RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,021 to 27,040 of 37,108 messages
Dubai Dave    pirate
02/03/2013 at 13:17

Phew go away for a day and spend 30 mins reading back trying to catch up.

Minni: Has the hangover cured the trapped nerve?

2Old: If i use gels its Gu but that's only cos their gluten Free

SS: Nags were cool, you bet by phone to the UK. As far as I'm aware no one stocks Hi5 gels here, its Gu or nowt.

Chick: I used to have a 911 as well, plus a 928 & a 944. Have been considering a boxster for some time.

Abu Dhabi International Tri

Not one of my best days, the hard training and lots of racing finaly caught up with me, had to happen sooner or later.

Stood on the beach next to a certain Mr Brownlee who looked young enough to be my grandson, I'm not sure that he needs to shave yet. Hooter sounded and I never saw him again! Usual washing machine swim and out the water in 29-11 which was a course PB, that's 5 minutes quicker than 2 years ago, which shows that whilst i think my swimming has never got any better I have in fact gradually improved. Indeed I can remember thinking that a 30 min 1.5K would be awesome and now I'm thinking sub 28 would be nice. If only I could improve my marathon time by 15%

T1 was a sedate 6 mins and out onto the bike,knew immediately that my legs were cooked from the 1300K I have cycled in the past 4 weeks, slogged my way out into the wind to Yas F1 circuit, would have quit if there was a way to get home. Turned down wind for 20K before turning once again to return into the wind to Yas, it hurt!. Turned downwind for the last time and thought to myself "well we all have bad days". People continued to fly by me, something which normally never happens but the tank was empty and there was nothing I could do. Perked up for the last 10K and caught my training mate who had passed me at 70K. Back into T 2 in 3-24, 30 minutes slower than  last year, Through T2 in 2-30 and out on the run.

By now it was 1300 and 35C, I realised that a full on run was not  practical and held back though my legs felt fine running. Trotted out 10K in 47-24 which I was happy enough with. Total time 4-49-xx or about 30 mins slower than last year and a pathetic 18th in age group

Ah well its not the end of the world and I enjoyed the swim and the run, the bike we won't talk about and I will leave them in the shed for a few days. Think I might drink a few ciders. 

As for Mr Brownlee he broke the course record and was probably already having a nap by the time I got in, mind you his medal is the same as mine.

02/03/2013 at 15:04
Minni wrote (see)
It's all pointing to a lot of poo!

And that's another reason not to ditch the caffeine, it helps get everything out on race morning!

Presumably that diet is just for the 2-3 days going into the race, so a lack of veg shouldn't be a big problem.

FRC cheesy garlic bread? you deviant! Carb loading doesn't mean calories going through the roof, so if you want to do it properly you have to be really disciplined about cutting out fat and protein and replacing it with carbs. So think an extra slice of toast but no butter on any of it to keep the calories neutral.

Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Abu Dhabi International Tri

As for Mr Brownlee he broke the course record and was probably already having a nap by the time I got in, mind you his medal is the same as mine.

And that for me is the beauty of running. In what other sport do you get to - technically - compete against the best in the world without even having to ace a qualifier? Sorry the bike leg was so tough DD, but it sounds like there are a lot of positives you can take from your swimming performance.

It's trying to be a sunny day here so I'm off for a (non-marathoners) long run around the canals.

02/03/2013 at 17:28
Good luck tomorrow to the racers.
Minni- sub 1:30 pls, no pressure!
Ant and Oompa- don't get carried away and race it all out! Have a good one, I did Spitfire last year and loved it.
Chick- smoking intervals!
DD- great racing, hope you're enjoying the cider
02/03/2013 at 19:28
Haha spoons, I completely agree. I have at least 10 portions of fruit and veg a day, I think if i didnt have anything the day before a marathon, its more likely to cause me problems...its what its use to!

Amazing intervals chick.

DD sorry to hear that you didnt enjoy the bike section of your tri but congrats on the rest. I think you deserve a gallon of cider...enjoy.

Thanks Barry

Good luck for tomorrow everyone whose racing
02/03/2013 at 19:57

Evening All, I have lots to catch up on! Been on deaths doorstep all week but hopefully back to it today I'm not going to fit in 6 runs for Febulous

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow, should be nice weather for a change, remember trust in your training

02/03/2013 at 20:07
Sounds like a great swim and run DD.

Kept a low profile all day firstly because I have a massive hangover and secondly because my nerve pain, which had disappeared this morning, has come back this afternoon. currently shunting as recommended by the TM physio, AA.
02/03/2013 at 20:37
Hi gang,

just popping in to say good luck to tomorrow's racers, shall look forward to your race reports. Minni - hope your nerve pain disappears.
02/03/2013 at 20:38

Oompa - no race number yet - apparently everyone picks up their number in the AM. Looks like good conditions for tomorrow - but I feel rather undercooked!

02/03/2013 at 21:15

Good luck everyone racing tomorrow. 

We've just been to the Presso next to Norwich station we all went to.

02/03/2013 at 21:21
That was our first date!
02/03/2013 at 22:12

02/03/2013 at 23:36

Weeble Nothing wrong with cheese. Tons of bread in that carb diet already - which I don't eat much off about from CGB. Lucky I didn't mention the jaffa cakes ! Doh. Also hardly drink booze unlike some on here ? Cheese or booze... Hmmm no competition for me...

Minni wrote (see)
RUTH MCKEAN wrote (see)

Hi Minne

The food that  I have  posted will appear a lot for you as you only weigh 115lb . For you I would only recommend you have 400-500g when carb loading and as mentioned above cut out all the extras fat and even protein to keep the overall calories down...

Minni, did you check the typo in Ruth's diet? She actually says 155lb not 115lb in her reply so wasn't sure if you'd checked off forum the calculations are correct or should those portions be less?

DD sounds like you had fun, which is more important. Nice report on the race here, and interview with Brownlee.

Gazelle, hope you're okay. not well?

Brol, enjoy smackdown. You can always shout "look a free BBQ !" near the finish... I'm sure that will distract Mr Brol for a few minutes.

Good luck to Ooompa AntP, Brol racing tomorrow, anyone else?

03/03/2013 at 04:57

Good luck to today's racers.

03/03/2013 at 05:58
Race well today, people Ant/Oompa, enjoy trying to pace it sensibly. I'm taking bets that the plan goes out the window Brolish, take him dooooooooown!! Tell him not to feel too sad at coming in second, I'll buy him a consolation pint post-VLM
03/03/2013 at 06:40

Minni, is Ruth a nutritionist?  Are you taking advice generally or just specifically for the VLM?  I'm really interested in hearing more.  Also, what is shunting?  Is it helping? 

Chick, scorching paces   Sounds like you're feeling in a great place, that's brilliant to hear!

Barry, really well done on the x-training session.  Another idea to break up the 3hr sessions is to alternate between rower, cross trainer and bike.  Last year I did 3 sets of 20 mins on each, trying to keep heart rate steady between the different pieces of equipment.  Other times I would do the first set steady, the middle set hard, and then back to steady for the final set.  It at least gives some variation in an otherwise dull, dull, dull session 

Spoons, nice turbo.

DD, it's OK, we had a man with BBM contact to his bookies   Still wasn't quite the same without the cold hard cash exchange element.  Really well done for a great effort on the tri.  Shame it didn't go to plan, but it sounds like you handled it all well, enjoyed the bits you could, and I hope the post-race ciders were good.

Sarah, I'm with you on the copious amounts of fruit and veg!!  Minimal cheese for me, sorry, FRC, but it kills my stomach in high doses.  Nutrition is so personal, the hard part is working out what works - and carrying Immodium Instants should it all go wrong mid-race 

Gazelle, really sorry to hear you've been so poorly.  I hope you get well soon.

I had a good day yesterday.  Spin session followed by core in the morning, 4.5m recovery run in the evening.  I took my spin session comparatively easy and ran the RR really easy and I now feel back to normal after my blip this week.  I'm also going to back off the mileage in my LSR today but add in some marathon pace.  The aim is to do 15m comprising 3.5m easy, 8m@mp, 3.5m easy

03/03/2013 at 06:55
Ant - You may feel undercooked but I bet that after the last couple of days, you're better at FIFA and can recite all of Justin Bieber's lyrics.

Just leaving, see you there.
03/03/2013 at 07:52
Good luck racers - especially Brolish. Beat that man!

FRC - yes I realised which was why I changed it in my quote. The pasta at night does seem low but the baked potato and bread at lunch time is a lot. I planned to try it out yesterday but the hangover got in the way! Will try harder next weekend.

SS - yes, she's one of the Asics crew. Shunting is alternating hot and cold and was recommended by AA for the nerve pain. It appears to have helped.
Edited: 03/03/2013 at 07:58
03/03/2013 at 08:06

How are you this morning Minni?

03/03/2013 at 08:10
Good luck to Bro - go beat mr bro!

Good luck to the spitfire 2 and to Freemers in her 20. Hope the paces all work well for you.

Mega good luck to Minni - go smash it. Hopefully the nerve pain will settle long enough to go sub90. So excited for you

Chick - amazing interval session.

DD - you are still the tri king.

Anyone else running long today, enjoy. Lovely conditions for it.

Hangover from hell for me yesterday. Gonna dry out before I go to San Fran on Wednesday for warm weather training for a few days
03/03/2013 at 08:34
AA - I'm sitting in the car on a freezing cold, open airfield, not daring to get out for fear of instant cryostasis, so could you please refrain from talk of San Fran and WARM weather training!;)

Good luck today guys
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.