RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,601 to 26,620 of 37,108 messages
17/02/2013 at 19:23

So I'm back, alive and mighty thankful I didn't try to run the first half with AA!!

Bramley 20 - the coughing continues............................

Having met up with AA and reluctantly, but sensibly, not tried to go with her, I set off with BA and jogged the first couple of miles at 9.10mm [or at least that is what he said off his ordinary watch, my garmin died at the start].  Decided I felt OK so picked up the pace a bit and went through 10 miles in 1.27 [about 8.42mm if my mental arithmetic is correct] which means I must have done a few reasonable paced miles to compensate for the start.Not knowing what pace I was doing was liberating in an odd way and I just ran on feel.  It started to get quite warm, so I stopped at about 15 miles to take my base layer off and got all tangled up with the gloves tucked into the top of my capris  - so managed to waste about a minute, then found it really hard to get going again.

It was around here, or a bit earlier, than i started to feel the effects of the cold, slightly breathless and started coughing up a bit of gunk [the 2 Day Nurse I took before the start presumably got me that far].  I had to walk a couple of short sections uphill as my heart rate was getting rather high, but I managed to re-pass everyone who passed me while walking and got to the finish in 2.57.xx so although I slowed up quite a lot on the second lap I still managed under 9mm overall and my cold feels infinitely better - which is more than I can say for my legs

BA came in about 8 minutes behind me, muttering about getting slower every year, but otherwise OK.  We had to stop at every service area on the way home to stop ourselves seizing up but overall a good day despite the inauspicious build-up.  Onwards and upwards for the Gloucester 20 in 4 weeks.

17/02/2013 at 19:50

Alright all. Great racing from AA & O4S. I managed 100% febulous this week - and had a long run in the sunshine in Buxton today that worked out just perfectly. 20 miles @ 8:36. Definitely starting to feel that things are finally coming together.

17/02/2013 at 20:08

AA - geez that was quick. 3:15 sounds like a very doable goal. 

Stamford 30km was a great event although very hilly. I biked round and found it hard enough! GF did 2:42 which she was pleased with. 

17/02/2013 at 20:51

AA - Great result from Bramley. A very good confidence boosting run.

O4S -   Good racing, well done for even starting, most of us would have wimped out with the lurgy.

Ant/Chick - Good long runs.

17/02/2013 at 21:46

Just had a chance to read back

Spoons:  I think your plan sounds spot on, no pressure from anyone just doing what feels right

Becs and SS:  sounding positive at last

Ant / Chick:  good runs banked at the right time

Carrot:  I love relays and have a couple of appearances for the club in May

Can't believe we are already half way through the Spring Motivation stuff - must mean we are getting close to the marathon

I have spent the evening discussing whether we should do a 40 mile or a 35 mile ultra 2 weeks before VLM.................................

17/02/2013 at 21:56
O4S - well done to you and BA today. You are very brave doing that when you're feeling under the weather. Take a few easy days - Please!

Ant - great running.

Spoons - great supporting.
18/02/2013 at 06:53
AA - you are smokin' right now, another great performance.

O4S - good to hear you think the cold is on its way out

SS - from my perspective it sounds like you are being very hard on yourself - 0-15 in 6 weeks is a really sharp progression, I'm guessing it just doesn't feel like it cos you've been able to do much more much easier previously after a more consistent block of training. I'm still on the comeback trail and I'll only get to 15M next week - its taken me 15 weeks to build to that from zero! I'm finding my running much harder/slower than when I've started from a decent base, which was always going to be the case, so from the start this time my goal has been to build up the mileage so I'm fit to be on the VLM startline without getting injured - not a specific pace or time. Because I've not been running long for a year, I've expected each time I step up the mileage for the longer runs to find it hard - which I have! While I'd love to be competing with the speedsters here, I'm enjoying just going out and running now, knowing I'm building a great base for the next marathon!

Back from a fab few days living in a hut up high - cross training this week has included ski touring, tree felling, snow shovelling and carpentry. Spent valentines day having curry and whisky with 3 friends who've not changed clothes or washed for a few days!

Got out for a 9M today - gentle pace as I've been asking my legs to do lots of things they don't usually recently and am wary of making the calves irate.

Minni - no need for jantastic guilt (and I'm definitely not the one to give it...) - its not the main goal.
18/02/2013 at 08:50
Morning all,

Half term bliss, no school, just stacks of marking + report writing to do, at least I have home comforts.

O4S - good you seem to be beating that cold, amazing you got around your 2 miles in a good time. Make sure you recover fully.

Minni - don't worry about jantastic, as others have said you have to listen to your body.

Nice long run Ant.

2old + KFC - your skiing adventures sound like fun, excellent cross training!

Mildly achey quads today, and Minni sadly they do not resemble steel, still working on that, lol!
18/02/2013 at 09:16

Morning folks,

Yet more great running happening over the weekend. AA - there is just no stopping you! Great 20 mile time, I really think you're going to have a storming VLM this year

O4S - nicely done from you too - especially on the back of the lurgy you're been suffering with all week.

Ant / Chick / 2old - great LSRs from you all.

Minni - scary with the car going like that...glad no real harm done.  And I agree with everyone else on Jantastic...it's only a bit of fun and not like any of us really need the motivation as we all have our own goals anyway.

SS - great to be up to 15 miles already. As kfc said you've ramped up the miles pretty quick and it's no wonder it feels hard. It will come back.

Becs - it's great you are able to run without pain, even if it's only a mile or two

I did my 15 yesterday - average 8.10 pace. Nice day for it - foggy and cold at first but the sun came out and it was lovely by the end. No wind either which makes a change!

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 09:16
18/02/2013 at 09:40

Oompa- HADD is explained here. I'm no expert and never used it but I understand that it involves doing a lot of very slow miles and controlling your effort with a heart rate monitor. There is a separate thread for those who follow it. I don't think you can change your long runs on jantastic at this stage..

DD- totally agree with your points on coaching but at this point in time it very much works for me. I don't think I'm experienced enough to know what I'm doing half of the time and also need to be held back every now and then, otherwise would run myself to the ground!

Carrot- well done on the relays, sounds like you enjoyed yourself!

Weeble- thanks for the pm. I agree it's a bit strange for Mo to do half of the VLM. Why not just race a normal half? Not sure what it will tell him in terms of preparation for next year.

Minni/ Carl- I agree that there's no point worrying about jantastic. It's there to motivate you but not to make you run when you're injured.

Chick- great 22m yesterday!

AA- great racing yesterday.... got a bit carried away??? Lol!

O4S- great racing from you as well especially when not feeling100%.

SS- I think you're doing very well considering how much mileage you've ramped up in the last few weeks. Don't obsess about the pace at this stage, there really is no point especially if you're running in 28-29 degrees.  You're getting there!

2Old- happy skiing!

Free- speedy 15 miler!

18/02/2013 at 09:44

Good weekend of running here. 6m @ 7:43 on Saturday. It was supposed to be easy but MrB joined me and as usual it ended up being faster than planned. Still really enjoyed it. 3h15min LSR on Sunday ended up being 22.5m @ 8:39. Perfect day for it, sunny and crisp. All in all clocked up 75m last week so the biggest week of this campaign.

Dubai Dave    pirate
18/02/2013 at 10:06

Morning

AA: Stonking

O4S: Take a break you deserve it

SS: You wil get there

Chick / Ant / Bro good long runs

2K swim set done, club run tonight. No Cycling today

18/02/2013 at 10:56

Morning All,

Skimming back through the thread, there has been some great running this weekend.

AA - Fab 20. You must be confident of a sub 3.15 VLM after that.

O4S - Well done on even finishing with the remnants of that cold/cough/whatever it is? I'd give the ultra, two weeks before VLM a miss, but i'm beginning to see a recurring theme on this thread that we don't seem to do the sensible thing too often! 

Becs & SS - Slowly, slowly to catch a monkey! 

Bro - Thanks for the HADD info. 75 mile week... WOW

Minni - Disgraceful example set by our team leader in Jandoesitreallymattertastic! 

I managed to resolve my faux pas with regards to putting the wrong lsr mileages in on Febohbuggeri'mgettingboredofthisulous by running 2 mile w/u, then 4 @ 8.13, followed by 12 miles at 7.26 with another 2 mile c/d... Phew!

Rest day today but i'm gonna hit the gym for some core work, so that i get ripped like Spoons... If you've never seen an orange six-pack, you haven't lived!

18/02/2013 at 12:14

Oompa:  the ultra two weeks before VLM is not ideal - but then neither is the 100 mile event two weeks after VLM!!

Another gorgeous day and I am tempted to go for a recovery run, but my legs are not so sure..........................

Kiwi:  be careful what you wish for - I developed quads of steel in 2008 when I couldn't run and focused on cycling, including 4,000 miles across the USA.  None of my trousers would go on, 6 inches too big at the waist and quads bursting out of the legs - not a good look

Well done all on the long runs - if only we could have this temperature and weather for our marathons

18/02/2013 at 12:15

Hi gang! 2.5km swim this morning in 53 minutes. Will run 35 minutes after work. Then go to the gym for an hour.

18/02/2013 at 12:29

What a beautiful day.  Makes you almost forget all those long hard miles in the snow and ice.  1.5 mile intervals bagged along with a run along the river with the dog as a warm up.

That's a bit speedy Oompa  and nice miles from you Brolish.  Nice to see you coming back Spoons.

Enjoy the sun folks.

18/02/2013 at 14:28

Minni -  As others have said don't overly worry about febulous, there's others slacking more than you.

Freemers/Oompa/Brol -  Good running from you all.

Night shift for me this week so as calf felt OK yesterday decided to run to  and from work.  3.5 miles in last night slow and it felt OK just a bit tight but the run home this morning was awful with same pain returning with avengance. That was 5 days rest spent icing and stretching since my last run.  Got a physio appt this friday, going to try the eliptical x trainer at the gym tomorrow so see if I can train on that. So this mornings effort might be my only run this week.

18/02/2013 at 14:45

(((Barry))) back right off.  Take the week off. There's still loads of time and you really need to get this calf better.  I found I could cycle and the x training might be ok too.  I remember sal f on the 3:15 missing virtually the whole of the marathon build up due to injury and she just cross training and ran a pb in 3:09 (I think!).    I know its hard - I used to go to bed early hoping that when I woke it would be better - but you will get there, just give it a bit more time.

18/02/2013 at 16:00

Barry - As Minni said, back right off. It took me two solid weeks of no running (just swimming & x-training) before it healed. Also, i wore compression calf guards to bed most nights (much to OH's delight)... Dunno if they helped or it may have been placebo, but worth a try?

18/02/2013 at 18:00
Barry - agree. Don't rush back, cross train loads and wear calf guards. Is it the same calf that you've struggled with previously?

Bro, Freemers, chick, Oomps... All excellent long runs in the bag. And anyone else I've forgotten

Simon - the boys are doing the Reading half hence their times were for the 10 miler yesterday.

O4S - hope you rested today.

No running for me today. Ache a bit but not as bad as last week but decided I didn't want to push the calf so took one of the teenagers down to Bournemouth for the day with the dogs, then came back and did an hour in the garden
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.