RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,381 to 26,400 of 37,499 messages
10/02/2013 at 19:06

My fingers were so cold on the bike this morning I had to keep flexing my hand to get blood to my fingers. I have now injured my hand WTF?!!

10/02/2013 at 19:34

WTF indeed Spoons! Random injuries are cruel.

Some tough running around Hamsterley Forest Shildon, is there any route around there that can't be described as really hilly?

10/02/2013 at 19:41

Oompa -  Not a PB for me but still very happy.  Well done on the 20 after yesterday's efforts.

AA -  Looking good for sub 1:30 at Reading are you pacing Brol or vica versa, very impressive WAVA for you from today. Just a couple of beers during the rugby, about to open the red.

Carrot -  Great news on the injury, must be a relief.

Shildon - sub 3:15's been my target for a while. Got very close, hopefully this time.

Minni -  Good long one from you, well done for pushing out the last few.

Brol -  Good long one in naff conditions.

10/02/2013 at 19:47

Carrot - like calf guards but ones designed for quads.  Great news from you today.

Master Minni about to tackle in the match today. 

Any other ladies feeling the pressure thanks to AA today...?   Looks like she'll be driving the sub 3:15 train in London.  

10/02/2013 at 20:15
Carrot - nice lsr sounds like your injury may be gone hopefully. Re hamsterley I love it up there because you benefit so much from the training when you get back on the flat. Youre right about the hills though lol. Don't like it much through summer as it gets muggy but come to think of it we don't do summers anymore.

Bb - it seems like a realistic goal. Good luck
10/02/2013 at 20:17
Becs - please enable your messages too. Ta.
10/02/2013 at 20:19

Minni I'm really looking forward to seeing how everyone is going to do in London, it's brilliant to see AA is now a strong candidate for that 3:15.  It's really inspiring to think of how much the women on here have improved so well over the years

10/02/2013 at 20:21
You mean compared to the men Carrot? lol

*only kidding guys!
10/02/2013 at 21:44

Carrot- re VLM - looks as though we'll all end up in Chandos at the same time after it this year

Minni-she's right, we need to buck up our ideas! it's going to be a long pink train. Where does master Minni get his toughness from I wonder ?

Simon- shame you couldn't run today, better than the ergo of death

Did a 10.5k recovery run tonight  so I wouldn't have to do it tomorrow. 65 miles  for the week. Not sure what I'll fit in this week before I go skiing.

10/02/2013 at 22:08

Too tired to read back properly but congrats to AA, Barry and 2old, plus apologies to any other racers I have missed to date - I'll do a proper trawl though tomorrow.

30 miles D&D'd, in some of the worst conditions I have ever experienced in an ultra.  Rained all day, going from moderate to heavy, cold wind in the last 10 miles and man eating mud up to your shins in places, everywhere else deep lying water and loose rubbly gullies.  My hands were so numb I couldn't even pick up the cake to eat it!!  Proper report tomorrow when I thaw out and my sense of humour is restored

10/02/2013 at 22:21
2old - Nice 10.5k recovery. so with your 10k race, just the 20.5k for the day!

O4S - Christ it must of been bad if you think it was bad. Looking forward to the report. I bet BA wasn't too impressed?

Minni - Nice pic of master Minni. He looks like he's trying to pull the shorts of the winger, I wonder where he learnt that from?
10/02/2013 at 22:30

O4S- watched Henry V tonight and your mud experience sounds just like the mud and  crap that contributed to the victory in Agincourt for the English  -heroic! You should ve had FRC there to feed you coffee and cake like he did for me .

Simon- don't forget the 2.5 mile warm up too 

10/02/2013 at 23:02
2old - Oh yes, I forgot about the warm up, so nearer 25k for the day, and only 3 days after your 20miler, impressive.
Edited: 10/02/2013 at 23:06
11/02/2013 at 06:32
Wahoooo! I love big race weekends, what an awesome one this has been! We've had DD with the tri, Shildon on the ykw (welcome!), Minni, oompa - nice XC, O4S's ultra - sounds gritty, 2old with a fab fast 10k (FRC - hope your OH had a good one too), and barry and AA with a pair of unbelievably fast HMs - super inspiring, AA you must be so pleased! Can't wait to see what this cycles training produces in the spring. Hope you guys wait for me in the chandos...

And great to see you running good distances again kiwi. Well deserved champers.

Sneaked a 5M run in on a provisions trip to town - achy legs and tight calves after my 14 a couple days ago - need to be careful right now as I'm not getting out as often as I'd like and its affecting my ability to cope with the impact of longer runs. Hoping to hitch a heli-lift to a high cabin for most of this next week - will be great for xtraining, but impossible for running!

Odd sight of the day - 2 small kids having a fight in the supermarket with 3 foot sausages...
11/02/2013 at 08:54

Blimey, what a cracking weekend all round! 

DD - cracking way to set the weekend off for the thread. Imagine it must be really good fun to get the chance to ride around a F1 circuit?

Oompa and Minni - well done on your XC efforts. Both sounded like hard work / enjoyable in equal measure. Sounds like you're more successful at chasing skirt than I've ever been Minni! 

2old - well done on your 10k. When Barry says not to worry about 21 seconds, having come so close to 3.15, you should listen to him.

O4S - you are bonkers, but I'm sure you'll look back on it with your usual good humour once the feeling in your hands returns, well done

Barry - that's a fantastic time, you must be very pleased? You also must be odds on to finally crack 3.15 if you keep everything going in the right direction

AA - definitely performance of the week! Get in there, that's absolutely brilliant - mightily impressive and I'm sure you'll crack 1.30 at Reading (unless you're taking Mr M around again, and then you'll crack 2.30).

That's all of the good stuff out of the way... I managed 7.5M on Saturday at 9 min miling and my HR was higher than a tempo run and I was hacking away the whole time. I reduced my LSR yesterday and only managed 12, which was in pouring rain and a battle the whole way - am pretty sure I have a chest infection, just cannot stop coughing, so not very clever from me. 

11/02/2013 at 09:50

Alright all - been away from here for a few days so lots to read!

simon62w wrote (see)
Ant - Using weights equals bigger muscles, which is just extra weight you have to carry round. Hence why top runners/cyclists look like stick insects and are on starvation diets. 

I think at our very-much-non-elite level more muscle mass makes little difference. The fastest runner at our club is quite muscley, for example. In addition to be making those huge gains that some gym guys make requires total dedication (5X plus per week), protein supplements and prob in some cases steroids. So as a runner at our level you can't lose by hitting the weights IMVHO. 

Well done to all the racers at the weekend! Some seriously great results in there

Minni - I've enabled my messages, I thought they were 

I only managed 13 miles on my 'long' run yesterday instead of the scheduled 16, but it was on the treadmill on Sunday after having spent the entire day at the science museum with the family. Just couldn't bear the thought of another 25 mins!

Also did an Evans Ride It MTB 'sportive' on the saturday which was a complete mudfest. That North Downs chalky clay was ridiculous. 

Cheers

M.r Zuvai    pirate
11/02/2013 at 10:24

DD – great tri – I love racing on car race tracks! Our local duathlon is on the Goodwood race track, great fun is the S-bends and super smooth – can only imagine how great the surface must have been there!

Shildon – nice YKW!

FRC – I have responded! (sorry I have been away all weekend)

AA – Super speedy racing – Whoop! Great running!!

Barry – you beastie – you’re showing us all up again!! Congratulations on a great sub 90

2old – gutted you couldn’t get the result you wanted but that still a very solid performance given the milage that’s in your legs at present! Can you imagine how fast you’d go on fresh legs!! 96th is not to be sniffed at!!

Oompa / Minni – great XC’s followed up by smashing long runs!

Special well done to minni for a long SLOW run  

Spoons – sealskin gloves are a must for winter riding! Hope it clears sharpish

O4S – again you amaze me! Great running in awful conditions – you really do have a mind of steel!!

Ant – that clay is the stuff of nightmares – although I do enjoy the downs for a good bit of MTBing

M.r Zuvai    pirate
11/02/2013 at 10:32

unfortunately a bit of a non-event weekend in terms of running. Travelled up to manchester on friday with the intention of of the race on Saturday. When we got up there my brother and his fiance had finally exchanged keys for their new home so the whole weekend became a frantic house move, then we discovered the sub-basement in the new house wassnt insulated and had just been used as a building site dump, so mutliple trips to the tip then yesterday i spent the entire day crawling around in a 40cm high space fitting insulation!! took all day and i now ache worse than any excercise i've ever taken part in! I have never been more dirty in my life either - i was still cleaninmg dusk/gunk out of my ears this morning!

on the plus side - over the weekend my brother asked me to be his bestman!

11/02/2013 at 10:41

Morning all

KFC- a heli-lift to a high cabin? I will be getting a bus from Geneva. You dont really need to worry about your running fitness or conditioning with all youve been doing even if its low impact-give it a week and all will be good.

Red-yes21 secs is irrelevant in marathon terms.Take care not to overdo things-its not long ago that you were out of the game.Backing off is part of the process

Ant-bet that Sportiv was like cycling in glue, no wonder your 13 mile LR was more than enough

MrZ-not sure if it was the miles,legs, lungs , heart or the mind ...or the lack of beer which held me back?

AA-did you get any bling for your place?

11/02/2013 at 10:45

O4S - Very well done for toughing that one out. You are far tougher, mentally, than me. I would've thrown the towel in long before 30 miles. In fact, like Minni, i would've stopped yesterday at 15 (tight calf) and then 17 (knee), had i not been so far from home! 

Red - A chest infection and this current weather do not make a good combination... Sounds like a couple of "duvet days" to me. 

Newbie question... What is a Chandos??? At a guess, knowing this thread, it MUST BE A PUB????

I've got major doms!!!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.