RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,261 to 26,280 of 36,986 messages
07/02/2013 at 12:52

Shil - ah right, you're in the Midlands!

O4S - yes I got 4 return tickets for £116!  Although I think Miss Minni will stay at home this time.

Oompa - I don't think you necessarily need a rower to try out Simon's technique. 

Gazelle - Believe me I'd rather be in bed at 4am too!  However, I need to leave the house by 7:30 and won't be home till about 9 tonight so needed to get the run in before work.

Oompa - sorry going back a bit but you said that you thought your calf injury was due to lack of massage?  I'd say its far more likely that you didn't give your muscles enough time to recover and repair from the marathon and therefore going into a month of short races etc took its toll.  Massage would have helped but recovering time is what is needed. 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
07/02/2013 at 12:53

Oompa / Ant - great memories from MK  - i particulary liked your discription Oompa - it makes us sound very heroic!!
My favorite part was because the weather was so bad all the supporters congregated in the underpasses, and with the echoing effect in there every time we ran through one it sounded like a stadium full worth of noise!!
was freezing at the finish - never shaken so much in my life - getting dressed in a pub toilets took my 1/2 hr cause my hands wouldnt work!

07/02/2013 at 12:59
Oompa wrote (see)
Chick - Have you ever considered a career in public relations?

do they shout at random water bottle nickers in PR ?

07/02/2013 at 13:01

yep, Shil, it was the paint factory. I worked for Courtaulds Aerospace (no longer in existence) and Shildon was one of our production sites for aircraft paint.

07/02/2013 at 13:02

Minni- brilliant intervals yesterday. Ok, here we go:  ' Dzien dobry, czy mowisz po angielsku?'. Pronunciation might be a bit of an issue, I think a podcast might be a good idea...

Shildon- Hi. I've never done two maras back to back so can't help but judging by what everyone else says it's a tough task.

Oompa- nice dm session. Better you than me.

SSheep- nice session. I think you will find that your pace will improve very quickly. Running along the beach at sunset, hey? Very jealous! Good luck with 800s today.

Chick- a weirdo indeed.  You must've frightened him to death.  Where did you hide the bottle by the way?

Rest day for me today.

07/02/2013 at 13:57
chickadeee wrote (see)
Oompa wrote (see)
Chick - Have you ever considered a career in public relations?

do they shout at random water bottle nickers in PR ?

Chick - Not sure but i think the "oi, you moron", would work in many different scenarios? 

Mr Z - I changed in one of the windy, cold walkways in Stadium MK and that seemed to take forever as my fingers had been replaced with 10 flappy bits of skin that wouldn't do what they were instructed to! The underpasses, and crowd support in general was superb! I wouldn't have wanted to be standing around in that!!

Minni - I didn't do very much at all after the May races, as i tend not to run as much in the Summer as i really struggle in heat, but continued massages would definitely have helped. I got the familiar tightness and lump in my right calf last night after my dm session, but thankfully it was after i'd stopped, so after stretching and a lot of foam rollering, i hope i've gotten away with it? Massage tonight will tell the tale. 

07/02/2013 at 14:35

Ant-dont know about FGFA , I just ended up there after running Boston in 3.11 and was there last year after a deferral due to injury.Im assuming I will be there after scraping under 3.15 at VLM last year but I dont know if I am . I think you can tell from the no you are allocated but I have not looked.I guess all men who go under 3.10 will be there but not sure how they allocate old fellas and the women. Maybe others here will know

Simon-I tend to use the ergo near 10 when Im unable to swim and rowing as a swimming replacement otherwise mid level is best. I still hate it though

Mrz-If it carries on like this VLM will be the same this year

Chick-did you shout that in German or English-bet it sounds great in German. Rather you than me doing  2 ??MLRs in those conditions

Minni-great early run. Dont you start learning languages with the swear words first?

Oomp-Every Summer I try to beat 40mins for the 10k  which I have failed to do every time,  so I now do the odd triathlon and aquathlon. A bit of variety to give my old legs a bit of recovery and build up my puny body.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 14:36
07/02/2013 at 14:52
Minni - haha yes compared to you. wherever i go in the country people say youre a geordie but im 35 miles from newcastle.

Chickadee - not totally sure but i think its american owned now. Quite a few of our club runners work there in the labs and have done for years.
07/02/2013 at 15:23
I'm right up on the Border so people in Scotland think I'm a Geordie but people in Newcastle think I'm Scottish. Somewhere in between!
07/02/2013 at 15:40
O4S - really unsure what my plans are for Bramley. Think I will see how I feel after Sunday but def no more than 10 easyish 10mp like last year.

5 miles easy done for me. Don't think I will run tomorrow. Calfs feeling tight again
07/02/2013 at 16:07

AA:  maybe we could do the first 10 easy together like last year, then I can eat your dust round the second lap.  Will be in touch nearer the time - had sort of forgotten that i am doing 30 this Sunday

07/02/2013 at 16:18
Minni - its nice up there ive done jedburgh half, norham 10 k and beadnell/ alnmouth over the years.

Old4speed - good luck with the 30 this week.
07/02/2013 at 17:02
O4S - sounds good to me. Loved our catch up last year and its great how quickly the 10 miles passes!! Text me next week. Only you could forget youre running 30 miles this weekend!!
07/02/2013 at 17:28

Brilliant AA - that has made my day!!

07/02/2013 at 20:28

It's all progress SS, your run sounds lovely!

Shildon I probably live within a recovery run distance of you... I used to drive my routes too, then discovered Gmap, then eventually got a garmin for my birthday a few years ago and now wonder how I ever managed without it!

People will steal anything won't they Chick?

I'm unfortunately letting the Febulous team down as I've been to physio tonight who has diagnosed a minor quad tear.  I'm not to run today or tomorrow, stretch, lunge and ice every hour, then try a 4-6 miler on Saturday.  So I'm definitely missing 2 planned runs.  It was sore after the club handicap on Tuesday, then hurting after my recovery run yesterday.  But I'm not doomed yet. 

07/02/2013 at 20:35

carrot but hopefully you've caught it in time and it will heal quickly.

Great North Run confirmation tonight.   That's my year sorted but I've not fitted in the annual thread meet up.  Anyone have any ideas?

07/02/2013 at 20:43

Anything shorter than a marathon, they take up too much valuable drinking time.

I also had a deep tissue massage tonight which made a session on the foam roller look like a spa treatment!  The physio who I saw was the same one Parsnip saw two weeks ago with his dodgy hamstring, Parsnip ran a 5K PB at the handicap on Tuesday so he seems to know his stuff

07/02/2013 at 20:48
Edited: 07/02/2013 at 20:56
07/02/2013 at 20:56
While you lot have been chit chatting I've got this weeks LR out of the way . Feels strange having completed my Febtastic by Thursday. 20 miles at 7.45 mm. Far too fast but having carbed up on a big slice of jam sponge it seemed the right thing to do. Now off to the pub quiz.
07/02/2013 at 21:10

Thanks Simon - not knowing any better I stuck it on 5 so that's about right.

Carrot - hope you sort it soon.

re: thread meet up, I think we should do an LDWA 26.2 mile jog/walk with lots of cake, nice scenery and plenty of time for chatting. 

Tonight was 30 mins elyptical trainer plus Bodypump class. Quite enjoyed it actually.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.