RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,301 to 26,320 of 37,089 messages
08/02/2013 at 16:40

End of November would be good - I usually do the St Neots half which is always in the middle of Nov, so will def be on wind down mode afterwards.

Chick - ouch. But you will choose those mega mileage plans 

08/02/2013 at 17:04

Chick sounds like a tough weekend, have you had to rearrange sessions? I'm now wary of cramming mileage into weekends as I think that's what did for me last year, but as long as you're sensible and balance it out generally.

Ouch Carrot, sounds painful. Second what everyone else says about not rushing back, two days doesn't sound like much rest for a tear.

I like the idea of a marked trail in Shaggy's honour. A bench doesn't really seem appropriate, unless being used as balance for some energetic stretches.

First Febulous run done, on the tready. Gyms are bloody boring, but I'm quite likely the novelty of feeling like I've had a good cardio workout without incurring the dreaded niggles.

08/02/2013 at 17:34

Shildon, think it is do-able 2 marathons back to back.
Friend (who Minni knows) did 3 marathons in 5 weeks Nov-Dec, and PB-ed on the last one, sub 3:30. One was an ultra, the other 3:40. Depends on your endurance base though I think.

Same as O4S suggested, trail events, LDWA are much more fun than road ones. Road stuff really impacts the legs. Trail you're back running quickly, £7-9 for breakfast, 4-5 checkpoints and a full meal at the end - with dessert even. Amazing value.

Carrot - take it easy. 4-7 days rest?

2old - great LSR @ 7.45. Don't burn all the speed before Sunday!

For some reason I thought GFA for London was 3:10 for me still, but its 3:15. I thought this had changed? Cheered me up anyway.

Legs not fully recovered after the ultra, but after shuffling around 4 miles slow on Tuesday, was able to do 5 miles in 40 minutes last night. Another few days and I should be back to normal. this weekend was always rest.

Oh, 2old did you see Liverpool marathon has been cancelled? they can't get agreement with the council now for road closures. Really sad with the first two years doing so well.

Doesn't bode well for future road races near shops & parking.

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 17:35
08/02/2013 at 20:24
FRC - Yes saw Liverpool has been cancelled, looks like Chester will be the best alternative.

Ant - Using weights equals bigger muscles, which is just extra weight you have to carry round. Hence why top runners/cyclists look like stick insects and are on starvation diets.
Personally I'm with you, I like them, but I know it's not going to make me faster, but a at least it gives a more balanced physic.

Went for first run outside for a month, 4m for Febulous done. The bad news is my heel still hurts, even at lsr pace, and as its the inside of my heel that hurts, I can sense I'm running on the outside edge of my forefoot, which isn't good in the long term.
I've sent an email to Manchester mara, to see what's the latest date for deferring.
I'll have to console myself on the rower.

Chick - Big snow storm hitting East coast USA as well, so going in to work for some overtime, as all the flights are getting cancelled.

Hey Bro, you haven't go a trip over that way have you? Hehe
Edited: 08/02/2013 at 20:27
08/02/2013 at 20:39
Gazelle - good session

Chickadee - 34 miles in a weekend wow you

FRC - getting lots of advice re back to backs and taking it all on board but not making any decisions till after the first then after that I will focus on plans for an ultra

Good luck with the training runs or races this weekend guys.
08/02/2013 at 20:39

Good luck for the XC tomorrow Minni, our club have a big group going over there... pleased I didn't get round to entering now with my uncooperative quad!  Is it not worth doing a shorter run on Sunday? You've already got so many 20s in already, it surely won't be too much harm to drop to 12/13 long run miles for one week, it would save you an hour.  Could even be done at your favourite start time of 4:30am.  All up to Moz I guess.

I love Freemers suggestion for the get together!

Bro - is Royal Park like trying to get into GNR through the ballot?

Shildon I'm a Bishop girl   Where's your parkrun debut going to be? We have some good ones around here, I've done Durham, Sedgefield and Albert Park.  Do you know about Hackworth parkrun starting in a month?

Good session Ant and great news that your injuries have cleared up.

Simon you must be getting sick of your heel troubles now

I have lunged my way through the workday today, disappearing every hour on the hour to do them in the toilets or kitchen.  I don't know why I bothered doing them in private, everyone already thinks I'm a bit bonkers!  Followed by stretches and icing.  And a bit of foam roller action when I got home.  Followed by wine.

08/02/2013 at 20:51
Carrot - im off to sedgefield parkrun. I had heard they looked at the park at shildon but not heard anything lately. You sound like you know more than me about it. Its not the biggest of parks so i think it would be 3 laps if any and would include banks possibly. Are u a club runner ?
08/02/2013 at 21:00

Sedgefield is a good course, two laps of Hardwick Park with a short climb towards the end of each lap. 

Hackworth is indeed going to be 3 laps, including an out and back bit along the long flat stretch. It will be a bit up and down but it has to have a few climbs being in Shildon!  I joined Crook a few months ago, should have joined years ago.  

08/02/2013 at 21:08
Im at shildon but its changed a lot. When i joined 10 years ago we had 10-15 serious seniors marathon runners but now its more a social club. We have a good kids base and really good facilities so its a shame. I looked at moving to crook this year but also looking at Aycliffe. You have a really strong club there with the likes of jason allison and patrick duffy. I was at blackpool when patrick won the race last year.
08/02/2013 at 21:11
Minni wrote (see)
Lol Brolish, can't see meditation being included in our Frankenmoz schedule!

I was going to ask Frankenmoz to be my yoga coach.... 

08/02/2013 at 21:11
Carot - yes heel's becoming annoying.
I think you should go public in your office, with your lunges. Do any of them look like this, it's probably before your time, but classic comedy...
http://youtu.be/wippooDL6WE
08/02/2013 at 21:16
08/02/2013 at 21:29

Shildon - I was at Blackpool last year too, although I think Patrick will have been in the pub by the time I finished!

Those gym sessions are paying off Spoons! 

Link doesn't work Simon...  

08/02/2013 at 21:34
My spoons you are shaping up!
08/02/2013 at 21:36
Pleased to say after a large glass of wine I've got my priorities sorted and I will do the XC tomorrow followed by rugby on Sunday morning and 20m Sunday afternoon. We are fire Ady heavy snow on Sunday though.....
08/02/2013 at 22:33
Carot - Try this one, sorry....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wippooDL6WE

Spoons - Didn't it hurt when they pinned the fig leaf on you?
Edited: 08/02/2013 at 22:34
Dubai Dave    pirate
09/02/2013 at 06:06
Phew I don't post for a couple of days and I have four pages to read.

Gazelle see you on the 3:15 bus at Abo.

SS: nice intervals

Carrot: take it easy.

Spoons: when is the first body building contest?

YAS Tri Olympic Distance 1.5 K swim 40 K bike 10K run

Sat in a traffic jam for 90 minutes on the way to Abu Dhabi due to a chemical lorry which had rolled over spilling chemicals, eventually drove into the desert and got by, so 4 x 4's have their uses. Arrived at Yas F1 circuit with 20 minutes to spare.

I started in wave 3 so wasn't directly racing my usual adversaries, into the none too clean waters of Yas Marina ( its a long way from the sea and there is little current to flush it out) the hooter sounds and for once because it was a wave start it was not akin to a washing machine, I found clear water almost immediately. First lap of the swim wasn't great but on the second lap I was drafting on folks and then sprinting across to the next swimmer in front, out he water in 28:51 according to my Garmin I swam 1.65k which doesn't surprise me as I can never swim in a straight line.

T1 was a long run to the bike so 4-14 until I started the bike, the bike course is 7 laps of the formula 1 circuit, the Tarmac is super smooth and you need to get on the right line to get around the corners, god knows what it's like in a formula 1 car! I got quicker on each lap and was starting to really enjoy myself. Finished in 67:09 with another long run through T2. A very quick change of shoes and I was out of T2 in 1:57.

The run is around the perimeter of the F 1 track and is far from flat with lots of twists and turns, far less boring than most Tri runs and the rock blasting out from all the speakers was pretty cool. Each K split got slightly quicker as I grew into the run and I crossed the line 45:05. I was pretty chuffed with that as I ran we'll within myself. So total time 2:27:05 69th overall, 3rd M50 (and this week ther were 22 in my age group). No bling but easily my most enjoyable event this season, loved every minute and beat all the people I thought I should beat.

This morning I was stood on the edgeof he desert at 0630 less than 12hours after finishing the Tri with two club mates both of whom are sub 3 hour marathon runners so knew I was going to suffer, 20k later in 90 mins andi was tired.
09/02/2013 at 06:27
Quick check in...

I've found the last week pretty challenging getting out for runs - I've either been camping in snow too deep to walk in or barred from running on the highway - lots of people get disappeared on it. Someone suggested I could try running along the railway tracks - not keen! My only chance is on trips to town 20mins away for provisions, so today I've done just that - and got this weeks long run of 14M done. Now just need to find a way to log the damn thing on febulous!

Aside from that I've been getting in lots of good LSR type training by being my own ski lift and walking uphill for 6 hours a day. A lot like bike touring - could be my new favourite masochism sport

DD - nice one on the gardening leave, looks like you'll be joining me as (temporary) thread lady of leisure!

Spoons - my eyes!

Good luck racers this weekend!
09/02/2013 at 06:34
DD - xpost, nice weekends work!
09/02/2013 at 06:55

DD - not surprised you were tired! Well done.

i'm marshalling at park run this morning. Hope it's not snowing like yesterday morning....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.