RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,681 to 27,700 of 37,175 messages
19/03/2013 at 22:04

Evening. 

Minni - you're awesome!

30 mins in the gym followed by coaching Tonight. I sort of did the session with the slowest runner. I did 3 reps at 8:30 pace. Fastest I've ran in ages!

19/03/2013 at 22:23

Blimey Carrot not another with a niggle.   Do you know what is it?  I'd recommend a frozen flat fish for the heel and Parsnip is doing right with the Salmon.

Bro - wishing you a speedy shin recovery. Buggers they are.  I bet you've caught that from Spoons.

Right, right, right... sorry for posting that earlier.  I was just so pissed off with myself.   I always find these long fast reps so hard and the weather tonight didn't help.  It was grimmer than its ever been, grimmer than the grimmest day ever recorded - are you getting the picture?  Its rained frozen rain, sleet and snow for the last two days, continuous.  Its so cold its colder than the middle of winter and its windy.  The roads are flooded.  Its dark and before it was dark it was a depressing grey.

4m warm up including 1m @ MP: 7:59 average.  I'm wet and cold.  3 x 1.5m with 1m @ tempo and 0.5 @ 10kp.   First one: 6:48/6:45.  Not bad but the second bit should have been a bit faster.  Points during this section I could hardly see for the ice that was falling like needles.  The 2 minute recovery was to prove disastrous because I got so cold.  Set off on the second: 6:48/6:35.  Better?  Not really because I had to take a breather between the sections. Not long, 10 or 20 seconds but a breather all the same.  Couldn't feel hands by this point and could have cried.  Almost went home but decided to push on. Third one: 6:48 but then I couldn't face trying to speed up and turned for home instead.   So I feel like it was just too much effort and disappointed I chickened out of the last half mile.

I feel shit because I just don't think I'm ever going to get faster over the shorter distance if I can't even nail these.  I could blame the weather but to be honest it was more about me (I feel).

Anyway, looking forward to the 12m @ MP on Friday.   That's more my cup of tea!

Edited: 19/03/2013 at 22:24
19/03/2013 at 22:30
Minni - you've said before that the brilliant thing about this forum is that we can share our shit runs as much as our good ones. With the miles you're doing it's no wonder some of them will be at the shitter end of the scale. But have faith - you have been doing so well and it's all working for you for VLM. And better weather is just around the corner, honest

Blade - you have worked out the secret of this thread - being inspired by all the brilliant running and racing! On the Garmin auto lap I think it depends on the model, but I think normally it's under Training and then Options.

Carrot - oh no! Not another one on the injury bench! Take it easy in the next few days if you can.

Spoons - nice!
19/03/2013 at 22:31
Minni- not shit at all. Better weather must be on its way surely...
Carrot- ouch, hope nothing serious. I'm intrigued by the frozen salomon. I might alternate it with frozen peas to keep things interesting.
KFC- glad to hear you're feeling better.
Blade- training/ training options/ auto lap.
Please let's not talk about a heat wave in April. I cant worry about that as well at the moment.
Thank you everyone for all the kind words. I've got lots of stretches from Moz, if I attempt to do any more I will have to resign from work and stop sleeping. I definitely haven't given up yet.
19/03/2013 at 22:34
Minni- xpost. These sessions are tough at the best of times when done on the track with no interruptions. Sounds like you were running against the elements. You will nail it next time and feel awesome
20/03/2013 at 07:02

Sounds horrible Minni

Carrot - hope it's nothing too serious. Have you tried frozen halibut?

20/03/2013 at 07:06
Thanks guys.

Freemers you're right and its nice to vent off when things don't go according to plan. If I'd come home and tried to explain to Mr Minni that X part should have been 5 seconds quicker, or that I shouldn't have hadv10 seconds breather he just wouldn't have got it!

Splitting my 14 in two today as its my mum's birthday so need to schedule a visit in tonight. 7.5 done this morning and do you know it's almost light at 5:30 now. and the wet stuff has stopped and I was greeted with a drier snow so not so cold. Come on Spring I know you're put there somewhere!
20/03/2013 at 07:26
Minni - I don't know why you beat yourself up, you only missed half a mile. You are training in crappy weather and getting out there. Great mental strength session and come April 21st you will nail it, I just know it

Bro (()). Shin splits are so bloody annoying. Have you tried frozen cod?

Carrot - sorry to hear your injured again, you're doing the right thing.

KFC - hope you're better soon.

Blade - well done on the holiday running.

Spoons - great to see you in the way back.

Chick - your weather sounds awful.

Ant - happy tapering

A trendy 5 done for me yesterday to help rid the DOMS.

We only have 2 more weeks to hang on for now team. I for one am looking forward to taper now
20/03/2013 at 07:40

Minni:  most people wouldn't have even gone through the front door, get a grip!

Carrot:  ((( )))

KFC:  sounds fantastic, Ventoux is my favourite tour climb [so far .  We are also doing North / South via the Pyrennees - if we had time I would be tempted to return by your route [minus the tri].

AA:  taper? What taper??  With 100 miles to run two weeks after VLM that is a luxury I will have to pass on

After tempo on Monday took yesterday off and did a short run before work to count for Jantastic, planning a bit more this evening depending on how my back feels - seems to have settled down a bit for now.  Booked my pre-marathon haircut and sports massage

20/03/2013 at 07:41

Spoons:  meant to say that your fastest run for ages is more or less my MP   Glad its going well

20/03/2013 at 09:22

Carrot - sounds like a spot of mild PF. Ice is not what you want if it is that IMHO. You need to massage it out with a golf ball. Find the location of the pain and work it by pushing a golf ball very hard into the sole of the foot and working it in a circular motion. That will essentially break down the thickened scar tissue that is giving you the problem. Compare it to the other heel to see if you can ID the area of scar tissue.

20/03/2013 at 09:50

Carrot - Hope it's nothing too serious, speedy recovery to you and Parsnip.

Minni - Good days/bad days, just right it off, saying that you did well getting out for a run in the crap conditions.  The main thing is to hit those 7:20 miles come 21 April and your long run at the weekend proved you are capable of it.

Brol - You have a massive endurance base with the mileage you have put in, you are not going to lose any running fitness with a short break. Just go steady and get the injury sorted.

Oompa - Good news on the return to running.

Blade -  Welcome back, how were the legs after the hilly run?

20/03/2013 at 09:57

(((carrot)))  - it seems like all that mileage is catching up with us. I have a niggly left hip and 2 extremely niggly feet .

Ant: the golfball thingie sounds pretty . Ouch! Hope it works for carrot.

Aww Minni - you did the majority of the sesh, that's the most important thing. Those paces are pretty damn good under the circumstances. Don't forget that your whole body will be extra fatigued by all that marathon mileage. The cold out there deffo costs us lots of speed at the moment. Just imagine how much lighter we'd fell without them extra layers! Yeah, our non-running partners never understand what the problem is .  

blade: welcome back - nice holiday run banked

Ant P wrote (see)

I only did 2 x 1 mile repeats! So not exactly testing, but I haven't done them for a while. 

O4s - cracking stuff! Mind you they are probably a bit lighter then me I think 20:45 is probably more likely for my YKW, but I will adopt the crash and burn strategy of going out hard, which really worked for me last year.

Crash & burn is the only way to run a 5k

old4speed wrote (see)

AA:  taper? What taper??  With 100 miles to run two weeks after VLM that is a luxury I will have to pass on

Crayzeeeeee as ever

Right, 1st MLR of the week d&d (13 miles). Like Minni I was pretty surprised to run the 2nd half almost in daylight. I found a 2 mile stretch of nearly ice-free pavement. At least I had 2 MT episodes to listen to - otherwise it was boring as hell . Managed an av. pace of exactly 8mm (too fast, I know - but I wanted it to be over and done with ... ).

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 09:58
20/03/2013 at 10:37
Hi All
Minni- stop beating yourself up please that was an epic session and nothing to feel unhappy about. The conditions you run in are dreadful. I wouldn't have bothered and would have jumped on the trusty TM. Maybe you should vary it a bit even the elites use the TM as part of their routine. As AA says not long to go now so save that mental energy for 21st .
Blade- hello again. Fed up of pasta? Lots to eat from now on. Bet those hills made ours look like undulations
O4S- tapers are for the junior members of ths thread. Glad back has improved
Oomp- another positive run there..easy easy..
Chick- nice MLR- is there a point where the pace you think is too fast is the new norm especially as the months of hard work take effect?
Carrot- good advice from Ant. You should be ok pretty quick
KFC- my thighs are burning just reading that bike tour. One day I might do more on my bike but for now ill keep jogging
Bro- stay positive...you'll soon be ok
I've got a bit of a niggle on the outside of my left knee..feels like toothache right on the outer side of the bone to the lower part of my leg where it attaches to my patella. Any ideas please?
Might do my MLR later as its such a pleasant day.
20/03/2013 at 10:47
2oldnever wrote (see)
Chick- nice MLR- is there a point where the pace you think is too fast is the new norm especially as the months of hard work take effect?

maybe, just maybe ....  HR was low though. I take that as a positive. In fact, it felt so much more natural than yesterday's where I forced myself to run slow.

20/03/2013 at 10:47

never had toothache in my knee ...   sorry, can't help 

20/03/2013 at 12:03
2old - sounds very much like a tight IT band. Get that foam roller out.
A
Chick - nice mlr.

9 miles in 8:53 for me today. Felt really hard.
Edited: 20/03/2013 at 12:03
20/03/2013 at 12:38

Minni - I feel ridiculous giving you a 'gee up' as you are clearly a superior runner However, please don't stress about the session, as people have said it was a great session regardless and you need to stay positive now

2old - I think I was being modest about a hill run, I ran up the side of a mountain! I need to store it in the Garmin and check the elevation gain!

Barry - legs feel OK generally speaking but, they haven't felt OK in real terms for about 3 months

Minni - I feel ridiculous giving you a 'gee up' as you are clearly a superior runner However, please don't stress about the session, as people have said it was a great session regardless and you need to stay positive now

2old - I think I was being modest about a hill run, I ran up the side of a mountain! I need to store it in the Garmin and check the elevation gain!

Oompa - Glad to hear you are out running again, albeit slower than normal

Free - You're right, love the inspiration and commerarderie this forum provides. Celebrate the highs, share the lows

AA - Dying to know what a 'trendy 5 miles' looks like!?

20/03/2013 at 12:45
AA - thought so thanks
Chick- yes sounds positive
Col- saw the 'hills ' at lake Como so have a good idea what you mean.
20/03/2013 at 13:05
Blade, a little while back there was a few days where we all seemed to be doing 5milers! Became quite trendy!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.