RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,281 to 26,300 of 36,957 messages
07/02/2013 at 21:13
2old - Great lsr and pretty speedy to.

My previous post copied a post from yesterday somehow, very strange.

Mr Z/Ant/Oompa - Aaaah reminiscing about that lovely cold, rainy, windy day in Apr at MK and me in Manchester. Yes hands felt like stumps, and had to use teeth to open gels.
07/02/2013 at 21:14
Simon- edited out completely? A post too far?
Minni - congrats with GNR- how many will that be?
Carrot - let that tear fix or it may get bigger.
Spoons -gym session sounds like torture to me
O4S- why does 30 sound so little when you say it?
07/02/2013 at 21:24

Many 2old.  I've lost count.  Probably about 10?

07/02/2013 at 22:30
Spoons - I found this on the concept2 website for you.......
http://concept2.co.uk/shop/product/hand_pads
07/02/2013 at 22:59
Minni- suprised you don't get an automatic place
Quiz was a disaster. My ability to think is seriously impaired by the fatigue from a long run. I've started to see this as a bit of a consistent trend. Hope its not Alzheimer's .
07/02/2013 at 23:06
2old - I find that too, if that helps!
08/02/2013 at 04:39

Barry, thanks so much for the encouragement, I'm feeling in a much better place 

2old, I'm so sorry to have put you to the trouble of posting the GFA times .  What I was wondering is what constitutes a fast GFA time?  Not that that is quite in my grasp right now.....

Hi Gazelle!  That looks like a great session last night, nicely done!

Chickadee, wow, that's some mileage to pack in!!  I think you should book yourself a massage for Monday if you can fit it in.  Give those legs some love   Nice thief-prevention, like it. 

I had a great session yesterday.  I managed 6x800s with 200 jog recovery plus w/u and c/d in 45 mins and covered 8.7km.  I ran the 800s alternately at 13kph and 14kph as I wasn't sure what kind of pace I could manage.  That last 800 at 14kph was pretty tough and I was glad nobody else was in the gym (there's a small gym in our apartment block) as breathing was a little tough, but I made it   I am so proud of myself as this is a huge step forward and although it was tough, it was completely doable.  Then OH called and said he wanted to take me for a drink as he'd had a bit of a day at work so it was time to watch the sun go down from a rooftop bar with a bottle of Sauvignon 

Rest day for me today so we are off to a spa for a floatation pool chill out, followed by brunch at The Ivy.  It's a tough life 

08/02/2013 at 08:54

SS -  that sounds like a brilliant interval session, and great progress....enjoy your chillaxing day

Carrot - ouch - don't overdo things...hopefully the physio will work his magic.

2old - nice LSR, although less of the S by the sounds of it

For a forum get together - we could always just pick a nice location, rent a cottage for the weekend and plan a long run taking in a pub or two along the way? If there's a YKW nearby we could do that too

Intervals for me later.

Oh, and it's snowing again

08/02/2013 at 08:57

Snowing here too

08/02/2013 at 09:53

carrot - r u in county durham. you say you are in a recovery run off me but i suppose it depends how long your recovery is as some guys on here run 30 miles

6 by 1200s with 90s recovery this morning with 2 mile jog to track and 2 mile jog home and 20 mins stood waiting for the track to open as the guy was running late. Planning on making my park run debut tomorrow think its about time followed by a 11 mile run home afterwards.

Snow stay away from north east please

08/02/2013 at 09:55

Spoons - big up the gym massive. I love going down there and hitting the weights, I do it about 3 times a week. Don't know why some many runners are so down on it 

Carrot - muscle tear ow. Hope that clears up.

SS - flotation tanks - god I remember doing those, haven't done it for years, might give it another go again now you've reminded me. I remember drifting into some warm comfortable space.

Simon - ah yes you had the same at Mancester, I remember, I think the bag collection there was actually even worse than at MK!

2old - LR on thursday 20 miles at 7:45! Smoking 

Anyway I feel like I am finally on track in the marathon training. Did a good tempo run, 4 miles @7:09 + 3mi wu&cd, and my calf/achilles issues seem to have pretty much cleared up now. Got a 10mi MLR back after work today and a 30mi MTB Sportive tomorrow, so I hope the horrendous weather holds off a little. 

Cheers, Ant

08/02/2013 at 10:07

Morning all. Lovely bright sunny day , cant believe snow is forecast for Sunda butat least its not here now like for some of you

SS-sorry no info as to FGFA I just found out that was where I was when I saw the sign above the enclosure I had to go to. It was interesting to see the GFA times anyway. Excellent intervals.Its always great to break barriers and enter new territory, it makes the slogging away week after week worthwhile and serves as proof that the training is working. Hope you dont have a sore head. You've balanced exercise and the good life perfectly

Free- I intended it to be slow but then just ran as I felt.Bit tired today so glad of the rest. Good luck with your intervals in the snow

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/02/2013 at 10:19
Speed Sheep wrote (see)

2old, I'm so sorry to have put you to the trouble of posting the GFA times .  What I was wondering is what constitutes a fast GFA time?  Not that that is quite in my grasp right now.....

Just to butt in, I don't think it's a fixed GFA/FGFA cut-off, but it's generally reckoned that around 3:10 would see you on the FGFA start.  Obviously it varies a bit depending on numbers. 

That makes it pretty much a male enclosure: most women with that time would be on the champs start, assuming they're members of affiliated clubs etc etc.

08/02/2013 at 10:34

Morning all!  Snow forecast for the tail end of the ultra on Sunday so better get our skates on [!!]   I'll get my coat.....................

For the forum outing we want less than a marathon so perhaps a 10 miler or even [dare I mention it] a 10k.  We could then spend the night before arguing about who hates them most

Carrot -   Don't try to come back too soon, sounds like you might have caught it just in time

Ant 'I love going down there and hitting the weights' - what did they ever do to you??  Suppose it is better than hitting the wife / OH

08/02/2013 at 11:09

2old -  Impressive long run, steady or  a few quick ones to bring the avg down?Come VLM I might be able to stay with you for the first 20.

AA -  looks like it going to be a cold wet one on Sunday.

SS/Shildon -  Nice Intervals.

Carrot -  Hope it's a quick recovery, but don't push it.

08/02/2013 at 11:26

O4S - there is something quite meditative about weight training I find. And running for that matter! I'm clearly a Zen exerciser!

08/02/2013 at 11:55
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

That makes it pretty much a male enclosure: most women with that time would be on the champs start, assuming they're members of affiliated clubs etc etc.

Yep - I know a lady that had a green GFA start with around 3:10, got better and jumped straight to the championship start with around 2:50.

08/02/2013 at 12:10

FGFA - I've been on it twice, prior to running sub 3:30 I might add!

I'm stressing about the weekend.  I've got the NEHL XC tomorrow, which is all day for a 4 mile race then I need to do my 20 on Sunday.  Master Minni has two games of rugby and I really want to watch one.  If I go Saturday it will mean missing the XC but if I watch him on Sunday morning then I'll have to do my 20 in the afternoon and the weekend will be away with no time at home.    I've got a really busy week next week with a couple of late nights at work and feel I'm not seeing my family.  

08/02/2013 at 12:14

2Old- serious quick long run that, well done. Did it take much out of you physically (not the quiz brain)?

Mr Z / Ant / Oompa / Simon - as one of the hardy souls who braved an underpass you all have my upmost respect for your MK/Manchester efforts. I don't think even the most horrific reports could do that weather justice!

Carrot - fingers crossed you've caught the tear in time. 

Minni - thinking about a forum meet up (and I know I've never been to one, so not in any place to comment!), but did anything ever happen with a commemorative race for Shaggy?

SS - well done on your intervals. I'm in exactly the same place as you, so I know how much anything that seems like progress feels, make sure you enjoy it!

I haven't even thought about running this week which is an indication of how rough I've felt. Am finally starting to shift the cough from my chest, and am hopeful of a gentle run tomorrow and then trying a longer one on Sunday. Even if I do, with my weekend away/illness, I still won't have managed 50 miles in two weeks which is far from ideal. Hey ho, nothing to be done about it though. Hopefully it will have given my knee some more time to adapt to starting running again.

08/02/2013 at 12:36

Good question Redders.  I messaged the contact I had (Lorry Dodger, who was a friend of Shaun's and who I arranged the donations etc through) a couple of weeks ago to find out what our money was going towards.  Off the top of my head I think it was £450 that was raised through donations here.  I'd been looking periodically at the Bourne Harriers website to see if anything came up on there but no mention.  This was his response:

I can't remember whether I told you how much was raised but in total just over £1000 was raised, but trying to decide exactly what to do with it is another matter. Originally a bench was suggested in Bourne Woods but that was turned down by the Forestry Commission, the plan now it to have a marked and measured trail through the woods (there used to be one but over the years the marking posts disappeared). It is a slow process only having a committee meeting once every six weeks or so.

Shaun's parents have sponsored a coaching award trophy which will be awarded at the AGM to a senior club member who has either shown great improvement over the year or has helped others improve.

Aside from that we are still trying to get permission from Grimsthorpe estates for our 10k race in August and if we get permission we may award something there aswell,

So no real plans at the moment!  We had hoped that perhaps a race would be started in his memory (for totally selfish reasons, of course ) but it doesn't look like that's in the pipeline.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.