RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,681 to 26,700 of 37,116 messages
20/02/2013 at 15:53

Chick:  BA was still on the recovery trail after his ruptured quadricep tendon [although actually we never do 100 mile events together these day].  Jeff is my usual 100  mile running companion, although I left him for dead at 36 miles this year

20/02/2013 at 15:55

Take it easy o4s. a few days rest, plus whiskey?

Minni wrote (see)

OMG I've just counted and its only 8 weeks till London.

5 and half weeks + taper? How long is everyone tapering?

Exception of Brol who will still probably run a light 60 mile week...

Simon, the Ride 5s are an 8 drop, 3s are a 12. Both neutral but cushioning different. Narrower fit too on the 5s.

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 15:55
20/02/2013 at 15:59

O4S somebody did actually die on that ultra!

20/02/2013 at 16:13

would have loved to see the drunken vicars. Pure class

20/02/2013 at 16:15
Great pic of O4S

Rest day for me today

Just taking a sneaky look at the cycling world champs on t'internet (when I should be working). Coming up soon is a young lady by the name of Vicky Williamson in the team sprint...she's from Norwich and OH used to do her strength & conditioning coaching until a year or so ago when she got moved to the GB cycling centre in Manchester i think this is her first senior GB event, she's only 19. Come on Vicky!
20/02/2013 at 17:00
O4S - excellent photo. You still look the same!!

Chick - awesome midweeker.

Kiwi - that's not fair hey

DD - you'll really hate your bike once you get a puncture on every ride once you're back here

9 miles for me today 5@9:20 and 4@8:20 that's all I could manage today. Feel really tired
20/02/2013 at 17:00
Oh yes sorry ....well done sarah on your pb
20/02/2013 at 17:20

Minni -  8 weeks 3 days please, I need as much time as possible.

Chick -  Great run.

Kiwi -  Are you deferring until next year, if so seems unfair you have to pay again.

AA -  You're still getting the miles in and have proven over the last 2 weekends you have speed when you race.

O4S -   Smiling after 96 miles, I'm impressed.

1 hour on the x trainer this mornning, tried to match it to my running plan which was 8 miles steady, so kept the HR in the 150's.

20/02/2013 at 17:41

sorry Barry.  What I meant was: OMG its ages till VLM.

AA - you slacker!

20/02/2013 at 18:48
Great photo of O4S looking far too fresh for someone near the end of a 100 miler!

Yeah, deferred my VLM place to 2014, really surprised that you have to pay the ??28 again as obviously had paid it already for this year! They will send me an injured entry form to re-enter for 2014. Makes it an expensive race!
20/02/2013 at 20:44
Kiwi - Wow that's a bummer. I've got til 15Mar to defer my Manchester mara, and there's just a ??10 admin fee. I don't know why I'm waiting cus I've got no chance of being mara fit for a spring mara.

O4S - if you had told me the photo was at the beginning of your 100miler, I would of believed you, you look great.

Minni - Just over 8wks, wow it's come round so fast.

Some more x-training in the gym for me. 5000m on the rower @ 1.58.7 pace, then 30mins on the bike. Going hiking up in 'the lakes' tomorrow, forecast looks ok.
20/02/2013 at 21:18

Oh Kiwi I guess the deferral was going to happen anyway but always sad if you have to do it.  Hope the stretches and warming up before spin help with the achilles.

Enjoy fartlek tomorrow Minni, one of my favourite sessions!

Chick we did four sets of: 1000m @ 5K pace, 200m jog, 400m hard, 400m jog.  The fast 400m made 5K pace seem nice!  Great running this morning, it often works that when you're not in the mood you have a cracking run.

AA you've had a couple of hard weeks with your races, you'll be back to normal next week.

Nice picture O4S, looking good - had you honestly been 96 miles by that point? How can you still be SMILING?!  You've not changed for 10 years, those ultras must be doing some good.

No running tonight but - inspired by Kiwi - I went along to spinning which is now included as part of our gym membership.  It was hard work

20/02/2013 at 21:30

40 minute run for me tonight. Felt really good. I know it's not 96 miles but it's a step in the right direction.....

20/02/2013 at 22:35

Just back from 3 hour committee meeting for the South Wales 2014 100 mile event - so no chance of stopping yet! 

Yes guys I am a cheery sort of person and am known on ultras for always having a smile.  It was at 96 miles and it was the first time that, unknowingly, I met Minni - and  look what that had led to!!

Minni:  someone did die on that event and on the 1990 event, which sounds bad but if you think of 40 years of 500 people walking / running 100 miles in one go I suppose two deaths isn't unreasonable.  Unlike the marathon you do have to complete a 50 mile ultra in the 15 months before the 100 mile event itself.

20/02/2013 at 22:49
thankyou everyone for your congrats and for your support with jantastic.

Amazing photo of O4S....you look fresh as a daisy, as though you haven't done a mile over a 10k. Hope I look that good at the end of VLM this year.

Im jealous of your physio appointment Minni and O4S.

....how do you run for 50 miles, let alone 100!
Edited: 20/02/2013 at 22:52
20/02/2013 at 23:29
Fab pic O4S!

Great PB Sarah - speedy!

Spoons - good to see you upping the running again, plus the monster gym sessions!

Simon - re erg/run times, There are rowers who can row 5k in under 15mins but would struggle to run 5k in twice that, and vice versa! Height has a big effect - I'd suggest if you are over 6'5" and can row 2k in close to 6mins you could consider a switch!

SS - glad my meanderings were helpful - I keep telling myself its all about building the base!

I think Mo running VLM is fab even if its just halfway - what a great chance for lots of people to see him run in the UK - I remember how inspiring it was to go see Paula lead the race. Would be awesome if he's pacing a WR attempt, but I've no problem with him earning money so people can see him run - way better than doing broadband ads...
21/02/2013 at 06:07

DD, oh my word that cycle track is awesome!!!  I love it.  Once i've had a couple of pay packets in, I'm getting me a bike   Brilliant drive out into the desert with the roof down, lovely lunch at Bab Al Shams, it's amazing having a driving licence 

Barry, fingers crossed the x-training and rest helps.

Minni, brilliant plank stuff!!

Simon, your bike ride sounds brilliant!  Glad you enjoyed it.

Carrot, yay for how it's all going for you at the minute 

Spoons, beat those quads into submission!  So glad you're feeling good running too.

Kiwi, really sorry about the withdrawal.  I know how gutting it feels   And I also felt miffed at having to pay twice.  Hmph!!  Hopefully see you in the pub after, if you feel like coming along.

Sarah, amazing PB.  Well done you!

Chick, speedster 

O4S, great pic!

AA, you've had some amazing run recently, not surprised you're feeling tired.  Easy few days and you'll be back in gear.

21/02/2013 at 06:16

MLR for me yesterday.  9 miles, average pace 9:18 which is sounding much better, but my heart rate is still way too high.  It was up in the high 150s by the end, Garmin said it averaged 151.  I also managed to cock up my nutrition.  Took visitors out for lunch so ate way too much and two hours wasn't enough for that pasta to digest.  Ended up getting a massive stitch so cut planned 10m to 9m as I was in agony and didn't have time to mess around as we had a Happy Hour to get to.  I sacrificed that final mile for cheap wine   Anyway, musn't grumble as my legs felt great, no calf pain so am happy about that.  

I'm doing some sort of speed session today.  I'm thinking about 800s.  Will see how I feel when I get round to it.  I have a light to moderate hangover today so hopefully it won't be too horrific. 

21/02/2013 at 09:18

Just completed my longest swim. 4km / 160 lengths in 85 mins.

Dubai Dave    pirate
21/02/2013 at 09:18

Morning

Lots of deferring going on, hope that everyone is soon back to fitness.

SS: Yeah the cycle track is OK but there are better places to ride! The plus side of the track is that you can always stop off at Bab Al shams for a coffee. Good luck with the intervals.

Just a swim for me today, yesterdays bike ride in the wind finished me off.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.