RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,961 to 26,980 of 36,974 messages
28/02/2013 at 05:27
DD, nice hill session. Take that Brownlee down
AA, brilliantly useful bling! Have you christened it yet?
O4S, your sessions always inspire me! You've not had the best few days so the fact you even went out to attempt the session is great.
Oompa, remind me never to cross you
Simon, yes, it's the same app. Carrot's got us into it Nice cycling.
I forgot to mention yesterday that wearing a sweat band under my Garmin solved the schizo problem. It also made wearing the watch much more comfortable. Guess it gets a reprieve from the sledgehammer for the time being..... I've got some sort of speed session to do today, but I've not worked out what I'm going to do yet. I'm thinking mile repeats, but I may seek some inspiration from P&D, now the cat's stopped snoozing on it. Not really feeling that enthused tbh, but I'm sure I'll be fine once I wake up properly.
28/02/2013 at 06:50
Minni - what??? How can they take our money and publish a route map if it's not finalised? I'm going to email them as well and try and get some answers.

DD - there's and interview with the Brownlees in the Times today. Here's a quote from Alistair: "I'm a bit worried about the bike leg as it's 100km rather than my usual 40. Plus I've heard there are some serious athletes like Dubai Dave who are used to the roads and weather conditions in Abu Dhabi so I think I'll have my work cut out."

I did my tempo session after work yesterday - decided to do "the killer" - 5 mins MP / 5 mins HMP and repeat for 45 mins. Was doing 7.30 pace for MP and 6.57 pace for HMP on the TM and all felt pretty good. Today will be a few easy recovery miles.
28/02/2013 at 07:01
That is one good session nailed Freemers! Good idea re email to ask them if that is the route and what the plan on traffic control is. That's what I queried but haven't heard back.
28/02/2013 at 08:11
2old - Yes Ithik the two help each other.

DD - God luck on the takedown.

Freemers - Great sess on the TM.

I'm off up to the lakes today with my mate, Helm's crag, so I'll watch out for some Orks!
28/02/2013 at 08:16
Freemers, that's hysterical

My first session failure (unless you count being too hungover for a recovery run last week). I aimed to do the same session as a couple of weeks ago, 4xmile repeats at 7:25 m/m. I managed two, started the third and thought this really isn't happening so I walked for 5 mins and then decided to call it quits. I have done the sensible thing and listened to my body, I do get the difference between pushing really hard and knowing when pushing is the wrong thing to do, but now I feel really down. I also get the fact that this has been my hardest week so far and only my 4th week of speed training, my biggest mileage week and also I've done really well with a 48 min 10k followed by 12 m yesterday. Clearly, my body needs a rest. Either that or it's just missing its red wine and cider fuelling All joking about the app aside, I've done nothing differently with my nutrition except cut out the crap so I'm confident I'm eating sensibly, I guess I'm just tired. I hate being tired grrrrrrrr!!! I also hate failing so while part of me knows I should just chill and accept you can't win 'em all, the other part of me is wondering whether I should go back and finish the session in a couple of hours' time......
28/02/2013 at 09:23

SSheep- souns like you're doing lots. 48m 10k followed by 12m followed by another speed session?  Sounds like a bit of an overload to me. How many speed sessions are you doing per week? I understand that the temptation is to do as much as humanly possible but don't overdo it. No need to get down, you've been doing brilliantly and the main thing is that the calf is behaving! We all need a crappy session every now and then!

O4S- nothing wrong with those intervals, well done!

Free- great session, seems to be very popular at the moment, must ask the boss to put it in my schedule.

AA- love the bling, how appropriate!

I went to the Banff Adventure Film festival last night  in a chapel in north London- what a venue! It was great- 8 short movies about anything from extreme climbing, mountain biking to snowboarding and kayaking. Off to see the second installment tonight.

10m easy done this morning. I've been doing all my running before work this week with some late nights thrown in so really looking forward to some rest tomorrow.

28/02/2013 at 09:43
Brolish, you're right. Bad sessions are definitely a required element to anyone's training plan. But why are they always so difficult to get your head around??! I am trying to do a tempo run on Tue then an interval session on Thursday. Think I'll call it a day for today and just leave well alone. As you say, my calf is behaving Sounds like you've had a long week yourself so enjoy your rest day. How is Mr B's manful? Is the smackdown still on? Loving the sound of the adventure stuff, enjoy part 2. I'm off to the horse racing tonight which will prove a welcome distraction, watching horses do the running instead

Free, in my moment of self-pity, I forgot to say well done on your session! That looks a good one. Think I will give that a go next week
28/02/2013 at 10:10

SS - doing those sessions back to back will catch up with you eventually, and it's not a bad idea to have a cut back week every now and again. So put it out of your mind - a bit of rest will do you good and next week will be a lot better.

You can thank (or blame) Minni for the killer session as she started it! It's a good one because it makes the MP bits feel really easy when you sandwich them in between the HMP.

I decided to get my recovery miles out of the way early so did it when I got into London before work. 5.5 miles in an unspecified time (naked and slow!).

28/02/2013 at 10:29

Morning all-didnt sleep well after allergic reaction to my swim,might give it a miss until after VLM

DD-no more IM? What is your focus going to be from hereon?The Brownless are toast-listen to Free!

Free-That was a tough session well done for getting that out of the way and a RR without vomit

SS-listen to Bro -she's the master? of high volume without breakdown

Simon-enjoy the lakes-they will be spectacular today after that frost and in this sun

Bro-Banff is awesome -went there many years ago (1988)and remember swimming in the outdoor pool with steam rising from it and a deer grazing on the lawn to the side of it with the mountains  as a backdrop..bet its developed a bit since then. Tempted to go back to ski but it gets very cold. Im not suprised you are feeling tired ,nice 10.

MLR later, I hope

28/02/2013 at 10:40

Free- it does sound like one of the Frankenmoz sessions!

SSheep- you might consider giving yourself a day off or a 3m recovery run day between those session. I typically do a quality session on Tuesday, MLR on Wednesday, rest on Thursday and then the second quality session on Friday. Space them out a bit more. The smackdown is very much on.

28/02/2013 at 10:47

Jeeez - one day not on the forum and 6 pages of catching up to do!
Today's 15 mile MLR d&d  - split it into 6 x 2.5 miles. Plan was warm-up/steady/MP/steady/MP/cool-down. Worked out as 8:41-- 8:17 -- 7:40 -- 8:01 -- 7:42 -- 7:56. Crikey, I so didn't expect that, but priddy pleased now .  

Col: welcome. I guess my MLR today wasn't what most people would do. And I'm usually someone who runs to HR and keeps her LSRs and MLRs sloow. I will probably regret getting carried away tomorrow, when I have to do my 1200s ! Yours were great, btw.

Freemers: brilliant speework on Tuesday and congrats on 1st female unattached (never new there was prizes for single ladies )  Love the Minni killer sesh! It's about time I did one of those again.

2old: great tempo run - 13.6k is a lot @ tempo !!

FRC posted something about a wahoo dongle ...  errrm ... I am beginning to think about tapir prehensiles again !

AA: of course 9x800s @15kph, 6:27 pace would hurt! You nutter  Well done!

Oompa: that was one hell of an adventurous run! I reckon the old biddy on the bike hit you deliberately. The stride incident was pretty cool too. Reminds me of the idiot that tried to nick my water bottle the other day. He had no idea what hit him. He was too scared to shout anything back .

BarryB: Crossing my fingers that the calf injury clears up.

Minni: glad the race organisers finally got back to you. 28 quid for a half really is steep. Bummer about Castles mara ...

kfc: sounds a bit scary! My heart sometimes does it when I rest (they didn't find anything in me either) but I never have it when I run. When it occurs I usually have a shit run the next day though .

O4S: pretty consistent 800s - well done! Now have a rest and allow that skin thing to settle.

DD: great long hill run! Would love to see a proper DD / Brownlee smackdown

SS: don't be too despondent about the sesh - you've worked mega hard over the past couple of days and your legs are telling you just that. Happens to all of us.

Edited: 28/02/2013 at 10:51
28/02/2013 at 10:57

Chick-interesting MLR there and one that can only be a positive contribution to your conditioning. It was a long tempo but at least it wasnt a lactic session!

28/02/2013 at 11:39

Oompa - its definitiely the 20 this weekend as well. I think they hold both of them together.

2old - we'll see about my pacing on the day Might do the first 10 too quick I think is the main possibility, but will try to be disciplined. 

Minni - I think you're getting a little too focused on the course measurements. Just get out there and race, you'll do great

Garmins seem to have turned everyone into freelance course measurers 0.1 extra in a half marathon for example is nothing and probably to be expected with just weaving and the Garmin's margin of error. AFAIK course measurers will also err on the side of caution when measuring the race to make sure that it doesn't end up short. 

12 miles last night on way home from work, 10 miles tonight as well. 

28/02/2013 at 12:07

Ant-some good mileage going on there.Ive only raced one 20 and deliberately ran the first 10 steadily -I chatted to another runner most of the way and then raced the second half averaging 7.30mm, so thats one way to do it -firts half steady ,second half eye balls out...just a suggestion.

28/02/2013 at 12:15

2old, sounds like the right thing to give the swimming a miss until after VLM.  Is the reaction just happening in one pool or in pools generally?  Have you tried googling it?

Free/Chick, I'm through my moping now, thanks to the forum   As you say, it is only to be expected and it does happen to everyone.  Nice MLR by the way, Chick.

Brolish, that's a great idea, thank you.  I think where I've been going wrong is trying to keep the weekend free (Fri/Sat), well just a recovery run on Sat, while I've got the luxury of not working.  But OH is really understanding so he won't mind me doing a session on Fri.  Anyway, he'll have to lump it come April when my job starts 

Ant, good luck for Sunday!

28/02/2013 at 12:23

SSheep- I know what you mean about Fridays but it's all about the priorities...  I often hit the track at 7am on Friday before work or do my LSR on the way back if I have a busy weekend. When do you start working by the way?

28/02/2013 at 12:33

SSheep- oh sorry, you did say April. Back to reality!!!

28/02/2013 at 12:44
Yep, all about the priorities! I think I will find it easier to juggle stuff once I have a set routine. Since I finished my studies, I've been cruising really. That's nice for a month or so,but I can't wait to get back out there and, well, get my own life going
Edited: 28/02/2013 at 12:48
28/02/2013 at 12:54

SS - Red wine & cider!!! I'll admit to the odd "snakebite" in my youth, but that combo is ridiculous! Mind you, imagine the "kick" you'd get if you used it in a mara instead of gels??!!

Free - Like the sound of that session, although i'm sure that my opinion will change after i've done one.

Chick - Nice MLR. Really good to split it into sections as well... Will give that a whirl next time as i sometimes find MLR's & LSR's get boring at one pace.

Ant - Thanks for the info. I'm still unsure if i can trust myself to not race it and just use it as a training run? I don't want to detract from my quality sessions during the week, with only 7 weeks to go until VLM.

28/02/2013 at 17:51
Chick - great mlr - beats the boredom of ticking off miles.

Freemers - quality session. Good old minni special!

SS - you've done some great sessions this week. It's only natural to be tired so well done for listening to your body. That's the hardest thing sometimes.

8 miles @ 9 m/m this morning. Hammy moaning. 18 planned tomorrow and was gonna do a section at mp. Just not sure how many miles. Any suggestions?
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.