RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,401 to 27,420 of 37,335 messages
13/03/2013 at 10:06
Spoons, fab running, get in there
Carrot, all weather track?? Rubbish! Well done for kicking the CNBA fairy into touch and getting out there
Oompa, ((()))
Brolish, so annoying when work gets in the way, but at least you fitted the RR in!
2old, it was the headwind wot slowed you down Or maybe your legs were protesting against the cold?
FRC, thanks so much for reposting the link. I will have a look at it later. Not sure i will manage the marathon speeds you're mentioning, but McMillan does agree with you. Hmm, I'm going to mull pace over for a while and see how i feel in a couple of weeks. Great racing by you I love the way your head suddenly clicked into it and you were away. Nice to feel like you didn't push too hard either. Lots of confidence to be gained from that.
DD, top effort on the swim class front. Can't believe you don't know Countdown! It's a Channel 4 institution for the more erudite unemployed - and students.
Col, great track session
AA, brilliant 'minni special'. Im sure you will be flying come the weekend. And what's the worst that can happen? If you don't make your time, there will always be another race Just give it all you've got on the day and be proud of your running.
13/03/2013 at 10:09
MLR for me. As i did 20 on Sun and am possibly doing another 20 the following Sun, and also ran a good tempo last night, i though I'd cut back tonight. Does 13 miles sound OK or should I run less than that?
13/03/2013 at 10:24

SS-Building up some nice runs there.Im not sure doing 1-2 miles less makes a difference really. I think I remember Moz saying he wasnt convinced by MLRs anyway and that what mattered more were a quantity of quality 10 milers. I hope I undertood his point properly. Yes it was cold but I didnt really feel it apart from the tips of my thumbs even wearing gloves.

13/03/2013 at 10:28

Morning all...

Minni - 9th lady! Very impressive indeed...

Brolish - empathise with you on the work front... Things are very busy at the moment so it's constantly getting in the way. Especially when you have suitable fuelled before the run, only to have a meeting put in your diary!

2old - great way of breaking down the marathon like that... Are you hoping for sub 3hrs?

FRC - CBA fairy? GFA? Great 20 miler

Barry - sorry to hear about the injury... Speedy recovery

Col - nice track session and great pace

AA - Great little session from you, surely that instills confidence?!

Was completely snowed in yesterday but managed to get out and do a 5 miler with the 3 middle miles at slightly quicker than MP. Am planning my first ever track session at lunchtime today. 4 x 2K at sub 7:00mm with 200m recoveries. No idea what to expect from the track... Presume people don't use the GPS element of their watches and just work on time?

Dubai Dave    pirate
13/03/2013 at 10:44

AA: Yep it was Seth the Sadistic Swim Coach, he's still mean! The second set of 4 x 150M off 10 second recoveries all out effort were truely horrendous, BUT I did finish them. Be Positive you did the Minni session now go and slay the dragon. 

2OLD: That was my first truely hard effort swimming for two years, I do speed sets on my own  in the pool but never ever push as hard as when Seth is screaming and the ladies behind me are threatening to start tapping my toes. Bike wise I just do miles with hill repeats thrown in, the only speed work I do is on race day. Running I don't have time for real recovery runs as I only run three times a week, my LR is as close as I come if 20 miles can be called a recovery run

SS: The erudite unemployed.... thats me then Your doing some nice running there. 

Blade: No need for GPS on a track, you know how far you've run by the marks. 

Edited: 13/03/2013 at 10:46
13/03/2013 at 10:51

Blade-sub3?-in my dreams! I cant even break sub 40 for 10k .

DD-dont know about erudite , how about loquacious ? Impressive recovery runs.

Dubai Dave    pirate
13/03/2013 at 11:01

2Old: I don't think anyone who has met me would call me loquacious, I tend to be a man of very few spoken words

13/03/2013 at 11:16

Col - Hopefully no more than a week/10 days. SS has very kindly sent me a link to a P&D training schedule for aqua-running, which i didn't think i'd be able to do as my gym pool is shallow (chest height), but apparently this is not an issue, so i've ordered an aqua belt this morning and preparing to feel like a child with a float again!

Barry - Quite right, hopefully i can keep my fitness levels and only have a 2-week taper and that should do it. Here's hoping?

Blade - Well done for getting out in the snow. It was horrendous! 

CBA = Can't be ars*d!

GFA = Good for age

Taking 2old's advice and resting today... RICE, compression garments, chocolate, red wine, horse burgers etc...

13/03/2013 at 11:25
2old, so does Moz mean running only 10 miles as a substitute for an MLR, so 10m easy/steady pace, or does he mean running 10m inclucing some pace work within it? So for example, 2m warm up, 6m@mp, 2 mile cool down? Im not sure i want to do any MP work after my tempo last night.
13/03/2013 at 11:49

SS-now thats something I dont know -he just gave the impression that they were not that important in his opinion- if I was improvising I would do what you suggest and on another occasion do some tempo mileage in it , on another some MP ,on another some intervals, on another some fartleck etc. Maybe if hes stalking us he might comment. As I am following P&D Im doing the MLRs so dont let me put you off them

13/03/2013 at 11:56

Hi gang. I spun my car off the road this morning on the ice and ended up in a ditch. Amazingly I am absolutely fine although a bit shaken. I am currently thinking about missing my gym session tonight and going out on the lash instead as recovery....

13/03/2013 at 11:58

SS - FWIW I have never done a MLR...just don't have time in the week to fit one in. I have very occasionally done 10 miles mid-week, at a steady pace. But generally my max apart from the LSR is 8. I can't say of course whether I would benefit from doing them, I'll never know!

13/03/2013 at 11:59

X-post...spoons - scary stuff. Glad you're OK. Have that drink!

13/03/2013 at 12:00
Thanks, 2old. As I'm winging this marathon and not really going all out for a specific time, i think i will stick with my plan of a shorter MLR and do 13 tonight, but if Moz is around, it would be really useful to hear his thoughts.
13/03/2013 at 12:03

Freemers - what is your plan for Cranleigh next week, if you don't mind me asking?

13/03/2013 at 12:04
X-post spoons and freemers. Spoons, i don't know why you're only thinking about missing your gym session - go hit the bottle!!! So glad you're ok.

Free, that's really useful, thank you. I am thinking the mileage is probably useful to me right now given that I've no base miles in my legs. But it is all good info to take on board for my next campaign....
13/03/2013 at 12:27

AA - take your mind back to the couple of days after Wokingham and get back into that frame of mind.  Nothing has changed and your 'Minni' session this morning proves that.  In my opinion it doesn't matter to your marathon what time you run on Sunday because you've already bagged a great half time so go for it and if its not happening then back off?  You're in great shape so 1:30 should be yours for the taking.

Spoons - hope you're ok.  You do get a nasty shock. 

13/03/2013 at 12:48

SS/2old - I remember the talk about the MLR.  I have only been doing 12m this campaign and some of these have been split into 6/6.  I've done a couple of 14 but not many.  I haven't put any MP miles into these, or the long runs come to think of it, and with only 5 weeks to go I'm starting to feel a bit uneasy about my lack of marathon preparation!! So if Moraghan is about perhaps he can tell me all will be ok!! lol

SS - if I was you I'd just do the 10 at a nice easy pace.  You're doing loads and you had a great session last night.

When I look back I did lots of shorter MP work in the taper last year so I guess there's still a bit of time....

Dubai Dave    pirate
13/03/2013 at 12:49

Spoons: Go on the lash

SS: I have never done MLR for any of the marathons I have done, but often do 8 - 10 mile tempo runs at 1/2M pace. However others have thought that MLR's have been very beneficial. As always we come back to the point that we are all an experiment of one so what works for one maynot for another. The obvious answer is try this marathon without MLR's and include them for the next one.

13/03/2013 at 13:13

Spoons:  another vote for going on the lash

SS:  I'm with Freemers on MLRs - just don't have time, and although I am no longer threatening 3.30 I really don't think it would make that much difference as long as you are keeping active [I cycle to and from work every day]. Then again perhaps I could have been Paula Radcliffe.................

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.