RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,241 to 26,260 of 37,128 messages
07/02/2013 at 11:18

Oompa - ah memories of Milton Keynes are still very fresh. What conditions eh. And the queue to get gear at the end when everyone was going hyopthermic in the car park. Guess you can't legislate for the weather - but they could have handled that better. Probably going to be scorching this year!

Vaseline on the forehead, ew.

2old - that's the GFA - what about the FGFA - what are the times for that?

07/02/2013 at 11:38

Gazelle - Hi thanks, my plan is to work on my endurance and hopefully with my speed already ok i should start seeing my long distance times creep back down to what they were 10 years ago good speed session by the way. Ive got 1200 reps tonight which i enjoy

Minni - yes i am in Shildon which is 8 miles outside of Darlington. In the north but not as far north as you.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 11:39
07/02/2013 at 11:46

Bogged down at work yesterday

O4S: well done getting those intervals done in those conditions. I hate encountering random teenagers whilst running .

Good to see Gazelle and Becs popping in.

Minni: enjoy learning Polish. Friend of mine married a Polish guy, lived there, studied the language and now works as a translator for the European Union in Brussels. Amazing. She told me it's goddamn difficult though. Well done on the intervals!

Mr. Z: totally understand you dreading the MLR. I have two this week ...  And because of ice and dreadful conditions yesterday it now means I have to do them back to back. 13 d&d at 4:20 am ; 14 tomorrow . Unless .....   I did the 2nd one on Saturday but is that really clever with a 20 including 10 @ MP on Sunday ??   

Spoons: bored of the gym yet? Concept rowers are evil

Welcome Shildon - you won't believe it but I used to visit Shildon regularly back in the 90s when I worked for Courtaulds in Germany ...  done back to back marathons, albeit 2 weeks apart and the second was painful to say the least. I did about 50 mile weeks back then (Furman plan), so in hindsight it was a dumb idea. Off of high mileage it may be a different story. Never underestimate what two marathons can take out of you.

Met a weirdo this morning that was just about to nick my water bottle (the contents of which were frozen i. e. left it to collect at the end of the run). Think I startled him as I ran towards him full pelt shouting oi, you moron - that's mine !! anyway, he dropped it

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 11:47
07/02/2013 at 11:59

Ant - I managed to get a VLM space blanket at MK as i was shivering so much waiting for my stuff that a kindly lady wrapped me in it. Hopefully they will learn from their (many) mistakes this year but never again for me!!!

2old - Maybe we should consult Lance???

I have a Vaseline trick, but i'd rather not talk about it!

07/02/2013 at 12:19

Please don't Oompa

Minni:  got your cheap rail tickets?  I only remembered mine today but luckily still able to get them at a good price.

Shildon:  I think our approaches to running are so different that any advice I give you will be unhelpful.  I ran for over 30 years without a Garmin and still only use one sporadically [e.g. never use it to time intervals].  I just like to run, preferably in nice surroundings with some mates, mixed terrain and the chance of a cuppa at the end!   When you are running for a long period I find it helps to have different surfaces as you don't get the same problems with overuse injuries - I always feel worse after a road race in terms of stiffness / aches than I do after an off-road ultra. Once you are off-road the weather conditions are far more significant that they are on-road, so no two events are truly comparable - even the same route from one year to the next.  Also if you take any two ultras of the same nominal distance you can't compare times as the terrain will often be significantly different [more mud / hills / dense undergrowth etc].

If you are someone who likes to monitor pace, go for a time, wants the route signed / marshalled and doesn't want to carry any kit, then on-road will suit you better.  Horses for courses as they say.

Chick:  a water bottle????!!! What the...........................

07/02/2013 at 12:42
chickadeee wrote (see)

Bogged down at work yesterday

O4S: well done getting those intervals done in those conditions. I hate encountering random teenagers whilst running .

Good to see Gazelle and Becs popping in.

Minni: enjoy learning Polish. Friend of mine married a Polish guy, lived there, studied the language and now works as a translator for the European Union in Brussels. Amazing. She told me it's goddamn difficult though. Well done on the intervals!

Mr. Z: totally understand you dreading the MLR. I have two this week ...  And because of ice and dreadful conditions yesterday it now means I have to do them back to back. 13 d&d at 4:20 am ; 14 tomorrow . Unless .....   I did the 2nd one on Saturday but is that really clever with a 20 including 10 @ MP on Sunday ??   

Spoons: bored of the gym yet? Concept rowers are evil

Welcome Shildon - you won't believe it but I used to visit Shildon regularly back in the 90s when I worked for Courtaulds in Germany ...  done back to back marathons, albeit 2 weeks apart and the second was painful to say the least. I did about 50 mile weeks back then (Furman plan), so in hindsight it was a dumb idea. Off of high mileage it may be a different story. Never underestimate what two marathons can take out of you.

Met a weirdo this morning that was just about to nick my water bottle (the contents of which were frozen i. e. left it to collect at the end of the run). Think I startled him as I ran towards him full pelt shouting oi, you moron - that's mine !! anyway, he dropped it

Chick - Have you ever considered a career in public relations?

07/02/2013 at 12:44

old4speed - i have been running for 15 years roughly with 1 year out when my first child was born and my business was establishing so someone with your experience with over 30 years under your belt for me is worth listening to. You are probably right i think the road type ultras where you are not carrying kit would suit me more and same from a pace point of view. I like the idea of canal path type runs etc. At the moment i need to get the marathons out of the way and then look at the ultra with a long term plan.

chickadee - Hi i take your comments on board re the marathon it seems it could be a bad idea but i will probably make a decision after london as i do not know what will happen at london. As you know anything can happen over 26.2. Yes courtaulds known locally as the paint factory i think you are referring to? Its still there and very important for local employment as after the 80s when the train building left our area we have very little local employment.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 12:46
07/02/2013 at 12:46
2old - Thanks for the Vaseline tip, but a 70's headband will make the top of my head look like a boiled egg.

Spoons - Forgot to mention, I presume as you're an ultra runner, you're not 15-16stone, so you don't want the resistance on 10. All that will do is knacker your arms and upper body, before your legs are tired. I'm about 12st, and usually have it on 4-5, for anything longer than 2000m.
07/02/2013 at 12:52

Shil - ah right, you're in the Midlands!

O4S - yes I got 4 return tickets for £116!  Although I think Miss Minni will stay at home this time.

Oompa - I don't think you necessarily need a rower to try out Simon's technique. 

Gazelle - Believe me I'd rather be in bed at 4am too!  However, I need to leave the house by 7:30 and won't be home till about 9 tonight so needed to get the run in before work.

Oompa - sorry going back a bit but you said that you thought your calf injury was due to lack of massage?  I'd say its far more likely that you didn't give your muscles enough time to recover and repair from the marathon and therefore going into a month of short races etc took its toll.  Massage would have helped but recovering time is what is needed. 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
07/02/2013 at 12:53

Oompa / Ant - great memories from MK  - i particulary liked your discription Oompa - it makes us sound very heroic!!
My favorite part was because the weather was so bad all the supporters congregated in the underpasses, and with the echoing effect in there every time we ran through one it sounded like a stadium full worth of noise!!
was freezing at the finish - never shaken so much in my life - getting dressed in a pub toilets took my 1/2 hr cause my hands wouldnt work!

07/02/2013 at 12:59
Oompa wrote (see)

do they shout at random water bottle nickers in PR ?

07/02/2013 at 13:01

yep, Shil, it was the paint factory. I worked for Courtaulds Aerospace (no longer in existence) and Shildon was one of our production sites for aircraft paint.

07/02/2013 at 13:02

Minni- brilliant intervals yesterday. Ok, here we go:  ' Dzien dobry, czy mowisz po angielsku?'. Pronunciation might be a bit of an issue, I think a podcast might be a good idea...

Shildon- Hi. I've never done two maras back to back so can't help but judging by what everyone else says it's a tough task.

Oompa- nice dm session. Better you than me.

SSheep- nice session. I think you will find that your pace will improve very quickly. Running along the beach at sunset, hey? Very jealous! Good luck with 800s today.

Chick- a weirdo indeed.  You must've frightened him to death.  Where did you hide the bottle by the way?

Rest day for me today.

07/02/2013 at 13:57
chickadeee wrote (see)
Oompa wrote (see)

do they shout at random water bottle nickers in PR ?

Chick - Not sure but i think the "oi, you moron", would work in many different scenarios? 

Mr Z - I changed in one of the windy, cold walkways in Stadium MK and that seemed to take forever as my fingers had been replaced with 10 flappy bits of skin that wouldn't do what they were instructed to! The underpasses, and crowd support in general was superb! I wouldn't have wanted to be standing around in that!!

Minni - I didn't do very much at all after the May races, as i tend not to run as much in the Summer as i really struggle in heat, but continued massages would definitely have helped. I got the familiar tightness and lump in my right calf last night after my dm session, but thankfully it was after i'd stopped, so after stretching and a lot of foam rollering, i hope i've gotten away with it? Massage tonight will tell the tale. 

07/02/2013 at 14:35

Ant-dont know about FGFA , I just ended up there after running Boston in 3.11 and was there last year after a deferral due to injury.Im assuming I will be there after scraping under 3.15 at VLM last year but I dont know if I am . I think you can tell from the no you are allocated but I have not looked.I guess all men who go under 3.10 will be there but not sure how they allocate old fellas and the women. Maybe others here will know

Simon-I tend to use the ergo near 10 when Im unable to swim and rowing as a swimming replacement otherwise mid level is best. I still hate it though

Mrz-If it carries on like this VLM will be the same this year

Chick-did you shout that in German or English-bet it sounds great in German. Rather you than me doing  2 ??MLRs in those conditions

Minni-great early run. Dont you start learning languages with the swear words first?

Oomp-Every Summer I try to beat 40mins for the 10k  which I have failed to do every time,  so I now do the odd triathlon and aquathlon. A bit of variety to give my old legs a bit of recovery and build up my puny body.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 14:36
07/02/2013 at 14:52
Minni - haha yes compared to you. wherever i go in the country people say youre a geordie but im 35 miles from newcastle.

Chickadee - not totally sure but i think its american owned now. Quite a few of our club runners work there in the labs and have done for years.
07/02/2013 at 15:23
I'm right up on the Border so people in Scotland think I'm a Geordie but people in Newcastle think I'm Scottish. Somewhere in between!
07/02/2013 at 15:40
O4S - really unsure what my plans are for Bramley. Think I will see how I feel after Sunday but def no more than 10 easyish 10mp like last year.

5 miles easy done for me. Don't think I will run tomorrow. Calfs feeling tight again
07/02/2013 at 16:07

AA:  maybe we could do the first 10 easy together like last year, then I can eat your dust round the second lap.  Will be in touch nearer the time - had sort of forgotten that i am doing 30 this Sunday

07/02/2013 at 16:18
Minni - its nice up there ive done jedburgh half, norham 10 k and beadnell/ alnmouth over the years.

Old4speed - good luck with the 30 this week.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.