RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,821 to 26,840 of 37,465 messages
25/02/2013 at 21:46

Freemers were you planning to full on race your 20 miler? If your A goal is still VLM it does sound like a solid session in the bank. Think how much easier it will be with fancy plastic bottles and no February cold freezing your fingers?

Carrot I don't think I want my eyes opened to how much I'm actually eating - that's probably the problem.

The attraction of the 5:2 diet is that you eat normally (but healthily) for five days and then massively restrict calories for the remaining two each week (not consequently and not full on fasting, women are allowed 500 calories a day). I'd find it really depressing to calorie count every day but I don't mind the idea of having two days a week where I make all the sacrifices. I think exercise is great for allowing me to eat what I like when I'm at stable weight, but I don't think it's that effective alone at shifting poundage. I have vowed to switch from pints to halfs. And the fact that I think this is a healthy lifestyle is again probably part of the problem!

I tempo'd tonight. Only for a mile, and on the treadmill, but it made me happy. 

Dead impressed by your mileage Minni. Has Moraghan given you any tips to do this any stay injury free (e.g. upping calories/sleep) or do you feel you've built up to it very stabily and should be safe?

Nice podiuming Chick!

Did your sports masseuse find any lingering signs of your injury Carrot, or are you fully mended?

25/02/2013 at 21:54

Chick / Freemers - great about the podium

I ran 50 minutes tonight

25/02/2013 at 22:02

500 calories Weeble!   That's breakfast!  The quad was still a bit sore but then again both of them were after the weekend.  He also worked on my right hamstring at the top / just below my glute as it gets sore every so often if I've been sat for too long at work, or when I'm driving.  More foam roller moves to look forward to but the good news is I'm not doomed! 

25/02/2013 at 22:11

6 miles at 8mm tonight at the club.  Have suddenly found myself at racing weight, about the same as when I get back from a cycle touring holiday and I have no idea why, although no complaints from me.

Nice running one and all.

Don't envy you that one Weeble - I have used up 500 calories by the time I have cycled or run to work!!

25/02/2013 at 22:19

Great to see the girls doing the thread proud.   Well done Freemers and Chick.

Weeble - my colleague is doing that diet too.  I sit opposite her and feel a bit bad on her fast days because I munch away all day.

I'm just home from work.    That's what you get for having a week off.

But, I did fit in sneaky run late afternoon.  I work about 800m from the Sea and today went on a path I hadn't been on before.  Over the cliff tops heading North.  Anyone who has travelled on the train North of Berwick will know the stretch.  Its absolutely beautiful. 

The track was thin and I only had my road shoes on - trail shoes or even fell shoes the next time for sure.  There were points where the path went right to the edge and it was a sheer drop down to the wild sea below, thrashing around the rocks.  I felt quite nervous in places but it was also thrilling.  I saw beautiful caves and hidden beaches on coves that no person could reach. I should really have taken it easy but couldn't help pushing on - it was so exciting!

Finished this off with a round of the town walls.  6.75 miles just over 8 m/m.

25/02/2013 at 22:21

Sounds fab Minni

25/02/2013 at 22:26

It was Spoons. I think the wind made it even more wild.  I could have gone on and on.   Next time I'll take my phone and get some photos.

25/02/2013 at 23:21
...im alive, managed to survive the speed session and enjoy it, thanks Minni.

Sorry Chick I missed your comment about you being second lady overall and first W45, congratulations.

Im envious of your run Minni, knowing the Berwick landscape quite well due to frequent holidays up there I know what im missing out on.
Dubai Dave    pirate
26/02/2013 at 03:00
North of Berwick...... Isn't that Scotland?
26/02/2013 at 06:00

Red, yay!!  Glad to hear you're feeling better.  Blimey, 7:45 for a first tempo effort...  Great running 

Spoons, no idea about synching a Garmin to an ipad.  I'm thinking of synching mine to a rock and throwing it off the balcony......

Free, you did really well in tough conditions and brilliant placing   I don't think I'd take being sick in a race so lightly!  I've done something similar with a gel, although only in training and no one saw 

Free/Barry, the reason I don't usually lock my bezel is I like to scroll between screens whilst I'm on the go and in the past when I've locked it, I've managed to either stop the timer when locking/unlocking it.  I didn't know you could reduce the sensitivity of it so I will give that a go.  I will also try wearing a wristband under it to absorb the sweat.  I didn't need it to permanently display a compass as a piece of data it deemed useful to my run, rubbish piece of kit 

AA, sending you some warmth   Hope the hammy and calf settle.

Gazelle, take care with your cold.  Has it cleared yet?

Brolish, nice hangover avoidance   Hope you had a great weekend.  My weekend was definitely one of two very different halves...  Wagon now   That sounds like a really well-recovered progressive 21, nice effort!!

Chick, brilliant placing, well done   And nice effortless weight loss.  I'm kinda hoping killing the booze will magically lose me a couple of kgs....

2old, well done on the non-weight gain!  Re things going wrong on a run, that's exactly how I felt.  OH was killing himself laughing because I came home in such a massive grump about it, but I really do hate it when something which is there to help you becomes a total hinderance.  Oh well, I cheered up when I downloaded my stats   Well done on getting the 9 miles d&d.

DD, if you can help me source a Garmin, that would be ace.  I'll PM you.

Carrot, I will look into that app as it sounds like it might help.  I just got really lax as I was sick + Christmas + no training = bleurgh!!!

Weeble/Spoons yay!!!  Small steps and all that...  Not sure I could make it through a day on 500 calories, though 

Minni, sounds like a breathtaking run!!

26/02/2013 at 06:01
Minni - sounds like a great run.

Carrot - I use the livestrong app when I want to lose a few pounds. Sounds the same thing. And you can put your exercise in and buy calories back! I'm probably at my lightest since I was at school right now think the extra mileage has helped.
I know I need a drop down week but I'm planning on that for next week as off to San Francisco for a few days to visit my sister. So I'm hoping my body can last another week. Btw excellent muddy pics of you and parsnip on fb!
26/02/2013 at 06:03

Rest day for me yesterday.  Today, I'm going to try for a 10k@8m/m tempo run.  I'm feeling very tired today, I haven't slept very well for the last two nights and I don't think I managed to eat enough yesterday after Sunday's long run.  Hopefully I will feel better when I get my trainers on..... 

26/02/2013 at 06:19

Yes DD although I'm not sure I made it as far as the border.  Maybe.

They are cracking pics Carrot.  Parsnip looks like Stig of the Dump.

Hang on AA.

Loving the falling on and off the wagon SS.  I'm pleased to report I am virtually teetotal at the moment.

Dubai Dave    pirate
26/02/2013 at 08:00

Minni: You know when your in Scotland by all the little Haggis running around.

AA: If your that tired take a break

Another 45 miles churned out on the bike, will swim this afternoon. Bike was hard work today.

26/02/2013 at 08:45

Minni - very jealous of that run, I absolutely love that stretch of the coast. That's one journey on the train that is almost as good as getting to the destination.

SS - I can't remember who said it, but definitely echo the comments of locking the bezel. I set mine to go through 3 screens and never touch it whilst on the go. Have had a few issues with the first mile being way out since I've had a new one, but other than that it works fine. Good luck with your tempo!

AA - a trip to San Francisco sounds like a fantastic way to reward yourself for being in the shape of your life, enjoy.

I was planning on doing a gentle 8M this morning, but having only managed 3 hours sleep (little one went beserk all night), I just couldn't face it. So did 5M with a 3M tempo in the middle but my heart wasn't really in it. Need a few easy runs for the rest of the week now but definitely feel like it's slowly coming back.

I'm off to a work quiz tonight. The last time that happened I woke up in a different county, so fingers crossed I stay awake on the train tonight. Not looking likely though...

26/02/2013 at 09:29

Minni- sounds like an epic run yesterday. Very jealous, no caves to explore in London and no crashing waves... 

Sarah- well done on completing that session, sounds tough. I must try it sometime.

I tried the my fitness pal app and I agree that it's great to make you more aware of what you put into your system. I think we all tend to underestimate how much we consume so it's good to have to log it. Makes you think twice about having that extra buiscuit as Carrot said. I'm just not 100% sure about how they calculate your daily allowance.  According to the app I need around 1300 calories per day to maintain my weight. That's not a lot... I have always been under the impression that an average woman needs around 2000. When I used the 'running for fitness' calculator it told me I needed 1800 with no exercise and assuming I run on average 60 m/week I would need 2700 calories just to maintain my weight! So quite a discrepancy there. Maybe something to ask Ruth...

15m D&D this morning with 8 @ MP (7:46, 7.34, 7:37, 7:25, 7:35, 7:28, 7:27, 7:16).

I definitely feel like my paces have gone up in the last couple of weeks. I could never run MP @ below 7:40 during the last campaign. Hopefully it means that a tasty 10k pb is on the cards this Sunday. No pressure!

26/02/2013 at 10:00

Spoons – nice swimming!

Red – hope you’ve binned the illness and the recovery train is rolling, nice racing.

Kiwi – deferring is rubbish.  Its made me so determined his year to make it to the start line.

Simon – Pinsent is not a bad example – 2k erg in 5.42, marathon in 4.08…   You can beat one of those!  This old british erg champs pinsent/cracknell video is worth a watch – for the german soundtrack alone.  I was racing in the group right after these guys, I remember trying to warm up and being mightily distracted by the major smackdown going on! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4OflmzVdOI

SS – great athlete-tastic 800’s – the great thing about a comeback is that you keep improving!  Great you are up to 18M.

DD – nice 10k, but can’t believe you let someone finish 2s in front of you – that’s got to be worth a sprint finish!  Wind tastic bike ride…

Freemers – super fast intervals – and great mile after all those 800s!  A 20 in 2.40 ain’t bad, especially when not feeling tip top.  And some bling!

AA/O4S/Carrot/2old/Brol – nice long runs over the weekend – mega one from 2old!

Sarah – nice race – did you place?

Chick – super high mileage!  Shame the conditions made it hard to hit MP, but still worthwhile training banked.  And a win!

Minni – crazy dream!  Super super high mileage week and a great long run.  Love that part of the coastline – I always make sure I get an east facing seat on that journey.  May be biking that route in a few weeks time.

Carrot – sounds like the XC was a lot of fun

FRC – hope the gym session was fun!

Gazelle – nice 10k

Ant – hope you enjoyed the MTB cross training.  I’ve the same worries re crashing – luckily just came away with the usual bruises on knees and elbows. 

Barry – glad the calf rehab is going OK             

Simon – I’ve run a 10k that Mr Singh has also done – he was surrounded by a entourage of 40 other runners having a carnival around him – great fun.

26/02/2013 at 10:04

Gazelle –  I’ve not got the running base to do high running mileage, so I’m a big believer in any kind of cross training that raises the HR for a bit for a long time.  I love doing days out on the MTB or road bike with friends at a slow and steady pace – its fun and its great aerobic base training.  The best example I have is from a few years back – I did 2 Olympic distance tris before going on a bike tour, and did another Olympic tri after I came back.  My time for the last one was 10mins faster than the ones before the bike tour – mainly taken off the run, and  I reckon it was all down to having a better aerobic base.

Legs were very tired yesterday so just did 3M easy, hot bath and lots of stretching.  After my big bike/run day on Saturday I feel like I do after a long race - glycogen levels well depleted and hungry all the time.  No running today, just cycling alongside rowing boats - hopefully should wake up the legs a bit.

26/02/2013 at 10:29

SS  -  You are nearly as bad as AA with your Garmin, there is an auto scroll function in the settings.

Brol  -   very good running.

Chick -  Congrats on the win.

Bad news from me, tried a run this morning on grass.  Felt the calf almost straightaway but carried on and it got worse,  decided to stop after 2 miles as the pain was not going to ease, looks like the eliptical trainer is going to be my new best friend for a while.

26/02/2013 at 10:39

wow Minni, your run sounds fantastic. I love wind, water and wild landscapes. Being a true Northerner (albeit a German one)

Bro: great running. 7:16 wasn't exactly MP though, was it (wags finger)

AA: echo what DD said - you've banked a number of seriously hard runs and a lot of miles too. Time for a break?

Gazelle: feeling any better today?

SS: you too did a lot of hard training lately, so no wonder the legs are grumbling a bit.

500 calories a day   No way, I'd be a skeleton if I tried that and I wouldn't be able to run at all. FFS, I took up running so I could eat more .

Rest day yesterday (needed it) followed by 11.5 easy aerobic running this morning.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.