RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,841 to 27,860 of 37,320 messages
22/03/2013 at 13:34
Oompa wrote (see)

richardson83 - None of the above... just do your taper. Both of the races are too close to your A race and therefore the risk of injury too great.

POT, KETTLE, BLACK I HEAR YOU CRY!

Oh, and lastly... Ffs don't ask Minni... You'll regret it!

I'm doing a 10k 14 days before VML.    Fickle, aren't I?

22/03/2013 at 13:37

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a shorter race 2-3 weeks before the mara, especially if you need it to set the target. I wouldn't do anything longer than 10m though.

22/03/2013 at 13:45

Brolish - A bit of both really, i've done all of my long training runs in the evenings, so i would like to get to grips with fuelling for a morning run (although i guess that can be done out of race conditions). And like a lot of people with 3 weeks to go i'm starting to question the marathon race pace i have in mind!

22/03/2013 at 14:03

Gah. Great run yesterday, so I go ruin it all and wake up with a cold and a hangover today. 

Grumble.

22/03/2013 at 14:15

We're going to have a party on the Green start

Minni - nightmare weather conditions...I'd probably do the 20 tonight so it's done. At least other sessions you can change or miss if necessary. I think we're going to escape any meaningful snow, and there's none forecast in Cranleigh for my race. (Blade - definitely the base layer!)

Richardson83 - welcome to the thread . I'd probably do the 10 mile myself, but might not push it to the max.

7 miles easy for me today. Well easy pace but the wind made it feel harder! 

22/03/2013 at 14:18
Oops- I think Minni arranged a green start for me. My previous visits to FGFA were based on a 3.10 time not 3.14 as this one is. I'm going to have to get used to company I think
KFC - run feeling comfortable and don't look at your watch until the end
Minni - nothing wrong with a 10 k unless you have calf issues
Rich- should be ok to race it if you leave 2 weeks before the race
Chick. - keep battling the elements you know it's worthwhile - excellent MLR
22/03/2013 at 14:30

Richardson83 - welcome. I have only recently started posting here. They are a great bunch and you will get some great advice. I did my first sub 3:30 at Rotterdam in 2010. It's a great course with the only incline being going over a bridge twice. It was quite congested at the start but I think that was because I started at the back of the pen I was in.

Brolish - good luck with your run tonight. I hope your shins behave themselves.

Chickadee- good run from you. I tried a multi pace session on Tuesday and failed miserably

2old- I think a jacket may well be called for in tomorrow's half. At the very least I will be wearing a long sleeve top and a t shirt. I hope Minni doesn't mind too much! The run is on the coast and it's an out and back route so there will be no hiding from the wind which is forecast to be gale force.

kfc- I did a silimar to run to you last night with 2m at half marathon pace in the middle of a 6m run. It was really hard work and my breathing was awful. On top of that I have a cold and I seem to have developed a slight niggle in my left foot.

Blue start for me at VLM. To get GFA I need a 3:15, but I think that is just beyond me for this year.

Good luck to everyone racing or LSRing this weekend.

22/03/2013 at 14:52

I've still not decided which run to do tonight. Freemers I'm tending to think my 15 with 12 @ MP is more important than the duration run so that's the one I'm focusing on.  Plan is to set out tonight and if its mega windy (looks like it is) I'll do the duration and leave the effort one for Sunday.  The thought of running for 3:15 straight after work is making me feel a bit  since about half of it will be in the dark, which means round and round the small town.

22/03/2013 at 14:59

Oompa, you are a contradiction! Only 4 weeks to go, with that calf - almost cotton wool time.. any need to race the half fully, rather than MP, maybe with some miles around it?

Simon, a lot of miles in that bike plan, much respect. (does a lot of miles equal a lot of food and cake?).

2old, I know the Runcorn bridge one. Definitely good to do, those odd distance races 4-5.5m I've done for leagues help you push harder at that pesky 10k distance. The 10k on 29th has closed for postal, but not sure about on the day entry.. search for Salford Harriers 10k. There is also Air Products south manchester 10 k 31st if you want the full distance.

10 miles MP for me with pals last night before the snow arrived, first 4m on our hill session route so up & down made it much harder but good practice to cope with surges maybe. Felt good last night. 10m @ av 7:17 with a 6:30 last mile.

Few races already cancelled this weekend, Excalibur marathon in the Welsh Hills, Conniston 14. wonder if O4S's one will go ahead.

Anyone near Leicester area can tell me what the snow is like there? Training course there Mon-Wed and getting train there.

Awful weather, Everyone be careful out there.

22/03/2013 at 15:05
FRC- thanks for the race info. Good MP session from you . I had a place for Coniston- wonder what happens about it. I had a trip to Rugby planned this weekend but its been cancelled due to the weather. Not sure if that's as a precaution or its bad there
Col- looks like you're going to be blown away . No negative thinking about sub 3.15 allowed here.
22/03/2013 at 15:46
KFC - I think it is total weekly mileage, as apposed to a single long ride.

FRC - That's the beauty of biking, you can stop and stuff your face and then carry on.

For those who want the link again......
http://www.justgiving.com/simonwake24 , for internet donations, and you can now donate by text. Just text WAKE51 to 70070 and the amount, and 100% goes to the charity.
For more info on the ride: http://www.rideuk24.com.

It looks like it could be a cold/snowy long ride on Sunday.
22/03/2013 at 16:31
Simon- you might pass me on the street on Sunday
22/03/2013 at 17:18

2old aren't you lucky getting to spend your pre-VLM hours at the Green start with us lot

Sounds like a good MLR Chick! Hope the wind dies down a bit for Sunday's MLR.  Just one more week then taper time, keep at it

Richardson like Minni I'm doing a 10K two weeks before London.  I don't think it's too close, or at least I'll find out at London if it is!  Is it just for the sake of getting a race in, or to give you an idea of a target time?  If it's for the target time I'd go for the 10M, I don't think 10K can give an accurate prediction of marathon times. 

I hope Thirsk 10 isn't cancelled on Sunday, partly because I want to run as fast as I can and partly because I CNBA to do a long run on my own in the horrible weather.  

22/03/2013 at 17:46
Evening all. Sorry to jump straight in with a "me, me, me", but I'm just having a bit of a meltdown. I am so angry with myself. No injuries, everything is fine from that perspective, but I just let my day get totally derailed by other people, ended up somewhere without food, hadn't eaten for about 6 hours and jumped on the TM at 9pm to do a speed session. Felt totally light-headed and sick after 10 mins of speedwork and so cut the session and came home. So my question is, do I try doing my session again tomorrow when Im fed and rested, or just can it for the week? The reason I'm a bit unsure is because I've got my long run on Sunday and can't run it on Monday as it's my birthday and OH is taking me out and I don't know what we are doing. Is it OK to do speedwork tomorrow and then a 15m long run with 8@mp the next day?

Sorry for the grizzles, I'm just cross with myself. I hope everyone else is doing OK.
22/03/2013 at 18:08

Long Runs are most important for me Speed Sheep, you too as well probably.

Speed session isn't worth that much right now, LSR is where its at these last 2 weeks. You could do a little half speed session without maxing out, maybe do 3-5 yassos, a short w/m & c/d. I like the idea of rest though and get a stonking LSR the next day for the confidence.

Some of us are out on our birthday for long runs - the day before you.

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 18:12
22/03/2013 at 19:38

SS Moz always says not to play catch up.  If you miss a session just forget it and move on.  This is exactly what I'd advise you to do.  Just do a short slow run tomorrow if you feel the need to run, and then nail the session on Sunday.  As FRC says that is the most important run.

Carrot - I wonder is Thirsk will be cancelled?  The snow seems to be pretty bad down that way but it will clear quickly if it stops.  I hope its on for you.  Are you doing the Blyth 10k too?  I know we talked about it ages ago but cant remember.

The weather here today has been totally weird.  We've been on the edge of a storm all day - its been wild, dark and snowing on and off all day but the snow has been so fine and dry its been swirling around and not lying.

I needed to get one of the sessions in but still couldn't decide as I set out what to do.  Decided to just head out and see what happened.  A mile down the road and I decided to do the 12 @ MP using a circular route of about 1.8 miles.  Headwind, crosswind and tailwind.  Round and Round.  Bits into the wind were hard and it was biting cold, the side winds were manageable and of course the tailwind was lush!

Got to about 6 miles (halfway) and the temperature dropped more and the wind seem to get even stronger but I was at the point of no return so had to just knuckle down and get on with it.  Finished 12m @ 7:22.    (7:28, 7:24, 7:24, 7:27, 7:23, 7:39, 7:26, 7:20, 7:33, 7:13, 7:18, 7:00)  I felt this was really important session and needed it to go well so feeling really pleased.  I did this same run last year and it averaged 7:17 (on a different route) so chuffed this was just a tiny big slower but in harder conditions. 

22/03/2013 at 20:18

Minni - Good confidence boosting run in naff conditions, 7:20 planned MP then or still under discussion?

SS - Can the speedwork, 5 miles slow at the most tomorrow then the long one sunday.

Richardson -  Welcome, I'd race the 10K.

Col/Oompa - I'm on Blue aswell, what target times did you put down?

FRC - Nice MP miles.

Col - Good luck for tomorrow, where is the race?

22/03/2013 at 20:36
Minni - Great Mlr in tough conditions and good pace.

SS - Like everyone says, ditch it and move on, lsr's are key.

2old - I'll look out for you on Sunday...as you come flying passed me
22/03/2013 at 20:53
Ugh, decision made, gonna DNS tomorrow. Just not feeling right yet
22/03/2013 at 20:54

SS your 15 with 8 @ MP on Sunday is still a quality run rather than a 'normal' LSR, best to be fresh for a key run like that and nail it rather than tire yourself out tomorrow and have a mediocre MP session.  Have a lovely birthday on Monday, hope you're being taken somewhere nice 

Yes I'm doing Blyth Minni, I am easily talked into races if I think they're fast and flat!  It was perfect timing anyway - I have a 10M with 6 @ 10K pace run scheduled for that weekend so I thought it was easier to enter a 10K rather than trying to run 6M at 10K pace while dodging traffic and dog walkers.  Well done powering through your MP session tonight!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.