds like you had to dig deep but fair play for 2 at same pace

DD - taking all your comments on board and good session. I expected to be about half hour down but the 2nd time is not really important. Suppose I'm experimenting at the wrong time.
DD -
06/02/2013 at 19:04
Minni - enjoying intervals??!! Whatever next... Well done.

MrZ - enjoy your 15....mad. I've never done that as an mlr. That's brilliant.

Welcome shild. Never done back to backs. But sounds like you've got yor head in right place.

Barry - nice tempo. That you chilling til Sunday now?

9 miles easy with strides for me this morning. Bloody freezing.
06/02/2013 at 19:07
Barry - you have mail.
06/02/2013 at 20:16

Shildon runner - I've done a few back to back marathons with varying results, each time though it's taken me too long to recover after the second.  I actually dropped out of the Town Moor marathon last year as it was 4 weeks after Berlin and I could feel that familiar goosed feeling in my legs and didn't want to have 3-4 months of mediocre training and racing.  My best double was 3:29 / 3:33 but that was with 6 weeks in between. There's only a week between London and Sunderland, do you really need to do it?  There's always the half or the 10K? 

Minni - I usually enjoy intervals too

06/02/2013 at 20:58

Hi Shildon - I also dropped out of North Norfolk marathon last year, a few weeks after London for the same reasons as Carrot. I've done plenty of back to back slow marathons and they are fine.

tonight was the same as last night: 30 mins elyptical + 30 mins rower + 30 mins weights / core

Simon - you use the rower a lot don't you? Do you wear gloves? I am developing blisters on my fingers

06/02/2013 at 21:27
Spoons ...girl!
06/02/2013 at 22:06
Spoons - Yes if you grip the handle too tight, you can get blisters. So wearing gloves will solve the problem, but it won't correct faultly technique, ie too tight a grip. The concept 2 website has great tips on training/technique...here's what they say about a tense body and a tight grip....
RELAX! Relax the shoulders down, unclench the teeth and relax the jaw. Keep a LIGHT hold on the handle.

What I do is, when I pull the handle, I try and keep my thumbs above the handle, this will stop you from gripping the handle too tightly
My hands also get hot and sweaty, so I move them around on the handle after a couple of mins in each position, and on the recovery stroke, I just hold it with one finger and thumb, to try and cool my hands down also.
Edited: 06/02/2013 at 22:12
06/02/2013 at 22:09
Wtf Simon?!!
06/02/2013 at 22:16
Minni - I thought you girls would lower the tone, when it comes to hot and sweaty hands on the recovery stroke.
06/02/2013 at 22:17
Lol!
06/02/2013 at 22:22

AA - Probably just 5 miles slow tomorrow and that will be it until Sunday, been getting a bit ahead of plan.

06/02/2013 at 22:34
Shildon - Welcome to the thread. I'm not quite as black and white as some others on here re the 2 maras in a week topic. I ran VLM and Milton Keynes last year, and ran well at London (3.27), recovered well and felt ready for MK. I took ice baths, swam, cross-trained and ran the sum total of only 8 miles in the week in between. Unfortunately my MK time was scuppered by 50 mph wind, torrential rain, puddles up to your knees and the final straw was slipping over at approx 22m. Despite all of these, I was ticking along nicely until the slip and was feeling good, running consistent 7.30 min miles, but finished in 3.45. However, I think that it can be done.
After MK, I ran well in my clubs May races (4 races of between 4.5 - 6 miles), and felt good afterwards. My mistake however was to not continue having 4 weekly massages and then succumbed to calf injuries that only cleared up before Christmas! So don't scrimp on these would be my advice.

12 miles of living hell from me tonight as I wimped out (well it was snowing!) and did it on the dm. Gym a/c had broken (seems to be a recurring theme) and it was roasting in there. Anyway, got it done and have lost 5 stone!!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.