RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,621 to 27,640 of 37,320 messages
18/03/2013 at 15:07

Ant-thanks for the no and reminder-what shirt do I look out for? or are you running in a suit of armour etc?

Red-what a tough time -feel for you-fingers crossed too.That 20 was superb in the circumstances and probably very theraputic

Oomp-not sub 3 ,Im afraid-at best I look at double HM and 10/11 mins so possibly 3.05 if I have the nerve to go for it .FRC is more realistic here I think but its a big frightening call. If I was you I would take it easy in your first week. Do some easy runs on the TM then build up.Avoid hills and intervals. I wouldnt bother with intervals from now on just stick with easy paced endurance work building up gradually. Youve done so much  getting here and a bit of interval or hill work carry more  risks than the reward to be gained

FRC-getting to hear a lot about others training-what have you been up to and where do you see yourself at VLM? Two or three weeks wont make a huge impact on the outcome. Yes the conditions were perfect yestrday

Chick-it can be done

Spoons-no DOMS here either but not as ambitious as Free doing 7.

Free-looks like you are doing a race a week throughout this campaign. My schedule says 13 miles then -easy easy easy..!

SS- I think youll do very well and shouldnt have any trouble getting a time to get you in next year. Confidence! Youll have the added advantage of running in a cooler climate relative to where you train.

50 mins spinning-26.35km- and just over 4 miles TM easy pace

18/03/2013 at 15:08

Oomp-love the Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

18/03/2013 at 15:20

2old - just making up for lost time from 2011/12 when I hardly raced at all.  And the HM will DEFINITELY be easy easy easy pace...no chance of any bling

18/03/2013 at 15:28

Hello everyone.

Ant- enjoy taper madness!

O4S- congrats on the bling, hope your back is better today.

2Old- brilliant report and some scarily fast reps! Sub 40min 10k is surely on the cards soon.

Minni- I'm very jealous about your mega week.

FRC- hope Mrs FRC is ok.

AA- great report. Damn those splits look fast!!! Very impressed with your old school approach, I would totally freak out without my garmin.

Red- so sorry to hear about your dad. Virtual hugs. Great LSR.

OOmpa- another vote for taking it easy in the first few runs.

18/03/2013 at 15:34

Slight DOMS for me today. The shins seem to have calmed down, but that's not surprising, they always seem to calm down and then kick off again as soon as I start running... I really want to believe that a few days' rest can resolve it against all the advice I've read which seems to suggest minimum 2 weeks of complete rest.

On a positive note yesterday's result is my official pb since when I ran 20s faster I ran as Weeble and not myself.

18/03/2013 at 15:50

Bro-how long have the 'shin splints 'been troubling you? Are you concerned the problem is becoming ever present? Nice way to PB too. Hope youre right about the 10k

AA-excellent splits-only one with a 7 at the front-annoying?-looks like a HM of two halves there. On looking back would you have run it any differently ?

Free-you win bling even when say you arent trying!

18/03/2013 at 15:56

Bro - can you run a half as me please?  I fancy a new pb! 

Redwood - what a 20.  Hope you are looking after yourself too.

I've just found a great way to cheer my poor ill body up.  Just entered me and OH into the Alpe d'Huez tri.  I'm sure he'll be pleased.   Now to work out our cycling route to get there   .  Already looking forward to passing guys on carbon TT bikes on my touring bike...

18/03/2013 at 15:59

2old- they troubled me big time when I started running but then it cleared completely and I had no issues for a couple of years. I think it started kicking off again when I got back from Whistler and getting progressively worse. Because they only always hurt the first few miles until I've warmed up it's been easy to ignore it and ignoring it seemed to do the trick the first time round... I am concerned because yesterday they hurt like hell AFTER the race, not just during the first few miles. And I'm a bit fed up with hurting in the first few miles of every run. I am not sure why it's happening. I haven't increased the mileage or intensity this time round, if anything my mileage has dropped a bit...

18/03/2013 at 16:42

KFC - let me have your route when you work it out and I'll send you our route to the Tourmalet!

Major DOMS down this way.

Redders ((( )))   Pity we din't get a chance to stagger round together, I would have enjoyed your company.

Bro take it easy

Ooompa: to trust in the training you need to have done some

2old: that is indecently fast and ditto AA

18/03/2013 at 17:50
Meant to say, AA - it doesn't matter if it was 1.28.xx or 1.29.xx, the important thing is you're now entitled to count in minutes so it's an 8x.xx . BTW - Champ start for you at VLM 2014?
18/03/2013 at 17:53

Brol, hope you're feeling a bit better. what is the plan for this week and have you told coach about shins? Any changes, shoes, insoles? Unusual shin splints to start if no changes.

I had shin splints but probably 2003. long time ago.

2old Still aiming for sub 3:15 but haven't pinned my hat on a time yet, would be happy with 3:14:59 . And you get lots about what I'm doing, Personal training sesh this am and even my choice of reward. I'll dig the details about that 10k a week on Friday too.

18/03/2013 at 18:18
Brol - I suffered from shin splints (Oh no, not another ailment, i hear you cry) when I started running again and it was agony, but OH has a customer who's a PT and she showed me a very good "toe-tapping" exercise that I did religiously at my desk which apparently stops the muscle getting stuck to the shin bone (or something like that), and I've never suffered since.

Of course, she could have talking a load of bull but it worked for me.
18/03/2013 at 18:23
I'm about to head put in the snow. I'm going to need Prozac before long. This is just soooooooo miserable. Laters
18/03/2013 at 19:05
Minni- rather you than me. Marathon training was never this tough. Anti freeze is better than prozac especially if its got alcohol in it .
FRC- I'm confident you'll nail sub 3.15 . Thanks re the 10k details. Will that count as a tune up race called for in my schedule. Just wondering have you been doing big weekly mileages for this campaign ?
Oomph - maybe that's why I font get shin splints- I'm always twitching my legs- drives my OH mad
O4S- never been called indecent before.
18/03/2013 at 19:33
SS - The heel pain is all but gone, but that's cus I haven't run for about 5wks. I think I'll leave it a bit longer just to be safe.
Out on the bike today to Rivington , 58m in mainly sunny, cold and windy weather. With a great bacon & egg bap the size of a plate, to fuel me home.
Snow on the tops of the hills, but none on the roads. Sorry Minni, there's none over here on the west coast.

KFC - That sounds like a great bike trip, when will that be?

Reds - Great 20, but time with your Dad is what's important now. You can always come back to your running.
18/03/2013 at 20:15
Simon- nice ride. Even nicer bap. We've been lucky with the snow on the west side haven't we.? Good to see your heel is better. Maybe see you at some shorter tris this summer? Good way to rebuild.
18/03/2013 at 20:21
Redders - well done on getting your 20 done. Hope your dad is gonna be ok.

2old - it didn't feel like 2 halves I just tried to hang on. The 7 min mile was uphill and I didn't know about that until te mile was done! Are you doing the Henley ironman?
DD - are you doing the half or full at Henley?
18/03/2013 at 20:39

Redders, thinking of you. Sounds like the LSR may have been just what you needed.

Barry/Spoons, damn I wish I knew I just had to stop logging and it would go away!

18/03/2013 at 20:53

Carter - Well done on your 8m PB yesterday.   There is a Yorkshire club have exactly the same colours as my club so it would be them you saw.  No one from up here was there.

kfc- good to see you've set the pb ball rolling for your friend.  Sorry to hear you're ill.  There's some nasty stuff going around.  My son has just sneezed over me as I type.

Oompa - I think most schedules allow for a period of illness, injury or life getting in the way so I'd say that's right not to readjust.  However, I'd take it easy for a few days.  Throwing yourself straight back into the schedule might lead to more trouble.  Better to easy back.

Nice to see AA  and 2old have well deserved hangovers, and AA do a detect a new found confidence?

Redders - poor dad and tough for you all. 

Freemers a half the week before London?    I hope you can hold back.  That race always reminds my of Shaggy.

Brolish - I wonder if you've got a bit of this ache virus me and O4S have had?  Seriously the week between Edinburgh and Northumberland halves I was starting to think it was all over.  Everything ached so much and I just felt flat.  I feel completely different this week though.  All the aches have gone and I recovered quickly from my 20 on Saturday.   Lets hope its something similar and in a few days you'll be feeling much better.  O4S - lets hope you get sorted soon.

AA - will you still speak to us on the green start since you now really qualify for a Championship start?

Edited: 18/03/2013 at 20:55
18/03/2013 at 21:08
Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhh... Whisper it... I think the calf may be fixed!

Don't wanna shout too loudly as I've been in this situation so many times before only for the injury to rear it's ugly head and bite me in the arse!!!

10 min w/u... 5 walking, then gradually starting to jog. Must've been hysterical to watch as I know that I was grimacing, waiting for the "twang, pop... Shit!"... But it didn't happen.
Then did 2 miles working from 7.5kmh (I dead speedy ay I) up to 10kmh.

Just before the 2 miles came up (embarrassed face), I must confess to adding another mile, but thankfully common sense, and the thought of having to explain my stupidity on this thread (and the subsequent telling off), made me see sense and stop.

Right... Bring on tomorrow's 22 @ mp!

P.S - Have I ever mentioned how much I looooove treadmills.. They're great!!!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.