RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,641 to 26,660 of 37,209 messages
19/02/2013 at 12:04
X-post, Chick. Sending you lots of warmth from the desert
19/02/2013 at 12:06

SS - Oh god, the exam dream....I still get that sometimes! Great running today and I hope you enjoyed the cheesecake

19/02/2013 at 12:57

Freemers - re 20m progressive runs a great idea.

I did something similar at Bramley 20 last w/e: 7m @ 8:20; 7m @ 8:00 and last 6m @ 7:20.

It had a true "tide going out, tide coming in" feeling to it and passing scores of people on the last stint is great for a confidence boost.

This was on tired legs after a full-on Wokingham HM the previous week

19/02/2013 at 13:13
Chick - sorry. I thought the sun was shining everywhere yesterday.
Well done for kicking that fairy.

Brol - blimey 14 with quality before work? You are a grafter. Nice paces too.

Ant - hope you feel better soon.

SS - good news on the run this morning.

No marathon dreams from me yet. I usually have the one where I arrive late and I'm trying to run to the start but the gun has already gone off.

14m @ 8:02 this morning.
19/02/2013 at 13:15
Dubai Dave wrote (see)
Spoons: with the training your doing it has to be a Tri for the comeback, 53 mins for 2.5K is impressive 

I have a few ideas......

I agree re: Mo. I think it's a real shame. It would be far better for him to do the GNR and the GSR which are also televised and do them properly.

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 13:16
19/02/2013 at 13:21
He was a DNS at GNR last year.
19/02/2013 at 14:16

Tempo run done for the week - 4 miles @ 7.00 - 7.10 pace. The bloke on the treadmill next to me was doing the shortest intervals I've ever seen - basically he'd put the speed up to about 10-11 mph and blast it for 10 seconds, then jog for a couple of minutes and repeat lots and lots.  Not sure what he would be training for doing that!

Nice running Minni

Mike - thanks, that's convinced me. I think I'll go with the 5 mile blocks....just need to be disciplined with the pacing!

Dubai Dave    pirate
19/02/2013 at 15:13

SS: The cycle track is on the way to Bab Al Shams provided you are going on Al Qudra road and its goes right past the gate of Bab Al Shams ( thats where we drink coffee on the Saturday ride). You can't miss the start of the track there is a huge archway with green bikes hanging off it.  Lime Tree cafe moments are ace!

19/02/2013 at 15:58

Bro - awesome mileage and well done getting a quality mlr in before work!

Barry - hope you get your calf sorted soon!

S.S and Freemers - nice 4 mile runs from you guys.

Minni - another nice morning run.

Ant - hope you feel better soon.

That is strange re Mo, really don't get why he would bother...

Lovely and sunny here, gentle 3 miles done at midday, had to stop half way to strech my achilles - seems to be an ongoing problem at the moment. I know that doing spin is causing the tightness but obviously don't want to stop spinning as has helped the quads so much! Been streching calves lots, doing stair/calf dips and rollering - anyone got any other tips for tight achilles?

19/02/2013 at 17:16

Kiwi, roll foot with tennis ball first thing in morning for achilles. calf stretches through the day, find some stairs at your work or home, plus see below.

becsa, good to see the injury is clearing. If any use, we do lots of single leg work in circuits, there is a yoga type pose that is particularly good, "Stick" I think. As progression, you can add hand weights, even a wobble board.. then becomes a Romanian Dead Lift. Perfect for strengthening, stretching calfs, hamstrings and quads, even hip flexors, plus works balance & core too.
Stick-RDL

Speed Sheep forgot to congratulate you about the new job. And a great pace on the tempo run too. Nice one. The cake sounded good too

AA Stonking pace on the 20 miler. the temptation to race too much? How did it feel - gasping at limits or loads to spare?
Congrats to other 20s also, Oompa great pace on yours.

Freemers, like the idea of the progressive 20 mile paces.  Shaggy (should always be mentioned) had me do similar last year, first 5-6 miles at MP, middle hilly at 9 ish, last 5-6 at MP.

Whats the Worst thing that can happen - apart from ending in a cupboard

Gazelle, need to get yourself entered in some more races, 10ks & half maybe? ultra even, need targets to focus on. Whats currently booked?

Legs seem recovered, did circuit on Saturday, then harder MRT one on Sunday, with a comfy 6 miles @ 8-9 min miles before it. Doing agility drill section, hurdles, then sprints between cones at one point, no soreness in calf as changed direction unlike 2-3 days before.

Oh, some of knee, ITB aches and pains before ultra, possibly caused by changing shoes Saucony Ride 3 to 5. Found site with Ride 3 for £25 - so bought 2 pairs, feel like your favourite comfy slippers. Drop on the Ride 5s feels odd.

Off for careful club speed session tonight, no lift back so 4m c/d.

19/02/2013 at 17:51

Freemers -  It's good to have dreams. The way the ladies are going on this thread there will be a few of you on the champs start.

Chick -  Well done for getting out, those runs are the ones that make all the difference.

Brol/SS/Minni/Freemers -  Good running. Nice Tempo Tuesday for some of you.

Ref Mo Farrah, just shy of £20,000 per mile not a bad  pay rate. But it is a bit ridiculous stopping at halfway. If he wanted to give it a go why not "bimble" round the full distance in about 2:30, he would gain a lot more respect.

Tried out the eliptical cross trainer for 30  mins this morning and calf OK with it, so x training planned for the rest of the week.

19/02/2013 at 18:09

I feel terrible....I went to submit last weeks runs on janstastic this morning and it had already closed. I didnt get chance to do it last night when I returned from Barcelona and thought that I would still be able to do it today....I feel like ive let the side down....and I had done my target miles and number of runs too which is even more frustrating....im so sorry

I knew I should have done it before I went...but I just didnt want to tempt fate!

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 18:10
19/02/2013 at 20:18

Triple for me today, so thats this week sorted for Febulous - just the long one to do.  Did a 4 mile recovery run into work, then a 4 mile run to recover from the recovery run back from work and finally 3 miles with BA to make sure he went out [I ran the reverse of his route til I met him and then home together].  Sports Massage booked for tomorrow but working or at meetings every other evening this week.  Will either cycle or run to work the rest of the week - so this is definitely my cut-back week!!

19/02/2013 at 20:51

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/46278/gallery/559730_10151402345273468_912958368_n.jpg?width=350

19/02/2013 at 20:55

Sarah - don't worry.  We all seem to have fallen by the wayside last week.   Your pb was much more important.

Loving the triple O4S.

Ice ice ice Kiwi.

19/02/2013 at 21:08
Sarah - Welcome back, don't feel too bad about Jantastic. How's your mara training going btw, I haven't followed your thread for awhile?

O4S - Nice triple, are you feeling better now?

Minni/SS/Bro/Free - Great pacey runs.

FRC - Is there much difference in the drop of the 5's, I presume it's lower?

Minni - Nice photo, still got a bit to go I think hehe!

Barry - Good news on the calf.

Beautiful crisp sunny, cold day so went out on the road bike for 31 glorious miles. The cycling definitely helps with my heel, so will continue to x-train for now.
Edited: 19/02/2013 at 21:12
19/02/2013 at 21:43

MIUAYGA - ah, happy memories

Sounds like a good plan for your first 20M race Freemers, that'll be a good quality training run for VLM!  A bit early for the marathon dreams though, save those for when the taper madness kicks in. 

Great commute into work Bro, hope you managed to stay awake after that.

Sarah - don't worry about it! It's only a bit of fun to get people out of the door and running.  Well done on your cracking HM at the weekend

Had a really good track session tonight, I can honestly say I'm really loving running lately

19/02/2013 at 22:04

Evening

Minni - love the plank pics

Freemers - maybe he was a 100m sprinter.....

Kiwi - amputation and become the new blade runner as the old one is going to prison

1.5 hours in the gym tonight. I'm pushing it a bit more now as I get used to it. My poor body is battered now. My quads are on fire 

19/02/2013 at 22:13
Only a brief visit. Managed 5.5 in the snow yesterday. Very hilly and slow ,another tomorrow. No fresh snow for a few days so getting hard icy surfaces....love them. Great runnning all.
Ps Minni ..love the planks !
19/02/2013 at 22:46
thankyou again Minni for being understanding about jantastic...although im still annoyed at myself for it.

Loving the plank photo....think im more the bear!

Hi Simon, training is going really well at the moment, everything is going to plan, thanks to my fabulous mentor. I did a half on sunday in barcelona and managed to get a new PB (1;33;34 was my official time for 13.2 miles), knocking just under 2.5 mins of my last PB despite running (a little) further and being on my feet for about 7 hours the day before so im over the moon.

Its so hard to keep up with all the threads, the reason why ive been floating around in the back ground on some of them and not posting much.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.