RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,221 to 26,240 of 37,209 messages
M.r Zuvai    pirate
06/02/2013 at 23:20
I'm so pleased that I came on here earlier and publicly stated that I was going to do 15m tonight - the thought of the shame of having to come on here to say I had wimped out was too much to bear!!

That 15 was definately much harder than Sunday's 22!
07/02/2013 at 04:55
Well done Z and Oompa.

Having coffee to wake me up for my 10m.....
07/02/2013 at 04:56
Barry/AA - what's the HM course like on Sunday?
07/02/2013 at 06:03
Brolish, thanks for posting that, will have to give it a go. So glad your shins are feeling back to normal
07/02/2013 at 06:05
Carrot and spoons it seems like most people have done back to backs with all the same advice about it hampering the rest of the season I take your comments on board.

Oompa massages are something I should do with my mileage getting higher but only usually have them on race days or at expos. Considering conditions it seems your mk time could have been a lot quicker if it was dry and fine.

Its windy out there at the moment but off out for 12 miles hilly run.
07/02/2013 at 06:22
MrZ - well done on that 15.

Minni, shild - good luck on your early morning runs.

Barry - I'm gonna do 5 easy this Morning and will have to do a gentle 3 tomorrow too because of febulous....grr!

Minni - Wokingham can be pretty bleak if its windy. The course has a couple of climbs in the first couple of miles over the A329 and the M4 and then you have a relatively flat 8 miles and the last 3 miles are the same as the first in reverse with the hills again. The only problem is it can get over crowded in te first few miles too.
07/02/2013 at 07:01
2oldnever wrote (see)
Only thing missing in the green start is a bar. 

Ha ha, 2old, love it!!!  What are the FGFA times for men and women?

Kiwi and Spoons, great work in the gym.  I know exactly how dull and boring it is so well done for getting through it.  I can thoroughly recommend the virtues of spin. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better, along came a very fit new instructor yesterday - hello  (good job OH not on this thread )

Simon, 2old, speedo sessions?  Commando sessions???  Made me laugh this morning so thanks for that!

Becs, so sorry to hear you're in the hurt locker  I had real mental battles with running towards the end of last year/beginning of this year.  It was magnified by an exceptionally stressful 2012.  To save my sanity, I decided to walk away for a bit and start again only when I was able, hence my silence for a while  I hope you are doing OK.

DD, gardening leave sounds great!  I will PM you re your club.  Boston 2014?  Nice 

Brolish, I was short on time so I did my session on TM.  Not as good, but I did have 1% incline and just completing it gave me a massive boost!!  I hope your recovery is now complete.  XC in Denbies sounds awesome, if only for the post-run vino, it being in a vineyard and all 

Shildon, hi there and good luck with back-to-back efforts!!

Loving the early runs from people today.  I hope they went well.

07/02/2013 at 07:06

AA - yes I'm a bit of a girl 

Simon - thanks - I'll try the thumb above the handle. Not sure about the jaws and teeth though. They don't get blisters.....

Minni - 4:55 WTF? Don't you get tired girl?

I've lost 2 pounds this week  and my moob muscles hurt from all this pumping iron 

07/02/2013 at 07:10

Easy session for me last night.  After the rubbishness of my Sunday run, I decided to Garmin-up but to ignore it and just relax and take it EASY.  Well, that kind of worked, but every time it beeped for a mile I had to look...  I didn't get disheartened as I went for a 1 hour run along the beach at sunset, it was truly beautiful   I didn't wear headphones as I wanted to really concentrate on how I was feeling, and also to spend some time appreciating my surroundings and to remind myself how very lucky I am to be running at all given my year last year.

Anyway, my splits for 6 miles were (ahem) 10:16; 9:34; 9:44; 9:56; 9:41; 9:25.  I'm sorry, everyone, you'll have to put up with some woeful times from me for a bit, but I'm just hoping that I get faster in the next few weeks.  Last night's run felt very easy so I picked up the pace at the end and the most important thing I'm taking away from it was that I felt very good when I finished, unlike on Sunday.  I also felt mentally refreshed and much better about VLM.

Today, I'm going to do some 800s.  Again, I'm going to TM them, just for the sake of ease and for my confidence.  I will fit in as many as I can in 45 mins, don't want to overdo it just yet.

07/02/2013 at 07:12

X-post Spoons.  I do exactly what Simon mentioned with my rowing machine technique, but I still find I get blisters once I start doing any row above 20 mins.  I use gloves.  I'm a girl and not afraid to admit it 

07/02/2013 at 08:22

Meeting tonight straight after work, with nowhere safe to leave the bikd - so parked car at meeting venue and ran 4 miles into work, which will make a reasonable double and ensure that nobody wants me to stay at the meeting for too long

Shildon:  I wouldn't consider an ultra on road, I even find marathons on tarmac pretty boring.  Might be worth considering a few warm-up events off-road, 30/40 milers to see how you get on.  Look at the events organised by the LDWA, very cheap compared to road races [I am paying £7 for 30 miles on Sunday with 4 cake stops and a hot meal at the end] and with people both running and walking the pressure is off and you can just enjoy it even if you are a bit slower than planned.

AA:  Good luck for Wokingham - got your recovery planned for Bramley?  I did a half marathon the week before Bramley last year and couldn't decide whether it helped or whether it was responsible for my legs dying on the second lap.

Spoons:  Give body pump a go!  I used to love those classes...........

07/02/2013 at 09:53

speed sheep hi- putting my garmin on is like putting my trainers on i cant leave home without it. Even on  slow runs or recoveries i still take it and always look when it beeps even though some of the time time is irrelevant.  Better than in the days pre sat nav when i would drive my routes to see what the mileage was. With fuel prices now i dont think that would be very good on the bank balance.(did anyone else do this or am i just crazy) 

old4speed 95% of my runs are on tarmac apart from track sessions and the odd cross country when the club are short. I am not a big lover of grass and trails and have never done much mileage on them ever. Theres more choice in these events off road than on tarmac but i dont know if this would affect my running style and cause injury changing surface after never training that way. Any advice?

Nice windy 12.6 mile hilly run this morning averaging 8.05-8.15s.

Just heard on the radio more snow predicted for next week

07/02/2013 at 10:28
Spoons - Re the rower, I think it was trying to say that tension in the head, neck, shoulders, causes tension in the arms, and makes people grip too tight. I have used cycling gloves on longer sessions, ie 30mins or an hour. My main problem is keeping the sweat out of my eyes, so I use a running cap.
07/02/2013 at 10:31

Minni - First time at Wokingham for me so I will defer to AA's knowledge but looking at last years results it attracts a lot of quick runners.  I'm impressed I've stayed ahead of you for a week on the challenge but you'll cruise past me over the next few days.

SS -  Don't worry about how fast just get those slow miles in to build the endurance back.

5 miles slow for me this morning and that's me until Sunday.  That gives me 61 miles for the week from last friday to today, which is the most i've done for a long time.

07/02/2013 at 10:42

Morning all.

Had difficulty sleeping last night so I get up at around five am and have a cup of tea.Quick look at this thread and whose up at silly o'clock posting? No need to name names-dedicated,organised,obsessed,time short,crazy...please choose which apply?

Minni-nice run before dawn...4.55am?????

Shildon-another early start-good run. I used to drive the route, then I used a webroute measurer , now my garmin. I like the subtle vibration in my wrist every so often...so cant do without it

MRZ-told you it would be easy

Spoons-only 2lbs? Think how much fat has been converted to muscle tooTry to stay off the steroids-you'll extend your jaw and spend a fortune on dental work

04S-another example of excellent planning

SS-re GFA-I think this is current-

MenTime (in hours)          Women       Time (in hours)
Age 18 - 40 2.45 -3.10       Age 18 - 49 3.15 - 3.50
Age 41 - 59 sub 3.15         Age 50 - 54 sub 4.00
Age 60 - 64 sub 3.30         Age 55 - 59 sub 4.15
Age 65 - 69 sub 4.00         Age 60 - 64 sub 4.30
Age 70+      sub 5.00         Age 65 - 69 sub 5.30
                                       Age 70+      sub 6.30

Sorry its a bit mixed up but I copied and pasted it. Looks like guaranteed entry for ever for the ladies on this thread...needs toughening up I think Am I going to keep getting sub 3.15 until Im 60? I dont think so.

The TM is not so bad to do a session on.Enjoy the 800s. Im ok rowing as I was brought up on a farm and my hands have remained extra tough ever since even tho I left that life too long ago to mention.

LR tonight if logistics permit. Bit worried about he weather especially as its perfect now.

07/02/2013 at 10:49

2old - LMAO re Spoons and his "roids" habit!

Question... Should we instigate an enquiry into the Jantastic performance of the Aussie, Aussie, Aussie team on MT, in light of this morning's doping revelations?????????

Rest day and a massage for me today, but might get on the rower to investigate Simon's "technique" advice! 

07/02/2013 at 11:00
Shildon - are you in the NE?
07/02/2013 at 11:02

2old- Have you sent in your entry form for Abo? The online entry is now closed! You might get in if you post your entry today.

DD- I'll join you on the 3:15 train at Abo, yikes did I just commit to sub 3:15! Best I get some good training in

Shildon Runner- Welcome to the thread, you definitely have the speed just keep cranking up the mileage.

SS- Well done on your run, as you say at least you can

Minni- Do you ever sleep? I only see one 4o'clock and that's when i'm making the kids their evening meal.

Oompa- Which "Rower" will you be using?

I did a speed session last night consisting of 100m sprint, 100m jog,, 200m sprint, 200m jog, 400m sprint, 90's recovery x 5 I found it very good, paces were between 6:02- 6:27.(I only kept the 6:02's for the 100m)

07/02/2013 at 11:05

Oomp- So the Aussies use one approach to performance enhancement and Simon uses another...but which is legal? Looks like you're adding massage to the list.

Simon-try a 70s style sweat band. The other technique to keep sweat out of the eyes is to smear vaseline above them to create a sort of wall to direct the sweat down the side of your face.-an idea suggested in RW sometime in the past.It works until you rub your forehead towards your eyes in the same motion then everything goes blurred for a while.

Barry-big mileage and a good feeling knowing that you're also ahead. Im feeling a bit stressed knowing Ive got a lot to fit in due to the time lost due to a ski break coming up.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
07/02/2013 at 11:11

the vasiline trick works for me  - only a very thin line so its not visible, but it channels all sweat round the eyes down the side of your face

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.