RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,721 to 26,740 of 37,093 messages
21/02/2013 at 13:45

Just quickly popping in as have deliberately stayed away this week because I'm totally fed up with being ill. I seem to be getting worse rather than better, am now 22 days since the cough began and I've lost count of the number of people in the office who have told me I have a chest infection and look like death. Docs tomorrow, so hoping for some max strength ATBs.  

Seems identical to what you've got O4S as I can manage a run, but then just when it seems like it's getting better it comes back with a vengeance. So Ant, I really hope yours doesn't progress into the same thing, especially as your mara is just that little bit closer. 

SS - thanks for your words of wisdom at the tail-end of last week, made me feel much better reading them. We are in exactly the same place!

Well done to O4S & AA for your weekend exploits, and glad to see you manage a pain free run Barry. Everyone else seems either broadly on track with some very good runs taking place or deferring through darned injuries. 

Is anyone racing this weekend?

21/02/2013 at 14:41

Sorry to hear your still ill Ant, O4S and Redwood. Hope your all feeling better soon. Try not to get back in to training to quickly so you all make a full recovery and dont have any more set backs. Its been an awful few months with some nasty bugs circulating at the moment.

chickadeee wrote (see)

Spoons: a 4k swim . That would take me all day ...

Recovery day for me - plan says to do a double: 6 am, 4 pm but I couldn't be arsed to get up this morning so I just did 5 in my lunch break and will do another 5 tonight. Tempo run tomorrow

Think a 4 K swim would take me all week...thats if I dont drown first!

I dont think anyone should have to get up at 6am in winter..its far to cold. Im doing a race on saturday and have just been told that I need to be at my friends house by 6:30....I feel tired just thinking about it!

21/02/2013 at 15:53

Poor redders . Hope the doc sorts you. I have a race on Sunday but since I missed one long run with MP I won't be racing the 10k. Instead I'm going to do the 20k option and run those at MP with a few miles either end.

21/02/2013 at 16:03

Sounds like a good plan chick.

Hi Redders - sounds nasty and I can't believe it's lasted this long. Hope the doc can give you top strength drugs . I'm racing Sunday - 20 miler, aiming for progressive pace.

Well I zipped up the man suit and did my easy 6 outside...the wind wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and it ended up being quite a nice bimble down the embankment

Sarah - my alarm is set for 05.20 for work ....but I never run that early!

21/02/2013 at 16:56
Afternoon all. Sorry to hear you're still struggling Redders, Ant and O4S.

Freemers- Well done for getting out today. It was bitter here too.

I did my intervals outside today. 9.3 miles with 5x1m in them and 2 minutes recovery. 6:38, 6:28, 6:40, 6:45, 6:50. It got harder felt crap this afternoon so probably pushed it a bit too much. And I seem to have developed a bit of a thread cough too.
21/02/2013 at 17:26

Freemers - is that the Bury 20?

I'm off to a coaches meeting  in the pub

21/02/2013 at 18:01
Hello All
Quick check in. Not much running here. Managed my second Febtastic run for the week today ,a very hilly run for just over an hour in -10. Chick..how do you do it day in day out?. If I can squeeze another in tomorrow I may just meet my target for the week .No time to read what's gone on so hope all are well and running / training 100%
21/02/2013 at 18:07

Evening All.

That is one big swim Spoons.  Has it come back quickly?  I know a while ago you said you thought you'd struggle since you'd missed a bit.

Kiwi - to be fair at least London offer you the chance to defer.  In loads of other races you just lose the place. 

Ant, Redders - sorry you hear you're both still chesty.  Perhaps Sarah can pop something in the post for you both and you too O4S.

10 miles on a recovery day Chick?  Hardcore or what?!

Freemers - what's the progressive plan for Sunday?

Gazelle - is it your 10k this weekend?

AA - I'm not sure if you've caught the thread cough or if your lungs are just protesting at all these fast miles.

So today was an 11 mile run:  4 miles w/u then 6.5 miles running 5 minutes @ MP/ 5 minutes HMP, followed by a cool down.  The 'quality' bit came out at : 7:20, 6:49, 7:21, 6:48, 7:24, 6:49, 7:70, 6:50, 7:19.  The MP bits felt comfortable but then again they would after the HMP bits that felt a bit but doable. Not not doable for 13.1 miles.

Lovely painful sports massage this afternoon, which was just what I needed.

21/02/2013 at 19:40

Is 7:70 and same as 8:10? Speedy work Minni. 6:50 HM pace is on!

and yes, the swimming came back much quicker than running does. Don't know why....

21/02/2013 at 19:46

oops 7:20!  I don't think 6:50 HM is on.  I just don't think I could hold on for that distance. 

21/02/2013 at 20:28
KFC wrote: Simon - re erg/run times, There are rowers who can row 5k in under 15mins but would struggle to run 5k in twice that, and vice versa! Height has a big effect - I'd suggest if you are over 6'5" and can row 2k in close to 6mins you could consider a switch!
Who do you thing I am, Matthew Pinscent! Lol
21/02/2013 at 20:37

Lol!

21/02/2013 at 20:45

Red -   That's a long time to be lurgied up, hope the doctor sorts you out.

AA -   Nice quick miles.

Minni -  Don't forget the magic of putting the race number on.

Chick -  Was it an easy decision to switch to the 20k, methinks you don't like 10k's

Another x training session for me this morning, 10 mins WU then 20 mins hard 10 Mins WD, even  though the gym was cold I managed to create a nice pool of sweat. Kept longingly looking at the treadmills, but determined to make sure the calf is 100% before running again.

21/02/2013 at 23:29
I cant wait to give your training run a go Minni next week...so glad that my paces are slower though....just the thought of running at your paces brings me out in a cold sweat!

Hope your calf makes a full recovery soon Barry
Edited: 21/02/2013 at 23:29
21/02/2013 at 23:34
Good luck this weekend Freemers and chick

Freemers you have my sympathy getting up at that time, I really dont think I could manage it...I think I would turn into one miserable person!

Hope you havent fallen ill too AA
22/02/2013 at 04:38
Spoons, what a swim! Great effort there.
Chick, recovery day???! Sounds good, though. I'm looking forward to having those kind of days as my recovery days hopefully by the autumn As for the heat affecting my heart rate, you could be right. I'm squeezing my runs in where I can as I'm ferrying our guests around at the moment. The hangover ruled against getting up at 6am so I had to go out in the afternoon to make sure I was back in time to get ready to go out and start drinking again I'm looking forward to getting back to some sort of routine next week.....
Red, Ant, O4S, AA, it easy and hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.
Sarah, good luck with that early start! I think you're lucky though as races over here often start at that time. Getting up at 4am to eat properly before a half is not fun.....
Minni, nice paces and even nicer massage
KFC, I remember when I rowed at university, the erg goal was always 2k in 8mins. That was horrific enough, 6mins makes me want to puke just thinking about it!!
Barry, great willpower in keeping off the TM.
I had a storming session yesterday. I did 6x800m at 14kph which is 6:53m/m which for me right now is nothing short of a miracle! Last time I did the session 2 weeks ago, I alternated between 13 and 14 so I'm happy with a 50% improvement. I jogged it out to get to 45mins and totalled 8.6km. Funnily enough, the penultimate session felt the worst, the last one was nowhere near as bad. Perhaps I was just getting into my stride The thing which made my day, though, was the chap on the TM next to me. When I finished he said "that was very impressive, are you an athlete?"!!! If I wasn't so sweaty, I could have hugged him! It's the little things
Happy Friday, everyone!
Dubai Dave    pirate
22/02/2013 at 07:16
Morning Folks

Redders: Hope it disappears soon, its taken me 4 weeks to fully shake off the Virus that got me while skiing.

SS/Simon/kfc: 2K in 6 mins on a erg sounds truly vomit inducing as for 5 in 15

ABRa'S 10K Series, Race 2

Up at 0500 to get some toast, not feeling at my best due to way too much cycling of late, so no great expectations but I finished 2nd in my age group in race one and I do have half a eye on the age group series trophy. Drove to the start out at the Marina, not my favourite place to run as its all concrete bricks but it is quite scenic. A 2.5K warm up confirmed that legs were tired but not destroyed, so when asked I hazarded a guess at 43 mins.

Hooter sounded and were off out along the breakwater into the wind, at least is reasonably cool, 1K 4-03, do the U turn at the end of the breakwater and settle in beside the Japanese guy who I run with in every race 2K 4-11, as we run back down the breakwater I see everyone come out and figure that I'm 2nd in my age group though I'm not 100% sure the guy in front of me is 50+.

Through the hotel grounds, lots of twists and turns, 3K 4-12. Through the car park and over the gravel before coming back past the start 4K 4-15. Into the wind out onto the breakwater and and the gap to the 3rd M50 has grown, back into the hotel grounds and 5K 4-13. Realise that I'm very unlikely to catch the guy who I think is the lead M50 so ease back a touch and run for place. 6K 4-20, at 7K 4-11 were back out on the breakwater and I close down &; pass the guy in the Maple leaf shirt, look at him and conclude he's a M45 ... wrong.

8K in the hotel grounds 4-21 I'm cruising home now, 9K 4-15, Mr Maple leaf passes me and I let him go. 10K 4-23 and the last bit of the course which we all agreed was 10.2K 37 seconds. So overall time of 43-06 on a long course.

Turns out Mr Maple leaf was a M50 and he finished 2 seconds in front of me but now I know who he is. Officially I was 3rd M50 but looking at the results the guy who was classified as the M50 winner in 36-01 clearly only did two laps before crossing the finish line ( there is no check on laps) as he ran 58-45 in the previous race. No one gets better by 22 mins in 2 months! Plus if he was that good I would know him! Turns out the guy I originally thought was the lead M50 was 49.. So opportunity to win lost but on the plus side I'm in pole position to win the series with a 2nd and &;a 3rd.
Edited: 22/02/2013 at 07:50
22/02/2013 at 08:43

Great race DD - shame about the M50 cheat though

SS - brilliant 800s and I love the athlete comment! I had a similar thing a few weeks back when I was doing intervals....just finished the last one and a guy on an exercise bike said something like 'I feel ill just watching that'...I think he was talking about my speed and not the way I looked

Spoons. wrote (see)

Freemers - is that the Bury 20?

Yes - called the Tarpley 20 these days but that's the one. 

Minni - plan at the moment is 5 miles 8.20 / 5 miles 8.00 / 5 miles 7.40 / 5 mles 7.20. But it's forecast to be very windy so I may need to back off a bit depending on which direction it's coming from. The main thing will be to get progressive effort even if the pacing is not quite what I want...just getting my excuses in!  That's great pacing for your session...I haven't done that one in a few weeks so might do that as one of my quality sessions next week...I think I will be a bit slower though

22/02/2013 at 11:02
DD - Great race, and now you know who the real m50 competitors are

SS - I use that chat up line all the time down the gym, did you get his nbr?
22/02/2013 at 11:27

Sarah - you could manage those paces no bother.

Barry - well done for resisting the TM.  Keep up the x training. 

DD - maybe the 22 min guy is on the F*rn@n schedule!  Well run - will you get to finish the series before you come back?

SS - you should have said, 'Yes, I AM'!!

First marathon dream for me last night, not VLM but the Castles marathon in October!  I dreamt that the pre marathon party (aka pasta party) was at the castle but when I arrived it turned out to be a Victorian banquet - I actually think I did go back in time.  Everyone in traditional dress, copious amounts of food, jugs of ale and everyone very pissed. Folks were grabbing food with their hands and ramming it into their mouths. I was totally freaked out and kept asking if anyone was doing the the marathon the next day and they all looked at me as if I were from another planet.  I was desperately looking for Freemers to confirm I wasn't going mad but there was no sign of her.  Game pie was being thrust into my face and I was spiralling into blind panic when I finally woke up!    I think I've been reading too much about carbo loading!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.