RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,641 to 26,660 of 36,308 messages
19/02/2013 at 09:08

Barry- not good news re the calf, really hope some rest will sort it out.

SSheep- good luck with your tempo roday.

Free- when are you 2x 20m races? I like your progressive strategy... or you can just do AA and race them all out!

14m into work this morning including 3x 2m @ tempo (7:05- 7:07). Much faster than any of my tempo runs/ intervals so far so very happy with that. Now I just need to pretend that I'm capable of doing some work rather than napping at my desk...

19/02/2013 at 09:10

Free- I dream about running all the time, most often that I'm on the track and the finish line keeps on running away from me...

Cheerful Dave    pirate
19/02/2013 at 09:11

Mo should be DQ'd for not trying, like that bloke in the 800m at the Olympics.  As for "getting to know the set up of the race", that's fooling nobody.  He could be the celebrity starter and do that (he may have done that already, I can't remember.  And "giving something back" means taking all the media coverage away from the very impressive elite field they've got this year.  It'll be 13.1 miles of Mo-Cam, an interview after he's stopped, then it'll be time for the wheelchair finish, the last couple of miles of the elite women and 20 minutes of the elite men before it's back to Mo doing photo-ops with Barney Rubble back at Tower Bridge.

You were probably following your garmin route that took you into a cupboard.  There's a lesson for us all there...

19/02/2013 at 09:21

CD - agree on Mo, especially given the fantastic elite field already there this year, which must be the best ever. Trouble is jo-public won't have heard of any of them.  Even less chance for us mere mortals to get on the telly this year - although you probably will if you manage your normal solo run down the Mall to the finish line

Bro - my 20's are the next two Sundays. Not ideal to have them one after the other but there you go!  I'm just glad there are some races like this to do as I'm getting a bit fed up with doing the long runs on my own.  I've also got a HM and a 21 mile race, again on back-to-back weekends  (CD - I guess you're not doing Cranleigh?)

It wasn't so much running into a cupboard that surprised me - most of my runnig dreams end up with the course taking a strange route, but the fact that I would enter an ultra - unthinkable in real life

Dubai Dave    pirate
19/02/2013 at 10:08
Hmm Mo is milking the market and no doubt, it's wrong in every shape and form.

SS: making it up is the only way

Spoons: with the training your doing it has to be a Tri for the comeback, 53 mins for 2.5K is impressive

Cycled for 3 hours around Dubai's very luxurious cycle track, will do a swim set later.
19/02/2013 at 10:15

Free- I did 2 x 20m back to back during my Copenhagen campaign and it was fine.  As long as you can hold back and not race both of them! I really enjoyed doing them half easy/ half at MP.  Like you I do all my long runs on my own and don't mind but it was nice for a change.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
19/02/2013 at 10:43

Freemers - no, I'm not doing Cranleigh, I've left my best spring race on the roads round there too often in the past.  Unlike brolish I end up racing them!  You're welcome to stay the night before though.  Maybe you entered the ultra with the intention of only running half of it?

19/02/2013 at 11:22

Freemers: simple explanation for the dream - the 50 mile ultra was timed to be at least partly overnight and you got lost in the dark, happens to all of us at some point (and to some more often than others) 

19/02/2013 at 11:57
Bro: 75!!  you mileage monster  what's your peak mileage gonna be?

Minni wrote (see)

What a beautiful day.  Makes you almost forget all those long hard miles in the snow and ice.  1.5 mile intervals bagged along with a run along the river with the dog as a warm up.

Enjoy the sun folks.

?? I think I'm on a different planet ....    strong cold wind, sleet, snow and rain all in one go this morning.

Barry bad news - hope your fizz can sort you as quick as carrot's fizz sorted her.

LOL re. funny dreams, Freemers. Mine have yet to start but they usually involve me being late ...  Progressive pacing sounds good. I love being in a race environment without going flat out and slowly catching people that are absolutely dying whilst feeling strong

Rubbish day at work yesterday and I very nearly canned my recovery run but in the end the OCD kicked the CNBA fairy in the ass and I did 3 easy miles. Glad I went.
This morning was 9 miles with strides. I was completely soaked and frozen stiff. Not nice
19/02/2013 at 12:02

Chick- no idea about my peak milage (all down to the boss) but I doubt it will be much higher than this. I have 3 races in March so won't be able to ramp it up too much with all the tapering/ recovering.  Hope the weather starts improving for you, you must be sick and tired of it by now! Well done for getting 3m in, I always feel better after recovery runs.

Whoop whoop, I managed 4 miles at 8m/m and it felt easy!!! I could easily have run another two to get a 48m 10k which at this stage of my training, I will take thank you very much But I held back, just got myself to 45 mins including w/u and c/d. Had to cut session short as had a hot date with a triple chocolate cheesecake awaiting with my guests! DD, it was a Lime Tree Cafe moment

Free, I am cracking up at the cupboard run, that is hysterical! For the past year as I finished my MSc, I had the dreaded 'exam dream'. Now I'm back to running, I guess it will be running mishap dreams again. But I doubt I'll have anything as good as your one! Enjoy your tempo session, and can't wait to hear how your 20 milers go.

Brolish, brilliant session! I hope you manage to stay awake.......

DD, now I am mobile, I'm going to check out the cycle track tomorrow. I'm taking my visitors to Bab Al Shams. Is it on the way, or is it beyond the resort?

Arrgh - darn cold / chesty cough has struck. Cycle commute was tough yesterday and might have to miss today's run. First cold of the winter though so can't complain. 

Still sunny here. 

19/02/2013 at 12:04
X-post, Chick. Sending you lots of warmth from the desert
19/02/2013 at 12:06

SS - Oh god, the exam dream....I still get that sometimes! Great running today and I hope you enjoyed the cheesecake

19/02/2013 at 12:57

Freemers - re 20m progressive runs a great idea.

I did something similar at Bramley 20 last w/e: 7m @ 8:20; 7m @ 8:00 and last 6m @ 7:20.

It had a true "tide going out, tide coming in" feeling to it and passing scores of people on the last stint is great for a confidence boost.

This was on tired legs after a full-on Wokingham HM the previous week

19/02/2013 at 13:13
Chick - sorry. I thought the sun was shining everywhere yesterday.
Well done for kicking that fairy.

Brol - blimey 14 with quality before work? You are a grafter. Nice paces too.

Ant - hope you feel better soon.

SS - good news on the run this morning.

No marathon dreams from me yet. I usually have the one where I arrive late and I'm trying to run to the start but the gun has already gone off.

14m @ 8:02 this morning.
19/02/2013 at 13:15
Dubai Dave wrote (see)
Spoons: with the training your doing it has to be a Tri for the comeback, 53 mins for 2.5K is impressive 

I have a few ideas......

I agree re: Mo. I think it's a real shame. It would be far better for him to do the GNR and the GSR which are also televised and do them properly.

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 13:16
19/02/2013 at 13:21
He was a DNS at GNR last year.
19/02/2013 at 14:16

Tempo run done for the week - 4 miles @ 7.00 - 7.10 pace. The bloke on the treadmill next to me was doing the shortest intervals I've ever seen - basically he'd put the speed up to about 10-11 mph and blast it for 10 seconds, then jog for a couple of minutes and repeat lots and lots.  Not sure what he would be training for doing that!

Nice running Minni

Mike - thanks, that's convinced me. I think I'll go with the 5 mile blocks....just need to be disciplined with the pacing!

Dubai Dave    pirate
19/02/2013 at 15:13

SS: The cycle track is on the way to Bab Al Shams provided you are going on Al Qudra road and its goes right past the gate of Bab Al Shams ( thats where we drink coffee on the Saturday ride). You can't miss the start of the track there is a huge archway with green bikes hanging off it.  Lime Tree cafe moments are ace!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.