RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,581 to 26,600 of 37,330 messages
16/02/2013 at 20:56
Xpost Weeble - I think he's a slacker!
16/02/2013 at 21:02
Carot - Nice relay in great conditions.

Kiwi - Glad to hear you're back on your schedule and enjoying running, and enjoy your spin class.

Becs - Just to be pain free must of felt good, onwards and upwards.

FRC - Good to hear your (sp) injury hasn't stopped you from circuits.

Minni - Hope you weren't to shaken by the experience, and hopefully the car will be ok, (((((hug)))))))

Still not running, so some more x-training in the gym, a rower sess for me. 10000m in 41.12 @ 2.03.6 pace.
As my run 10k Pb is 44.42, does this mean I'm more suited to rowing, or does everyone have better rowing times than running times?
Edited: 16/02/2013 at 21:05
16/02/2013 at 21:11
Simon I'm not shaken but I'll take the hug anyway!!

I'm not a rower so can comment but my 10k time was well above 45 till last year. Get back to running!
16/02/2013 at 22:06

Simon - I only do half an hour on the rower but I usually go through 5000m in around 20 - 21 mins so it sounds about right. Mind you it's a lot easier than racing a 10km run race.

I ran today! 30 mins / 3 miles / 10:00 pace. Felt OK.

Am supporting GF at Stamford 30km tomorrow. I plan on cycling round. 

17/02/2013 at 05:44

here's to a great comeback for Becs, Kiwi, and Spoons.

Simon: it would probably take me 2hours to row a 10k

Minni: eeek! That car thing sounds scary. How can something like that happen??

Carl: don't worry too much about Febulous. I had to can last week's long run as I felt I was coming down with something. 2 rest days and I was ok again. If I'd run I'd probably lost a week or so. As much as I hate missing a run, sometimes it pays off to be sensible

Good luck O4S (if you decide to run) and AA

Just waiting for daybreak to do my 22. Pitch black out there still but at excatly zero degrees it sounds like a pleasant warm day . May consider vest & shorts

17/02/2013 at 05:53

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 05:53
17/02/2013 at 06:58
Morning all about -8 here but sun is on its way.
Brief hello to everyone. Good running and racing today though not for me. Running outside looks a bit of a logistical nightmare so I'm hoping I find a treadmill for this weeks Febtastic. Now off to rent some skis.
17/02/2013 at 07:00

Good luck to everyone racing and doing long runs today. 

No running today for me. I'm going to run every other day for a few weeks as I slowly build up distance. And no races, no speed work, no pressure from coaches, no club nights. Just doing my own thing, quietly building. Plus keeping up loads of gym, swim and bike. I'll be marathon fit in no time

17/02/2013 at 09:46

Cheers Chick ref HADD, I'll keep reading before I make a decision.

Minni- I agree with all that you have said, I think I want both club and coach but I can't do both. I'm probably on a downer as I haven't done a race for a while and everyone on here are entering races and bringing out great results. I have a 10k next Sunday so will start to think positive and see where I am fitness wise.

Weeble- I'm in the eat all of the pizza camp, I wouldn't have the willpower to only eat half.

AA/O4S- Good luck today at Bramley 20

FRC- No I'm not running the VLM but will be spectating. I hope your niggle clears up.

Carl- Take it easy your body may just be letting you know it needs a few days to recharge. Which half have you got planned for next weekend?

DD- I like your conclusions on being coached especially E and F!

Becs- Great to see you back and enjoying your run.

2old- Have a great time skiing.

Minni- Sounds scary when your car goes out of control, at least no one was injured.

Spoons- Marathon fit or Tri fit???

Dubai Dave    pirate
17/02/2013 at 11:34

2Old: where are you skiing?

Spoons: sod running do an Ironman for your comeback

Becs: Your a baby! Good to see you back on form

Minni: turn into a bloater? I did 20 hours of Aerobic exercise last week, that needs fuel!

Cycled for 3.5 hours across the desert, I think I'm going to hate my bike by June.

17/02/2013 at 11:58

22 miles d&d, a smidgen under 9mm pace. 70% of max. HR. Nothing spectacular. Glad to see the aerobic fitness is where it's supposed to be. I cursed myself for having done more lunges yesterday though ... I sure felt it towards the end 

17/02/2013 at 12:30
Quick skim over everything so sorry if I miss everyone. Bit short on time. Minni,, I hope you're doing ok after the car incident.

Good luck to all racing today!

Weeble, a full pizza is most definitely OK!

AA, hope your kitchen sorted soon.

Chick, great LSR.

DD, I will assume "Dubai Decadence" mantle when you leave.

Kiwi, Becs and everyone coming back from injury, get in there!!

Simon and everyone still struggling with injury, hang on in there!

Gazelle, I really hope you sort out your coaching dilemma. I agree with Minni, you just have to work out where your head is at, where you want to get to, and how you're going to do it. Run the 10k and make a decision after that. You can always change your mind further down the line if you've made the wrong decision.

I've never tried HADD. I think Scuba Trooper did at one point? I know he's not around on the forum too much and is recovering from rather a lot at the moment, but I'm sure if you PMd him, he'd impart some words of wisdom.

15 miles for me today. Hmm, not sure I'm liking this massive lack of endurance fitness right now. I've gone from nothing to 15 miles in 6 weeks and it's really starting to show. Never did I think I'd hear myself say this, but I wish I was racing some of the short stuff rather than a marathon!! My pace was so much better today for about 10 miles, feeling good at around 9:25-9:35. I seemed to speed up over the next couple of miles, 9:15, which felt so much better in terms of leg turnover, but my heart rate crept up to 160 and stayed there or thereabouts for the remainder of the run, despite my last couple of miles being back down around 9:35 pace.

So I'm feeling a bit like I don't know where I'm going. A few steps forward in terms of pace with my intervals and I start thinking maybe I could aim for faster than 9 m/m, a few leaps backwards when it comes to miles in the legs and then worrying whether I will even be able to make 9m/m. I really don't know what to think!! But hey, the sun is shining ( oh yeah, I forgot by the end of my run the temp was 28-9 so that probably didn't help) and I'm out there running so life is good!!!
17/02/2013 at 14:39
SS - hang in there. You've come on massively in 6 weeks.

Chick - lovely 22 miler. Sounds bang on to me.

BRAMLEY 20:

Quick check in. Met O4S and BA briefly before the start. Decided to try and do 8:30s for 10 then 7:30s for 10. All went a bit tits up. When am I gonna learn to pace myself. I felt really comfortable on first lap even though. Was going a bit quick. Upped it at 10 miles for second half and had a bit of a bobble @16-18 miles but hung on.

Splits:
8:11
7:42
7:43
7:59
7:54
7:54
7:49
7:57
7:55
7:50

7:19
7:14
7:18
7:17
7:19
7:24
7:20
7:34
7:30
7:15

2:31.58 overall time. Lovely day for it and as normal a fantastically organised event by Reading Roadrunners.
The boy did 1:17 and mr AA did 1:28. I ache all over again now
17/02/2013 at 15:12

Wow, AA nothing like your plan, but what an awesome 20 miles, you are on fire at the moment! Sounds like Mr and Master AA had good runs too.

Minni - bizarre incident with your car, hope it doesn't cost too much to fix!

Chick - a good 22 from you.

SS - don't be too hard on yourself, it is always surprising how much fitness we lose during a period of injury etc, you've come on loads in 6 weeks,the speed will eventually come back. I couldn't run that far in 28 degrees!

Spoons - how did your girlfriend get on in the 30km? Good to see you are back running.

The bionic woman had us doing a mix of seated climbs/intervals at spin today, I thought my thighs were screaming yesterday, gee today during the seated climbs they were on fire! Convinced that other than keeping me sane, spinning has helped build the glute muscles, probably will stick with it twice a week.

17/02/2013 at 17:35
SS - You're doing great, you can't expect miracles in 6wks.

AA - Great time for your 20m race, even if you didn't follow you plan. I presume you mean the boy and Mr AA did 2.17 and 2.28 respectively, or have you got some pro athletes in the family?

Chick - 22m after a day of lunges, you're bound to feel it in your legs.

Kiwi - All this 'screaming and burning' legs will be worth it come the summer. I think all spin instructors are sadists anyway.
17/02/2013 at 17:38

Wow brilliant racing today AA, you're going to be flying around London on 21st April.

Weeble - I hadn't seen that story about Mo... why bother starting? Don't see why he doesn't just find another HM somewhere?  Like you say, maybe he's just saying that and is planning to run the full thing but he's covered his back in case he has a crummy race.  He can just drop out if he's suffering as that's what he planned to do.

Minni it was a really good day out, I like relays too - a proper team effort in a race, rather than everyone just running their individual times.  I've had a good week this week so I'm hoping the quad was just a bad niggle that I caught in time.  It was a bit tired yesterday just after the run but I disappeared into the toilets to lunge and that seemed to sort it out!  Hope your car gets sorted.

Simon - from memory when I used to go to the gym alot I used to be able to row 5000m in about 21-22 minutes.  I didn't run as much then but my 10K time would have been around 50 minutes, there's no way I'd have run 5K in 22 minutes then.  So don't give up the running!

Gazelle - are there any coaches at your club who'd be willing to take you under their wing?  I've been given a training plan for London by one of the coaches at my club, they include the weekly track session so I don't need to miss out, and races such as the relays yesterday are worked into the plan.  Be good to see how fast you are in your 10K next week, you already have a speedy 10K PB.

Good running Chick, must have been a good duration run.

SS you're doing so well coming back, 15 miles is really good going. It must be tough running in that heat! 

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 17:43
17/02/2013 at 17:40
AA-fantastic race time ..looking very impressive. As an indicator for you .. A month before I did Boston I ran 20 in the same time. I went sub 3.15 for the first time...3.11. Makes you wonder !
Chick- brilliant 22 bagged there
DD- flaine for a change..great conditions. I've is covered a TM and a running route so Febtastic looks secure
Simon- killer ergo session
Kiwi - my thighs are burning from some nice off piste today
SS - good 15 there the endurance is coming ..patience
Minni - glad no serious issues caused by the slide off road and well done getting that LR nailed
17/02/2013 at 17:43

Flying AA, flying.  Blimey is there no stopping you these days. 

Kiwi - you must have thighs of steel.  Are you bursting out your jeans?

Right, I feel awful about this but I'm letting the team down this week on Febulous.  I'm two runs short (because of having a couple of days off earlier in the week)  and could have gone out tonight to do one of them but I'd still not finish on 100%.  I've got a big week (running wise) next week and looking at the bigger picture and all that.  Soz but promise I'll be back on track next week.

17/02/2013 at 18:16

Minni it's just supposed to be a bit of motivation for when you can't be bothered to run in the driving rain, not something to force you to run with a persistent niggle.  I missed two runs last week, I didn't want to let the team down either but you have to nip these things in the bud before they get worse.  It'll be worth missing the couple of days when you have a cracking week next week.  Bigger picture and all that

17/02/2013 at 18:47

Just popping in to say hello to AA who I met at Bramley today.  Looks like you had a very good second half and should be aiming for something around the 3.15 mark.  Well done!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.