RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,861 to 27,880 of 37,119 messages
22/03/2013 at 21:01

kfc but good that you're being sensible. This is the time for getting better.

Barry - there have been no discussions yet! I think I'm on my own.   I really want to try and slip under 3:15, which is about 7:26 pace (off the top of my head).  London always measures long on the garmin so I'm thinking trying to stick to 7:20-22 for as long as possible.  I'm hoping me and AA can team up together again.  We ran together 2 years ago for sub 3:30 coming in at 3:28.  

Here's a marathonfoto of us sharing resources:    Bugger pics still not working.

22/03/2013 at 21:41

Evening! Busy on here today. I'm on a rest day having a beer. Freezing cold out there.....

22/03/2013 at 22:01
Minni - well done on fantastic run tonight with 12m at marathon pace. You are well on course for a sub 3:15. It's always nice to finish with a few faster miles too. You must be very happy

Barry - I am not sure what time I put down for vlm but from memory I was in pen 2 last year so would hope for the same again this year.

My race tomorrow has just been cancelled. I may try to do 15m tomorrow instead with some at marathon pace. Unfortunately we have a good 5 inches of snow here so I will wait until the morning before I decide.
22/03/2013 at 22:45
Minni- cracking MLR in aweful conditions. Bet you are pleased to see those splits falling into place. I haven't decided who from this thread is going to pace me on 21st now I'm on the Green Start. I'm looking for volunteers.,....to take it in turns - relay style-pacing me to the end. Are there pens for the Green start? How does it work there? Can't remember what target time I put...3.14probably.
Spoons- rest and beer ,the perfect combination
Col- shame about the cancelled race, hope you manage to get the 15 done though the forecast seems to be getting worse ...at least it is here anyway
KFC- think its DNS for everyone who hoped to race tomorrow
Another TM session today .16.3k av pace7.34 included10k in 45 mins on a undulating /hilly setting
Rest tomorrow. Bit worried about this developing ITB issue. Where is it best to roller it?
22/03/2013 at 23:59
2old the best place to get your ITB sorted is a sports massage. 20-30 quid well spent then foam roll. I go near to central station.
Ps Don't think you need a pacer.. Don't fancy carrying a sub 3:15 board with Minni's team on it for some of us to follow?

Minni great run and spot on pacing. Thought London measuring long was due to Garmin signal dropout, lots of mile splits jumping?

Kfc right decision.

Not a nice night. Elderly neighbour left their dog out in the snow from 5pm, still no sign off them, with other neighbours tried to give him some cover but ended up calling RSPCA. Dog somewhere in back garden but was distressed. Didn't want to call but....: (
Edited: 23/03/2013 at 00:01
23/03/2013 at 00:08
FRC- ok I will carry a flag provided you carry the coffee and cake ...I take it you're Green start too? Better ring my physio on Monday. I always lose my Garmin signal for a time at London ,not as bad as the Mersey tunnel but enough to create uncertainty about the finishing time. Even a dog shouldn't be left out in this ..nice one.
23/03/2013 at 04:39
Thanks everyone for keeping me sane. I'm just annoyed as i canned my tempo session on Tue as legs were too tired from my not exactly S LSR on Sunday and was really looking forward to my nailing my pyramid yesterday. So I just felt massively irritable that it hadn't gone right (well, hadn't gone at all, really) yesterday because I'd planned my whole day around revising and running and I let people talk me out of it and ended up somewhere I really did not want to be talking to a load of people I didn't know, all the while thinking "I'm a marathon runner, I must run". I am so cross with myself as I'm usually very good at being selfish about my studies and my training, when I have to be, and yesterday I deviated from the plan (OCD, I know, but don't tell me you're not all the same!) and the outcome was one very grizzly Sheep I suppose the fact I've got an exam on Sunday is also not helping my state of mind.....

FRC, have a great day on Sunday. It's not the fact that it's my birthday which means I can't do my LSR on Monday, it's the fact OH has taken the day off and I really don't think disappearing off would go down too well.....

Sorry to hear the weather is still so miserable. It sucks, it honestly does. I'm also on the Green Start so it should be a fun way to kick of the race!

Minni/FRC, great MP sections! So pleased it is feeling so good for both of you Poor snow hound, that doesn't sound like much fun for him. I hope he's OK now.

kFC, tough call, but sounds like exactly the right one. Rest up and I hope you feel better soon.
2old, try concentrating on the hip area to loosen ITB from the top. If this is too tight, that area should feel painful when you roller it. Enjoy!
23/03/2013 at 06:51

Think I might have to hit the turbo trainer today. It's too cold to go outside...

23/03/2013 at 06:57
Minni - Fantastic MLR. Nice consistent splits in horrid conditions.

Barry - Think I put down 3.14?

FRC - I have absolutely no intention of racing Hastings HM this Sunday, the "should I ask Minni" thing was very tongue-in-cheek.

On this subject, I'm thinking of a 4-5 mile recovery later today with an lsr tomorrow as I've missed two lsr's in the last 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.
23/03/2013 at 07:50

OK - serious question - now I am back running a bit, one change in my life is I am now a gym member and thus have access to a treadmill. I haven't actually been on it yet but with the current weather conditions I am feeling drawn to it rather than face the snow. My question to all the treadmill fans out there is what runs do you do on the treadmill as opposed to outside and why? I can understand the weather aspect but I can't work out why some of you seem to spend hours on the thing outside of winter.... But if there is a training benefit then obviously I'll give it a go!

23/03/2013 at 07:58
Good question Spoons....
23/03/2013 at 08:48

Minni - well done for completing your MP run last night in awful conditions. Like you say, tough, tough conditions and those ones are definitely character builders. More importantly though, great use of the word lush. One my west country favourites... that's gert lush, that is!

KFC - definitely the right decision, hope you feel better soon

Simon - looking forward to hearing all about your training and the challenges you're going to face, rather you than me! Very nice thing to do for your friend

SS - good luck with your 15 with 8MP tomorrow. Don't worry about the missed session, just think about how far you'll have come when you complete that session strongly on Sunday. And if it helps, I've not done a single quality session since a week last Wednesday

Ant - hope you made it through the hangover! Looking forward to seeing how you go in Paris, think you'll nail it

Oompa - glad to hear your calf is now alright (and enjoyed reading you on the naughty step). Any news on yours Barry?

Spoons - can't answer that one I'm afraid. I've only been on a TM twice in my life.1 was jet-lagged in Hong Kong at 4am and the other was for a gym test where the woman said 'you won't complete the London to Brighton bike ride in your shape' to which I politely told her where to go and walked out. I was 22 at the time - as it happened I played cricket on the Saturday, scored 50, got absolutely hammered, had kebab and chips at 3am and headed to the start at 5am. I was absolutely fine!

23/03/2013 at 08:54

Quick update from me as have been a bit all over the place the past week. Dad is still in hospital - stomach didn't react very well to op, and we're just playing the awful waiting game to find out what it is. He managed a sandwich yesterday, which was his first meal for 12 days, so fingers crossed that side of it is on the mend at least.

I really have no idea how you do it O4S - you are hard as nails and so positive, a real inspiration to us all. I hope your surgery goes well and that they manage to time it so as not to mess up your plans.

Unsurprisingly, training has taken a bit of a back seat this week as have been trying to sneak out here and there but haven't really managed a decent session. I'm not going to be in sub 3.30 shape for MK anyway, so I'm in 'what the hell' mode. I know I could get around in 4hrs if it was tomorrow, so we'll just see how it goes.

I'm planning to try and get out to do 22 tomorrow morning but I'm watching a snow blizzard out of the window as I type...  

Edited: 23/03/2013 at 08:55
23/03/2013 at 10:37
Red - Fingers crossed for your dad. Yes I'll keep you up to date with the training, 70miler planned for tomorrow.

Spoons - Zip up your man suit and get out there. Just like running in this weather, it prepares you for your race/challenge..

SS - Have a happy birthday tomorrow, even thou you've got an exam.
23/03/2013 at 10:52
Red - must be an awful waiting game. Hope you here something positive soon.

Minni - great run in awful conditions. Will you get the duration run done?

Spoons - I use TM for intervals mainly because they're impossible to do at lunchtimes in London and I have no access to a track. But you use a track for those don't you? In which case I'm not sure a TM would have any advantage.

In hairdressers currently for my pre-VLM colour and cut . Reading a crappy celeb magazine - quote from someone from Hollyoaks who says she's training for the London marathon. "I'm running 13-16 miles a week". I hope she meant her long run and not the total for the whole week!
23/03/2013 at 11:01

Freemers wrote (see)

Spoons - I use TM for intervals mainly because they're impossible to do at lunchtimes in London and I have no access to a track. But you use a track for those don't you? In which case I'm not sure a TM would have any advantage.

Well.. There is a sort of track we use in the summer evenings. To be honest it's actually a school playing field with some paint on the grass, on a slope, no floodlights, only 300m, sometimes the grass is too long etc etc....

23/03/2013 at 11:19

Red - Hope you get good news.

Spoons - I'm with Free on this one. I use the TM for speedwork and intervals as i'm so bad at pacing and obviously you can set the exact speed on them. I only use them for other runs if the weather is so bad that it is dangerous to run outside. Also, due to the a/c in my gym being shite, i like to kid myself that the occasional long 'un on the TM is good practice for a hot raceday???

Much as i hate them they are a necessary evil.

Free - That'll be fun to watch is that is her weekly mileage!  Even i've managed more than that this week, with one good leg and a dressing down from Minni!!  

23/03/2013 at 11:36
Red - hope your dad continues to slowly improve and you get some good news on the results.

There was an actor used to post on the sub 3:15 thread. I can't rember his name right now but I can picture him. At the time he was a main part in a children's tv programme about parents from space... hang on I'll google.
23/03/2013 at 11:41
My Parents are Aliens. Tony Gardner. And google tells he he ran 3:37 last year and is going for it again this year. He needs to get on here!!
23/03/2013 at 12:07

Woke up to an email saying my planned race has been cancelled - snow in croydon? wtf? Dont believe a word of it from the view out my window.  Oh well, makes me feel a bit better about the DNS.  Going to get a GP appointment to get my bloods done and see if theres anything else going on.

Spoons - personally I see treadmill as a last resort, I would always rather run outside.  Guess it depends on how you like your running.  

Freemers - I've followed that low mileage marathon training plan before!  (in fact, looking at the last month, I think I'm following it now!)

Simon - that training plan sounds a lot more sensible as a weekly mileage!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.