RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,821 to 27,840 of 37,507 messages
22/03/2013 at 06:29

Good morning folks!  Weather....    

Simon - we'll enjoy following your training. 

AA - I'm like you and just not sure what to do today.  My run will have to start after work but hoping I can be out on the road by 5pm.  Looking at the weather I might do the 3:15 duration run tonight and leave the MP run to Sunday.  It really depends on the weather.  Looking at the forecast we might just miss the worst since we're close to the coast.

22/03/2013 at 06:58

Simon - it looks easy when you break it down like that  

22/03/2013 at 09:49

Simon -  Thanks for the message, I will reply when the system lets me. Is it just me having problems messaging?

Brol/Carrot - good news on your injuries.

Oompa - are you off the naughty step yet? Never tried acupuncture and don't really want try anything different/or chuck more money at the injury so hoping another 2 weeks of no running has done the trick.  Tried hopping x 50 on it this morning at the gym after my x training session and no pain so fingers crossed for next week.

Received the VLM mag yesterday and kinda hit home how close it is and must admit, due to may lack of running,  a bit of apprehension kicked in but what will be will be.

22/03/2013 at 10:22
2old - I haven't looked at the profile yet. But if they have included some monster hills into the 250miles, then they are sick!

Basically I'm using my marathon training knowledge I've gained from Team Minni, and applying to biking. So I'll go off way to fast and blow up after about 50miles. I'll find some blonde with a flicky ponytail and hang on her arse, and then sprint past her at the finish. Oh and if I use 2old's plan, I'll turn up half an hour late at the start.
Edited: 22/03/2013 at 10:25
22/03/2013 at 10:22
Brutal morning here
Minni - only an idiot would consider running in these conditions so that's ok for many here. TM for me and fingers crossed for a LR on Sunday
Barry- it's looking positive for you but I know what you mean about apprehension. I didn't do any LRs for my first marathon in the last 5 weeks due to knee injury but it went pretty well in the circumstances. Don't forget all those miles done in the Autumn. In my 2010 VLM marathon I did 120 odd miles for Jan and Feb ,200 for March and ran 3.15....21 secs too slow for GFA..the 2 marathons I did the year before must have still been in my legs.
AA- looks like a TM 20
22/03/2013 at 11:21

Morning all...

Exciting to hear about all the VLM packs arriving for you guys.

Is the Oompa vs Minni bout over or are we ding ding, Round 2? Gues that depends on how well behaved you are Oompa!

Free - Guess you'll be wearing the base layer and the pink top on Sunday?

Threshold run for me at lunchtime - 6 miler with the middle 4 a HM pace. Like everyone else, sick to death of the weather. Unlikely to be on here tomorrow so good luck to everyone for their runs at the weekend.

22/03/2013 at 12:11

Barry/Blade - I've called in sick at work today as i'm too scared to leave the house!!! 

Simon - After last weeks hour on the exercise bike, your schedule makes me squirm, just looking at it. 

Calf update... Feels okay this morning after a rub with the Jointace gel from OH and another night spent with calf guard on... Wonder if i should ask Minni whether it'd be a good idea to race Hastings half this Sunday???

22/03/2013 at 12:21
VLM magazine arrived. I'm in the Green Start. Anyone here around to keep me company?
Oomp- good idea to avoid the risk of injury at work . Yes race it flat out.
Col- not long left to endure training in these conditions
22/03/2013 at 12:39

2old - I think there will be a few on green start. How do you get on green? I thought FGFA was from red start with red no. on yellow background?

22/03/2013 at 12:40

2old - I think there will be a few on green start. How do you get on green? I thought FGFA was from red start with red no. on yellow background?

I'm on blue start. 

22/03/2013 at 12:41

A TM Minni man on the Green Start!! Whatever next!   What is your target time 2old?

22/03/2013 at 12:46

Hi everyone. Forgive my ignorance but what's with the different coloured starts at VLM ? I'm running at Manchester, will it be the same there or is this unique to VLM ? Are the different colours instead of having 'time pens' to stand at the start ?

22/03/2013 at 12:56

Carter - It's just because of the sheer amount of runners at London... Oh, and also as a way to keep the riff raff away from the gentry and celebs!

22/03/2013 at 13:01

O4S- good luck tomorrow and Sunday! Better you than me in this weather.

Simon- where do we sponsor? Sounds like a great challenge.

Carter- it's unique to VLM. They have different starts for charity/ ballott runners/ GFA/ champs etc. 

My mag arrived last night, I'm joining the party on the green start.

8m @ MP with warm up/ cd planned for tonight. If my shins don't go off today I will start being quietly optimistic.

22/03/2013 at 13:06

Minni: hilarious vid! PML - I'm a marathon runner  -  I must run. You are a fcking idiot ...     well, Mr Chick wouldn't dare call me that but I bet that's what he though. Generally he tells me I'm nuts.

Simon: wow, that's what I call a challenge. Best of luck! Sorry to hear about your friend passing away so young. Reminds me a bit of this week's marathon talk where they talk about a guy winning a marathon in 3:07. Pushing his daughter in a buggy. The guy has a terminal brain tumour. And his advice to us all: don't wait to change your life until someone tells you you are going to die. Count me in for sponsorship!

AA: doing 800s despite being tired . You are bliddy hardcore. Respect. I canned my 600s for the week. I have too many niggles . I can just about bear them on the slower runs but especially my foot pain is always triggered by speedwork.

Can't believe there's no fridge magnet this year! Scandalous  As for moving the start time

Weather is a right ole nightmare, innit? I was faced with -5 degrees, bitterly cold wind and horizontal snow for parts of the run. I still managed a really good MLR though. 15 miles which I split into 6 lots of 2.5 alternating steady/MPsteady/MP etc. Managed 7:45 for the MP and 8mm for the steady miles. Quite happy with that. But my legs started to hurt badly by the end. Not looking forward to Sunday's 22 miler . Strong winds are forecast and my alternative route where I would have a crosswind is out of the question as it's covered in 5cm of pure ice. So I have to use the road out and back. Bugger...

Oomps: am with you on the treadmill. They are horrid. I always feel like a cheat on them. And I don't trust them because so many are badly calibrated. I remember when I started running I did this in a gym on the TM and I was comfortable churning out 8mm (12kph -- at least I thought I did). First run outside: didn't even manage 10mm ...  It may be better when you have your own one at home coz you can calibrate it. But I like my home to be neat   and wouldn't want a TM in the house.
That run yesterday was nuts! I hope you didn't upset the calf again by being stupid ...
col: good luck with your half on Sunday

FRC: puke inducing intervals indeed . Well done!

Carrot: great speedwork! And good news on the foot injury front.

O4S: enjoy Dartmoor

Minni: I forgot to answer your question about marathon talk episodes worth listening to. Deffo the 2 Kurt Fearnley ones. That man is a hero, he really is. I think one of the episodes contains a neverending boring plug about those new mega-cushioned adidas shoes - I would fast forward that - it'll send you to sleep . And the Mike Tomlinson one is one of my faves too. That one is pretty emotional though. Prepare to burst out in tears . The most recent one should be good too - it's with Libby James who seems to be a female Ed Whitlock. She's just achieved a 103% age grading running a half marathon in 1:45 aged 76 . She seems to be a slightly older version of O4S . I haven't listend to it yet but I bet it's good.

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 13:07
22/03/2013 at 13:06

Bro: crossing my fingers for your and your shins!

22/03/2013 at 13:17

I'm looking to go under 3hr 30 for the first time at the rotterdam marathon in 3 weeks time...I havent entered a race for 6 months, so thought i better try to fit one in....The 3 options that i'm considering are:

10M race 16 days before rotterdam

10KM race 13 days before rotterdam

Or neither and just concentrate on tapering....

any advise on which of these 3 options to go for and how to run it, or does it really make little difference?

22/03/2013 at 13:29

richardson83 - None of the above... just do your taper. Both of the races are too close to your A race and therefore the risk of injury too great.

POT, KETTLE, BLACK I HEAR YOU CRY!

Oh, and lastly... Ffs don't ask Minni... You'll regret it!

22/03/2013 at 13:31

Hi Richardson- I don't think it will make a big difference but I would go for the 10 miler.  Why do you want to race?  To give you a better idea what to aim for in Rotterdam or just to get to grips with race conditions/ practice fuelling?

22/03/2013 at 13:31

Simon - is that training plan seriously asking you to do 4 consecutive weeks of 14+ hour rides just before the event?  I think I'd prefer to do a few weekends with 2 consecutive 100M rides and probably one 15+ hour day.  The mega commute will be really great training too.  I'd definitely check out local sportives and club rides - great way to get 80+ mile rides in.

Got my mag - Green start for me.

OK, went out for a 3M with 1M wu and 2 at planned pace for the half tomorrow (7.30-40).  Heart flipped out of rhythm after 2M.  Hmm, thats a sure sign I'm still a bit ill.  I want to avoid a DNF due to my heart flipping out.  Will make a decision tonight from the options below.

1) Original plan - start at 1:40 pace (7:40/mile) and aim to take it up in the last few miles to get my target 1:38

2) More conservative - aim for a 1:45 MP training run

3) Bin it

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.