RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,301 to 26,320 of 36,096 messages
08/02/2013 at 13:09

We can arrange our own. A Team Minni smackdown. I'll be race director, marshall and time keeper....

08/02/2013 at 13:12

Thanks for that Minni - very interesting to read. Agree that selfishly a race would be good, but I do like their idea of a signposted trail through the woods too. That way people can benefit from it every day of the year which would be a nice touch and a decent legacy. Should also help new people get into running, which given Shaggy's love of coaching, would be highly appropriate.

I also like that if the race gets the go ahead it'll be a 10K knowing how much (most of) the ladies on here hate them 

I x-posted with your dilemma. If I were you, I'd bin the XC, do your 20, watch Master Minni play one of his games, and then have the afternoon at home with the family. Everyone's a winner, apart from the XC, but then missing a 4M mudbath probably won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things. Either that or you can do 20M of laps around Master Minni's rugby pitch on Sunday morning? 'Who's Mum is that mad women', his friends will be saying...!

If it's any consolation, I'm about to run into two weeks of similar problems too, with a busy time at work, a bit on socially, a family and running to juggle. It's not easy, but then if it was we'd probably all get bored!

08/02/2013 at 13:26

Carrot- Minor quad tear  make sure you get it fixed Fabflipinulous can wait.

2old-20miles @7:45 is very good, what time are you planning to do the marathon in?

SS- Great session, a tough life indeed I'm off to the spa on Monday

Shildon- Good luck in the park run tomorrow.

Minni- what about doing  a few miles before your xcountry and a fair few more after to make it up to 20miles?

I did my long run of 12miles today avg 8:58mm, 12miles dosn't sound long to most of you

08/02/2013 at 14:19

Carrot- ouch indeed, hope you can get it sorted soon, take it easy!

SSheep- you bloody should be proud of yourself- great intervals! You very much deserved all the pampering and brunching.

Free- I like your idea of a forum outing. LSR early in the morning on the first day and then we can start drinking!

Ant- good pace on your tempo.

Minni- sounds like you're juggling quite a lot at the moment. I agree that if anything, I would ditch the xc.  Did you sort out your team for the TR by the way? The entries are closed now...

Red- hope you feel better soon.

Gazelle- good 12 miler.

6.5m easy during lunch for me which with the shower and getting changed took up almost 2 hours- oops! No bosses around today though so got away with it.

08/02/2013 at 14:31

Minni- so as if all this slow running wasn't enough we're now moving onto yoga and meditation??? Jeeeeeeeeze!

08/02/2013 at 14:35

Hmmm just found out didn't get into the Royal Parks Half- again! I think it was the 3rd attempt.

08/02/2013 at 14:47
Barry - yeah looks really cold Sunday. Just hope it's not windy...

Some great reps going on.

Annual forum get together- I think we should so it after everyone's autumn marathon in our "down season"!! Do we ever have one though...there might be a window of 2 weeks in November!!

Minni - ditch the xc and wath your son tomorrow then do your 20 Sunday morning and then do the family thing on Sunday afternoon. Tricky though.. You'll never win that one unfortunately.
08/02/2013 at 14:50

Minni - I'd ditch the XC, you know it makes sense . Thanks for updating us on Shaggy's club plans. I like their idea for the woodland trail and coaching award.

I'm loving my intervals ....proper Yasso's today - 10 x 800m @ 9mph on the TM, or 6.39 pace (actually the last one was 9.5 mph which is 6.18 ).  Loved it  

08/02/2013 at 14:52
Lol Brolish, can't see meditation being included in our Frankenmoz schedule!
08/02/2013 at 15:47

aw bummer about Royal Parks Half, Bro

carrot: hope it's just a minor tear that heals quickly. Those things can be nasty. Don't rush back into though.

Minni: I would ditch the XC too ... there's always another race. As for family time ... sometimes it's more important than running. Thanks for the Shaggy update. I was wondering the other day what had become of our money but then forgot again.

Freemers: great intervals

Minni wrote (see)

Great North Run confirmation tonight.   That's my year sorted but I've not fitted in the annual thread meet up.  Anyone have any ideas?

Marathon du Medoc ??

Weekend will be tough - 14 miles and 20 (with 10@MP) to do . Rubbish weather messing everything up again. Grrrrr ..... I want it to be spring!

Rant over - hope everyone has a good weekend

08/02/2013 at 15:59
Chick - imagine us lot doing that!

AA - November sounds ideal for a meet up.
08/02/2013 at 16:30

Norwich HM is in November ....so a forum outing is the ideal excuse to miss it

Sounds like a tough weekend ahead Chick

08/02/2013 at 16:40

End of November would be good - I usually do the St Neots half which is always in the middle of Nov, so will def be on wind down mode afterwards.

Chick - ouch. But you will choose those mega mileage plans 

08/02/2013 at 17:04

Chick sounds like a tough weekend, have you had to rearrange sessions? I'm now wary of cramming mileage into weekends as I think that's what did for me last year, but as long as you're sensible and balance it out generally.

Ouch Carrot, sounds painful. Second what everyone else says about not rushing back, two days doesn't sound like much rest for a tear.

I like the idea of a marked trail in Shaggy's honour. A bench doesn't really seem appropriate, unless being used as balance for some energetic stretches.

First Febulous run done, on the tready. Gyms are bloody boring, but I'm quite likely the novelty of feeling like I've had a good cardio workout without incurring the dreaded niggles.

08/02/2013 at 17:34

Shildon, think it is do-able 2 marathons back to back.
Friend (who Minni knows) did 3 marathons in 5 weeks Nov-Dec, and PB-ed on the last one, sub 3:30. One was an ultra, the other 3:40. Depends on your endurance base though I think.

Same as O4S suggested, trail events, LDWA are much more fun than road ones. Road stuff really impacts the legs. Trail you're back running quickly, £7-9 for breakfast, 4-5 checkpoints and a full meal at the end - with dessert even. Amazing value.

Carrot - take it easy. 4-7 days rest?

2old - great LSR @ 7.45. Don't burn all the speed before Sunday!

For some reason I thought GFA for London was 3:10 for me still, but its 3:15. I thought this had changed? Cheered me up anyway.

Legs not fully recovered after the ultra, but after shuffling around 4 miles slow on Tuesday, was able to do 5 miles in 40 minutes last night. Another few days and I should be back to normal. this weekend was always rest.

Oh, 2old did you see Liverpool marathon has been cancelled? they can't get agreement with the council now for road closures. Really sad with the first two years doing so well.

Doesn't bode well for future road races near shops & parking.

Edited: 08/02/2013 at 17:35
08/02/2013 at 20:24
FRC - Yes saw Liverpool has been cancelled, looks like Chester will be the best alternative.

Ant - Using weights equals bigger muscles, which is just extra weight you have to carry round. Hence why top runners/cyclists look like stick insects and are on starvation diets.
Personally I'm with you, I like them, but I know it's not going to make me faster, but a at least it gives a more balanced physic.

Went for first run outside for a month, 4m for Febulous done. The bad news is my heel still hurts, even at lsr pace, and as its the inside of my heel that hurts, I can sense I'm running on the outside edge of my forefoot, which isn't good in the long term.
I've sent an email to Manchester mara, to see what's the latest date for deferring.
I'll have to console myself on the rower.

Chick - Big snow storm hitting East coast USA as well, so going in to work for some overtime, as all the flights are getting cancelled.

Hey Bro, you haven't go a trip over that way have you? Hehe
Edited: 08/02/2013 at 20:27
08/02/2013 at 20:39
Gazelle - good session

Chickadee - 34 miles in a weekend wow you

FRC - getting lots of advice re back to backs and taking it all on board but not making any decisions till after the first then after that I will focus on plans for an ultra

Good luck with the training runs or races this weekend guys.
08/02/2013 at 20:39

Good luck for the XC tomorrow Minni, our club have a big group going over there... pleased I didn't get round to entering now with my uncooperative quad!  Is it not worth doing a shorter run on Sunday? You've already got so many 20s in already, it surely won't be too much harm to drop to 12/13 long run miles for one week, it would save you an hour.  Could even be done at your favourite start time of 4:30am.  All up to Moz I guess.

I love Freemers suggestion for the get together!

Bro - is Royal Park like trying to get into GNR through the ballot?

Shildon I'm a Bishop girl   Where's your parkrun debut going to be? We have some good ones around here, I've done Durham, Sedgefield and Albert Park.  Do you know about Hackworth parkrun starting in a month?

Good session Ant and great news that your injuries have cleared up.

Simon you must be getting sick of your heel troubles now

I have lunged my way through the workday today, disappearing every hour on the hour to do them in the toilets or kitchen.  I don't know why I bothered doing them in private, everyone already thinks I'm a bit bonkers!  Followed by stretches and icing.  And a bit of foam roller action when I got home.  Followed by wine.

08/02/2013 at 20:51
Carrot - im off to sedgefield parkrun. I had heard they looked at the park at shildon but not heard anything lately. You sound like you know more than me about it. Its not the biggest of parks so i think it would be 3 laps if any and would include banks possibly. Are u a club runner ?
08/02/2013 at 21:00

Sedgefield is a good course, two laps of Hardwick Park with a short climb towards the end of each lap. 

Hackworth is indeed going to be 3 laps, including an out and back bit along the long flat stretch. It will be a bit up and down but it has to have a few climbs being in Shildon!  I joined Crook a few months ago, should have joined years ago.  

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.