RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,681 to 27,700 of 36,121 messages
19/03/2013 at 16:08

PS Chick re snow now and heatwave in late April. Ho ho - written in the stars, written in the stars 

19/03/2013 at 18:08
Ant- not done a YKW for a long time apart from part of a tri. My understanding is that you do go flat out from the off and hold on. Re the heat wave ..you'll be fine in Paris ..cool and a gentle breeze behind you
19/03/2013 at 18:19
Bro - very frustrating...spoons is right though, get some exercises prescribed.

Ant - I think a YKW is a great idea, you'll be flying!

Geneva was sunny and mild today. Great views of the lake from client's office, but sadly no chance to run round it. Now killing a bit of time at the airport. I have bought chocolate - supposedly for work but I might be tempted to steal a bit
19/03/2013 at 19:42
I am so shite at running fast. That's all.
19/03/2013 at 19:44

I wish I was as shite at running fast as you are Minni

19/03/2013 at 20:04
Minni- so why do you think that when we don't?
19/03/2013 at 20:21
That's because you're all so nice 2old. It's ok I was just freezing and drenched and spat the dummy!
19/03/2013 at 20:35

Minni - its just not true!

Oompa - sounds great, be careful!

Bro - rubbish.  Be careful and do all you can to get healed.

O4S/Simon - end of July.  Current idea is a N to S coast to coast of France, via massif central then AdH for the tri, swinging by Ventoux on the way to the coast.  A few days adrift of le tour so should get some good road graffiti

Still ill.  Day 7 of no training.  Feeling a bit better, but still only good for walking right now.    

19/03/2013 at 20:59

Bro - I really feel for you.  At least you are still OK to swim and spin, and by tomorrow you'll know that you can run tomorrow! Hang in there, I really hope a lower mileage week is all you need. 

Great mile reps Ant, have a bit of faith in yourself for the YKW on Saturday.  Relax, imagine there's not pressure, warm up well and just go for it.

Minni if all of our training sessions went to plan we surely wouldn't appreciate them half as much?

I've had a bit of a niggle in my left heel / just under my ankle bone on and off for a few months now that's never really hurt, it's just let me know it's there every now and then.  It was a bit sore on Saturday on my easy run, then again on Sunday when I did my long run.  After the run it was really hurting I didn't run yesterday, have tried one mile on the treadmill tonight and I can still feel it.  I've got a 10 mile race on Sunday!! Meanwhile Parsnip has been sat with frozen salmon on his calf tonight and has been advised not to run until Friday.  It was all going so well

On a brighter note, we're off to see Biffy Clyro tomorrow night

19/03/2013 at 21:26
Evening all,

Just returned from a long weekend in Southern Italy and trying to catch up on all the posts from the weekend. Managed to run, including an extremely hilly 14 miles, with over half of that continual uphill climb.

Bro / Free / AA / 2old - Absolutely fantastic HMs at the weekend... Real inspiration for us all. Never realised what a buzz it is seeing other people's PBs coming through. Real sense of pride

On the subject of Garmins, how do you turn off auto-lap?
19/03/2013 at 21:39

Carrot - Hope the heel thing sorts itself before Sunday.

Blade - Always amazes me how dedicated runners are! We still run when we could/should be enjoying our breaks/holidays. Well done.

Minni - Everyone has a right to throw the toys every once in a while... Bet your next run's a belter.

5.2 miles with the club tonight @ 9.03. Felt ridiculously easy, but kept it slow as calf felt a little tight on the second loop. Very pleased.

19/03/2013 at 21:49
Bro, Carrot ((())). Hope a bit of rest helps both of you.

Minni, you are so not shit.

Kfc, hope you feel better soon.
19/03/2013 at 22:04

Evening. 

Minni - you're awesome!

30 mins in the gym followed by coaching Tonight. I sort of did the session with the slowest runner. I did 3 reps at 8:30 pace. Fastest I've ran in ages!

19/03/2013 at 22:23

Blimey Carrot not another with a niggle.   Do you know what is it?  I'd recommend a frozen flat fish for the heel and Parsnip is doing right with the Salmon.

Bro - wishing you a speedy shin recovery. Buggers they are.  I bet you've caught that from Spoons.

Right, right, right... sorry for posting that earlier.  I was just so pissed off with myself.   I always find these long fast reps so hard and the weather tonight didn't help.  It was grimmer than its ever been, grimmer than the grimmest day ever recorded - are you getting the picture?  Its rained frozen rain, sleet and snow for the last two days, continuous.  Its so cold its colder than the middle of winter and its windy.  The roads are flooded.  Its dark and before it was dark it was a depressing grey.

4m warm up including 1m @ MP: 7:59 average.  I'm wet and cold.  3 x 1.5m with 1m @ tempo and 0.5 @ 10kp.   First one: 6:48/6:45.  Not bad but the second bit should have been a bit faster.  Points during this section I could hardly see for the ice that was falling like needles.  The 2 minute recovery was to prove disastrous because I got so cold.  Set off on the second: 6:48/6:35.  Better?  Not really because I had to take a breather between the sections. Not long, 10 or 20 seconds but a breather all the same.  Couldn't feel hands by this point and could have cried.  Almost went home but decided to push on. Third one: 6:48 but then I couldn't face trying to speed up and turned for home instead.   So I feel like it was just too much effort and disappointed I chickened out of the last half mile.

I feel shit because I just don't think I'm ever going to get faster over the shorter distance if I can't even nail these.  I could blame the weather but to be honest it was more about me (I feel).

Anyway, looking forward to the 12m @ MP on Friday.   That's more my cup of tea!

Edited: 19/03/2013 at 22:24
19/03/2013 at 22:30
Minni - you've said before that the brilliant thing about this forum is that we can share our shit runs as much as our good ones. With the miles you're doing it's no wonder some of them will be at the shitter end of the scale. But have faith - you have been doing so well and it's all working for you for VLM. And better weather is just around the corner, honest

Blade - you have worked out the secret of this thread - being inspired by all the brilliant running and racing! On the Garmin auto lap I think it depends on the model, but I think normally it's under Training and then Options.

Carrot - oh no! Not another one on the injury bench! Take it easy in the next few days if you can.

Spoons - nice!
19/03/2013 at 22:31
Minni- not shit at all. Better weather must be on its way surely...
Carrot- ouch, hope nothing serious. I'm intrigued by the frozen salomon. I might alternate it with frozen peas to keep things interesting.
KFC- glad to hear you're feeling better.
Blade- training/ training options/ auto lap.
Please let's not talk about a heat wave in April. I cant worry about that as well at the moment.
Thank you everyone for all the kind words. I've got lots of stretches from Moz, if I attempt to do any more I will have to resign from work and stop sleeping. I definitely haven't given up yet.
19/03/2013 at 22:34
Minni- xpost. These sessions are tough at the best of times when done on the track with no interruptions. Sounds like you were running against the elements. You will nail it next time and feel awesome
20/03/2013 at 07:02

Sounds horrible Minni

Carrot - hope it's nothing too serious. Have you tried frozen halibut?

20/03/2013 at 07:06
Thanks guys.

Freemers you're right and its nice to vent off when things don't go according to plan. If I'd come home and tried to explain to Mr Minni that X part should have been 5 seconds quicker, or that I shouldn't have hadv10 seconds breather he just wouldn't have got it!

Splitting my 14 in two today as its my mum's birthday so need to schedule a visit in tonight. 7.5 done this morning and do you know it's almost light at 5:30 now. and the wet stuff has stopped and I was greeted with a drier snow so not so cold. Come on Spring I know you're put there somewhere!
20/03/2013 at 07:26
Minni - I don't know why you beat yourself up, you only missed half a mile. You are training in crappy weather and getting out there. Great mental strength session and come April 21st you will nail it, I just know it

Bro (()). Shin splits are so bloody annoying. Have you tried frozen cod?

Carrot - sorry to hear your injured again, you're doing the right thing.

KFC - hope you're better soon.

Blade - well done on the holiday running.

Spoons - great to see you in the way back.

Chick - your weather sounds awful.

Ant - happy tapering

A trendy 5 done for me yesterday to help rid the DOMS.

We only have 2 more weeks to hang on for now team. I for one am looking forward to taper now
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.