RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,321 to 26,340 of 36,180 messages
08/02/2013 at 21:08
Im at shildon but its changed a lot. When i joined 10 years ago we had 10-15 serious seniors marathon runners but now its more a social club. We have a good kids base and really good facilities so its a shame. I looked at moving to crook this year but also looking at Aycliffe. You have a really strong club there with the likes of jason allison and patrick duffy. I was at blackpool when patrick won the race last year.
08/02/2013 at 21:11
Minni wrote (see)
Lol Brolish, can't see meditation being included in our Frankenmoz schedule!

I was going to ask Frankenmoz to be my yoga coach.... 

08/02/2013 at 21:11
Carot - yes heel's becoming annoying.
I think you should go public in your office, with your lunges. Do any of them look like this, it's probably before your time, but classic comedy...
http://youtu.be/wippooDL6WE
08/02/2013 at 21:16
08/02/2013 at 21:29

Shildon - I was at Blackpool last year too, although I think Patrick will have been in the pub by the time I finished!

Those gym sessions are paying off Spoons! 

Link doesn't work Simon...  

08/02/2013 at 21:34
My spoons you are shaping up!
08/02/2013 at 21:36
Pleased to say after a large glass of wine I've got my priorities sorted and I will do the XC tomorrow followed by rugby on Sunday morning and 20m Sunday afternoon. We are fire Ady heavy snow on Sunday though.....
08/02/2013 at 22:33
Carot - Try this one, sorry....
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wippooDL6WE

Spoons - Didn't it hurt when they pinned the fig leaf on you?
Edited: 08/02/2013 at 22:34
Dubai Dave    pirate
09/02/2013 at 06:06
Phew I don't post for a couple of days and I have four pages to read.

Gazelle see you on the 3:15 bus at Abo.

SS: nice intervals

Carrot: take it easy.

Spoons: when is the first body building contest?

YAS Tri Olympic Distance 1.5 K swim 40 K bike 10K run

Sat in a traffic jam for 90 minutes on the way to Abu Dhabi due to a chemical lorry which had rolled over spilling chemicals, eventually drove into the desert and got by, so 4 x 4's have their uses. Arrived at Yas F1 circuit with 20 minutes to spare.

I started in wave 3 so wasn't directly racing my usual adversaries, into the none too clean waters of Yas Marina ( its a long way from the sea and there is little current to flush it out) the hooter sounds and for once because it was a wave start it was not akin to a washing machine, I found clear water almost immediately. First lap of the swim wasn't great but on the second lap I was drafting on folks and then sprinting across to the next swimmer in front, out he water in 28:51 according to my Garmin I swam 1.65k which doesn't surprise me as I can never swim in a straight line.

T1 was a long run to the bike so 4-14 until I started the bike, the bike course is 7 laps of the formula 1 circuit, the Tarmac is super smooth and you need to get on the right line to get around the corners, god knows what it's like in a formula 1 car! I got quicker on each lap and was starting to really enjoy myself. Finished in 67:09 with another long run through T2. A very quick change of shoes and I was out of T2 in 1:57.

The run is around the perimeter of the F 1 track and is far from flat with lots of twists and turns, far less boring than most Tri runs and the rock blasting out from all the speakers was pretty cool. Each K split got slightly quicker as I grew into the run and I crossed the line 45:05. I was pretty chuffed with that as I ran we'll within myself. So total time 2:27:05 69th overall, 3rd M50 (and this week ther were 22 in my age group). No bling but easily my most enjoyable event this season, loved every minute and beat all the people I thought I should beat.

This morning I was stood on the edgeof he desert at 0630 less than 12hours after finishing the Tri with two club mates both of whom are sub 3 hour marathon runners so knew I was going to suffer, 20k later in 90 mins andi was tired.
09/02/2013 at 06:27
Quick check in...

I've found the last week pretty challenging getting out for runs - I've either been camping in snow too deep to walk in or barred from running on the highway - lots of people get disappeared on it. Someone suggested I could try running along the railway tracks - not keen! My only chance is on trips to town 20mins away for provisions, so today I've done just that - and got this weeks long run of 14M done. Now just need to find a way to log the damn thing on febulous!

Aside from that I've been getting in lots of good LSR type training by being my own ski lift and walking uphill for 6 hours a day. A lot like bike touring - could be my new favourite masochism sport

DD - nice one on the gardening leave, looks like you'll be joining me as (temporary) thread lady of leisure!

Spoons - my eyes!

Good luck racers this weekend!
09/02/2013 at 06:34
DD - xpost, nice weekends work!
09/02/2013 at 06:55

DD - not surprised you were tired! Well done.

i'm marshalling at park run this morning. Hope it's not snowing like yesterday morning....

09/02/2013 at 09:46
DD - Great tri report, another podium place.
Edited: 09/02/2013 at 09:55
09/02/2013 at 10:59

Mornin' All,

DD - Great report and result. You must be getting sore quads from climbing up onto the podium by now.

KFC - Well done for getting your 14 done.

5 mile xc race on Wimbledon Common, followed by a 5 mile c/d in the snow this afternoon!  

Hopefully the snow will stop before tomorrow's 20, as i can't face that on the dm!!!

09/02/2013 at 11:05
DD - the gardening life suits you. Well done!

I'm going to the xc this afternoon. It seems my desire to be with my family is one sides since they've all gone out for the day (in different directions)anyway!! Lol.

3 mile run with the dog done then 7-8 this afternoon.
09/02/2013 at 11:20

Hello Shildonrunner and welcome

DD - another awsome result, well done!

Good luck for the cross country races today Oompa and Minni!

09/02/2013 at 11:25

Carrot - just read about your quad tear - hope it clears up soon!

09/02/2013 at 12:01

Carrot, I hope your physio is helping, poor you!  Keep going with those lunges.  And the foam roller.  And the wine...

Freemers, Ant, the floatation pool was amazing   Sooooooo relaxing.....  Ant, nice tempo run and great to hear your calf/achilles is behaving.  Free, fab intervals!!!  Also, loving the idea of a forum outing.  I'm in the UK in September as I have a university reunion the weekend of 21st so if we can organise something for the weekend before or after, I would be well up for that.

2old, the head's doing fine thanks!  It was a bit fuzzy when I woke up, but a 3 mile recovery jog sorted that out nicely.

Cheerful Dave, I think I can safely say I'll never make the FGFA start!!!

Red, I hope you're hanging on in there and you're recovering well!

Minni, thanks so much for the Shaggy update.  I hope you sorted out your family/XC committments OK.

Gazelle, have a great time in the spa on Monday .  Don't worry, 12 miles is further than I've run so far 

Brolish, nice lunchtime timekeeping .  Sorry about the Royal Parks Half, that's a shame.

Chick, Medoc is on my list for 2014!!  That should be a great year to do it as it's the 30th anniversary, apparently!  Good luck with your miles this weekend.

Weeble, well done on your first Febulous run 

FRC, good to see you getting back to normal post-ultra.

Simon, really sorry to hear your heel is still troubling you.  Keep going with the cross training and let's hope for some good news.

DD, what an amazing tri that sounds!!  Nicely done, sir 

Easy day for me, 3 mile recovery run.  Beautiful day, enjoyed a slow pace today to soak up some rays .  

09/02/2013 at 13:15
DD- cracking tri ,that was a fast final run after superb swim and bike. Bet your adrenaline was flowing with that short time to get ready and your head in the right place. Brilliant podium place. To follow that with such is fast 20 k is amazing. I'd want a day in bed to recover. Sorry wont be joining you and Gaz at Abo but it clashes with family requirements.
FRC- I rested yesterday but may do a little run to loosen up later. Very disappointing about Liverpool Marsthon. It was a very good route with impressive sights and support. Can't believe the lack of vision on the part of the Council. Glad I did it last year. Looks like Chester for me though it is a bit early in October.
Spoons- think my OH would like me to use your training regime...packed!
SS- always good to have the odd easy day
Minni- Oomp- have fun in the mud with your X country races
KFC- I admire your determination to get that LR done. Don't think you need to worry about fitness with those hikes uphill. Buy a lift pass next time !
Bro-crap not getting in to the Royal Parks HM.
Oomps- why not tag on 14 after the Xcountry and make it a LR today and you can laugh at the snow tomorrow
Signed up for the Great North Swim on 15th June. Hope its not cancelled like last year
Trouble when you have rest days is that the previous weeks training seems to catch up. Feeling very lethargic with all sorts of aches. Can you have a one and a half day taper madness?
09/02/2013 at 13:48
DD - amazing tri and then the run next day

Kfc - well done managing to get the long run in.

Spoons - i ran my first parkrun this morning so thanks as without guys like you these events wouldnt happen.

Oompa - good session

Kiwi - hi.

I took part in my first parkrun today at sedgefield flat 2 lap course with just a hill at the end of each. Got round in 22 mins followed by 9 mile steady home which proved hard last 4 miles.

Carrot - spoke to a few club members this morning and i think shildon parkrun is not happening or so im told.
Edited: 09/02/2013 at 13:49
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.