RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,541 to 26,560 of 37,582 messages
15/02/2013 at 14:03

Afternoon All,

SS - Well done for the mile intervals, especially with a hangover... I think i'd rather boil my head than do that! The speed sounds like it's coming back quite quickly as well, so what time are you aiming for now?

Ant - Nice tempo.

Chick - Don't know how you ran in -4.5 plus windchill??? I wouldn't be able to breathe!

Bro & AA - Nice, speedy reps.

Minni - Glad the calf issue was only temporary.

DD - I would have thought the obvious car choice after a Hummer is a Smart!

6 miles this morning at 6.00 am and daylight was poking it's head above the horizon! 1m w/u @ 8.41, 5m @ 7.31. Should've been at MP but it was far tougher than it should've been as it was very cold so couldn't breathe very well, legs felt dead, etc... etc... and any other excuse i can find!!!

15/02/2013 at 14:33

SS - brilliant mile reps  and 7.25 pace is no slouch when you're still on the comeback trail. 

Ant - nice tempo session. And Oompa too. What is your MP then if 7.30 was too slow...are you going for the 3.15 as well?

I did a similar run today - 1m w/u / 6m @ average 7.15 (pace ranged from about 6.50 to 7.30) / 1m c/d.  Feeling quite positive about that one

DD - ha ha - definitely not 27 degrees here today, even in farenheit. 

OH and me did the romantic dinner out last night, although the meal wasn't great. Comical moment when I had my starter which was meant to be a beetroot, spinach and rocket tart, but I couldn't see any spinach...so I asked and the waiter scurried away, then came back all sheepish to say that the chef forgot to put it on and handed me a bowl of steamed spinach   Only one bottle of wine between us, but I did also have a very large baileys when I got home

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 14:34
15/02/2013 at 15:40

Nothing like an easy week after a hard race eh AA? Great pace for those KM reps.

Yay Chick lunges are the way to go!

SS - well done on your mile reps, great to see your fitness is coming back!

No Valentine's dinner out last night for the Carrot/Parsnip duo, we're going out tonight.  I had a 12 miler scheduled and had a cake to cover in sugarpaste, and Parsnip wanted to get a decent run in with a bloke from the running club.  I did make him some heart shaped cake pops though, and I was presented with a lovely box of chocolates

15/02/2013 at 15:53

Carrot- was it you who rented an apartment in Berlin? I seem to remember you recommended a website at some point.  Can you remind me who it was? I need to get my flights and acommodation sorted for the mara.

15/02/2013 at 16:03

Free - Yes i'm aiming for 3.15 but unless MP starts to feel a bit more comfortable soon, may have to reevaluate.

We did the Valentine's dinner thing last night and went to a very good Portuguese restaurant that we've been to many times before, but i still hesitated before ordering the fillet steak in red wine and mushroom "special", just in case we had to "hoof" it home! Had two pints of Sagres.

15/02/2013 at 16:40

yeah, breathing is a nightmare in this. I used my inhaler 3 times and I was wearing my buff over head & mouth.

I was supposed to do MP but really couldn't be bothered and thought an all aerobic MLR would do the trick. At least I got progressively quicker and legs and everything felt fine. It's just the cold. I wonder how things will feel when it's finally plus temps again. Easier, I hope!!

15/02/2013 at 18:08

good runs Chick Oomps and Free .At least even after Valentines night you had enough strength and energy left

DD- youd need to leave those tank  behind with cost of fuel here.  Isn't that car better known as  pious? 

LR done  Got caught out when the temperature suddenly dropped and didnt have my gloves.... 21 miles done @ 7.34 pace  .Faster than planned as I was trying to get warm. Anyway recovery week next week. This weeks febtastic completed too.

15/02/2013 at 19:28

SS -  Good couple of days for you running/ and life away from running.  Got another physio appt booked for next Friday, which is my monthly "check up" but maybe a bit more work on calf required.

Brol - Nice repeats in your 14 miler.

Minni -  Good news re your calf.

Chick -  Good solid mileage again from you.

Ant/Freemers- Good running, always a bonus when a run goes well and feels good.

Oompa -  Early morning runs always feel harder, don't back off 3:15 yet plenty of time left.

2old - Very pacy long run.

Trying to keep my sensible(bigger picture) head on, so no running again for me today.  Calf is not sore to touch but I feel it when I'm walking,  not painful just discomfort and feels tight. Am concerned as I had a similar issue a few years ago which  restricted my running for about 6 weeks, so going to heed advice and be cautious regarding running.

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 19:28
15/02/2013 at 19:54
Barry- don't worry - it happened to me before Liverpool Marathon and a short rest physio and easy return worked with no adverse effects. You've got a great base which will underpin things when you resume normal service.
15/02/2013 at 20:37

That's all sorted then. Team Minni meet up in 2014 is on the 17th May for the Rennsteiglauf. I can't wait. Beer and sausages at the checkpoints.... 

15/02/2013 at 21:14
Ant - yes Paris is very soon. I'm going there to support my daughter in her first marathon. Her LR is up to 13 miles so she has a lot more to do but she is determined. Not sure how I do my 18 mile scheduled for then .
15/02/2013 at 21:44

Sounds good for 2014.  Don't forget we're also doing the Hadrian's wall ultra and was Boston not mentioned too.

Barry - I got a bad calf injury in Autumn 2011 after running a fast HM.  I ignored what my calf was telling me and kept running/icing/massage/running/icing/massage until it won in the end.  That's why I've just taken three days more or less off since it was hurting again.  I missed my marathon and was gutted and promised to heed the warning signs in future.  If I was you I wouldn't run over the weekend then reassess on Monday.   As 2old said you've got a great base and that aint going to change from missing a couple of runs.  

I also realise its very easy to give out good advice but its harder to listen to it.

15/02/2013 at 21:56
Minni- I listened to you in October!
15/02/2013 at 22:00

Did you?!! I didn't think anyone listened to me!

15/02/2013 at 22:07
Minni- we all toe the line for you - the Minni line - here. Actually that's one of the strengths of this forum advice is given not dictated and as most here think they are indestructible there would be a tendency to self destruct -who hasnt got an injury history-so a gentle word of advice makes all the difference
15/02/2013 at 22:10

I listen to you Minni - and then ignore what you said

Still feeling rubbish, although I can now speak (sort of).  We decided to do a short walk this afternoon to enjoy the good weather - 10 miles later we got back to the car. I am not popular at the moment

Snowdrops, daffodils and the first primroses have appeared in our garden .  Spring is springing....................

15/02/2013 at 23:26
Minni - Yes we pretend not to listen to you, but really you're our wise old Buddha!

O4S - As the poem says........
Spring is sprung, the grass is ris.
I wonders where the birdies is.
They say the birds is on the wing.
Ain???t that absurd?
I always thought the wing was on the bird.

It was a nice sunny day today, and glad your're getting your voice back.

Spoons - Is the Rennsteiglauf instead of Comrades 2014. I think anything that includes eating and drinking will get the vote for Team Minni
Edited: 15/02/2013 at 23:27
Dubai Dave    pirate
16/02/2013 at 06:39

Morning

Well I will be doing the Wall in 2014, no choice friends from Dubai are coming.

2Old: Nice long run, run 18 miles of the Paris course as a bandit

Minni: We all listen to you and then ignore you.

2 hours on the bike done, out to Bab Al Shams the 5 star desert resort, Complimentary  slippers for the walk to the Coffee shop, Latte & pastries served by the staff, hand towels to wipe of any perspiration, Stroll back to the bike and cycle back to the car, I'm really going to miss the Saturday Coffee run, I know I'm screwed! 

16/02/2013 at 07:13

DD - you'll be fine. You can cycle to a burger van on a layby on the A303.....

16/02/2013 at 08:21

Bro I recently stayed in a great apartment in Berlin,  I can PM you the details if you're interested.

DD that sounds amazing. I'm beginning to fear for how you're going to adjust back to Blighty. You need to start tapering off the Dubai lifestyle or you'll break down at the first sight of a Costa.

In keeping with the thread etiquette I'm accidentally hungover for today's long run. Definitely have to get out there though as I also accidentally ate an entire pizza last night.

Spoons. wrote (see)

That's all sorted then. Team Minni meet up in 2014 is on the 17th May for the Rennsteiglauf. I can't wait. Beer and sausages at the checkpoints.... 

I'll have just turned 30. What better way to celebrate the loss of my youth than writing off any hopes of speed and embracing the mad world of ultras?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.