RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,321 to 27,340 of 36,980 messages
Scuba Trooper    pirate
10/03/2013 at 17:03

Firstly thanks you all for you comments last week. I'm finding it so hard to keep up with this forum especially as I'm just dipping in and out you lot post so much! I will continue to lurk but doubt I'll post very often. I may very excited for you all going for VLM or other spring marathon but its hard to share this when I'm focused on an autumn IM and my training is so out of sink. I am looking forward to your taper madness and if I can get a day pass from the other half I'll come down for the big day in London.

10/03/2013 at 17:13
Ah yes carrot, water station at mile 2 and 12 on the coldest Sunday of the year! Lol
10/03/2013 at 17:15
Yeay, well done Minni. Good to see you feeling positive again after last week.

Carrot, well done in difficult conditions and kfc I probably couldn't run that pace at the moment, let alone after some monster bike miles.

Hope AA, Chick and Brol are enjoying their breaks. Barry, fingers crossed for your run . Hope it means you can mix up the monster cross training sessions with some running.

Oompa, hope the calf isn't anything serious.

SS, you share the highs and lows of coming back from an injury very vividly. Glad there seem to be some more highs lately.

I've had 2 weeks of struggling with motivation. Work v busy, tired, a bit run down and no goals coming up was a bad combination. Thankfully things should be quieter in a couple of weeks and I've kept up the physio exercises so when things do quieten down then should be in a good position to gradually build things back up.
10/03/2013 at 19:38

Oompa, oh no!!!!!!!!!!!  Really sorry to hear about the calf injury rearing its ugly head again.  But you did exactly the right thing stopping when you did so let's hope it's not as bad as you fear.  BTW, I'd love to be "plodding along" at 8.18 m/m right now 

KFC, nicely done   Isn't it a brilliant feeling when you help get someone a PB?  Makes running so worthwhile in a different way 

Minni, yay yay yay   I'm so pleased you had a good race, and, more importantly, feel really good about it!!  As you say, what a difference a week makes. Well done you!  Hope Sunday lunch was gooooooood.

Carrot, whoop whoop   Great performance from you too.  It's so good to hear how well you guys have done, especially given the conditions.

FRC, sorry, I misinterpreted your post   I just read it the wrong way.  Would definitely like to read the link so if you get a chance to re-post, that would be great.  Nice 20 miler today 

Scuba T, it's just good to see you on the thread whenever!  You're a real inspiration so just post whenever you feel like it and let us know how you're doing.  Are you doing the TR24 again this year?  I'm really sorry I'm going to miss it  

Becs, well done for keeping going with the physio exercises   Motivation can be so hard to find when you don't have a goal on the horizon.  Just eye up some time when you can start getting back into it and hopefully the extra rest will have helped the healing process.

So I did my first 20 today.  It all went really well, I felt strong, heart rate high 130s to low 140s for most of it, I took it slowly (9.30 m/m) and all was good - until the last 2 miles.  For some reason, I was finding stopping and starting again at traffic lights really tough.  So I slowed right down, did a 10.10 m/m then 9.52 to get me home.  My legs feel really battered   So I'm not quite sure what to make of it.  Good news is no calf pain, but I am getting a bit of shin splint type pain.  I've stretched and iced this evening and I'm sporting my best compression gear so I'll see how it is tomorrow.  

DD, this could be another epic fail on my part regarding making it to the Milers tomorrow evening   Can I just turn up for post-run beers......??

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 19:39
10/03/2013 at 19:39
Just popping in to say a massive well done to carrot and minni. Sounds like nasty conditions. And you both sounded really comfortable too

Oompa - hope its not too bad.

I did my 15 miles in Friday up along the bay and half way over Golden Gate Bridge, had an bit of vertigo so headed back. All ok and a memorable run. Hiked yesterday and am travelling home today and couldn't be bothered to run. So 1 down on marchsosorryolous. I need to dry out this week.
10/03/2013 at 20:15
Congratulations racers in awful weather conditions. The organisation of that Northumberland half sounded horrendous and dangerous in places.

Sorry to hear about your calf oompa, I hope it isnt anything serious and you make a quick recovery.

AA I'm so jealous....I've a thing for bridges and would love to see, let alone run across golden gate

SS I hope your compression gear work their magic
Edited: 10/03/2013 at 20:18
10/03/2013 at 20:17

SS:  I regularly have runs like that, onward and upward - don't push yourelf too hard

Carrot / Minni:well done the girls, fantastic times

Oompa:   Take care

I'm feeling very happy tonight - another off-road 25 miler today and despite it being the second of two I felt infinitely better than yesterday and was running much more smoothly with just a slight ache in my left glute / hamstring as compared to the all out pain in both legs and aching back yesterday.  Goodness knows why but I am feeling a lot more cheerful and ready to get back to some quality miles which have been sadly missing thia last week

KFC:  great pace judgement - can I book you for a race once you are fully fit again??

10/03/2013 at 20:56

O4S -  Well done on the long double.

Oompa - Bad news about the calf, hope its a quick recovery.

kfc - Well run and congrats to your friend.

Minni/Carrot -  Very good running on a difficult day and course.

FRC - Nice time on your 20, looking good for VLM.

SS -  Take condidence from your run, that's your first 20 for a while.

10/03/2013 at 21:06

Evening all,

Minni - Northumberland Half sounds like one to avoid!

Oompa - Hope that's just a small tear. If you're questioning VLM in six weeks you obviously think its a bad one?

AA - Sooo jealous of your scenic run. Have always wanted to visit San Fran, let alone run there!

20 mile 'race' for me today but took everyone's advice and ran it in two halves. Was quite hard to pace given the horrendous headwind at every turn! My longest run ever though so just pleased to get the miles under my belt. A massive roast and a bloody Mary helped me to feel half way normal again! Splits below:

1 8:14; 2 8:27; 3 8:20; 4 8:08; 5 8:04; 6 8:09; 7 8:21; 8 8:04; 9 8:09; 10 8:05; 11 7:42; 12 7:47; 13 7:42; 14 7:39; 15 7:49; 16 7:35; 17 7:54; 18 7:46; 19 7:56; 20 7:26

Edited: 10/03/2013 at 21:15
10/03/2013 at 22:21

Evening. 

Carrot - awesome well done.

KFC - nice pacing

Good long runs everyone. 

I managed 1:15 minutes at 10:00 pace. Feeling good about running again. May try 1:20 on Tuesday....

10/03/2013 at 22:30
O4S - I doubt very much you need any help from me with pacing! Good to hear you had good run mojo today

FRC, Blade - nice 20's

SS - I'd expect to feel pretty battered after a comeback 20 like that (and I'll be finding out soon myself!) - with that one in the bank the next will be much easier

Yep, my friend is delighted with her pb. I've just taken my pacer payment in the form of curry and beer! I'm still convinced she can go a lot faster - I find her approach to races really interesting - despite having done loads of halfs, she still approaches them as something she's not sure she can complete, so holds back to make sure she finishes, rather than push herself for the best time she can get. Even though she thought she was pushing herself today she was still able to chat easily all through the race. I think I need to work out how to introduce her to the wonderful world of running so hard you vom...
10/03/2013 at 22:41

Oompa RICE, RICE, RICE and try to stay positive - think how quickly Carrot came back from her minor tear.

KFC nice sherpa-ing. It does sound like you could push her further though. Does she always run halves? Maybe you could sign her up for a 3k or 5k and pace her till she pukes?

Minni, great run in tough conditions. And glad to hear it's helped your confidence bounce back. I think marathon training is so tough that these big swings in mood and performance week to week are probably to be expected.  

Great run for you too Carrot, always nice to finish strong and reel others in. Just think how much easier it will all feel in six weeks when you're tapered and not running through wind/snow/floods.

2old unfortunately I need patience not stretching. Took my mum out today for lunch. She spent a good chunk of it lecturing me for trying to get back into the "jogging".

FRC nice 20 miler, what's your target for the 10k?

SS rest up well and do what you need to do help recover. It's a big psychological boost I think to get the first 20 in the bag, but it's easy to forget how tough they can be.

Bladerunner, that's a speedy training session. I think I missed your target for MP, are you aiming for quicker than 3.30?

11/03/2013 at 04:44
Morning all. My legs feel massively better today. I slept in my compression socks which must have helped. My shin is tender to touch, but then so is the left one so I'm just hoping it will settle down today with some rest.

AA, wow, that sounds like a fabulous run, vertigo notwithstanding! Travel safely

Sarah, how's your training going this week?

O4S, really glad yesterday's 25 felt better That sounds like a great double to have achieved.

Barry, hope the cross-training goes well this week. Is it this week you said you might try a run?

Blade, that looks like a great 20! You managed some very good pacing despite rubbish conditions so you should take loads of confidence from that. Well done.

Spoons, yay!!! Bet it feels so good to be out and running

KFC, what a week you've had! Must be really good to get a change of scenery and a change to your normal exercise routine. Good luck with your impending 20

Weeble, you're so right about the mood swings. This campaign has really tested me like never before and I've been emotionally all over the place. It's easy to forget when training goes well exactly how hard training for a marathon really is. Going from zero to hero has really made me appreciate how tough it can be for new runners.
11/03/2013 at 04:46

Lol re your mum Weeble! They just don't get it!

KFC - I agree with Weeble - make her work harder!  Did you see the chap we were speaking to in the queue won the race in 67 minutes!! I was talking to him at the end and he didn't even have a sweat on (although come to think of it he had been finished about half an hour!!)  I touched him.  He's the fastest man I've ever touched!

We've had lots of snow here so take care on that bike heading up with way.  Which route are you taking and how far are you going?  I could have put you up here the night.

I finished further down than I thought - 9th position I think and third F40!  I thought I was about 6th and didn't realise there were some speedsters ahead including Alyson Dixon who was 4th overall.   Last year the fastest lady was 1:34!

11/03/2013 at 07:03
Wow - great racing guys!

Minni / Carrot - brilliant from both of you, sounds a bit of a shambolic race...so the castles will be "interesting" at least

FRC - excellent time, really set you up for a huge marathon PB

Blade - perfect pacing, well done

SS - the first 20 is always tough no matter what pace your running. Over 3 hours time on feet is all good miles in the bag, so take it and the next one will feel better!

Oompa - oh no! I hope the rice does the trick. Don't give up on the marathon just yet. See how things feel in the next couple of weeks.

A nice recovery run yesterday in the snow / slush. I had feared it would be mega windy but it wasn't too bad. But overnight we've had more snow, no roads gritted and a very hairy drive to the station this morning - where has Spring gone?
11/03/2013 at 07:55
Spoons - great comeback running

Weeble - lol re 'jogging'... Everytime I mention to my mum I'm doing a race she tells me 'you can always just pull out you know", and then when she came to see me at a half a couple of years ago, her first comment after I finished, delighted after taking 4mins off my pb, was "there were an awful lot of people ahead of you..."
I did try that approach running with her at a parkrun - same thing, she happily picks it up when she can see the finish line, but not before! Its a revelation to me that not everyone gets enjoyment from turning themselves inside out in races!

Minni - he looked like he was a fastie, although I got annoyed at him for trying to push in the registration queue. Some good competition there - any prize for 3rd F40? Was chatting to one guy who said the course was considerably less hilly than last year which must have made the times quicker.
As I'm not racing alloa next week I'm stopping my biking here and getting the train back south tomorrow - the coast route to scotland will wait for another trip
11/03/2013 at 09:08

04S – well done your 2 x 25. I did 6 of my LSR off road and could barely stand up, so how you manage 50 and enjoy the second one more than the first, I’ll never know!

Minni – glad your half went well and that you felt strong. Good to hear you were so much better than last week. Nice touch-stalking too!

Carrot – I don’t think I can ever recall you being anything other than ultra-consistent, you must be feeling very confident about VLM? Always nice to pick people off for most of the way too.

Kfc – I imagine pacing someone to a pb must be almost as satisfying as getting one yourself. Almost. But agree you need to introduce your friend to the chunder monkey!

Oompa – really sorry to hear about your calf. Fingers crossed you have enough time to let it heal and get back in time for VLM.

Barry – I hope if you try your run today that it all goes smoothly, you’re due some luck for all the XT you’ve been putting in

SS – well done on your 20. As Weeble said, the first 20 on comeback is as much psychological as physical. If mine goes as well as yours on Sunday I’ll be very happy

Blade – very consistent splits for your 20, looks like you’re well on track for a good time

FRC  - 2.28 is very speedy, especially if you had plenty left in the tank, well done

AA – glad you enjoyed San Fran and I’m not surprised your liver needs drying out!

An 18 LSR for me this weekend. The first third was off-road on a bog, the second was trying to put my brain sat-nav together to work out a route that didn’t involve any more off-road, and the third was hanging on for grim death.

I broke my 50 mile virginity this week, so it’s not surprising the legs weren’t feeling up to much. Managed to complete in 9.05 avg, which given the first 6 included a 10 min mile trying to climb 100ft in a quagmire, I’m quite happy with.   

11/03/2013 at 09:22

Hello everyone.

Minni and Carrot- great halves from both of you on what sounds like a bit of a nightmarish course...

Minni- glad to hear your confidence is back, that's exactly what you needed at this stage.

KFC- nice pacing and congrats on the result!

Oompa- sorry to hear the calf is playing up, hopefully not all is lost for VLM.

Blade- strong 20 miler from you.

SS- the first 20m is not going to feel easy and I know what you mean about stopping and starting at the traffic lights. It can be hard to get going once you stop in the last couple of miles. You should be very happy with that and as the others say- the next one will feel a lot easier! Hope the shins settle.

Red- nice LSR and good mileage!

FRC- flying as always, great time.

AA- welcome back, sounds like you had a great time.

Weeble- lol, my mom is the same. She always tells me to stop if I feel tired...

11/03/2013 at 09:27

Back from Bruges in one piece and with no travel dramas. Had a great time, it's a lovely place, shame it was so freezing cold!

Quality session planned for tonight with 4m @ MP sandwiched between 2 x 1m @ 10k pace, around 14m in total. I'm pondering popping out for 3 easy miles at lunch time to wake up the legs a bit. I have this nagging feeling that there isn't much time left and I'm not doing enough.

Dubai Dave    pirate
11/03/2013 at 10:53
Hi

Minni; nice 1/2 sounds very disorganised though, there would be riots in Dubai if the changing room didn't come with showers, towels and complimentary shampoo etc ( I'm not joking)

Carrot: nice one

KFC; I guess your friends PB made the 100 miles into a headwind seem worthwhile, I didn't know you we're allowed not to turn yourself inside out in a race

Oompa; ((()))

Blade: good pacing

Spoons: on the road back

SS;nice 20 LR

Cycled 30 miles in another sandstorm, club run tonight.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.