RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,321 to 27,340 of 37,203 messages
11/03/2013 at 04:44
Morning all. My legs feel massively better today. I slept in my compression socks which must have helped. My shin is tender to touch, but then so is the left one so I'm just hoping it will settle down today with some rest.

AA, wow, that sounds like a fabulous run, vertigo notwithstanding! Travel safely

Sarah, how's your training going this week?

O4S, really glad yesterday's 25 felt better That sounds like a great double to have achieved.

Barry, hope the cross-training goes well this week. Is it this week you said you might try a run?

Blade, that looks like a great 20! You managed some very good pacing despite rubbish conditions so you should take loads of confidence from that. Well done.

Spoons, yay!!! Bet it feels so good to be out and running

KFC, what a week you've had! Must be really good to get a change of scenery and a change to your normal exercise routine. Good luck with your impending 20

Weeble, you're so right about the mood swings. This campaign has really tested me like never before and I've been emotionally all over the place. It's easy to forget when training goes well exactly how hard training for a marathon really is. Going from zero to hero has really made me appreciate how tough it can be for new runners.
11/03/2013 at 04:46

Lol re your mum Weeble! They just don't get it!

KFC - I agree with Weeble - make her work harder!  Did you see the chap we were speaking to in the queue won the race in 67 minutes!! I was talking to him at the end and he didn't even have a sweat on (although come to think of it he had been finished about half an hour!!)  I touched him.  He's the fastest man I've ever touched!

We've had lots of snow here so take care on that bike heading up with way.  Which route are you taking and how far are you going?  I could have put you up here the night.

I finished further down than I thought - 9th position I think and third F40!  I thought I was about 6th and didn't realise there were some speedsters ahead including Alyson Dixon who was 4th overall.   Last year the fastest lady was 1:34!

11/03/2013 at 07:03
Wow - great racing guys!

Minni / Carrot - brilliant from both of you, sounds a bit of a shambolic race...so the castles will be "interesting" at least

FRC - excellent time, really set you up for a huge marathon PB

Blade - perfect pacing, well done

SS - the first 20 is always tough no matter what pace your running. Over 3 hours time on feet is all good miles in the bag, so take it and the next one will feel better!

Oompa - oh no! I hope the rice does the trick. Don't give up on the marathon just yet. See how things feel in the next couple of weeks.

A nice recovery run yesterday in the snow / slush. I had feared it would be mega windy but it wasn't too bad. But overnight we've had more snow, no roads gritted and a very hairy drive to the station this morning - where has Spring gone?
11/03/2013 at 07:55
Spoons - great comeback running

Weeble - lol re 'jogging'... Everytime I mention to my mum I'm doing a race she tells me 'you can always just pull out you know", and then when she came to see me at a half a couple of years ago, her first comment after I finished, delighted after taking 4mins off my pb, was "there were an awful lot of people ahead of you..."
I did try that approach running with her at a parkrun - same thing, she happily picks it up when she can see the finish line, but not before! Its a revelation to me that not everyone gets enjoyment from turning themselves inside out in races!

Minni - he looked like he was a fastie, although I got annoyed at him for trying to push in the registration queue. Some good competition there - any prize for 3rd F40? Was chatting to one guy who said the course was considerably less hilly than last year which must have made the times quicker.
As I'm not racing alloa next week I'm stopping my biking here and getting the train back south tomorrow - the coast route to scotland will wait for another trip
11/03/2013 at 09:08

04S – well done your 2 x 25. I did 6 of my LSR off road and could barely stand up, so how you manage 50 and enjoy the second one more than the first, I’ll never know!

Minni – glad your half went well and that you felt strong. Good to hear you were so much better than last week. Nice touch-stalking too!

Carrot – I don’t think I can ever recall you being anything other than ultra-consistent, you must be feeling very confident about VLM? Always nice to pick people off for most of the way too.

Kfc – I imagine pacing someone to a pb must be almost as satisfying as getting one yourself. Almost. But agree you need to introduce your friend to the chunder monkey!

Oompa – really sorry to hear about your calf. Fingers crossed you have enough time to let it heal and get back in time for VLM.

Barry – I hope if you try your run today that it all goes smoothly, you’re due some luck for all the XT you’ve been putting in

SS – well done on your 20. As Weeble said, the first 20 on comeback is as much psychological as physical. If mine goes as well as yours on Sunday I’ll be very happy

Blade – very consistent splits for your 20, looks like you’re well on track for a good time

FRC  - 2.28 is very speedy, especially if you had plenty left in the tank, well done

AA – glad you enjoyed San Fran and I’m not surprised your liver needs drying out!

An 18 LSR for me this weekend. The first third was off-road on a bog, the second was trying to put my brain sat-nav together to work out a route that didn’t involve any more off-road, and the third was hanging on for grim death.

I broke my 50 mile virginity this week, so it’s not surprising the legs weren’t feeling up to much. Managed to complete in 9.05 avg, which given the first 6 included a 10 min mile trying to climb 100ft in a quagmire, I’m quite happy with.   

11/03/2013 at 09:22

Hello everyone.

Minni and Carrot- great halves from both of you on what sounds like a bit of a nightmarish course...

Minni- glad to hear your confidence is back, that's exactly what you needed at this stage.

KFC- nice pacing and congrats on the result!

Oompa- sorry to hear the calf is playing up, hopefully not all is lost for VLM.

Blade- strong 20 miler from you.

SS- the first 20m is not going to feel easy and I know what you mean about stopping and starting at the traffic lights. It can be hard to get going once you stop in the last couple of miles. You should be very happy with that and as the others say- the next one will feel a lot easier! Hope the shins settle.

Red- nice LSR and good mileage!

FRC- flying as always, great time.

AA- welcome back, sounds like you had a great time.

Weeble- lol, my mom is the same. She always tells me to stop if I feel tired...

11/03/2013 at 09:27

Back from Bruges in one piece and with no travel dramas. Had a great time, it's a lovely place, shame it was so freezing cold!

Quality session planned for tonight with 4m @ MP sandwiched between 2 x 1m @ 10k pace, around 14m in total. I'm pondering popping out for 3 easy miles at lunch time to wake up the legs a bit. I have this nagging feeling that there isn't much time left and I'm not doing enough.

Dubai Dave    pirate
11/03/2013 at 10:53
Hi

Minni; nice 1/2 sounds very disorganised though, there would be riots in Dubai if the changing room didn't come with showers, towels and complimentary shampoo etc ( I'm not joking)

Carrot: nice one

KFC; I guess your friends PB made the 100 miles into a headwind seem worthwhile, I didn't know you we're allowed not to turn yourself inside out in a race

Oompa; ((()))

Blade: good pacing

Spoons: on the road back

SS;nice 20 LR

Cycled 30 miles in another sandstorm, club run tonight.
11/03/2013 at 11:05

Brol You'll be fine. I've done no marathon pace runs or sections at all - apart from yesterday.

Will have a read back, tons of great runs as always..

Edited: 11/03/2013 at 11:11
11/03/2013 at 11:55
Thanks all for your encouragement! You're right, time on feet and ticking off the miles is what counts. Im feeling very glad I managed the run and am hoping the next one will feel less of a struggle.

Speaking of which, i'd really welcome some advice. As I'm on MIUAYGA, I've no plans for my last few long runs. What do people think i should do? I was planning on fitting in one more 20, but perhaps i should do 2 as there are 3 more LRs in March. Also, should i do another one this Sunday or scale back for this week? I have an exam to do on Sunday 24th March but it's only a 2hr multi guess paper 12:00-14:00 so i can still fit in an LSR that evening. I don't want to do it the day before the exam, or the following day as it's my birthday and OH has taken the day off so disappearing for 3 hours wouldn't go down too well. It's just a case of what mileage i do on that day. I'm thinking do 20 next sunday, something less the following week (exam day), and then 20 for last Sunday in March. But please say if you think this is a bad idea......

Red, brilliant LSR and very well paced considering your off road experiences!

Brolish, welcome back So pleased you avoided any travel/weather dramas. The fact you're worried you've not done enough is par for the course, especially when you've worked as hard as you have and are aiming so high. Just put it down to normal running OCD and get out there and hammer your quality sessions. A couple of days' rest will have done you no harm. By the end of this week you'll have forgotten you took a break......
11/03/2013 at 11:58

FRC - Nice 20 sir, you must be pleased with that?

SS & Red - Good long runs guys.

Welcome back Bro, glad you had a good time.

DD - Your skin must be as smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom, the amount of sandstorms you cycle/run through?

Have booked an emergency calf replacement tomorrow, with a guy from my club who recently got his Sports Massage qualifications and we spoke about me going to see him at The Spitfire 20 last weekend... Didn't expect it to be so soon though! 

11/03/2013 at 11:59

I'm feeling .  Hungover and was up most of the night unable to sleep.  Lots of snow here and my worst journey of the winter to work this morning but I had to get here as I've got loads to do.   Got stuck twice and was all over the road when moving.  Was praying I didn't crash and get breathalysed!!

Brol - that session sounds .  Not the MP bit but the 2m @ 10k either side.  I hope I don't get that - it would kill me!

11/03/2013 at 12:01

SSheep- If I were you I would try to fit another 2x 20m in but listen to your body. If you don't feel completely recovered by the end of this week and the shins are still tender, scale down. I think your plan sounds good providing you feel ok.

11/03/2013 at 12:06

Minni- I think I did something similar in the last campaign but with 3m @ MP in the middle. Can't remember how painful it was... Hope the head is not too sore!

Oompa- good luck with the sports massage.

11/03/2013 at 12:34

I probably did it too Brolish but have blanked it from my memory!

11/03/2013 at 12:58

Hi gang, I'm in recovery from a 10 minute walk to the shops. It's so cold out there. Snow was coming down heavily on the way back

11/03/2013 at 13:26

Alright all. Nice racing from the racers - sounds like everyone got what they went for. 50 mile week from you already Red?! Jeez that's come round quickly.

All runs last week were completed successfully and I am starting to think that the training is finally coming together. Last 20 on Sunday and then into the taper.

Cheers, Ant

11/03/2013 at 13:53

Weeble - Yes, hoping for sub 3:30 if possible... Thanks for the words of encouragement. Love the Mum story - mine's the same. I actually dont think she even takes it in. I could tell her I ran 1/2 Marathon in 1hr 20min and she would say "That's brilliant, well done darling". I could tell her I ran a 10K in 1hr and 45 minutes and she would say "That's brilliant, well done darling"!

Some great running / racing stories from the weeknd.

Oompa - good luck with that's sports massage - I struggle with them on a healthy calf

SS - Thanks for the words of encouragement. Horrible conditions out there on Sunday, just pleased to have got through it.

Bro - Welcome back from Bruges

Minni - LOL at the driving to work story!

11/03/2013 at 16:03

Blade - It gets worse... Been told by another club mate that he's a bit of a butcher!!!

Mumma!!

11/03/2013 at 16:11

Oompa - Ouch! Tell him to go easy... Hopefully only a small tear (that's tear as in rip, not tear as in you crying)!

Where in Sussex are you by the way?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.