RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,761 to 26,780 of 37,355 messages
23/02/2013 at 17:33

Just got back O4S. 45 minutes at 10 min miling. All good

time to get back on the beer.....

23/02/2013 at 20:19
Oompa - I hope you found somewhere better than the gutter ala Paula.

Some great long runs, AA, O4S.

Spoons - Enjoy the beers.

Still not running, but I had a good excuse today as B'day. So sister and boyfriend came up from Leicester and we went to Jamie Oliver's in Liverpool for lunch. Great food and atmosphere, and not too many beers drunk.
X-training tomorrow, good luck to all the racers
23/02/2013 at 20:32
Gazelle and freemers good luck for tomorrow.

AA good 21 miler....so tempting to run in doors when the weather is like it has been today so well done for getting out there.

Oompa dont give up on the fraijitas just yet, ive safely had them the night before a run and a race.

Glad to hear your on the come back O4S and spoons.

Happy Birthday Simon, I hope that you enjoy the rest of your day. I went to jamie olivers in york two weeks ago and the atmosphere there was fabulous too. Food was nothing exciting but tasted good, and is probably safe before a run.

I did the Belvoir Challenge today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Most of it was off road through muddy fields and trail paths although there was a couple of small sections on road through little villages. I decided not to race it after the HM last week but pushed it more than I would a training run. My average pace was 8:51 min/mls for 14.6 miles which im delighted with as in parts I was ankle deep in mud and there were endless styles to climb over.
23/02/2013 at 20:46
Sarah - Well done on the Belvoir race, and just a week after your HM. You and Your mentor must be pleased with your progress.
23/02/2013 at 20:53
Simon - Happy birthday!! (((X)))

O4S - storming run today. You're certainly feeling better.

Spoons - glad you fitted your recovery run around your drinking intervals.

Sarah - you are a mean lean running machine!
23/02/2013 at 20:58

Nice one Sarah. I love Belvoir. Do the marathon next year. 15 mile option is for wimps. 

Happy Birthday Simon

23/02/2013 at 21:23
Great off road race Sarah, well done!

Happy Birthday Simon, sounds like you had a yummy meal out
24/02/2013 at 00:30
Good long runs O4S, and AA..(didn't you just do a 20?).

Great race Sarah.

Happy birthday Simon.

Good luck Gazelle. Sub 42?
24/02/2013 at 05:42

DD, awesome racing, sir!  What a muppet 'short racer'/cheat though.  Oh well, you're in a great position overall so bring on the overall win   I am definitely coming to the Milers tomorrow night so I'll PM you later.

Simon, I'm so rubbish I would never have seen that as a chat up line   And poor OH might have been a tad upset if I'd got his number 

Minni, good dreaming action there!  The Pistorius situation has really got my back up too.  Now, I know absolutely nothing about the SA legal system, but I've done a fair few bail applications in the UK in my time.  If the prosecution had essentially put their evidential case at that point, I would have been storing it all up as a ground to either get the case thrown out or to appeal any subsequent conviction on the basis that a fair trial would be impossible.  I make no comment on the merits of the case, but let's just say I spy another OJ Simpson debacle coming on.....

Spoons, I shared your pain this weekend and was in the hurt locker too .  Well done for getting out.  I hope you're feeling better.

Freemers, wow check you out!!!  Speedy work.  Sounds like a really tough session but you totally nailed it 

Oompa, I'm still not revising my time!  I'm too much of a chicken given how tough I'm finding my long runs now.  Sounds like you've had a good solid week, nice running   And well done for, er, managing the fajita situation...

FRC, good to see you're still a speedy cat!!

Chick, great intervals in the cold.  Brr!!!

Sarah, that sounds like you had fun in the mud!  I live in Dubai.  I have a lot to live up to given DD's amazing results!  

Barry, great x-training session.  Hang on in there!

Free/Carrot/Gazelle, happy racing 

AA, nice long run.  How was the footie?

Kiwi, happy spinning!  After a good year of doing it, I'm a confirmed spin addict.  I've cut myself down to 2 sessions a week now as it's too tough to fit in with full on marathon training, but I love it!

O4S, nice miles and nice compliments, albeit losing a little in their delivery

Simon, happy birthday!!  Sounds like you celebrated in style. 

24/02/2013 at 05:47

Total disaster of a weekend for me.  I did a really good spin class on Friday morning, and then went to a brunch.......................  Let's just say that my 45 min planned recovery run didn't happen yesterday as it was all I could do not to   The only element of 'recovery' that happened was managing to eat something by about 3pm.  Oh well, 17 miles planned for later.  Back on the straight and narrow 

24/02/2013 at 10:10
Morning all.
Back in a very warm UK
Just back from my LSR. Did a bit extra as little running last week. 24.1 miles averaging 8.07 making a mean total of 40 for the week and just nudging over 200 for the month.
Looking forward to finding time to catch up on everyone's efforts over the last few days. Good racing and running today all
Oh yes Happy Birthday Simon. Got o make the most of these events!
Dubai Dave    pirate
24/02/2013 at 11:45

Hey Folks

SS: The perils of a Dubai Brunch, I also went to one on Friday but got off lightly.

The mystery of the speedy M50 has been solved, he gave his number to a 28 year old. I have now been promoted to 2nd which makes me even more peed off that I didn't realise Mr Mapleleaf was a M50.

Cycled for 90 mins this morning, was going to do 100K but it was so windy out on the cycle track that I bailed after eating sand for the 1st hour, I went out into the wind at an average of 16.7KPH and returned at an average of 51.1KPH.

Swim set of 2K also done, I enjoyed swimming today

24/02/2013 at 12:44

excellent stuff, DD!

2old & AA: great long rungs banked

Oompa: oops! Where are bushes when you need them ?? 

Sarah: great running, you are flying!

Happy Birthday Simon 

Hope Gazelle is having a good race.

Did my 17 miles today trying for 12 @ MP but the race course was a slippery/slidey mess. Completely awful. Some new snow came down overnight but the temps are now around 1.5 degrees plus and a few hundred runner's feet turned the whole course into an ice rink. Wish I'd had my Yaktrax with me . Managed average 8:11 (which is shit) including falling over twice but didn't hurt myself - it was more a controlled fall .  I ran the 2nd 10k chatting with a French girl. It was great to have some company. Not obsessing too much about not hitting MP today - with THAT kind of running surface it just wasn't happening.

69 miles for the week. 7 days of running. 8 runs banked. Doing ok

24/02/2013 at 13:35
I'll report properly tomorrow but basically that was sh*te - 2.40.27....felt terrible and was sick at mile 14. Horrid run. Going home to lie down Just hope next week's one is better.
24/02/2013 at 15:06

Oh no Freemers.  Hope you feel better soon. ((()))  The 2:40 run is pretty good though so I wouldn't be worrying about that.

Like you say Chick, not the day for 12 @ MP.  Again though still a really good effort.

Duration run for me today.  I was determined to try at stick to 9 m/m because I've had a high mileage week and because that's what it said on the tin.  Got dropped off and ran the Castles marathon route (missing a couple of loops out) and picked up at the end.  Both Freemers and I are doing it in September.  The snow came on and the first 5 miles were grim.  You couldn't look up and I was running straight into it. I looked down and I was just white!  Luckily it passed and the following couple of hours were more pleasant.  3:15 - 22m - avg 8:50 with the last two miles the fastest. And my highest week ever: 77.5 miles!

Freemers - I have some concerns over the marathon route and going to drop them an email.  The roads for the first 16-18 miles are quite busy and very twisty.  I can't see that they will be closing them and I'm wondering how they are going to police it.  There are some stretches where there are walls or hedges at each side of the road and practically no verge.  The cars were coming around the corners quite fast and we had to stop and stand right in the side.    I think I'll be looking for some assurances that they have taken this in account.   

24/02/2013 at 17:53

Well done everyone still getting those LSRs in this weekend with the return of the white stuff

Freemers - hope you're feeling better, sorry to hear you were sick

Happy Birthday for yesterday Simon

Sarah - well done surviving Belvoir, great to hear you enjoyed it

Chick - 8:11 isn't shit at all in ice and snow.

Hope Gazelle got on well today?

I survived the Nationals yesterday!  This was my first XC race.  I didn't realise when I entered it that it was the Nationals, I just thought it was a little low-key cross country race at Sunderland.  Fool.  There was a little group of us from the club, including a team of four ladies.  We decided to pair up and run in twos - power in numbers!  It had snowed overnight so the ground everywhere was saturated and freezing cold.  I did around 400m warm up and my feet were soaking wet and freezing to start off.  Lovely.  The start was really wide, wide enough for everyone to start at the front!  Parsnip said it reminded him of a scene from Braveheart with everyone charging forward in a long row.  I never planned to race it - I didn't want to blow up half way round - so my clubmate and I took it steady and picked our way through the muddy, boggy two-lap course.  People who'd run the course before a few years ago mentioned that there were a few hills - I actually preferred the running uphill and used the opportunity to overtake a few runners.  Easier to climb in mud than it is to descend!  It did get gradually harder as my legs tired from running through the mud.  But as I ran around the course I realised I had a big smile on my face - I actually enjoyed it!

Completed the 8K in 43:06, 262/427.  Placed much higher than I expected to.  I was never going to break any records, I'm just pleased I finished it as it's the first time I've tried a cross country.  It was fun trying to get changed afterward, caked in mud and freezing cold.  We then waited for the men to come in from running their 12K - all coming in looking like they'd done battle! 

Back to reality today with an 18 mile LSR

24/02/2013 at 18:01

Well done Carrot and everyone getting the long runs in.

hope you feel better Freemers

I did 1.5 hours in the gym. No hangover today

24/02/2013 at 19:29
Great 20s banked for 2old & freemers. Still a good time Freemers even if a struggle.. I'd much rather get a tough one now rather than on the real race day.

Carrot. It was me who said about the Nationals when you mentioned it as first one. Friend described it like the great migration of wildebeest.. people climbing over each other also didn't sound like fun especially with spikes on most feet. Great XC. I wimped out, preferred to get long run in.

No Gazelle ?

Good 20 for me done @ 8.25 pace and very little fuel, 3 blok cubes, a handful of fruit and just over a litre of water.

Tomorrow morn got a free PT session I won with uber gym coach who I have ribbed a bit in the past. He does 10-15 miles a week to run sub 3:15.. But blew up at Comrades on same mileage doing 9h40. Hmmm. I predicted his last 10k time to within 1 second at Xmas.

So suspect it could be brutal ! Bring it on
24/02/2013 at 19:34

Brilliant time Carrot!  Well done!  Are you club doing the NEHL?

24/02/2013 at 19:41

er hang on Freemers.  I've just had a look at the race sheet and you'd put 2:45 down as your target today.  So, 5  minutes under that and you are ill!  Don't be hard on yourself.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.