RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,601 to 27,620 of 37,587 messages
18/03/2013 at 11:15

Morning all  slightly hungover

Oops - definitely be careful. Leave the reps for a bit, try a few days of easy running and see how your calf can handle it first before you make decision re half.

18/03/2013 at 11:16

Can't get an appointment with the Osteo until next week so will just take it easy for a few days and do lots of stretching [thanks for the advice on sauna / steam room KFC, but last time I tried that I passed out with the heat .  Getting helped out by a couple of fit lads was the only positive..............

Body just feels a bit knackered this morning plus back & hams still ache a bit, so just hoping the Osteo will work his magic.  I'm going to skip intervals this week and do gentle runs, then a 25 and 20 planned for the weekend, but off-road and ultra slow - moving across Devon to recce half of the route of our 100 mile event.

One good thing that came out of yesterday was that my time was closer to my predicted 20 time for Jantastic than I expected - so I won't have to time another one.

18/03/2013 at 11:25

Reading Half:

Got soaked to the skin standing on the start line with Bro. I was determined to get a good start with @20k runners (Only 13k started/ finished though). The rain was heavy. I decided I was just gonna go for it from the off. Messed around with my garmin, hit start and stop on the line, and it was bleeping before each mile as I didn't manual lap as I don't trust myself, so anyway I decided to ignore it and "run naked" the whole way . So my splits are not worth much:
6:34
6;37
6:56 - slight uphill
6:24 - university area, puddles in road!
6:28 - downhill into town centre
6:34 - town centre - nice wet atmosphere! I think I went over the 10k marker @41 mins
6:48
7:07 - uphill
6:51 - gel time
6:46 - downhill
6:46 - A33 dual carriqgeway into the rain bigtime but pushed on
6:51 - OMG, I might do this
6:54
last bit into stadium 6:26 pace. Watch recorded time of 1:28:55 but official results are 1:29:06. Still dead chuffed with that. I ran old school trying to work out what time I should be hitting each mile at. i liked that. Running on feel. Might bin the garmin now!!

18/03/2013 at 11:26

Oompa - agree with ant - its probably best you have more of a controlled environment when you try running in case anything goes wrong. 

For info, I did hastings a few years back as an LSR (ok, it was my longest run before VLM that year ).  Yep, the first half is all gradually up, and the second half mainly down with one rather steep down which is tough on the legs.  While its not completely flat (if you want that, race lydd instead), I'd wouldnt say its definitely not a pb course.

18/03/2013 at 11:26

O4S - looks like a sensible plan for the week. Be careful and get some rest!

18/03/2013 at 11:30

Jeez AA.  Thats a world of fast.  You are so getting me inspired for my training this summer.

18/03/2013 at 11:36

AA & 2Old – really well done on your HM times, they’re absolutely fantastic and a testimony to all of the hard work you’ve been putting in. Great reports too - you’re both going to nail VLM!

Bro – really hope a bit of rest helps your shins. 1.34 is still a fantastic time given all of the obstacles you had to face.

Freemers – well done on 2nd lady, sounds like a pretty horrible run so at least you got something good out of it!

04S – sorry I missed Gloucester. If I’d have run I think we’d have gone around in tandem and been in similar trouble as I knew my legs had nothing in them for the hills.  Well done on 1st F60 & hope the pain eases a bit as the week goes on with your 20 & 25 planned for the weekend.

Thanks for all of the kind words on my Dad. I haven’t read all of the way back as haven’t had time, but my Dad was in surgery all Saturday afternoon. They were trying to get a growth out but couldn’t get it all, so he needs to go in again and we’re awaiting the results of the biopsy to see whether it’s benign or not. He’s from the age where you don’t complain, so the one bit of good news is that he was going to wait until his prescribed appointment on Thursday – they said if he had, he wouldn’t be here today so that’s a small mercy at least. He also had a very bad fall in hospital on Wednesday too as he hadn’t eaten for a week and badly cut his head and knocked out a couple of his teeth so all in all, not great.

I’ve barely slept a wink all week, but wanted to get out and go as far as I could on Sunday. I honestly didn’t think I’d make 10 let alone 20 and needed to be at the hospital in the morning so the Gloucester 20 had to go. I got up at 6 and did it off of no fuelling at all. I thought I was going to keel over for the first 6 as the week caught up with me - it felt like I was hallucinating - but then I hit a rhythm, and when I got to 15 I thought what the hell. I’ve no idea what my MP is likely to be as haven't raced, but I did the last 5 (more in frustration/emotion I think) in 8.10, 8.06, 7.55, 7.48 & 7.47 to finish the 20 in 2.52 and an 8.36 average.

I’m not going to get a chance to race before MK, so am thinking I should go off at 8.20s and see what happens. Given I hadn’t run for 5 months and couldn’t do 2 miles at Christmas, I think I’ll be happy with that.

18/03/2013 at 11:47

kfc - It's not so much that i want a pb course, more that i want to see where i am speed and endurance wise?

Ant - I've never run a 5k in my life... I don't think my legs can turn fast enough!  

Thanks for the advice, i'll give the race a miss but if all goes well will find a last minute.com race instead.

18/03/2013 at 12:19

Red, massive hugs to you ((()))  Sounds like you've had a really rough time of it.  Sometimes being a supportive family member can be harder than being the sick person.  I really hope you get some good news very soon on your Dad's health.  Your 20 sounds brilliant in extremely testing circumstances so when it gets tough during MK, just think back to that 20 and how you kicked butt and you will get there.

Oompa, very wise to ditch the race.  Your priority at this stage is your A race, not B races.  I think you have too much to lose by going all out right now so just focus on getting back in the game and keeping that calf out of trouble.  As for even contemplating running a half 2 weeks before VLM....

KFC, I'm not really sure a 1 minute PB counts as aiming big, but right now it feels like it is!!!  I'm going with the theory that when I ran 3:45, it felt really easy and so aiming for 3:30 was realistic but challenging.  Now, at this stage of the game with way fewer miles in my legs, it is 3:45 which feels like a massive challenge and only after my LSR yesterday did it feel realistic.  But I am excited that it's even a possibility   Really sorry to hear you're still feeling under the weather   Great news about your friend, though.  Has she been converted to racing til you puke yet??? 

AA, loving your old school approach!  It definitely worked.  Congrats again!

18/03/2013 at 13:09

Oompa - Take it easy with the calf, stay away from hills for the first few runs.

Red - Well done for getting out on your 20, hope everything works out OK for your dad.

SS -  What's wrong with running a HM 2 weeks before VLM? I'm doing the White Horse HM, don't worry I'm not planning to race it, only plan at the moment is to be actually running by then.

18/03/2013 at 13:25

(((Red))), massive hugs. Hope there is good news soon.

Speed Sheep you will be fine at VLM. Just be confident, decide on a plan..

AA - Great splits, liking the naked running. Nothing wrong with old school.

2old - Phenomenal time yesterday, really was perfect conditions - Loads usually worry about the seafront wind against them but yesterday was ideal. I'm sure you will smash the 10k 40 minute mark at some point, probably even go sub 39. Just a matter of time - but it really doesn't matter - Half & marathons you clearly have the speed endurance for. Target for VLM, low 3:0x now, really go for it?

Oompa, don't risk the halves. Play it smart and just run? PS. There was an umpa lumpa (?) yesterday in full costume and I did wonder for a few seconds...

Freemers wrote (see)

FRC - your pal has seriously improved then....I hope you take some of the credit

Oh No, not really.. Think he is the one moving one leg in front of the other after all Definitely helped him with the autumn marathon doing all long runs together even when I wasn't doing one, nearly identical training Tue/Thu/Sun. The difference is from around Nov, whilst I rested and did 10ks, halfs, ultras and generally skived off , he did all the Cross Country races (guess they'd be classed as an LT session). We both did the 5 league road races and very close finishes +-10-20 seconds ahead or behind. Speed wise something kicked up around Feb and flying since then so 1:25-1:27 seemed likely. Still amazing to see it though.

Marathon wise though, he has only done one 20 miler for Manchester week after VLM fitting all those races in, and on low 20-30 miles a week. Going to be interesting to see different completion rates. He is a young un though 

Had a tough PT session this morning, some sprinting technique, heavy front squats, single leg TRX, lots of core work. Made sure I redressed the balance with a bacon & egg on toast as reward.

Edited: 18/03/2013 at 13:27
18/03/2013 at 13:41

Sun's shining here today

Will run later

Hope everyone's DOMS aren't too bad...

18/03/2013 at 13:52
Getting fed up of RW reposting my posts....

Barry, sorry, i should have specified not RACING a half!!! I'm sure your plan will work out well.

FRC, I'm confessing to feeling massively underconfident, but I've never let that stop me from giving anything a try so I'm going to commit to it and give it a go.
Edited: 18/03/2013 at 13:57
18/03/2013 at 13:54

Oh.my.word AA!  You are flying at the moment  A sub 1:30 half!!  My goodness. Well deserved and over the moon for ya!!  Great splits too - course sounds challenging!

Bro: sorry to hear about your shins. I'd kill for a 1:34 HM time, so don't beat yourself up too much. Hope the shins get sorted. Time to change shoes perhaps?

Some brilliant long runs by carrot and speed sheep yesterday .

Oomps: I probably missed it while I was away - has your calf started to play up again? What a bummer. Hope the aqua thingie helps. Don't do any speedwork right now. Settle back into running with something nice and easy. Better to bag a number of consistent (but slow) runs now rather than trying to pick up where you left off, get injured again and miss even more running.

Ant: taper time already ! Wow, that has come around quick!

O4S: ouch - epic 20 mile battle with a sore back. Not sure I would have gotten round if that had happened to me. Congrats on the bling though!

2old & Freemers: enjoyed the reports very much. Freemers, I really felt for you reading about the wind and nobody to tuck in behind. That's hard. 2old, those splits are simply mindboggling. I'm happy to see splits like that when I do interval training ...  but never ever continuously over 13.1 miles

Minni: that's one helluva week!

kfc: poor you - hope you get better soon. I found a 10k next Saturday but it would be a 2 hour drive just getting there. Not sure it's worth it. I may just do a solo time trial on the track.

(((Redders)))  your poor dad . Crossing my fingers for some positive news. That was a great run against the odds.

Edited: 18/03/2013 at 13:56
18/03/2013 at 14:23

Redders - tough times for you and your family. Hope you get some good news soon.

Barry B wrote (see)

SS -  What's wrong with running a HM 2 weeks before VLM? I'm doing the White Horse HM, don't worry I'm not planning to race it, only plan at the moment is to be actually running by then.

I've just entered the Bungay HM which is a week before VLM . It's one of my favourite events - I will be strolling round!

No DOMS here - 7 miles easy d&d

18/03/2013 at 14:34

Freemers - why not do the marathon?

18/03/2013 at 14:35
I'm clearly over-cautious - or just a wimp
18/03/2013 at 14:45

Red - Sorry to hear the news about your dad. Fingers crossed, you get some good news soon after what sounds like a horrendous week. Cracking 20 btw.

Barry - The only way i can avoid hills where i live is the dm... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... Oh, alright then! 

FRC - Must've been Loompa of the North?

Presumably, he pulled up, holding his calf? 

18/03/2013 at 14:45
Freemers wrote (see)

I've just entered the Bungay HM which is a week before VLM . It's one of my favourite events - I will be strolling round!

Yeah, right ...  

18/03/2013 at 14:48

Hmmm... why has my previous post spread right across the page???

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.