RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,801 to 26,820 of 37,112 messages
25/02/2013 at 12:15

Weeble- Whats the 5:2 diet?? I'm going to stop eating too much naughty food and will stop baking the kids cakes and other puddings. I never used to eat puddings after every meal.

Kfc- Well done on your 15miler, do you think cross training on the bike has helped?

SS- Wow check you out ramping your long runs up that's great news new the Calf.

Redwood- Happy Belated Birthday and what weekend of running must give you a great confidence boost.

Free- Great report and glad you have taken a lot of positives from the race,you did great by completing it all and not giving up

Barry- Lets hope all the x training has paid off.

AA- You have had a great series of racing and great training runs maybe your body just wants a rest, I know its probably not what you want.

I went out Saturday night to the theatre(planned way before I knew I was racing the next day!) so I drove and drank water. I was singing/howling to the songs and came home with a sore throat. Yesterday morning it was fine but last night and today it feels like a razor is cutting it, I hope it goes away quickly. I have a club run tonight will it be ok to run? Is the saying that it is ok to run as long as the symptoms are above the chest? or am I talking nonsense?

25/02/2013 at 12:30
AA. wrote (see)

Spoons - are you talking foreign! I don't even plug my garmin into a computer. Don't do anything with the data!

What? How do you keep all your stats going back years and years? Not with a pen and paper?

Freemers - sounds tough. Well done for getting it done and not a bad time at all.

25/02/2013 at 13:25

Hello everyone

Back in one piece from Bristol and managed to survive without a major hangover yesterday.

((Free))- sounds like a tough one. Hope you're feeling better today. Onwards and upwards, it was just a training run after all and you've got another one coming up to get the pacing right and as the others said it's still a very respectable time.

Chick- nice consistent tempo from you on Friday. Would't worry about that MP run, as you say no point pushing when the conditions are not on right.  You will nail it next time.

AA- another 21 miler in the bag, well done.

Simon- happy belated birthday!

Sarah- well done on the Belvoir race, sounds likeyou enjoyed the mud!

2Old - welcome back.

Minni- 77.5m- check you out!!! Very impressive indeed.

Carrot- very well done on your first xc, they're never easy, Nationals or not!

Gazelle- very good 10k from you especially if you haven't been concentrating on speedwork recently. Not far off the pb.

25/02/2013 at 13:35

My progressive 21m LSR on Friday night started awful, I obviously tried to pack too much into the week with no rest days and doing too much on recovery runs. It took me good 4 miles to get going but after that it actually started going rather well. I did 7m easy/ 6m steady just under 8mm/ 6m @ MP and 2m cd. MP started off around 7:45 and by the end dropped to 7:20-7:30mm. Considering how tired my legs felt to start with I was very happy with that.

Saturday was supposed to be 6m easy before leaving for Bristol so did it first thing in the morning and expected the legs to grumble but actually felt fine... I honestly don't understand how it works sometimes.

8m easy planned for later today.

25/02/2013 at 13:35

SS- forgot to say... Great weekend of drinking and running from you and excellent news on the calf front. So so happy for you!

25/02/2013 at 13:56
Brol - I know what you mean. I expected to he knackered after my duration run yesterday but felt fine. Probably helped by the fact I kept it slower than normal.
25/02/2013 at 14:00

I realised the end of my last post got missed....I was going to say thanks to everyone for the support as always - it helps a lot.  And another positive from the race was that I seem somehow to have bagged 2nd F40...don't know if there's any bling involved as I didn't stick around for the prize giving but maybe they will send something through the post

Brolish - that's a really good progressive LSR.  And you're right, sometimes you think you'll have a bad run and it all turns out well. I've just returned from 6.5 miles and it felt great - I thought it would be a real struggle after yesterday but it wasn't

25/02/2013 at 14:06
Well done on the bling and today's run Freemers. Glad to see you're feeling chirpier (not sure if that's a word). If you check the sub 3:15 thread I've given Poacher a low down on the Castles route and my concern over the traffic.
25/02/2013 at 14:41
Bro -great running and result with no hangover!

Freemers - congrats on placing and glad you're feeling better.

I forgot to congratulate Minni with her mega impressive mileage.

Spoons - yes I'm a paper and pen girl
25/02/2013 at 15:06
((( Freemers))). Well battled though and 20 miles banked plus 2nd W40, not to be sniffed at.
Minni: awesome mileage! Guess you just beat Bro there . The course sounds mighty scary if they don't close it. Disaster bound to happen! Hope the organisers can figure something out.

Carrot: really well done at the Nationals. Sounds tough.

Kiwi: love the sound of energiser barbie

Well done, Gazelle! I'd love that 10k time. A buff is a great thing to find in your goodie bag!

Great running, kfc!

SS: great long run! I hate it when technology conspires against you . Just had to sent my HRM back to Garmin. It went bonkers a few weeks ago. Every 2nd or 3rd run it'll go haywire a few miles into the run. That sucks.

Redders: Blimey! shouldn't you have started with some easy running to settle back into a routine before attempting any tempo and HM stuff?

Gazelle: I would heed the sore throat as a warning sign. I had a similar thing about 2 weeks ago and missed my Sunday long run because of it. Took the Monday off too whilst taking every legal immune-boosting substance on the planet and was right as rain by Tuesday. I find a sore throat is an early warning sign that your immune system is down and the body is fighting with something. I used to think - nevermind, I go for a run anyway to sweat it out, but each time I did, I got really ill and missed a week's running.

Bro: brilliant running

Just checked my race results and surprisingly I came 1st W45 (although I'm only turning 45 in May ), 2nd lady overall  . No bling involved in that race - but not grumbling. The entry fee is dirt cheap .
25/02/2013 at 15:30

Chick-great age group win there, mut be good to see all your hard work rewarded

Free-really well done with your podium position-hope bling arrives in the post.Now you must be wondering why you beat yourself up over the race

Barry-looking positive-hope the TM session goes well-we need you back with us

AA-not suprised you had a wobble-according to your high standards- after all those quality performances in the last few weeks

Bro-that was a very impressive progressive LR, not much 'S' involved

Gaz-be careful losing weight when you are peaking with your training..you need to feed all that effort. I weighed myself today and am the same as before I went skiing-how does that work when I drank and ate lots and ran little?

Weeble-that 5:2 book was flying out of Waterstones yestrday-I think its a bit like the Atkins diet but you also dont eat for two days-Im probably all wrong

KFC-good to see you getting Jantastic sorted with a nice LR and some tough MTB in there too.

SS- nearly 18! Great LR. I find that if things arent right when Im running my rhythm can be upset and I get put off.Hope the garmin present arrives early

Red-good couple or runs there-Patience is rewarding you

Spoons-hope you arent asking me that techy question-Im still on the abacus and slide rule

A horrible 9 mile RR done today and a 4 hour drive tonight..

25/02/2013 at 16:23

Chick- woohoo, congrats on the podium!

Red- I was going to say... very speedy come back!

Weeble- not sure about the 5:2 diet. I'm sure it works (reducing calories will always work) but I just can't imagine fasting for two days.  I think I'd rather reduce my overall intake and run more... Or just run more!

25/02/2013 at 16:26

I couldn't ever not eat for 2 days, 2old

Having said that, I am nearly at my all time low "I-never-thought-I'd-see-this-weight-again" of 54,8 kg -- just a pound to lose . The last couple of pounds just disappeared without me trying. Must be the booze that I cut out

25/02/2013 at 17:50
Well it's a sad day today as 'the Turbaned Torpedo' has finally retired from marathon running...... Just before his 102nd b'day. Mind you he only ran his first at 89!
I wonder what his wava score is, he might give O4S a run for her money.
Dubai Dave    pirate
25/02/2013 at 18:13

Hi Folks

Chic: We like podiums, great stuff

Free: See above

SS: PM me I know the local Garmin lady who is cheaper than the shops

Reds: Speedy return   Ant: racing again this weekend, Abu Dhabi Tri, then a week off before another Oly Tri, then a 10K, then the weekend after that a 10K and a sprint Tri on consecutive days, not sure after that. I'm used to it!   Today was another windy 90K on the bike and a brisk 12K with the club tonight.
25/02/2013 at 18:33
Chick - well done on podium. I've just spent my ??60 mizuno vouchers I won at Wokingham

I couldn't give up wine for weight loss! In fact... I'm even having a glass tonight. On A Monday
25/02/2013 at 18:49

Spoons. wrote (see)

Nice one Sarah. I love Belvoir. Do the marathon next year. 15 mile option is for wimps. 

Happy Birthday Simon

...im actually tempted (if im not doing an april marathon next year that is)

Thanks simon, Kiwi, FRC and everyone else for the congrats for saturday. I did really enjoy myself. The miles just seemed to disappear. Despite not racing it I was the 11th lady and quite close to a few infront so im quite happy with that.

Congrats Minni, Carrot, FRC, 2Old, SS, Bro, freemers and anyone else who I may have missed on some fabulous long runs, especially Freemers for coming 2nd F40.

AA hope your calf and hamstring makes a quick recovery.

Freemers you did fantastic in your race. I have only been sick once in a race and afterwards my legs felt like lead. You did amazing to continue and finish in a fabulous time.

SS im so envious...its been freezing here

Tonight, my speed training prescribed by minni; 2-3 m w/u, 45 mins alternating between 5 mins @MP and then 5 mins @ HMP, followed by a 1 m c/d...wish me luck...if you dont here from me...im destroyed!

25/02/2013 at 20:44

Well done to Chick and Freemers on the podiums regardless of whether you get any bling for it or not .

I'm struggling with my weight as well. Normally it's pretty stable and if I make a real effort I can temporarily lose a bit. However I've not managed to shake off my excess Christmas weight, in fact worse still I've gained a bit.  Plan to continue just making a few more small changes until it eventually starts working. Also need to keep it a 9a diet since as soon as my OH gets an inkling I'm trying to lose weight I'm sure he gives me more food.

25/02/2013 at 21:38

Minni there's a few from the club doing the remainder of the harrier league races, I'm not but might have a go at a few when they start again later this year - post Autumn marathon!  Nice mileage last week

Gazelle, Weeble and anyone else wanting to lose a few pounds - I really recommend that My Fitness Pal app I mentioned a while back.  My friend at work said it really opens your eyes how much you're actually eating... I had put a few pounds on in the lead up to Christmas and of course over Christmas so just downloaded it and log everything.  Those pesky pounds have miraculously disappeared without me even trying!  It just means I'm less likely to have a biscuit at work or a pie at the football as I know I'll have to log it.

Great work getting the running miles in kfc while still getting the bike miles in!

Sounds like you've had a great run yesterday Red, nothing like a killer race to make sure your injury woes are behind you!

Ant - the first lady on Saturday ran sub-30 for the 8K.  Not sure if she was sporting knickers or not, she'll have been back in her club tent changed into warm dry clothes by the time I bimbled across the finish!  Some very hardcore looking runners at these events though.  Good news that the cold has almost gone.

Freemers it must have been tough going for everyone if nobody overtook you, you've still had a decent training run that you'd have been happy with any other day (maybe without the being sick part!)  Congrats on the placing

AA you've done some seriously hard running lately with the 1:30 HM followed by a speedy 20 mile race, maybe you just need a step back week.  You won't lose any speed but you probably just need to recover a bit.  There's still five weeks before a three week taper, you can afford an easy week.  I'm sick of the crappy weather too, it seems like this winter has gone on for about six months!

Great running from you at the weekend Bro, that's a strong 21M in the bag!  I was thinking of you on Saturday and why you must enjoy XC so much

Hope the speedwork went well tonight Sarah, those sessions are tough.

Went for a deep tissue massage today, you don't realise how many knots and tight bits you have until you get them all worked on   Prevention rather than the cure and all that.

25/02/2013 at 21:41

X-post with Becs - try the app! Your OH will never know as you're not on a diet as such, just counting the in-vs-out with military prescision. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.