RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

26,961 to 26,980 of 37,584 messages
28/02/2013 at 11:39

Oompa - its definitiely the 20 this weekend as well. I think they hold both of them together.

2old - we'll see about my pacing on the day Might do the first 10 too quick I think is the main possibility, but will try to be disciplined. 

Minni - I think you're getting a little too focused on the course measurements. Just get out there and race, you'll do great

Garmins seem to have turned everyone into freelance course measurers 0.1 extra in a half marathon for example is nothing and probably to be expected with just weaving and the Garmin's margin of error. AFAIK course measurers will also err on the side of caution when measuring the race to make sure that it doesn't end up short. 

12 miles last night on way home from work, 10 miles tonight as well. 

28/02/2013 at 12:07

Ant-some good mileage going on there.Ive only raced one 20 and deliberately ran the first 10 steadily -I chatted to another runner most of the way and then raced the second half averaging 7.30mm, so thats one way to do it -firts half steady ,second half eye balls out...just a suggestion.

28/02/2013 at 12:15

2old, sounds like the right thing to give the swimming a miss until after VLM.  Is the reaction just happening in one pool or in pools generally?  Have you tried googling it?

Free/Chick, I'm through my moping now, thanks to the forum   As you say, it is only to be expected and it does happen to everyone.  Nice MLR by the way, Chick.

Brolish, that's a great idea, thank you.  I think where I've been going wrong is trying to keep the weekend free (Fri/Sat), well just a recovery run on Sat, while I've got the luxury of not working.  But OH is really understanding so he won't mind me doing a session on Fri.  Anyway, he'll have to lump it come April when my job starts 

Ant, good luck for Sunday!

28/02/2013 at 12:23

SSheep- I know what you mean about Fridays but it's all about the priorities...  I often hit the track at 7am on Friday before work or do my LSR on the way back if I have a busy weekend. When do you start working by the way?

28/02/2013 at 12:33

SSheep- oh sorry, you did say April. Back to reality!!!

28/02/2013 at 12:44
Yep, all about the priorities! I think I will find it easier to juggle stuff once I have a set routine. Since I finished my studies, I've been cruising really. That's nice for a month or so,but I can't wait to get back out there and, well, get my own life going
Edited: 28/02/2013 at 12:48
28/02/2013 at 12:54

SS - Red wine & cider!!! I'll admit to the odd "snakebite" in my youth, but that combo is ridiculous! Mind you, imagine the "kick" you'd get if you used it in a mara instead of gels??!!

Free - Like the sound of that session, although i'm sure that my opinion will change after i've done one.

Chick - Nice MLR. Really good to split it into sections as well... Will give that a whirl next time as i sometimes find MLR's & LSR's get boring at one pace.

Ant - Thanks for the info. I'm still unsure if i can trust myself to not race it and just use it as a training run? I don't want to detract from my quality sessions during the week, with only 7 weeks to go until VLM.

28/02/2013 at 17:51
Chick - great mlr - beats the boredom of ticking off miles.

Freemers - quality session. Good old minni special!

SS - you've done some great sessions this week. It's only natural to be tired so well done for listening to your body. That's the hardest thing sometimes.

8 miles @ 9 m/m this morning. Hammy moaning. 18 planned tomorrow and was gonna do a section at mp. Just not sure how many miles. Any suggestions?
28/02/2013 at 17:58

Barry - Thanks for the suggestions on adding in MP to the lsr. I will try the 3 slow / 3 at MP routine on my lsr next weekend. Sorry to hear of your calf problem. I wish you a speedy recovery. 

Some great sessions by everyone. I especially like the multi paced runs by Freemers and Chickadee.

My own MLR last night was 9m at 8:45 pace with an average heart rate of 131.    

28/02/2013 at 19:56

Legs mashed from yesterday so just a recovery run tonight and a short stretch [1 mile in case I didn't get out tonight] before work.

MLR tomorrow looking less attractive by the second 

28/02/2013 at 20:15

Barry - how's the calf?

Brol - like the sound of your flicks.

AA - what about 4/4/4/4/2 tomorrow:  easy/MP/easy/MP/easy

chick - nice mixi up session there too with tasty paces.

Tonight was 12m MLR but I couldn't quite get into it so cut it to 9.  Last night I smashed my head off a metal plank while out running - ran under it but came up too soon bit my tongue, saw stars etc and its been hurting today and ached when I was running.  Tomorrow is a rest day.

28/02/2013 at 20:43
Minni - Here's some hugs (((())))), but I've got a confession. I burst out laughing the first time I read it, sorry.

Well the weather was perfect up in the lakes. Sunny, mild, no wind, deserted mountains, I could of worn shorts/t-shirts it was that nice. So there I was with my mate on this ridge above Helm's Crag, in the sun and complete silence, admiring the views, an almost magical moment, when suddenly out of nowhere the silence was broken by a familiar sound we all know.......Eye of the Tiger.....WTF. So after rummaging around in my rucksack, I found my phone, and who was this important call breaking this magical moment, O2 reminding me to top up! B*stards.
Note to self, I need to change my ringtone.
28/02/2013 at 21:27
Lol! Sound lovely over in the lakes Simon.

Just ordered the marathon shoes.
28/02/2013 at 21:30

AA -  3 slow, 3 MP, repeat or middle 6 at MP if you have the self control to slow down for the last 6.

Minni -  My calf is the same as your head, sounds painful.

Anyone got a spare in week in august, check this out . www.britishultrafest.com

28/02/2013 at 22:10

You sprint finishing Brownlee should make a good finish line photo DD

Sounds like a great session Chick, nice way of breaking down the miles!

SS as others have said, the crap sessions happen to us all (mine was Tuesday ) Good to hear you're feeling better about it.  One dodgy run is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

AA I'd do 8 easy, 2 steady to see how the hamstring is, then go for 8 @ MP. 

Ouch Minni, that must have really hurt!   Hope you're OK, at least tomorrow is a rest day.  What choice of shoes for the marathon? How are you feeling about Sunday?

28/02/2013 at 22:11

Evening. Struggling to keep up with the forums. 1.5 hours gym tonight plus coaches meeting....

28/02/2013 at 22:12

Barry - I won't be doing that one! I know someone who will though.....

28/02/2013 at 22:43
Brief pop in MLR done at near MP ,15 miles at 7.20 mm average. Will catch up tomorrow.
28/02/2013 at 22:57
Hi Simon, ive been using myfitnesspal too.

Freemers glad you enjoyed 5min HMP/MP session aswell....Minni I think you should name it after yourself and claim it as yours (before someone else does)

Good Luck DD
Dubai Dave    pirate
01/03/2013 at 05:41
Morning

That Brownlee is going down!

2old: life beyond IM is 1/2 IM and I suspect a return to ultra running and long distance cycling...... OMG I sound like O4S!

Rest yesterday, a night at the GG's and 11 hours sleep. Feeling great now, nowt today before I take Brownlee down tomorrow.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.