RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,641 to 27,660 of 37,510 messages
18/03/2013 at 21:10

Bro - hate to say it but your shin issues sound exactly the same as mine. Go and see a physio.

6 miles at 10:00 pace for me tonight. Calves were tight at the start but loosened up.

18/03/2013 at 21:11

X post - good news Oompa. Why not do some mile reps at 3k pace as a w/up?

18/03/2013 at 21:15
Oompa - Fingers crossed for your calf.

Minni - how was your Prozac fuelled run? Not too bad I hope
18/03/2013 at 21:23
Oompa- that's great news
18/03/2013 at 21:30

great news Oompa.

Simon - it was grimmer than grim.  Dark, windy, cold, snowy.  Even the dog was pi$$ed off!  I can't bear much more of this.

18/03/2013 at 21:35
Minni - Give the dog Prozac as well. Well done for getting it d & d in this weather.

You wait, it'll be 30 degrees on 21st April
18/03/2013 at 21:52

Red massive hugs to you, hoping things work out for your Dad.

Cracking pacing AA, maybe we get a bit too obsessed with what numbers the garmin is throwing at us and don't focus on how we're actually feeling enough.  Regardless, you've still done so well, you should be very proud of yourself

There's nothing like a bit of The Prodigy to get you through a gym session Barry!

Well done to your friend for another PB kfc, sounds like she's running really well.

SS sometimes with marathons it works to be a bit underconfident, your expectations are lower, you set off more conservatively as you aren't sure what to expect of yourself... then you end up nailing it.

Bro congrats on the official PB I know you hate rest, I hate rest, I love to run and I hate not running, but you have to think about what you want long term. Just have a few days off running, go swimming or spinning or out for a walk or something. It will give your shins a bit of time to recover. You shouldn't be in pain for the first few miles of every run.

Oompa that's great news on the lovely treadmill run.  Re: picking up from where you left off with P&D - take an easier week first! I was saying the same thing about what the weather will be like come VLM day....

Minni your week sounds tough, but I have no doubt in my mind that you'll get those sessions done, hard work pays off!

18/03/2013 at 22:18

Oompa: 

2old:  and there was me thinking you were a wild, untamed caveman.  Never been called indecent?  Never lived! 

To my astonishment I managed a 5 mile tempo run at the club tonight and felt a lot better for it, the AGM that followed was so tedious that my good spirits took a tumble however.

Minni: sounds grim - we aren't too bad down here at the moment once the sun has come up.

18/03/2013 at 22:29
Oomp- that's great news...the treadmill can be a lifesaver. Now the trick is not to forget that you've been injured for over a week and have been fretting that your marathon is blown. Tread carefully. If its 30degrees on21st I'd better prepare with regular TM runs with the heat turned up to full
Now we need Barry back on track
Minni- another tough run done and the week underway. Real mental toughness.
AA- I'm probably not doing the IM. Still need to persuade Mrs 2O that its a sport I should take up. I've signed up for Chester Marathon early October as a stop gap
Bro- carrot is probably right and working on different muscles by spinning and swimming may help relieve or even fix your shins. Anti inflammatories and ice will help too.
18/03/2013 at 23:42
Minni - Hang in there, it's not long til your tapir madness. Do you think Mr Z will show up then with some new pics?

2old - You'll be going for sub 3 by October, I'll need my bike just to keep up with you.
19/03/2013 at 06:20
Oompa, yay!!! Just take it slowly, ease back in and hopefully you are back with us

Simon, great to hear your heel sounds almost fully recovered. Your "wait a bit longer" strategy sounds very sensible if you don't have a race coming up. Also, you're avoiding the horrific weather you all seem to be having. Perhaps next winter i should organise a warm weather training camp in Dubai for this thread

I'm definitely feeling excited now I've set my goal. I've got to believe that once I'm tapered and rested that I'm capable of 8:25-ish m/m. And even if i don't quite make it, if i walk away with anything under 3:50 i will be a very happy lady . Tempo session for me today, haven't decided what to do yet. Brolish, i may try the one you recommended the other day. I will see how i go later. I'm now nervous of overdoing it. Honestly, I'm vering from thinking I'm not doing enough to now worrying about overtraining!! I think it's all the talk of cotton wool. I managed to walk into the corner of the coffee table and my first panic was injury!! Paranoia is starting to set in. It was all fine until I set my goal!!!
19/03/2013 at 06:33
SS - I know that feeling! You just want to get through the next few weeks with no drama

Minni - Bungay reminds me of Shaggy too. I remember teasing him that I must have passed him when he did the full and I did the half (which starts 2 hours after) and he was having a bad time towards the end. That was before I was on this thread so didn't know him then. So glad he nailed the next one in Berlin I'm not worried about the distance the week before VLM, just need to hold back. Normal LSR pace would see me home in around 1.50-1.55 so that's my aim.

Oompa - great news...just take care not to ramp the speed up too quick.

I have to go to Geneva today for a meeting that will last probably no more than an hour or so...glad the client is paying for the flight! I checked the forecast - warmer than the UK . Anyway it means it's a rest day today. As I get back to London late I'm staying over rather than get home at midnight - means I can get my run in tomorrow before work for once.
19/03/2013 at 09:42

Oompa -  Great news, nice and gentle though, don't push it for a few days plenty of time left.

19/03/2013 at 10:15
SS - A team trip to Dubai, but isn't 'dry' ie no alcohol there? None of this lot would go if it is, they wouldn't be able to handle it! Hehe
19/03/2013 at 11:03
Simon, if Dubai was dry, I wouldn't be living here!!!
19/03/2013 at 11:15

Morning-sun is shining here

Simon- sub3? I wish

SS-a target well in range for you I think and dont waste all that mental energy agonising .Ive never had a dry trip to Dubai either

Free- cantyou squeeze in a run around the lake? Wont take long or better still a day skiing?

Supposed to do some intervals today but wonder if its a bit soon after Sunday for these old legs. We shall see.

19/03/2013 at 11:21

Morning gang!

2.5km swim for me this morning. Coaching tonight. Will try and sneak in a quick 30 minutes weights session on the way.

19/03/2013 at 13:44

Hello everyone.

Free- enjoy Geneva!

2Old- you're already up for intervals after Sunday? Lol, I like that! I wouldn't normally be allowed to do any quality until Thursday...

SSheep- too early for losing your mind, give it another couple of weeks.

FRC- yes, I have filled in the boss. He seems to agree that it sounds like shin splints and there is a very small chance of things clearing up completely before the VLM so will just have to find a way to manage the pain.

No running at least until Thursday with a lot of stretching, rolling and ibuprofen. My sports physio got back to me and said he wouldn't stop running completely but definitely reduce the mileage for a week or so and then see how it goes. I'll try to get to the gym tomorrow for a bit of spinning/ swimming. Rather miserable at the moment...

19/03/2013 at 14:10

Bro - what a pain. Hope it clears up - at least it is a fair bit of time before London.

Did some mile repeats @ 6:25-6:30 this lunchtime. Oof they were pretty tough. Have got my target 5K YKW for Jantastic on Saturday. Put 20:20 down as target which would be a 1 sec PB. But that may have been a bit ambitious. We'll see!

19/03/2013 at 14:15

Poor Bro, I really feel for you . At least you've banked the majority of the hard runs so taking a few steps back right now won't do much damage.

Oompa: great news, mate! If you like TMs they are alright. If you hate them like I do they are anything but .

Minni wrote (see)
I'm about to head put in the snow. I'm going to need Prozac before long. This is just soooooooo miserable. Laters

Same here. I really hated my run this morning. It was soooooo cold and about 1/3 of the pavement had blobs of refrozen snow on it which made it hard going. Not enough to wear the Yaktrax but too much for a decently paced run . Am sick of it. Just so glad I did more running in Denmark than I was supposed to. Makes me feel less bad about shortening some runs this week

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.