RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,361 to 26,380 of 36,171 messages
10/02/2013 at 06:32

Shildon, great effort on your first parkrun!  I love them, well, what I should say is I love the idea of them and the ethos behind them - I don't love running them!!!

Chick, I'm in awe of your mileage this weekend, that's probably more than I've run all week .  I shall total up later on today after LSR.  Medoc 2014 it is then 

Kiwi, yay!  Congrats on the hour!!  I know exactly how you feel, so enjoy it.  Sounds like champagne all round for you guys then!  I hope you make it to spin...

AA, Barry, 2old, Simon, FRC - race well today 

Spoons, must try and get that Dave Grohl documentary, love him!  Great turbo, btw.

Minni, brilliant racing, great report!!!  Sounds like you were on fire, achieved a great result and, most importantly, had lots of fun 

Carrot, yay!!  That sounds like it's all heading in the right direction.

FRC, wow, that sounded like a real endurance test!!  Great running, though, especially when you weren't confident of even making it to the finish.

Oompa, well done for surviving the mudfest and kicking some butt!

LSR for me later on today, a mere 13 miles but I'm creeping up...  I am NOT going to get my Garmin head on like last week.  I will take it merely as a guide, I will listen only for the mile beeps and I will run on feel.  If nothing else, OH does not deserve another Sunday evening like last week's, bless him, with me wanting to jack VLM in.  Positive mental attitude 

10/02/2013 at 07:24

Oompa - sounds like fun. Except the spike!

I'm getting on my mountain bike in a minute to do bike support on GFs LSR. Will gym later. 

10/02/2013 at 08:08

Kiwi - great to see you out running and enjoying it.  I bet you make a great comeback.  Look at Freemers.  You must have maintained your fitness really well through all the x training and it'll just be a case of getting used to running again.

Spoons/weeble - don't let the side down at Brighton: head for the pub for a booze marathon. 

Weeble - hope you've settled into your new home.

Chick - enjoy the 20.  34 in the weekend - phew, good going.

Carrot - the fast lady from the club yesterday has been out due to injury and she wore quad guards under her shorts yesterday.  She said they were really helping - might be worth considering?

SS - hope the 13 goes well.

Good luck racers - I iz excited for yous!

10/02/2013 at 08:15

Ant - will you enable your messages - I want to send you a private message!

10/02/2013 at 09:21
SS - just off shortly to meet up with FRC and 2old at the Maddog 10k. I'm just part of the support crew though. FRC's OH is racing and 2old. It's wet, coldish, but not much wind.
10/02/2013 at 12:21

Ooooo - Minni loves Ant

Just done 2.5 hours on the mountain bike. My fingers and toes have lost all feeling due to being frozen. Other than that it was fine. Off to the gym after lunch.

10/02/2013 at 12:40
Just clocking in. Great to meet up with Barry before the race and then briefly afterwards so he could stand there freezing cold and show me how to see what time I did on my watch!
Anyway - race report later. Wokingham Half - 1:30.26 properly chuffed to bits with that. And to be honest....shocked!!

Hope 2old got on ok.
10/02/2013 at 12:53
As I've already said to you AA, very well done! It's just simply brilliant; such a fast time after all your whinging about being tired and a sore calf.

You've set a new marker for us girls and taken the pink.

Can't wait for Barry's check in.

And 2old.

It's a great weekend for the thread. Feel very proud of everyone.
10/02/2013 at 13:13

That's awesome AA well done. Why all the whinging then?

10/02/2013 at 13:21
AA - fantastic HM really fast. Sub 90 next time. Well done
Brief details. Failed miserably to go sub 40 but did 40.21 which on reflection was my second fastest ever. 96th out over 2000 runners and 10th in age group. Highlight was meeting Simon and FRC - Ta for the coffee and cake !!! Apart from running into the wind for the last half mile conditions were pretty good . Really well organised event.
Hope everyone else had great races and runs
Now to feed the menagerie
10/02/2013 at 13:35
Well done 2old. Great time and great position. Going under 40 means nothing to your marathon time and that's what we measure in here and you are the fastest in that department!
10/02/2013 at 13:57

AA - congrats that is a fab shiny new pb

2Old - great race and placing from you too!

SS - 13 miles is great on a comeback, nice to see the miles building back up isn't it? I ran the start of one of my marathon routes yesterday, had missed those country lanes!

Must confess to not making it to spin this morning, didn't get to bed till 2am, did get up at 8am and have porridge with Mr Kiwi but crawled back to bed when he left for the gym, just couldn't face it, am such a lightweight in the drinking areana, lol!

10/02/2013 at 14:27
AA- whoop whoop. Amazing result and so close to sub 1:30! Superstar))
2Old- great racing, I have no doubt 40min will get smashed in a near future.
Back from a wet and freezing 21 miler. Had to jump straight into a hot bath (sorry Shaggy).
10/02/2013 at 14:30

Oompa/Minni -  Great reports and impressive XC racing.  The field around the kit tent this morning was like a XC course.

2old -  Good racing, its's only 21 seconds, how were your splits.  But as Minni  says in the big scheme of mara training those 21 seconds don't matter.

AA -  Congrats again on today's performance.

Arrived at Wokingham early and after a bit of a walk from the town centre, all well signposted, arrived at the start area. Steady rain and wind picking up.  Met up with AA and had a good chat.  After going our separate ways to dump kit and don bin liners(well done to organisers for providing so many), met up again and warmed up. Thanks to AA's  race knowledge we ended up near the 1:15 marker which made for an easy start.  Started off steady - yeah right splts as follows:

1.   6:38
2.   6:41
3.   6:36
4.   6:40
5.   6:38
6.   6:44
7.   6.40 took gel
8.   6:48
9.   6:52  started to feel it back into the headwind
10. 7:00  still into the headwind.
11.  7:08 - ouch
12.  6:56
13.  6:39. Picked up the pace a bit for the last mile
last bit 5:59.

Very happy to finish 1:28:40 with a 6:46 avg, shows where I am training wise.  Briefly met up with AA both of us with big smiles even though cold and wet.  Good facilities plenty of hot showers and  a very good race despite conditions.

10/02/2013 at 14:46
Barry- great result! Very well done.
Hope everyone is celebrating- what a weekend!
10/02/2013 at 15:09
AA & Barry - Superb times in horrible conditions. Is that two shiny new pb's?

2old - Great 10k time. That horrible last half miles must have easily cost you 21 seconds.

Got my 20 done and as Brol said, it was wet, freezing and windy. So much so that I couldn't feel my hands when in the shower afterwards!!
10/02/2013 at 15:10
Just read that last comment back and it sounds... Wrong!!! (Embarrassed face)
10/02/2013 at 15:22
Barry - so pleased for you. Hope you are now settled into the rugby with that bottle of red

2old - that's a fantastic time. Well done.

Brief report:
Met up with Barry and did a warm up. Decided on our excuses early doors just in case....force 8 gales etc...

The start is really narrow and congested so I suggested we move further up the pack just so we don't get blocked in too much.

I had forgotten my gels and had no isotonic drink. Barry gave me one of his (I didn't use it) but was ready for the excuse if I needed it! I started my new garmin and locked the bezel thing. It got stuck on ave pace so I didn't really have a clue what I was running and was running on feel. My ave pace was 6:48 for the first half then started to creep up. I have a really bad way of talking myself out of racing hard at the end of races so I was trying to be positive. I only thought sub1:30 might be on the cards briefly but I knew there was a bad stretch for me from 9-11 miles. A little bit of disappointment not to have done it but totally outweighed now with the thought I can give it a real go at Reading in 5 weeks.

6:45
6:57
6:45
6:55
6:49
6:47
6:43
6:54
6:50
7:03
7:18 headwind
7:06
6:58
(6:43)

Official time of 1:30.26. 2nd v40-49 out of 153.

Bro, Oomps - well done on your 20s. Hope Minni and chick managed theirs. Has o4S done her 30 too?
Edited: 10/02/2013 at 15:24
10/02/2013 at 15:52

AA, new pink for the thread . Do you get some bling as well for your placing? Sounds like the calf is all sorted then?

Barry, fantastic time from you as well.  Looks like things are shaping up well for your marathon.

2Old, great time as well especially as it's still quite early in your marathon cycle. 

DD, race sounds great and you are amazingly consistent with your podium positions even if no bling this time.

Minni, Oompa, good racing from you both. Minni, your new club must be so pleased to have you as you keep placing so highly for them. For VLM we need to find a 3:15 marathoner with a blonde swishy ponytail and put her in a skirt for you to chase. Oompa, nice to be beating people you've beaten in the past.

Carrot, sounds like you've caught the quad problems nice and early.

Kiwi, an hour . It's great to see you on the comeback and you've been so dedicated with the cross training.

Failing to manage any lunchtime classes at the moment, trying to do more than 1 job isn't helping. Main exercise has been commuting to and from work on the bike, which is full of stops at traffic lights but I clocked up about 50 miles cycling this week which hopefully, even with all the stops, has got to help.

10/02/2013 at 16:14

AA- the splits tell the story-so so close to 90- if it wasn't for the headwind you would have bagged it .It's there for the taking next time.

Oomp- brilliant LR with a tough x country in your legs

Barry- fantastic performance with a time you must know you can eat into bearing in mind the easing off in the 9-12 miles section ready for that grandstand finish! Seriously its a very positive indicator at thus stage.

My splits are a master class in pacing-

1-6.24

2-6.28

3-6.29

4-6.31

6-6.29

7-1.33

It's just a shame I didn't lose 3-4 secs a mile . still it's there for the taking and not far off what I did a week before Liverpool Marathon.

It was a very impressive event .A fast straight course .Entertainment - drummers, singer ,Elvis impersonator,pre race massage, quality t-shirt and medal . One to do every year.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.