RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,201 to 26,220 of 36,985 messages
06/02/2013 at 13:53

Shildon - welcome to the thread! I've never done back to back marathons myself, but there was a guy on here last year (or maybe the year before) who ran them three weeks in a row all sub 3.30 I think (or very close to it). So I guess it can be done. But not really worth worrying about until London's done and then see how you feel.

Bro - if you're running at Denbies do you get to taste some wine afterwards?

06/02/2013 at 14:34

Freemers that was Mark D.  He ran 3 marathons with 3 weeks and got faster with each one if I remember rightly.  We've not heard from him since though so not sure how the recovery went!

Shildon - in Edinburgh last year I gave up around the 10 mile mark knowing it wasn't going to happen so just ran/walked the rest hoping that approach would not leave me too tired.  It did though.

Who else has entered the GNR ballot?  We should hear any day.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/02/2013 at 14:47
Minni wrote (see)

Freemers that was Mark D.  He ran 3 marathons with 3 weeks and got faster with each one if I remember rightly.  We've not heard from him since though so not sure how the recovery went!

i was wracking my brain trying to remember that name!  - had a long old chat with him at MK too

From memory he did that off vey high millage though

06/02/2013 at 14:50

Shildon -welcome , Ive never done 2 in close proximity and probably wont ever but I think Minni is worth listening to. Unless you are someone who is just happy jogging round for the second thats ok but if you are a type A charatcter like most here on this thread you will have a time in mind and thats when it will get tough but then again there is the example of Mark D mentioned above. Wonder what he might have done if he put everything into one? Thats the question you may ask after the second ,did you leave something in you for the second? If so did you underperform in your A race? Its your choice

Minni-GNR? Not me-hope you get in.

21k at just over 8mm pace ie slower than usual as per Kier thread.Found it harder as it seemed I was always holding back or maybe I was just tired after yestrdays swim and tempo. 3 Febtastics done

06/02/2013 at 14:55
Brol - I need to learn Polish for that very reason. I'm communicating with Polish people regularly and neither of us has a clue what the other is saying!

Lets start with: "hello, do you speak English"?
06/02/2013 at 15:09

freemers - think that is the plan see how london goes. Thats the main aim first to compllete that.

Minni - was your aim to record good times in both before the bad patch at edinburgh?

2oldnever - I am hoping to run 3.20 ish for london and was just going to run sunderland and anything under 4 hours being a bonus. The marathon has always been a strange event for me. For years i ran half marathons between 1.20 and 1.30 but could never get any where near what the books say for marathons based on those times. I used to train with guys the same speed at my club and all the long runs and training were good but on race days i was always down on my target. i suppose like with markd for example everyone is different. I did say five years ago i will never run another marathon but here i am again and now i also have my sights on an ultra in 2015.

06/02/2013 at 15:17
Shildon - the first time I was too naive to know ant better and thought I could do both in a good time. The second time I should have known better!! But I thought the fitness of built up over the year might see me good. However, as soon as I knew it wasn't going to be I dropped back.

It sounds like you need to concentrate more on endurance to carry your speed through to a fast marathon? Are you doing that this time?
06/02/2013 at 15:23

Shildon:  If you are planning a 30 mile ultra you don't need to do anything more than marathon training.  You really only need to up the distance / endurance if you are planning 50+ miles.  As an aside, if you want to enjoy the ultra make sure you do it off-road and check whether navigation skills are involved.

06/02/2013 at 15:37

Shildon-looks like you have lots of speed-I'd loved to have run a 1.20 HM, so its all about endurance in your case-lots of slow -did you do fast LRs with your pals?- miles and training for the ultra will make a big difference.O4S is the ultra expert here.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/02/2013 at 15:40

i dunno why but im really dreading the MLR tonight  

i was completely unfazed by the 22 miles on Sunday or the 10 miles last night, but suddenly throw in a 15 and i turn all cowardly!

06/02/2013 at 15:44

I've got 1.5m intervals tonight at HMP.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/02/2013 at 15:45

can we swap? i've started to really enjoy the faster stuff!

06/02/2013 at 15:49

But if you take my session tonight you will also have to get up at 4:30am to get a 10 miler in before you get the kids ready for school, prepare the evening meal and be out the house for 7:30am.....

M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/02/2013 at 15:58

- christ! i can just about handle the cat! even then he gets the better of me occationally!

no deal!!

06/02/2013 at 16:03

MrZ- 15?thats where you are going wrong, think you are only doing 13 like I did today,then do two more to cool down.Easy

Minni-good luck with all that-Im watching England tonight with my feet up, resting for my LR tomorrow.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/02/2013 at 16:13

i like your logic  

if i chuck in a 2 warm up - then it's only 11! Hurrah!

06/02/2013 at 17:09
MrZ- then it's only one more than the 10. Easy
Dubai Dave    pirate
06/02/2013 at 18:05
Shildon: when I have done marathons a week apart my 2nd one has been about 30 mins slower. I don't do anymore cos as Minni says its a bugger to recover from, of course if you run them both easy it's no big deal.

Intervals tonight 10 x 400 off 1 min recoveries went 86/86/84/82/81/81/80/79/82/85 not too shabby after two hours on the bike this morning. I love not having to get up at 0430 to train. ( sorry Minni)
06/02/2013 at 18:15

Shildon -  welcome, I ran 2 maras 5 weeks apart last autumn and raced both.Even though the second was only 3 mins slower than the first the last 3 miles were very grim.

Zuvai -  Very nice tempo, did n't you say a few pages ago you were struggling with speed endurance, what's your VLM target? Enjoy your 15.

7 miles for me, very cold wind, inlcluding 4 miles at 7:06 avg.

06/02/2013 at 18:27
. I have just done intervals and enjoyed them. I must be turning into a bloke!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.