RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,701 to 27,720 of 37,495 messages
20/03/2013 at 13:16
bladerunner07 wrote (see)

Minni - I feel ridiculous giving you a 'gee up' as you are clearly a superior runner

Hey blade enough of that.   We have no superior runners on this thread.  We're all equals with strengths and weaknesses in different areas.  We all have the same ambitions and come across the same problems.  Anyone who sees themselves as superior or posts as being superior, "look at the times I can run, aren't I amazing?'' will soon be ignored!  However, we do sometimes have competitions to see who has been the shittiest - that's fun!

So, thank you for the gee up   and welcome back.

Chick - I haven't listened to MT at all yet this spring but have a duration run to do on my own on Sunday.  Can you recommend any?

AA - have you got any aches and pains from Sunday?

O4S - are you doing the 50m Sheffield thing at the weekend?  Pam was saying she's going.

Watch that knee 2old.

I noticed on Marchvellous that Cooks has bagged a good 10k.

Where is Zuvai?

Barry - still X training?  You're right about the MP.  I'll feel good if I nail the 12 miles on Friday.  I need to speak to Moz about my MP before then but kinda putting off.  I'm frightened that we may not agree on MP....

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 13:19
20/03/2013 at 13:40

Chick- nice easy MLR- tut tut!

2Old- no idea what a toothache in the knee can be but I hope it clears soon.

Minni- even if you agree on MP you will end up going out there and doing what feels right on the day... lol.

AA- sounds like you migh still be a little tired from Sunday?  Sometimes it kicks in a couple of days after the race I find. Take it easy, you've deserved it!

I've been given a green light to do a trendy 5m tomorrow and see how it feels.

20/03/2013 at 13:55

Not that trendy, but did get out for a tentative 3M.  HR still about 10-15 beats high, but starting to feel better.  Phew.

O4S - you are gonna love the aubisque-tourmalet stretch through the pyrenees

20/03/2013 at 14:13
Minni - Your not shit, cus if you were, with a mara Pb about 35mins faster than me, I'd be in 'shitsville Arizona', and I'm not ready to go there just yet.
So just remember, there's always people shitter than you, even on here!
20/03/2013 at 14:16

Minni:  Doing a 25 and a 21 in Devon instead - rubbish weather forecast   After the Rotherham 50 just before TM I decided against anthing that long this close to VLM.  In any case not sure my back is up to it.

Please can i have a collective 'forum finger cross' at around 4.00pm this afternoon.  Will explain later................. 

20/03/2013 at 14:23

Oh of course O4S!  A back to back 25/21will be much easier than a 50 just VLM.

Everything cross here for you.  Does it involve Zuvai?  Have you got him captured somewhere?  Is that where he is.....

Hey lets all go to shitsville, Simon.

20/03/2013 at 14:25

Oompa - great news that your calf has settled down

Ant P - good pace on the mile reps

Minni  - sorry you feel you had a bad run last night. Looking at the session I think you did very well in the conditions.

2old - I hope the knee settles down quickly

Brolish - I used to get shin pain in my left leg for the first few miles of every run. I was told to stretch my calf 3 x 30s each morning and within a few weeks the pain had disappeared. I ocassionally feel it now, but not very often.

Track session last night was 4 mile of alternating 400m @ 5k pace and 400m @ steady pace. I was never comfortable in this session and found it tough going. In particular I found it hard to pace the steady bits and found these gradually got slower as the session progressed. I think the 4m was done was in 27:32 or thereabouts.    

20/03/2013 at 14:44
Minni wrote (see)

Oh of course O4S!  A back to back 25/21will be much easier than a 50 just VLM.

Everything cross here for you.  Does it involve Zuvai?  Have you got him captured somewhere?  Is that where he is.....

Well you know O4S and her toy boy admirers (remember the Compleat Angler?)

For MT I'd recommend Mike Tomlinson or both the Kurt Fearnley interviews. Dave Moorcroft was good too, at least part 2 when he was talking about his world record run. 

Had a not to hot run this morning - aiming for 7-8 miles with about 5 @ tempo pace but ended up a bit slower...just couldn't get the speed up before breakfast!

I see more snow is on the way for the North and East, and lots of rain elsewhere. Joy.  Forecast for my 21 miler on Sunday down in Surrey is OK though (so far) - cold but no rain/snow and light winds. So perfect really.  Fingers crossed they've got that right.  Blade - what's your strategy for Cranleigh?

2old - make sure you work on your core and glutes as well as the foam rolling for ITB.

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 14:46
20/03/2013 at 14:55
Minni - I think you're amazing
20/03/2013 at 15:00

O4S: starting to cross me fingers now (it's 4pm here )

Yeah, where are Mr. Z and cookster ?

col: sounds like a pretty tough sesh. I'd struggle to hit the right paces ... I'm shite at pacing myself and switching between 5k pace and steady sounds rather unmanageable!

20/03/2013 at 15:42

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if I could call on your experience and knowledge and get a bit of advice about the foam roller.

My knee is giving me a bit of jip so I have been rolling every night recently. When I am rolling it really hurts the area I'm rolling and I believe this is a good thing ? I will roll the ITB for about 10 minutes but even after those 10 minutes my ITB still hurts, varying from sore to excrutiating. I dont know if the pain should go way after a few minutes or maybe I'm not rolling properly ?

Any tips, help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

20/03/2013 at 16:46
Cart - Sorry no experience with the big, hard nobbly things. I think the girls on here use them more!

O4S - Fingers crossed ready.

Minni - I'm boarding the plane already!
20/03/2013 at 16:55

Come on O4S, what's this all about??? I hate being kept in suspenders!

Carter - Sorry, i'm the same as Simon, in so much as i don't use them any more. I used to use them, but seemed to pick up an injury in the next few days, so ditched the roller there and then.

20/03/2013 at 17:28
Minni- you're the best. That's all there is to it. I'm convinced I wouldn't have made anywhere near the progress i have without the inspiration of this thread and your presence. Not only that its still fun too.
Chick-,I'm starting to feel a bit out numbered without MrZ and Cooks and with Simon recovering from injury.
Oomph- I never got round to buying the roller though have tried one occasionally in the gym. Not sure about them. Any suggestions for stretches to ease ITB?
Simon- whereto?
Col- nice session. I only do those on the TM. Can't manage pace any other way
Done my MLR , 15 miles av7.43mm pace. First 4 very hard felt as though I was wearing lead shoes then warmed up and did most of the last 7/8 around 7.30 pace.
Easy tomorrow,maybe a day off even.
20/03/2013 at 17:53
O4S- I crossed my fingers. Hope it worked
20/03/2013 at 18:52

Minni, you kicked butt in awful conditions when loads of people would have put their feet up in front of the TV   Well done for getting through it, and also for venting as that looks like it really helped!  Nicely done 

KFC, awesome biking plans!  That's a great post-VLM challenge to have.  Looking forward to hearing how you get on.  I hope you feel better soon ((()))

Carrot, how's the foot doing?  You rolling on a golf ball yet?  Hope Biffy's good, I love their stuff!

, I'd like to say Italy sounded idyllic, but 14 hilly miles???   I hope it was a bit warmer than the UK...

Oompa, fabulous work on the club run   I am so happy for you!!!

Spoons, I'm with O4S on this one, that's my MP!!  But that's great to hear you're making real progress.

Brolish, how's the stretching going?  That's great to hear you're off for a run tomorrow.  Let's hope it all feels good 

AA, I'm with you on looking forward to the taper.  Or rather, my legs are...!!

O4S, glad your back's settling down.  I love the fact you've booked a pre-race hair cut.  I'm sure you'll look very glam crossing the finish line   I hope everything went well today.  Have a retrospective finger cross from me!

Chick, scorching MLR   What time are you targeting?

2old, I had a similar niggle a few years ago with my knee which was put down to tight ITB.  Lots of foam rollering and then some glute exercises to help keep balance in the leg and stop the ITB getting irritable.  Now just read AA's post.  I hope we're both right!  Re.stretches for ITB, stand up, put one leg behind the other (left) and then take the same side arm as the leg behind (left) and lift it up and then bend over towards the other side (right).  Does that make sense?

Col, sounds like a few of us felt like we had duff sessions last night - except I was the only one who ditched it in favour of a recovery run   So technically, I was the only one who DID have a duff session cos it lasted all of about 2 miles   You still got out there and did the work, well done!

Free, the Mike Tomlinson interview had me in tears at one point   Or maybe it was just the wind in my eyes.  No one saw.......

20/03/2013 at 19:03

So I had a really rubbish day today.  I was totally grumpy and really fed up.  This was partly due to my lack of session last night.  This was not due to the fact that I ditched it, I knew instinctively that my legs needed a rest and that pushing on was not the right thing to do, so I actually felt quite pleased with myself for being sensible for once.  I think the problem was more because I felt really sluggish and had really been looking forward to getting rid of a bit of nervous energy with a tempo effort.  I'm revising for a professional exam on Sunday and it is honestly the most boring paper I think I will ever have sat - maybe with the exception of my physics GCSE.....  Anyway, I had a shocking day of revision largely due to self-sabotage, and it was 35 degrees today so I was not looking forward to my 13m MLR tonight.  BUT, it all went really well   My legs felt sooooooo much better than last night so taking it easy was a good call.  I am obviously getting better at running in the heat as I felt strong and comfortable throughout, in fact the only thing that troubled me was a headwind so it managed to skew a couple of my miles, but the main body of my session was 9:05-9:15 m/m and it felt good.  I know I ran my Sunday 20 too fast so I have learned that lesson and it's all going to be 9:00-9:45 for LSRs/MLRs now.

20/03/2013 at 19:26

Thanks everyone - sadly it didn't work but the support made me feel a lot better.  I had my six monthly check-up with the oncologist today and two more malignant tumours were confirmed - I was suspicious about one of them [on my right hand] but the one on my leg was a bit of a shock and not exactly welcome at the moment!! 

Anyway both need to be removed and require plastic surgery [those of you on the forum this time last year might remember the saga of the ear operation which was fortunately a month earlier]Plastic surgeon is away next week so appointment on 2nd April - suggested operation date 16th April!!!  I am going to see if they can fit me in on 9th or if it is OK to wait until 22nd [although not great for the 100 mile event].  Anyway you might see me sporting two smart sets of blue stitches on the green start........

Anyway to work off my frustration I headed out for a 9 mile with 5 at HMP - felt good and kind of cathartic.  Ho Hum, such is life.....

20/03/2013 at 19:43
(((O4S))) I feared that might be the reason for wanting some good luck. I know you've been through this so many times but it can never be easy. Take care of yourself xx

SS - great to get such a good run in after a crap day!
20/03/2013 at 19:44
(((O4S))) you're one tough cookie. Only you would try to fit tumour removal and plastic surgery around marathons and 100m events. And that's what we love about you.

Just back from run and need to eat them I will read SS's essay!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.