RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,021 to 27,040 of 36,995 messages
01/03/2013 at 22:52
It's all pointing to a lot of poo!
01/03/2013 at 23:05

Carb loading?  Looks like a suspciously low amount of food to me!

Gels?  devils work - i'm with O4S on this one.  

I've felt really tired the last few days, been generally active and probably racking up about 30 miles a day on the bike, but no 'proper' training.  Hoping I'll have enough steam for my LSR on Sunday 

Minni - hope the head/nerve is feeling better

02/03/2013 at 00:15
Looks very low to me too.. Where is the cheese garlic bread?
Actually a lot of bread in there would make me feel really sluggish digestion wise. There is protein in the milkshake also, plus can be a lot of calories.
It has fruit juice or cordial so I assume that's the added sugar variety to improve hydration?
02/03/2013 at 08:04
Thanks freemers and minni. I know your both right but it still doesn't stop you from thinking....maybe I should stop thinking!

FRC I really don't understand, one minute their saying that barefooted running is the best and their bringing minimal trainers out and then the next their inventing bouncy trainers...I'm with you on this one, I reckon their not going to be good on the knees.

Minni glad to hear that you've had the same problem before and you know how to treat it...I'm hoping your 6miles today helps resolve it and you have a great race tomorrow.

Legs feeling fine after yesterday but I was in compression socks and tights all evening and did some foam rollering. Rest day for me today although I may walk in to town after work (3-4 miles away)
02/03/2013 at 08:20
Forgot to say, spoons, Ruth has been saying on all the asics threads to avoid all fruit and veg (and fibre) the day before the race and replace that and most of your protein with carbs...supposedly so your Bowels are happy on marathon day and you get enough carbs without increasing your calorie intake.
02/03/2013 at 08:28
Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)

Anyone seen these silly bouncy Adidas trainers that have just come out for £110?
Madness, I know a few who have gone for them already (because they will be soooo much faster), they don't realise there is an Adios version coming out in July - the shoe all the Kenyans are using. Bouncy for me equals achilles or knee injuries anyway.

Heard about those on MT and though what a stupid marketing idea ... I bet there's loads of idiots going for them though. Like people go for dieting aids ... I prefer my shoes giving me feedback on the surface I'm running on. A bit like when I'm driving   hard sporty suspension rules (I used to drive a Porsche 911 many years ago).

Minni wrote (see)

90g of pasta (dried weight) is nothing though! My usual portion is 150-200g (and that's when I'm NOT carb loading ). Glad you know what causes the pain. Hope you can run it away!!

Had a great tempo sesh last night -  5 x 1200 off 2 min recoveries ended up with 4:51, 4:47, 4:48, 4:49 and 4:47 (that's 6:31 to 6:25 pace ) and I can safely say that I have never run any reps so fast and yet felt so strong. Usually my last rep is my slowest and I'm about to die. Yesterday I could have easily done another one or two. Veeeery pleased

Oompa: hope the knee survived the 12 miler

02/03/2013 at 10:01
Chick - So you like your shoes like a 911, firm, and sporty, with a lively rear end! Hehe.

Minni - Has the Trout worked on your groin yet?
Edited: 02/03/2013 at 10:04
02/03/2013 at 10:13

Oompa - nice one. I'll look out for you - club vest? I will be in a Trent park vest (green/white). I prepared for the race by staying up playing xbox till 3 in the morning last night  and today I am games master for my sons birthday party with 8 8 year olds playing just dance..

Re all this talk about gels. I didn't used to use them, but took them up last year - and I find they really work. I use hi5 as well - they are good because they are quite small and the gel is quite palatable. In fact a key part of my training this year has been to train myself to be able to consume more of them in the race without it upsetting my stomach. I am convinced that can be trained - and that seems to be the case for me so far. 

02/03/2013 at 12:18

Chick -  Great session, very speedy.

Minni - Hope you're feeling better.

AA/Sarah - The form you have shown recently indicates you are training well. Carry on and you will be fine come VLM.

3 hours x training for me this morning, 1st hour at 12Kmh, then 13 kmh for the second and 14kmh for the last.

02/03/2013 at 12:19

Chick - Cracking intervals. Knee felt a bit odd after the 12 but feels fine again this morning.

Ant - Lingfield RC vest - White with green and red vertical strips at the sides. What's your race no. or are you doing a "pay & play" as well?

02/03/2013 at 12:40

Sarah - not sure about missing my pre marathon breakfast of porridge with apricots, an apple and a banana. I don't remember ever having any bowel issues. The only time I do is if I have more than 3 pints of ale the night before!

1.5 hours on the turbo trainer this morning. 

02/03/2013 at 12:41

Great 1200s Chickadee

Dubai Dave    pirate
02/03/2013 at 13:17

Phew go away for a day and spend 30 mins reading back trying to catch up.

Minni: Has the hangover cured the trapped nerve?

2Old: If i use gels its Gu but that's only cos their gluten Free

SS: Nags were cool, you bet by phone to the UK. As far as I'm aware no one stocks Hi5 gels here, its Gu or nowt.

Chick: I used to have a 911 as well, plus a 928 & a 944. Have been considering a boxster for some time.

Abu Dhabi International Tri

Not one of my best days, the hard training and lots of racing finaly caught up with me, had to happen sooner or later.

Stood on the beach next to a certain Mr Brownlee who looked young enough to be my grandson, I'm not sure that he needs to shave yet. Hooter sounded and I never saw him again! Usual washing machine swim and out the water in 29-11 which was a course PB, that's 5 minutes quicker than 2 years ago, which shows that whilst i think my swimming has never got any better I have in fact gradually improved. Indeed I can remember thinking that a 30 min 1.5K would be awesome and now I'm thinking sub 28 would be nice. If only I could improve my marathon time by 15%

T1 was a sedate 6 mins and out onto the bike,knew immediately that my legs were cooked from the 1300K I have cycled in the past 4 weeks, slogged my way out into the wind to Yas F1 circuit, would have quit if there was a way to get home. Turned down wind for 20K before turning once again to return into the wind to Yas, it hurt!. Turned downwind for the last time and thought to myself "well we all have bad days". People continued to fly by me, something which normally never happens but the tank was empty and there was nothing I could do. Perked up for the last 10K and caught my training mate who had passed me at 70K. Back into T 2 in 3-24, 30 minutes slower than  last year, Through T2 in 2-30 and out on the run.

By now it was 1300 and 35C, I realised that a full on run was not  practical and held back though my legs felt fine running. Trotted out 10K in 47-24 which I was happy enough with. Total time 4-49-xx or about 30 mins slower than last year and a pathetic 18th in age group

Ah well its not the end of the world and I enjoyed the swim and the run, the bike we won't talk about and I will leave them in the shed for a few days. Think I might drink a few ciders. 

As for Mr Brownlee he broke the course record and was probably already having a nap by the time I got in, mind you his medal is the same as mine.

02/03/2013 at 15:04
Minni wrote (see)

And that's another reason not to ditch the caffeine, it helps get everything out on race morning!

Presumably that diet is just for the 2-3 days going into the race, so a lack of veg shouldn't be a big problem.

FRC cheesy garlic bread? you deviant! Carb loading doesn't mean calories going through the roof, so if you want to do it properly you have to be really disciplined about cutting out fat and protein and replacing it with carbs. So think an extra slice of toast but no butter on any of it to keep the calories neutral.

Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Abu Dhabi International Tri

As for Mr Brownlee he broke the course record and was probably already having a nap by the time I got in, mind you his medal is the same as mine.

And that for me is the beauty of running. In what other sport do you get to - technically - compete against the best in the world without even having to ace a qualifier? Sorry the bike leg was so tough DD, but it sounds like there are a lot of positives you can take from your swimming performance.

It's trying to be a sunny day here so I'm off for a (non-marathoners) long run around the canals.

02/03/2013 at 17:28
Good luck tomorrow to the racers.
Minni- sub 1:30 pls, no pressure!
Ant and Oompa- don't get carried away and race it all out! Have a good one, I did Spitfire last year and loved it.
Chick- smoking intervals!
DD- great racing, hope you're enjoying the cider
02/03/2013 at 19:28
Haha spoons, I completely agree. I have at least 10 portions of fruit and veg a day, I think if i didnt have anything the day before a marathon, its more likely to cause me problems...its what its use to!

Amazing intervals chick.

DD sorry to hear that you didnt enjoy the bike section of your tri but congrats on the rest. I think you deserve a gallon of cider...enjoy.

Thanks Barry

Good luck for tomorrow everyone whose racing
02/03/2013 at 19:57

Evening All, I have lots to catch up on! Been on deaths doorstep all week but hopefully back to it today I'm not going to fit in 6 runs for Febulous

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow, should be nice weather for a change, remember trust in your training

02/03/2013 at 20:07
Sounds like a great swim and run DD.

Kept a low profile all day firstly because I have a massive hangover and secondly because my nerve pain, which had disappeared this morning, has come back this afternoon. currently shunting as recommended by the TM physio, AA.
02/03/2013 at 20:37
Hi gang,

just popping in to say good luck to tomorrow's racers, shall look forward to your race reports. Minni - hope your nerve pain disappears.
02/03/2013 at 20:38

Oompa - no race number yet - apparently everyone picks up their number in the AM. Looks like good conditions for tomorrow - but I feel rather undercooked!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.