RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,201 to 27,220 of 37,495 messages
06/03/2013 at 20:55

Chick - great session!

glad to hear everyone is sorting their new shoes out!

i can't do tomorrow's run on Thursday or Friday and possibly not Saturday so I've broken my rule and ran 2 days in a row. 70 minutes tonight at 10:00 - 10:30 pace. Injury wise I still have no niggles at all and aerobically I'm fine but my legs don't go very quickly any more....

06/03/2013 at 21:28
Chick- some rest!
Spoons- looks positive if you can do two runs in a row even if you didn't plan to
Weeble-500calories? I'd sleep walk to the biscuits on that amount
Minni- don't push it make the most of the rest period and you'll be back quicker. You'll be we'll tapered for your HM anyway
MLR done 15.6 miles 7.48mm av- yes Oomp it turned really cold. I couldn't hold my fork for a few mins when I tried to eat my tea on getting in. Sort of rest day tomorrow. May swim even though I decided to stop until after VLM
06/03/2013 at 21:32

I eat around 3000 calories a day. That keeps my weight stable. If I eat 2500 calories a day I lose weight. But I can't seem to survive on that amount

06/03/2013 at 21:47

Spoons:  my legs don't go quickly any more either..........

Minni:  I am in the same boat, the lurgy I got just before the Reading 20 is stillhanging on, not as bad, but still runny nose and chesty - also sore glutes and glute / hamstring insertion.  My lower back and hips have always been a weak point and I'm getting a bit concerned about VLM.  5 miles easy today, but it didn't feel it!

Great running the rest of the team - Redders at the rate you are going you will need to be very hungover if you are to avoid lapping us at Gloucester.

06/03/2013 at 22:00
Minni - Doing the right thing by just easing off. It's perfectly normal at this stage of training to have a few aches & pains, especially with the mileage you've been doing. Hopefully the physio will sort your niggles out

Spoons - Of course your legs aren't gonna go round that quick after the enforced layoff you've had, but keep going as you are and it won't be long

2old - Absolutely bloody stonking MLR

Back on the weight subject, I think I need to read back on my own posts... "If I drop below 70 kgs I struggle with endurance etc... etc..."
Well it bloody happened tonight!!!

Within the first mile I knew it wasn't going to be a good run... Breathing heavily, hips ached (never before), right calf tight, so as I was running 3 laps of a hilly 4 mile route, I thought "sod this, I'll finish after 1 lap!"
When it came to it I thought better of it and decided to do 1 more lap, by which time the rain was really coming down and to top it off I got a stitch in my left side (at 8.18 pace!!!), which I haven't had since running 1500m races in schooldays!
2nd lap done and decided to zip up the man-suit and just grind out the last lap, which I duly did and promptly collapsed in a heap in the hall!
Feel a bit better now after a couple of For Goodness Shakes, but haven't felt that rubbish for ages?

Anyway, rant over... Next
06/03/2013 at 22:11
Lol Oompa! Glad you've picked yourself up from the floor!

O4S - how odd that we have same symptoms. Exactly the same here - glutes and hams. I guess that's where has been getting the hammering and so first to be hit.
06/03/2013 at 23:06
Evening guys...

18 x 200m reps at 6:00min/mile pace with 1 minute rests in between. Great just to be out in a t-shirt and shorts! Steady half marathon for me tomorrow...

Couple of questions:

MLR?

Would be interested in hearing more on the weight subject... Haven't been to anal on the weight / calories thing. I generally eat pretty healthily and fresh food 95% of the time. Need to weigh myself again actually. Have definitely lost body fat but gained muscle...

What do people generally opt for Pre and post run?
07/03/2013 at 00:42

So many good runs last few days... anyone would think we were training for something? Also too many pages, I cant keep up.

Freemers - excellent 20 miler - after last weeks 2:40 sick/ bling epic, an even better time.
Col - stonking half time.
Scuba - fabulous half time by you. Your post made me happy, best post of the week
Also multiple great runs long & MLR by Oompa, 2old, Ant, everyone.

Brol - with your high mileage in the legs, 10k PB still good. Oh EVERYONE remember - no going to airports or Bruges this weekend.. Brol is flying!

SS - good tempo run probably tired at weekend, now recovered a bit... might still need more rest? The dietary advice thread is here that Minni was talking about. Lots of fruit and veg in my diet anyway so drastically altering it 2-3 days before VLM probably more harm than good. The Cheese stays for me & Sarah

Minni, Glad to see you have recovered. All about getting to April 21st in one piece now.

Achilles has been a bit sore so taking it carefully. Sat - 6 miles + circuit, Sun - steady 16 miles for me @ 8:15. Monday Did another session with the PT, lots of stretching, some strength work. All helped seemed to loosen legs up similar to above. Oh.. lesson of the day doing a side plank easy... side plank with 10kg on your hip, Tough !

Good 10 miles Tuesday, w/m + 3m @ HMP down to club, then 6.5m fartlek with 10+ pals.. all sections 0.3-0.75mile at between 5:25-5:50 pace. Heel fine.. weird.

Stafford 20 mile race this Sunday for me. Shaggy ( ) told me not to race these, so what to aim for? Freemer covered this pretty well.. Did a hilly 20m last year in 2h 37 but much faster since then, sub 90 half/ sub 40 10k . Stafford is 3 laps, 8m/6m/6m with hill at end of first lap I think so has a nice structure for progressive?

07/03/2013 at 06:45
Belated welcome Blade, nice intervals MLR = Medium Long Run.

Everyone's different pre-run... I opt for porridge with a banana 2-3 hours before the race, then a Lucozade Sport one hour before, topped up with 2 x gels half an hour before the start.

Although everyone's different pre-race, post-race, this thread will consume ALCOHOL!!!

FRC - I'm with you and Shaggy on this one, don't race it... Too risky imho.
10kgs side plank... Ouch! How long are you holding for?
07/03/2013 at 06:53
FRC - sounds perfect for a progressive paced run. The 21 miler that Bladerunner and I are both doing in a couple of weeks is like that - a 9 mile loop and then twice round a 6 mile. I'm aiming for slow/slow/a little less slow for that one - basically an LSR with a little progression at the end - but not all out like my last 20!

Minni - hopefully the physio will sort everything out and you'll be back to normal quickly.

Oompa - we all get those horrible runs where you feel sluggish from the start. It's only a blip and at least you got the miles in.

Blade - MLR is a medium long run, usually 12-15 miles. Mind you I never do them so don't listen to me!

Tempo run later. My calf is back to normal and I feel the need for a bit of pace

My marathon shoes arrived last week too. They'll be staying in the box for another few weeks before I break them in
07/03/2013 at 06:53
I'm another who doesn't believe in racing the 20m. You don't want to peak too early.

O4S - I see on Fb that another of my running friends has been hit by the lurgy and is complaining of sore lower back, butt and hams.
Edited: 07/03/2013 at 06:56
07/03/2013 at 07:01

My fuelling strategy is a always porridge for breakfast, a banana in the car on the way, maybe a muesli bar or malt loaf as well if it's a late start and chocolate milkshake at the end. 

07/03/2013 at 07:34
No time to read back properly so just a quick hi from me. MLR accomplished, but wasn't the best. It's definitely heating up over here. Even when the sun went down, the breeze is now starting to feel warm rather than cooling. Oh well, I'm hoping my body adjusts to it this time rather than receiving the shock of its life when I started training last June for the TR24...

I had 'digestive issues' within a couple of miles, knew there were loos at the park should I need, but it wore off so I kept going. But I was never really 'comfortable', to be honest, and the last couple of miles I felt horribly bloated and had a stitch. I took one gel at 5 miles and intended to take another at 10 but i thought it would probably not help my stomach so didnt take it. Heart rate was good and i felt really strong at points, but was disappointed to see my average pacing was 9:45. Rest day today, some sort of session tomorrow. Hope everyone's doing well
07/03/2013 at 07:57

Minni:  just our luck, but a slight comfort to know it is something going round and will presumably get out of our systems eventually.  I just feel as if I have never really got back to top form since my first lurgy attack in October.  Must be old age

Blade:  pre-race, for any distance from 10k to 100miles, I have one slice of toast and marmalade, no pre-race gels or energy drinks, just some water. Water only during the race, no gels or energy drinks. Post race [apart from the alcohol!!] anything going - shorter races probably nothing much, longer races a sandwich, banana or tea and cake.

I have just started breaking in my marathon shoes - but only on-road,

07/03/2013 at 08:18
Oompa wrote (see)

Everyone's different pre-run... I opt for porridge with a banana 2-3 hours before the race, then a Lucozade Sport one hour before, topped up with 2 x gels half an hour before the start.

Hi Oompa - I never considered taking gels before a run. I thought the idea of gels was to replenish your levels during the run rather than top them up before you even start to run ? 

Dubai Dave    pirate
07/03/2013 at 08:29

Morning Lots going on as always

Minni: Hope your soon back on form, I've had a snotty nose that won't go away since January! 

SS: Yep its warming up

Last nights 9 miles of "easy" hill work turned into 9 miles at 7-30's with the last two hills considerably quicker. This morning was 2 hours 20 on the cycle track with a friend in a sandstorm... lovely.

Dubai Dave    pirate
07/03/2013 at 08:34

Carterusm: Lots take gels before the start as a pre race boost, cant say I do but lots do so maybe it works.

Minni: still not considering impending chaos, its two months away! The bit I'm not looking forward to is camping in our house for a month whilst our stuff makes its way by slow camel to the UK. So in short its not the leaving here that worries me but the arriving there, sans furniture, car etc etc. On the plus side I got a good deal to fly home BA Business Class so I don't have to mix with the riff raff 

07/03/2013 at 08:45
Carter - I quite often take a gell before a race (not before a normal training run). It's probably all in my head but I do find it makes it a bit easy to hit a good pace from the off. So I would take one before shorter races mainly where speed it more critical. No idea if it really works but I figure it can't hurt!
07/03/2013 at 09:19

Carter- I also often take one get 15min before a race for a final top up/ energy boost. Not sure if it helps but it doesn't do any harm.

Blade- it's porridge with a banana for me before a weekend's LSR. Other morning runs are usually done on empty as there's not enough time in the morning, it doesn't seem to bother me one way or another. Nothing special before evening runs, just normal lunch and then maybe a snack (apple/ banana/a couple of rice cakes) a couple of hours before I set off. Post run it's wine and cider all the way. 

Oompa- sounds like one of the runs you want to forget, well done for sticking it out!

SS- I think you will have to make peace with your pace dropping in hot weather, there's no way around it. If you expect to be running at your normal pace you'll just get frustrated... I am so not looking forward to running in warm weather...

9n easy into work this morning @ 8:14 so slighly on the faster side of easy.

07/03/2013 at 10:30

Morning-bit wet and cold here-back to normal

Oomp-well done for toughing out that 12miler -it will be tough after the quality sessions you did in the few days before and allowing for the weather.

O4S-not another lurgy sufferer-get well quick please-we need your inspiration

Blade-that was an impressive interval session-how did it feel as you did them and then towards the end or was the pace one you could hold consistently to the end?Re MLRs last night pre run 3 shortbread biscuits and a cup of tea psot run a biriani and yoghurt with jam. No beer this time

FRC-some nice running there-watch the achillees though. I know you are a very disciplined runner but wondr if you are tempted to race the 20 as there is still plenty of time to recover-we'll see

Free-make it a 10k tempo

SS-if you have doubts about your stomach and see a loo , use it-Minni will endorse this after her VLM experience

DD-no lightening of the workload I see...youll miss those sandstorms

Bro-another short run I see, just not used to seeing you log less than double digit runs

Easy day today -a swim and maybe a RR later

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.