RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,741 to 27,760 of 36,952 messages
20/03/2013 at 21:39
O4S ((())). You are such an inspiration to all of us the way you stay positive. Look after yourself.
20/03/2013 at 21:57
O4S- mega hugs !!! Another ultra you're going to crack. ((())))
20/03/2013 at 22:05

Thanks everyone - you have made me feel all warm and fuzzy [although that might have been the wine

Spoons:  loving the blue chamionship start

Simon:  careful, with Mr Z and Daren gone missing I might have to pup my age limit.....

20/03/2013 at 22:12

For all those with niggles and partners who just don't understand.....

and O4S you need to show this to your surgeon.

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 22:13
20/03/2013 at 22:40
Minni- I can't stop laughing, this is halirious and so true!))
20/03/2013 at 22:44

Minni - lesson learned and I consider myself told off There will be no use of the word superior or inferior from now on in (I am new, please forgive me)!

O4S - I have everything crossed for you and sending positive thoughts...

Free - not sure about Cranleigh really. Being a Cranleigh virgin, I was thinking 15 easy with a push on the last 6. What are you thinking?

1m warm up, 5 x 1m reps @ 6:35s yesterday with 400m recoveries and 1m warm down. 9m tonight at 8:20s

My little boy's 3rd birthday tomorrow so have taken the day off work and will run when he's at pre-school!

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 22:45
20/03/2013 at 22:56
Minni - I've already got that one in my favourites on YouTube, brilliant.
May I first apologise for this post. It made me smile last week when you mentioned about being inundated with requests for sponsorship, but I've had this in the pipeline for a few weeks, but just needed to get it finalised.
A few years ago, before I meet you lot, I ran Blackpool marathon for charity in memory of a friend who worked as a volunteer for North West Air Ambulance (NWAA). Coincidently he died suddenly of a heart attack aged 44.
Last month was the 3rd anniversary, and I've been looking to do another challenge. As I can't run at the moment, I thought about doing 42k on a rower, but I think even if I did 100k, it still wouldn't get people's imagination going.
So I've decided to do a bigger challenge this year to hopefully beat the previous total of ??1900. So I've entered a charity bike ride called rideuk24 on June 8-9. It starts at midday on saturday 8th, and finishes at midday on Sunday 9th.This involves riding 250miles from Manchester to London in 24hrs (hopefully). I expect there will be plenty of pain involved, especially from my backside, but it's for a good cause NWAA again.
I've just set up my website:
http://www.justgiving.com/simonwake24 , and info on the ride is: http://www.rideuk24.com
Any support is welcome, but please don't feel you have to donate, as I'm hoping to get most of the donations from work collegues. If you do thou, I might put up a photo of me walking like John Wayne afterwards on Facebook.
Oh, and Minni they even do one in August, 300miles, Newcastle to London if you fancy it!
So that's what I'm going to be upto for the next 11.5 wks. Any tips from veteran endurance bikers welcome, O4S, KFC, DD, Mr Z.
Now where did I put my anti-chafing cream?
Edited: 20/03/2013 at 22:57
20/03/2013 at 23:05

Simon - great cause and the very best of luck with all the training (and chafing)!

Minni - never seen those videos before but, I came very close to pissing wetting myself whilst watching them! Thank you...

20/03/2013 at 23:19
Minni - love the video
Simon- excellent challenge. Suggest you put a bike seat on your ergo too
Blade- welcome to the Minni naughty step. We've all been there. Like your time management around the birthday . I used to do similar around swim lessons, rugby training ,drama lessons....miss those days
O4S- better send a search party out for those missing kids
21/03/2013 at 04:56
Minni, love that video!

Blade, nice mile reps. You need to get a picture sorted for your avatar

Simon, count me in for some sponsorship. Can you post a reminder in May please as I start my job in April so will have some cash by then.

Rest day for me today. My run last night cheered me up massively so I am going to have a good revision day today. Honest. No, really, I am.......!!
21/03/2013 at 06:38
Simon - count me in. For the sponsorship that is, not the Newcastle to London! Looks like a great challenge and a great thing to do in memory of your friend.

SS - revision sounds so boring but the run sounds good. And heat?! What is that???

Blade - love the fact you've taken the day off for the boy but its really to fit your run in!!

We can all identify with the chap in the clip but that woman is a bit mental, eh?
21/03/2013 at 07:28
"I am a marathon runner, I must run"
Love it!!
21/03/2013 at 07:40
AA. wrote (see)
Carter - where abouts is your knee pain? Massage and foam rolling the ITB should relieve a lot of the pain. Do you have pain just running or all the time?

AA - it's mainly on the outside of the knee near the boney bit. I do sometimes get a bit of discomfort at the front of the knee too. Occassionaly I am also getting a sharp pain at the back of the knee going down towards the calf. These slight niggles keep coming and going but the outside knee pain was there constantly during my run last knee and got worse as I did more miles. When I'm not running the pain mainly goes away but it can feel it slightly now and again but it's not painful. My upper outside leg is hurting as well but this is a dull achy type of pain. To me it feels like it is caused by the roller rather than it being related to the knee but I wouldnt know for sure. I'm going to book a sports massage for as soon as I can. So, the obvious question now is can I run some easy miles on it or do I rest it until the massage ? Cheers

21/03/2013 at 08:07

Simon:  Mr O4S is happy to donate a tube of American 'Butt Cream' [yes really] which he was persuaded to buy during our ride across the USA.  He could never actually bring himself to use it and we still have it - the other blokes on the tour swore by it!  My only advice would be to get a really comfortable saddle and wear it in well - if you do that and do a reasonable amount of training you shouldn't have any issues with your backside.  I would also use SPDs rather than racing cleats for that distance.

Ladies:  didn't you love the monotone delivery of 'You are a f***ing idiot', [even if you didn't agree with the reason for saying it]  

21/03/2013 at 08:25
bladerunner07 wrote (see)

Free - not sure about Cranleigh really. Being a Cranleigh virgin, I was thinking 15 easy with a push on the last 6. What are you thinking?

Pretty much the same - pacing @ 8.20-8.30 for 15 and then @ 7.30-7.40 for the last 6. I've predicted 2.50 for my Marchvelous target (you missed out on the fun (?) of that) so I think that works out about that time if I've done my sums right.  I'm number 403 if you spot me. Probably be wearing a pink top, or possibly light blue. Or black. Well, whatever comes out the draw first really. Likely to have a black base layer (sorry Minni but it's going to be cold and I won't be racing) and black shorts, white compression socks. And I look like....my avatar (if you can squint!)

Need to watch the video later - can't access it from work

Off for some intervals later.

21/03/2013 at 08:28
O4S - I regularly use that phrase

Carter - it sounds like ITB pain but I would ease off the foam rollering for a bit as you might be overdoing it. Definitely get booked in for a sports massage ASAP. The therapist can trigger point the ITB much better than foam roller. I found that once I had had a deep massage to my ITB it eased it almost straight away. And I've found the work I do on my clients results in freeing the ITB almost straight away. As far as running goes I would see what you can manage without causing too much pain to yourself. The pain will get worse the further you run though.
21/03/2013 at 08:34

Thanks AA, much appreciated

21/03/2013 at 08:55
Minni/SS - thanks for that.

O4S - I've just ordered some expensive bib shorts and a tub of chamois creme, but butt cream sounds even better, cus those yanks have big butts.
I already use mtn bike spd's, and I'll probably end up living in the garage with my bike, and probably not thru my own choice! Hehe
21/03/2013 at 09:53

O4S - Virtual hugs coming your way, you are a tough one, but I think we knew that already.

Simon - Good luck with the training and the ride which sounds pretty epic.

Minni - Yeah still x training, going to give the tready a go early next week.  Still icing, rolling and stretching.  I've found if I press down  in the painful area I get like an electric shock going down to my ankle which I guess is a nerve issue.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
21/03/2013 at 10:11
Freemers wrote (see)
Well, whatever comes out the draw first really.  

Tsk, what would Mrs Davies say?

Simon, I'm afraid the best solution to sore backside on the bike is miles on the bike.  Finding a saddle that suits you is a must (and it won't necessarily be the one with the most padding!).  Padded mitts too, you can have problems with numb hands after long hours with pressure on your palms.

A guy I know once did a million metres on a rowing erg, it took the best part of a week with it set up outside a supermarket raising money.  Mind you he was training for rowing the Atlantic.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.