RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,221 to 27,240 of 36,956 messages
07/03/2013 at 06:45
Belated welcome Blade, nice intervals MLR = Medium Long Run.

Everyone's different pre-run... I opt for porridge with a banana 2-3 hours before the race, then a Lucozade Sport one hour before, topped up with 2 x gels half an hour before the start.

Although everyone's different pre-race, post-race, this thread will consume ALCOHOL!!!

FRC - I'm with you and Shaggy on this one, don't race it... Too risky imho.
10kgs side plank... Ouch! How long are you holding for?
07/03/2013 at 06:53
FRC - sounds perfect for a progressive paced run. The 21 miler that Bladerunner and I are both doing in a couple of weeks is like that - a 9 mile loop and then twice round a 6 mile. I'm aiming for slow/slow/a little less slow for that one - basically an LSR with a little progression at the end - but not all out like my last 20!

Minni - hopefully the physio will sort everything out and you'll be back to normal quickly.

Oompa - we all get those horrible runs where you feel sluggish from the start. It's only a blip and at least you got the miles in.

Blade - MLR is a medium long run, usually 12-15 miles. Mind you I never do them so don't listen to me!

Tempo run later. My calf is back to normal and I feel the need for a bit of pace

My marathon shoes arrived last week too. They'll be staying in the box for another few weeks before I break them in
07/03/2013 at 06:53
I'm another who doesn't believe in racing the 20m. You don't want to peak too early.

O4S - I see on Fb that another of my running friends has been hit by the lurgy and is complaining of sore lower back, butt and hams.
Edited: 07/03/2013 at 06:56
07/03/2013 at 07:01

My fuelling strategy is a always porridge for breakfast, a banana in the car on the way, maybe a muesli bar or malt loaf as well if it's a late start and chocolate milkshake at the end. 

07/03/2013 at 07:34
No time to read back properly so just a quick hi from me. MLR accomplished, but wasn't the best. It's definitely heating up over here. Even when the sun went down, the breeze is now starting to feel warm rather than cooling. Oh well, I'm hoping my body adjusts to it this time rather than receiving the shock of its life when I started training last June for the TR24...

I had 'digestive issues' within a couple of miles, knew there were loos at the park should I need, but it wore off so I kept going. But I was never really 'comfortable', to be honest, and the last couple of miles I felt horribly bloated and had a stitch. I took one gel at 5 miles and intended to take another at 10 but i thought it would probably not help my stomach so didnt take it. Heart rate was good and i felt really strong at points, but was disappointed to see my average pacing was 9:45. Rest day today, some sort of session tomorrow. Hope everyone's doing well
07/03/2013 at 07:57

Minni:  just our luck, but a slight comfort to know it is something going round and will presumably get out of our systems eventually.  I just feel as if I have never really got back to top form since my first lurgy attack in October.  Must be old age

Blade:  pre-race, for any distance from 10k to 100miles, I have one slice of toast and marmalade, no pre-race gels or energy drinks, just some water. Water only during the race, no gels or energy drinks. Post race [apart from the alcohol!!] anything going - shorter races probably nothing much, longer races a sandwich, banana or tea and cake.

I have just started breaking in my marathon shoes - but only on-road,

07/03/2013 at 08:18
Oompa wrote (see)

Everyone's different pre-run... I opt for porridge with a banana 2-3 hours before the race, then a Lucozade Sport one hour before, topped up with 2 x gels half an hour before the start.

Hi Oompa - I never considered taking gels before a run. I thought the idea of gels was to replenish your levels during the run rather than top them up before you even start to run ? 

Dubai Dave    pirate
07/03/2013 at 08:29

Morning Lots going on as always

Minni: Hope your soon back on form, I've had a snotty nose that won't go away since January! 

SS: Yep its warming up

Last nights 9 miles of "easy" hill work turned into 9 miles at 7-30's with the last two hills considerably quicker. This morning was 2 hours 20 on the cycle track with a friend in a sandstorm... lovely.

Dubai Dave    pirate
07/03/2013 at 08:34

Carterusm: Lots take gels before the start as a pre race boost, cant say I do but lots do so maybe it works.

Minni: still not considering impending chaos, its two months away! The bit I'm not looking forward to is camping in our house for a month whilst our stuff makes its way by slow camel to the UK. So in short its not the leaving here that worries me but the arriving there, sans furniture, car etc etc. On the plus side I got a good deal to fly home BA Business Class so I don't have to mix with the riff raff 

07/03/2013 at 08:45
Carter - I quite often take a gell before a race (not before a normal training run). It's probably all in my head but I do find it makes it a bit easy to hit a good pace from the off. So I would take one before shorter races mainly where speed it more critical. No idea if it really works but I figure it can't hurt!
07/03/2013 at 09:19

Carter- I also often take one get 15min before a race for a final top up/ energy boost. Not sure if it helps but it doesn't do any harm.

Blade- it's porridge with a banana for me before a weekend's LSR. Other morning runs are usually done on empty as there's not enough time in the morning, it doesn't seem to bother me one way or another. Nothing special before evening runs, just normal lunch and then maybe a snack (apple/ banana/a couple of rice cakes) a couple of hours before I set off. Post run it's wine and cider all the way. 

Oompa- sounds like one of the runs you want to forget, well done for sticking it out!

SS- I think you will have to make peace with your pace dropping in hot weather, there's no way around it. If you expect to be running at your normal pace you'll just get frustrated... I am so not looking forward to running in warm weather...

9n easy into work this morning @ 8:14 so slighly on the faster side of easy.

07/03/2013 at 10:30

Morning-bit wet and cold here-back to normal

Oomp-well done for toughing out that 12miler -it will be tough after the quality sessions you did in the few days before and allowing for the weather.

O4S-not another lurgy sufferer-get well quick please-we need your inspiration

Blade-that was an impressive interval session-how did it feel as you did them and then towards the end or was the pace one you could hold consistently to the end?Re MLRs last night pre run 3 shortbread biscuits and a cup of tea psot run a biriani and yoghurt with jam. No beer this time

FRC-some nice running there-watch the achillees though. I know you are a very disciplined runner but wondr if you are tempted to race the 20 as there is still plenty of time to recover-we'll see

Free-make it a 10k tempo

SS-if you have doubts about your stomach and see a loo , use it-Minni will endorse this after her VLM experience

DD-no lightening of the workload I see...youll miss those sandstorms

Bro-another short run I see, just not used to seeing you log less than double digit runs

Easy day today -a swim and maybe a RR later

07/03/2013 at 12:43

easy day for me too, 2old. 6 miles d&d. Slow. Sluggish. Hard work. Hated it

Minni and others: Mr. Chick and my god daughter both had a similar lurgy type thing. Really tired and painful calves, hammies and hips. It went away after a few days without developing into anything. Fingers crossed!

Enjoy the pacy stuff, Freemers

Bladerunner: I'm similar to Bro. Porridge before the Sunday long run otherwise nothing coz I run around 4:30 am . If I were bothering with food beforehand I'd have to get up even earlier and I really can't be arsed ... 

07/03/2013 at 12:47

To clarify, the Lucozade followed by 2 gels is only pre-marathon! If i did that before every run... 

Still feel dodgy today. Legs feel okay, but i'm slightly dehydrated despite drinking loads of water... Must be man-flu on the way! 

Thankfully it's a rest day today and i might swap tomorrow's 5 mile recovery for a swim session?

07/03/2013 at 14:49

DD/Freemers/Brolish - thanks, I guess I will give it a go then !

07/03/2013 at 14:52
Bro - don't let Moz see that "easy" pace

Blade - great pace for those intervals. Do you do longer intervals too - say 800m or 1km reps? Or mile reps too - the longer ones are great for speed enduarance.

Tempo done - 5 miles @ 7.00 - 7.15 with a mile either side for w/u and c/d. Sorry 2old, didn't have time for a full 10k!
07/03/2013 at 14:55

Chick-I dont give myself long enough to make and eat and digest porridge before my LR so make do with Muesli tea and toast. As ever easy days are the hardest

Oomph- Id recommend a swim-I feel a lot better after mine today. Managed my usual 2k and the usual allergic reaction i get is not as extreme this time though it has caused a running nose and a sniff. I have recently started to take a gel before races only because its often a while since Ive eaten and had a warm up run of a few miles so my reserves will have depleted a bit.

07/03/2013 at 17:23

2oldnever - great pace on your mlr yesterday

Oompa - well done for getting through your mlr. You were way faster than I was

Bladerunner - porridge for me pre race. I don't bother with gels other than for a marathon

Last night's MLR was 13m at 8:43 average pace. Tonight is club tempo session.

07/03/2013 at 19:15
Morning guys. Haven't squizzed back too much but hope everyone's ok.

Got my marathon trainers last week too. Asics gel nimbus. Always have been.

Landed yesterday on time and in true style stayed awake and drank til I passed out. Good nights sleep then a 5 miler along the bay and back for marforgodssakei'mawayolous. Off to wine country today.
07/03/2013 at 21:55

Redwood your comeback is going well, you've had some great runs this week

Chick the memory of that session sends a chill down my spine... last one of those out of the way for you now though, just those lovely VO2 max sessions to look forward to!

Pink Mizunos sound lovely Bro, I'm jealous! Hope you have a lovely weekend.

Are you feeling any better today Minni? I still have no number for Sunday.

This morning's 5 miler looked scenic AA!

I got my marathon trainers in December, like AA I've always stuck to the same trainer. I've only worn them for a speed session or two and the occasional race that I've done since then just to make sure they're OK 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.