RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,761 to 27,780 of 37,093 messages
21/03/2013 at 10:39

I was suopposed to do 10x800s today but took some advice and listened to my tired body too and opted for 7 miles with 6x800s. Did them a bit quicker @15.2 (6:21pace) but didnt want to push it as I think I'm still recovering . But I'm in the camp with 2old, Freemers and Oomps, I love the treadmill!!

21/03/2013 at 10:58
CD, there was a chap who did the rowing challenge outside Sainsbury's in Basingstoke I saw a while back. Can't remember whether he was rowing the Atlantic, or just had nothing better to do I must confess, I quite fancy rowing said ocean, but not sitting outside a supermarket on an erg.....

AA, sounds like you still managed a very good session even though you're tired. I love the TM too It really helped get my confidence up when I started returning to speed work. I shall do my 800s or something similar on it tomorrow.
21/03/2013 at 11:35

Oo, oo, oo guess what's just arrived in the post in red covered plastic, the words 'Registration Form' on the front and a picture of a can of London Pride on the back?

21/03/2013 at 11:42
AA- good to see you not pushing it at 15.2kmph! TMs rock!
Free- now that's exciting
Feeling tired today.may just do a RR later
So even more snow on its way this weekend even on our side of the country. Should make the LRs and races interesting
21/03/2013 at 11:49

Blimey, one day off of the thread and as usual, so much to catch up with.

{{{O4S}}} - Sorry to hear the news but you seem incredibly positive about it, and as Minni (i think) said, who else would schedule the op around VLM and a 100 mile ultra!

Minni - Love the "I am a marathon runner... I must run" link but it's not very realistic is it? In reality Mrs Oompa calls me a f***ing idiot within 30 seconds and goes back to sleep!

Barry - Sorry to hear that you're still benched. Have you tried acupuncture?

Blade - Super mile reps.

Simon - Fantastic challenge, but rather you than me. I did an hour on the bike in the gym on Saturday and got off feeling like i'd spent an intimate evening with "Bubba"! 

Rest day yesterday. Thinking of an 11 mile MLR today? Don't want to do too much too soon but calf feels good... Opinions welcomed.

21/03/2013 at 11:59
Oomp- give it a go , easy ,but do it as loops near home so you can bail out easily if you think the problem is kicking off again
21/03/2013 at 12:01

Oh oh oh!  Exciting magazines coming out.  Only 4 weeks to go.  I'm getting excited!

AA - glad to see you took it a bit easier this morning.

I don't mind doing shorter stuff at speed the treadmill

21/03/2013 at 12:03

2old - Agree, but anywhere near home = hilly, which i want to avoid, so i'll do 4 laps with the running club instead... Boring but flat ('ish).

21/03/2013 at 12:06
Free, yay!! Sadly, I won't get the benefit of my own personal bundle of postal excitement until I fly back on 19th so I will just have to enjoy it vicariously through you all . It's working so far as now I really fancy a pint!!!

Oompa, I'm with 2old on this one. Get out there, don't push it too hard and be able to either get home/get rescued easily.
21/03/2013 at 12:08

Ooops where did the rest of that go...?

I don't mind doing shorter stuff at speed on the treadmill, up to 800m, but its the longer stuff at speed that I struggle with.  However, seeing the improvements that AA and 2old have made recently I'm wondering if I'm missing a trick.   Do you think it helps train the legs to turn over quicker than if running outside? 

I need Moz to give me shorter reps to do.  He makes everything so hard.

Worrying about my key MP run scheduled for tomorrow night with all this snow forecast.  Its already white here.

21/03/2013 at 12:29

Minni- that clip had me and MrB in stitches for good 20min last night. I still keep on giggling every time I think of it. Brilliant.

AA- speedy reps. I like your version of an easy workout.

So what is it that starts arriving in the post?  I'm a newbe when it comes to this VLM business, you know...

5m easy done this morning. I was up at 5am and just couldn't wait to get out there. Explained to MrB that the reason I'm running so early is because I'm injured and I need an extra hour to do my stretches and ice up after the run. He was very understanding. Took it very easy and did the first couple of miles around 9.30mm to make sure I'm well warmed up. The shins cooperated and there was no pain.  I am going to keep on stretching and icing up religiously and hope for the best.

Right, I need to go now. I'm a maraton runner and I need to do some stretches.

21/03/2013 at 12:42
My husband told my I was fecking mental when I got up at 4:45 yesterday morning to run. He also said the same thing when I headed out in the cold again last night.
21/03/2013 at 12:47
Minni wrote (see)
My husband told my I was fecking mental

He was right....

21/03/2013 at 12:48

Simon - great challenge. Sounds like you'll need loads of butt cream

21/03/2013 at 12:48

Now I have gym membership I'm starting to wonder if I should do some treadmill training as well....

21/03/2013 at 12:52
Minni - my view FWi is that a lot of what we do is about training in muscle memory and the TM is great for doing as it is constant and consistent ,we don't have the added demand of thinking about getting to the required pace. ,its done for us. When in a race where we want to run at a particular pace the pace can often be set by another runner and I let the 'memory' kick in ,if that person slows up or goes too fast I find someone else to use as the pace setter. It seems to take a bit of the work load off which over time makes a difference. Also where there isnt anyone setting the pace for me I try to visualise a TM session. Eg 12k from the end of VLM I thought of the numerous sessions I did on the TM for that distance and pacecand it seemed a manageable . I use the TM for long and short sessions and guess 25-30% of my runs are on the TM. I'm probably talking cr@p but that's my theory.
Hope the snow lays off for you ..how far is your MP run? If its less than 10 miles I'd do it on the TM as its about getting the feel for the pace as much as anything
Bro- your post reminds me of the video. I run because I'm injured? Glad shins were ok
21/03/2013 at 12:53
Freemers wrote (see)
bladerunner07 wrote (see)

Free - not sure about Cranleigh really. Being a Cranleigh virgin, I was thinking 15 easy with a push on the last 6. What are you thinking?

Pretty much the same - pacing @ 8.20-8.30 for 15 and then @ 7.30-7.40 for the last 6. I've predicted 2.50 for my Marchvelous target (you missed out on the fun (?) of that) so I think that works out about that time if I've done my sums right.  I'm number 403 if you spot me. Probably be wearing a pink top, or possibly light blue. Or black. Well, whatever comes out the draw first really. Likely to have a black base layer (sorry Minni but it's going to be cold and I won't be racing) and black shorts, white compression socks. And I look like....my avatar (if you can squint!)

Need to watch the video later - can't access it from work

Off for some intervals later.

Free - I'll look out for you! I'll be wearing an orange lightweight jacket and black / blue shorts. Number 595

AA - like your version of an 'easier' session!

Oompa - I'm with 2old and SS. Do the run but maybe laps near home in case you need to bail out...

Bro - keep icing and stretching those shin splints. Glad you and MrB recreated Minni's video clip for us this morning!

SS - tried putting a pic for the avatar but my pic files are all too big?

21/03/2013 at 12:59
2old - it's 12m after a 3 mile warm up.

Interesting thoughts on the TM. Certainly got me thinking.
21/03/2013 at 13:10

O4S - looking forward to stitches and surgical arrows on the green start then...   Seriously, hoping the next weeks go as smooth as possible.

Simon - phew, great challenge.  It took me 4 days and about 30 hours total riding time on my London to Newcastle ride the other week - 24 hours would be a big challenge!  The only advice I can give is do lots of riding, and apply vaseline in the morning and savlon in the evening.  Oh, and get a nosebag for your top tube that you can continually eat from.

Another slow 3M run today.  HR still high, but a bit better than yesterday.  Will I be fit to race my mormon half on Saturday?  Hope so...  

21/03/2013 at 13:11
Minni - try it on the TM ...perfect distance with warm up
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.