RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,221 to 27,240 of 37,182 messages
07/03/2013 at 12:43

easy day for me too, 2old. 6 miles d&d. Slow. Sluggish. Hard work. Hated it

Minni and others: Mr. Chick and my god daughter both had a similar lurgy type thing. Really tired and painful calves, hammies and hips. It went away after a few days without developing into anything. Fingers crossed!

Enjoy the pacy stuff, Freemers

Bladerunner: I'm similar to Bro. Porridge before the Sunday long run otherwise nothing coz I run around 4:30 am . If I were bothering with food beforehand I'd have to get up even earlier and I really can't be arsed ... 

07/03/2013 at 12:47

To clarify, the Lucozade followed by 2 gels is only pre-marathon! If i did that before every run... 

Still feel dodgy today. Legs feel okay, but i'm slightly dehydrated despite drinking loads of water... Must be man-flu on the way! 

Thankfully it's a rest day today and i might swap tomorrow's 5 mile recovery for a swim session?

07/03/2013 at 14:49

DD/Freemers/Brolish - thanks, I guess I will give it a go then !

07/03/2013 at 14:52
Bro - don't let Moz see that "easy" pace

Blade - great pace for those intervals. Do you do longer intervals too - say 800m or 1km reps? Or mile reps too - the longer ones are great for speed enduarance.

Tempo done - 5 miles @ 7.00 - 7.15 with a mile either side for w/u and c/d. Sorry 2old, didn't have time for a full 10k!
07/03/2013 at 14:55

Chick-I dont give myself long enough to make and eat and digest porridge before my LR so make do with Muesli tea and toast. As ever easy days are the hardest

Oomph- Id recommend a swim-I feel a lot better after mine today. Managed my usual 2k and the usual allergic reaction i get is not as extreme this time though it has caused a running nose and a sniff. I have recently started to take a gel before races only because its often a while since Ive eaten and had a warm up run of a few miles so my reserves will have depleted a bit.

07/03/2013 at 17:23

2oldnever - great pace on your mlr yesterday

Oompa - well done for getting through your mlr. You were way faster than I was

Bladerunner - porridge for me pre race. I don't bother with gels other than for a marathon

Last night's MLR was 13m at 8:43 average pace. Tonight is club tempo session.

07/03/2013 at 19:15
Morning guys. Haven't squizzed back too much but hope everyone's ok.

Got my marathon trainers last week too. Asics gel nimbus. Always have been.

Landed yesterday on time and in true style stayed awake and drank til I passed out. Good nights sleep then a 5 miler along the bay and back for marforgodssakei'mawayolous. Off to wine country today.
07/03/2013 at 21:55

Redwood your comeback is going well, you've had some great runs this week

Chick the memory of that session sends a chill down my spine... last one of those out of the way for you now though, just those lovely VO2 max sessions to look forward to!

Pink Mizunos sound lovely Bro, I'm jealous! Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Are you feeling any better today Minni? I still have no number for Sunday.

This morning's 5 miler looked scenic AA!

I got my marathon trainers in December, like AA I've always stuck to the same trainer. I've only worn them for a speed session or two and the occasional race that I've done since then just to make sure they're OK 

07/03/2013 at 21:59
Love getting in and reading back through all the posts... Didn't have a chance to get on the computer today.

Chickadee - Running at 4:30am!!!?? Are you insane? Why, just why?

Freemers - thanks. Do do longer ones too - 800m, 1K, 2K. Not necessarily at same pace though!

2old - always try and do the last rep the fastest but I generally feel very relieved once the reps are done ????

Brolish / 2old - loving the post run food and drink combos. With this being my first ever marathon I'm being a bit of a saddo and trying to be good on the alcohol front. Not enjoying that aspect though ????

Hilly 12 miles for me today - first 10 at steady 8:20s and last 2 at 7:10s. Pushed it as I knew I had a sports massage to look forward to tonight (which hurt lots by the way)!
07/03/2013 at 22:10

Evening - rest day for me as I was coaching tonight. No time for forums....

07/03/2013 at 22:18

8 miles. Felt distinctly uncomfortable. Grr. Swung via Chandos, I should have stopped and warned them to order in some extra barrels to prepare for you lot.

07/03/2013 at 22:42
That's funny Weeble - I was next door in The Harp all night and thought about popping in!
Edited: 07/03/2013 at 22:44
08/03/2013 at 08:01

funny indeed

Great MLR, blade    Running at 4:30 isn't so bad. You should try it some time . It means I can veg out on the sofa in the evenings so it has a lot going for it.

08/03/2013 at 10:43

Weeble/red-do runners go in Chandos any time other than after VLM?

Chick-trouble with early runs is that its a long time until I go to bed and I feel tired for longer

Blade -quality hill run there and a fast finish

So my pool allergy did kick in later in the day-strangely only after I got home to our cat. I dont normally react to the cat except when Ive been swimming. Now I have to decide do I stop swimming or shoot the cat?

Ive developed a bit of a twinge on the outside part of my left knee-bit of a strange one because its intermittent and sometimes feels as though the leg is about to give way. Nedless to say I didnt run last night but had got a LR planned for later today.

Dubai Dave    pirate
08/03/2013 at 11:54

Hi All

2Old: Shoot the cat, hope the knee is OK

Minni: Hope your feeling better today

AA: Jet lag kicked in yet?

Cycled for another 3 hours across the desert today, finally starting to feel bike fit in so far as consecutive 3 hour rides are a breeze. Justy back from the beach

Was out with Mrs DD last night and when I collected our car from the valet parking (please tell me they have valet parking in the UK) the three cars out before mine were a Lamborghini, Ferrari and Roller, Only in Dubai

Edited: 08/03/2013 at 11:54
08/03/2013 at 12:45

DD - any valeting services up here are done on muddy wasteland or an old disused yard!

Feeling ok today - perhaps slightly better.  Will run 6 tonight and see how it goes.  I'm still tired and drinking loads so not 100% yet but getting there.

Saw physio last night who said there's nothing wrong with me except some tightness in my lower back, which we worked on.  I got to do a bit of pelvic tilting etc to try and keep it loose.

Miserable weather today - cold and drizzle.  Hope its better for Sunday.

08/03/2013 at 13:24
DD- loading the gun now. Knowing AA the jetlag will have her awake at about 4am so she'll be running for two hours before breakfast. Rude to talk about people in their absence. That car park sounds like the one I go to in Wigan . Oh to have 3 hours spare... I'll need mine for a LR .
AA- weather is the same here and I'm planning - hoping-to do my LR later....hopefully to end before it gets dark. Stupidly I did some of my MLR earlier this week in an area with no street lights and got blinded by oncoming cars and think the uneven running from that nobbled my knee. Hope the run goes well tonight ,don't put any pressure on yourself.
08/03/2013 at 13:44

The weather forecast for the weekend looks grim, at least Sunday - snow, cold and very windy. I think I might move my LSR to Saturday to get it done.

Just back from 9 miles steady - meant to do intervals but CNBA...

2old - yup, the cat gets it

Minni - hope the run goes OK later.

I was listening to MT on my run - interesting chat about nutrition, particularly during the taper. The guy was recommending a 10 day 'fat loading' period, starting 2 weeks before race day, then 3 days carbo load. Also if you use caffeine gels or shots in the race, avoid caffeine completely for the week before.  Might give that a go.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/03/2013 at 13:53

They do talk a lot of crock on MT sometimes - that thing about de-caffeinating yourself was disproven quite recently.  And like anyone's going to load up on fat for two weeks before a marathon.  It's a (sub) 3:30 hour run FFS, we're not marching across Antarctica!

08/03/2013 at 13:55

2old: shoot the cat - all they do is shit in your neighbour's garden or eat songbirds (I'm a dog person, sorry )

DD: only in Dubai indeed ... you'll have your work cut out trying to adjust to life back in Blighty!

Freemers: I wouldn't last a day without caffeine, nevermind a week . No way. I'll have killed the first person before lunch if I tried, I'm so addicted to it

Right guys, I'm signing off until March 17.

Did my 22 today. Cold and very very very windy. It was hard work. Nevermind, all 6 runs logged on Marchiwantittobeoverous.

95 miles in the last 7 days - looking forward to a week of easy stuff. It will be cold in Denmark but the house has its own fireplace and a sauna too. Plus we have access to a fancy gym. I may even do some dreadmill running

Best of luck for Sunday, Minni, carrot and others - hope you all get PBs

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.