RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,641 to 27,660 of 36,987 messages
18/03/2013 at 16:42

KFC - let me have your route when you work it out and I'll send you our route to the Tourmalet!

Major DOMS down this way.

Redders ((( )))   Pity we din't get a chance to stagger round together, I would have enjoyed your company.

Bro take it easy

Ooompa: to trust in the training you need to have done some

2old: that is indecently fast and ditto AA

18/03/2013 at 17:50
Meant to say, AA - it doesn't matter if it was 1.28.xx or 1.29.xx, the important thing is you're now entitled to count in minutes so it's an 8x.xx . BTW - Champ start for you at VLM 2014?
18/03/2013 at 17:53

Brol, hope you're feeling a bit better. what is the plan for this week and have you told coach about shins? Any changes, shoes, insoles? Unusual shin splints to start if no changes.

I had shin splints but probably 2003. long time ago.

2old Still aiming for sub 3:15 but haven't pinned my hat on a time yet, would be happy with 3:14:59 . And you get lots about what I'm doing, Personal training sesh this am and even my choice of reward. I'll dig the details about that 10k a week on Friday too.

18/03/2013 at 18:18
Brol - I suffered from shin splints (Oh no, not another ailment, i hear you cry) when I started running again and it was agony, but OH has a customer who's a PT and she showed me a very good "toe-tapping" exercise that I did religiously at my desk which apparently stops the muscle getting stuck to the shin bone (or something like that), and I've never suffered since.

Of course, she could have talking a load of bull but it worked for me.
18/03/2013 at 18:23
I'm about to head put in the snow. I'm going to need Prozac before long. This is just soooooooo miserable. Laters
18/03/2013 at 19:05
Minni- rather you than me. Marathon training was never this tough. Anti freeze is better than prozac especially if its got alcohol in it .
FRC- I'm confident you'll nail sub 3.15 . Thanks re the 10k details. Will that count as a tune up race called for in my schedule. Just wondering have you been doing big weekly mileages for this campaign ?
Oomph - maybe that's why I font get shin splints- I'm always twitching my legs- drives my OH mad
O4S- never been called indecent before.
18/03/2013 at 19:33
SS - The heel pain is all but gone, but that's cus I haven't run for about 5wks. I think I'll leave it a bit longer just to be safe.
Out on the bike today to Rivington , 58m in mainly sunny, cold and windy weather. With a great bacon & egg bap the size of a plate, to fuel me home.
Snow on the tops of the hills, but none on the roads. Sorry Minni, there's none over here on the west coast.

KFC - That sounds like a great bike trip, when will that be?

Reds - Great 20, but time with your Dad is what's important now. You can always come back to your running.
18/03/2013 at 20:15
Simon- nice ride. Even nicer bap. We've been lucky with the snow on the west side haven't we.? Good to see your heel is better. Maybe see you at some shorter tris this summer? Good way to rebuild.
18/03/2013 at 20:21
Redders - well done on getting your 20 done. Hope your dad is gonna be ok.

2old - it didn't feel like 2 halves I just tried to hang on. The 7 min mile was uphill and I didn't know about that until te mile was done! Are you doing the Henley ironman?
DD - are you doing the half or full at Henley?
18/03/2013 at 20:39

Redders, thinking of you. Sounds like the LSR may have been just what you needed.

Barry/Spoons, damn I wish I knew I just had to stop logging and it would go away!

18/03/2013 at 20:53

Carter - Well done on your 8m PB yesterday.   There is a Yorkshire club have exactly the same colours as my club so it would be them you saw.  No one from up here was there.

kfc- good to see you've set the pb ball rolling for your friend.  Sorry to hear you're ill.  There's some nasty stuff going around.  My son has just sneezed over me as I type.

Oompa - I think most schedules allow for a period of illness, injury or life getting in the way so I'd say that's right not to readjust.  However, I'd take it easy for a few days.  Throwing yourself straight back into the schedule might lead to more trouble.  Better to easy back.

Nice to see AA  and 2old have well deserved hangovers, and AA do a detect a new found confidence?

Redders - poor dad and tough for you all. 

Freemers a half the week before London?    I hope you can hold back.  That race always reminds my of Shaggy.

Brolish - I wonder if you've got a bit of this ache virus me and O4S have had?  Seriously the week between Edinburgh and Northumberland halves I was starting to think it was all over.  Everything ached so much and I just felt flat.  I feel completely different this week though.  All the aches have gone and I recovered quickly from my 20 on Saturday.   Lets hope its something similar and in a few days you'll be feeling much better.  O4S - lets hope you get sorted soon.

AA - will you still speak to us on the green start since you now really qualify for a Championship start?

Edited: 18/03/2013 at 20:55
18/03/2013 at 21:08
Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhh... Whisper it... I think the calf may be fixed!

Don't wanna shout too loudly as I've been in this situation so many times before only for the injury to rear it's ugly head and bite me in the arse!!!

10 min w/u... 5 walking, then gradually starting to jog. Must've been hysterical to watch as I know that I was grimacing, waiting for the "twang, pop... Shit!"... But it didn't happen.
Then did 2 miles working from 7.5kmh (I dead speedy ay I) up to 10kmh.

Just before the 2 miles came up (embarrassed face), I must confess to adding another mile, but thankfully common sense, and the thought of having to explain my stupidity on this thread (and the subsequent telling off), made me see sense and stop.

Right... Bring on tomorrow's 22 @ mp!

P.S - Have I ever mentioned how much I looooove treadmills.. They're great!!!
18/03/2013 at 21:10

Bro - hate to say it but your shin issues sound exactly the same as mine. Go and see a physio.

6 miles at 10:00 pace for me tonight. Calves were tight at the start but loosened up.

18/03/2013 at 21:11

X post - good news Oompa. Why not do some mile reps at 3k pace as a w/up?

18/03/2013 at 21:15
Oompa - Fingers crossed for your calf.

Minni - how was your Prozac fuelled run? Not too bad I hope
18/03/2013 at 21:23
Oompa- that's great news
18/03/2013 at 21:30

great news Oompa.

Simon - it was grimmer than grim.  Dark, windy, cold, snowy.  Even the dog was pi$$ed off!  I can't bear much more of this.

18/03/2013 at 21:35
Minni - Give the dog Prozac as well. Well done for getting it d & d in this weather.

You wait, it'll be 30 degrees on 21st April
18/03/2013 at 21:52

Red massive hugs to you, hoping things work out for your Dad.

Cracking pacing AA, maybe we get a bit too obsessed with what numbers the garmin is throwing at us and don't focus on how we're actually feeling enough.  Regardless, you've still done so well, you should be very proud of yourself

There's nothing like a bit of The Prodigy to get you through a gym session Barry!

Well done to your friend for another PB kfc, sounds like she's running really well.

SS sometimes with marathons it works to be a bit underconfident, your expectations are lower, you set off more conservatively as you aren't sure what to expect of yourself... then you end up nailing it.

Bro congrats on the official PB I know you hate rest, I hate rest, I love to run and I hate not running, but you have to think about what you want long term. Just have a few days off running, go swimming or spinning or out for a walk or something. It will give your shins a bit of time to recover. You shouldn't be in pain for the first few miles of every run.

Oompa that's great news on the lovely treadmill run.  Re: picking up from where you left off with P&D - take an easier week first! I was saying the same thing about what the weather will be like come VLM day....

Minni your week sounds tough, but I have no doubt in my mind that you'll get those sessions done, hard work pays off!

18/03/2013 at 22:18

Oompa: 

2old:  and there was me thinking you were a wild, untamed caveman.  Never been called indecent?  Never lived! 

To my astonishment I managed a 5 mile tempo run at the club tonight and felt a lot better for it, the AGM that followed was so tedious that my good spirits took a tumble however.

Minni: sounds grim - we aren't too bad down here at the moment once the sun has come up.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.