RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,881 to 27,900 of 36,984 messages
23/03/2013 at 06:57
Minni - Fantastic MLR. Nice consistent splits in horrid conditions.

Barry - Think I put down 3.14?

FRC - I have absolutely no intention of racing Hastings HM this Sunday, the "should I ask Minni" thing was very tongue-in-cheek.

On this subject, I'm thinking of a 4-5 mile recovery later today with an lsr tomorrow as I've missed two lsr's in the last 2 weeks. Fingers crossed.
23/03/2013 at 07:50

OK - serious question - now I am back running a bit, one change in my life is I am now a gym member and thus have access to a treadmill. I haven't actually been on it yet but with the current weather conditions I am feeling drawn to it rather than face the snow. My question to all the treadmill fans out there is what runs do you do on the treadmill as opposed to outside and why? I can understand the weather aspect but I can't work out why some of you seem to spend hours on the thing outside of winter.... But if there is a training benefit then obviously I'll give it a go!

23/03/2013 at 07:58
Good question Spoons....
23/03/2013 at 08:48

Minni - well done for completing your MP run last night in awful conditions. Like you say, tough, tough conditions and those ones are definitely character builders. More importantly though, great use of the word lush. One my west country favourites... that's gert lush, that is!

KFC - definitely the right decision, hope you feel better soon

Simon - looking forward to hearing all about your training and the challenges you're going to face, rather you than me! Very nice thing to do for your friend

SS - good luck with your 15 with 8MP tomorrow. Don't worry about the missed session, just think about how far you'll have come when you complete that session strongly on Sunday. And if it helps, I've not done a single quality session since a week last Wednesday

Ant - hope you made it through the hangover! Looking forward to seeing how you go in Paris, think you'll nail it

Oompa - glad to hear your calf is now alright (and enjoyed reading you on the naughty step). Any news on yours Barry?

Spoons - can't answer that one I'm afraid. I've only been on a TM twice in my life.1 was jet-lagged in Hong Kong at 4am and the other was for a gym test where the woman said 'you won't complete the London to Brighton bike ride in your shape' to which I politely told her where to go and walked out. I was 22 at the time - as it happened I played cricket on the Saturday, scored 50, got absolutely hammered, had kebab and chips at 3am and headed to the start at 5am. I was absolutely fine!

23/03/2013 at 08:54

Quick update from me as have been a bit all over the place the past week. Dad is still in hospital - stomach didn't react very well to op, and we're just playing the awful waiting game to find out what it is. He managed a sandwich yesterday, which was his first meal for 12 days, so fingers crossed that side of it is on the mend at least.

I really have no idea how you do it O4S - you are hard as nails and so positive, a real inspiration to us all. I hope your surgery goes well and that they manage to time it so as not to mess up your plans.

Unsurprisingly, training has taken a bit of a back seat this week as have been trying to sneak out here and there but haven't really managed a decent session. I'm not going to be in sub 3.30 shape for MK anyway, so I'm in 'what the hell' mode. I know I could get around in 4hrs if it was tomorrow, so we'll just see how it goes.

I'm planning to try and get out to do 22 tomorrow morning but I'm watching a snow blizzard out of the window as I type...  

Edited: 23/03/2013 at 08:55
23/03/2013 at 10:37
Red - Fingers crossed for your dad. Yes I'll keep you up to date with the training, 70miler planned for tomorrow.

Spoons - Zip up your man suit and get out there. Just like running in this weather, it prepares you for your race/challenge..

SS - Have a happy birthday tomorrow, even thou you've got an exam.
23/03/2013 at 10:52
Red - must be an awful waiting game. Hope you here something positive soon.

Minni - great run in awful conditions. Will you get the duration run done?

Spoons - I use TM for intervals mainly because they're impossible to do at lunchtimes in London and I have no access to a track. But you use a track for those don't you? In which case I'm not sure a TM would have any advantage.

In hairdressers currently for my pre-VLM colour and cut . Reading a crappy celeb magazine - quote from someone from Hollyoaks who says she's training for the London marathon. "I'm running 13-16 miles a week". I hope she meant her long run and not the total for the whole week!
23/03/2013 at 11:01

Freemers wrote (see)

Spoons - I use TM for intervals mainly because they're impossible to do at lunchtimes in London and I have no access to a track. But you use a track for those don't you? In which case I'm not sure a TM would have any advantage.

Well.. There is a sort of track we use in the summer evenings. To be honest it's actually a school playing field with some paint on the grass, on a slope, no floodlights, only 300m, sometimes the grass is too long etc etc....

23/03/2013 at 11:19

Red - Hope you get good news.

Spoons - I'm with Free on this one. I use the TM for speedwork and intervals as i'm so bad at pacing and obviously you can set the exact speed on them. I only use them for other runs if the weather is so bad that it is dangerous to run outside. Also, due to the a/c in my gym being shite, i like to kid myself that the occasional long 'un on the TM is good practice for a hot raceday???

Much as i hate them they are a necessary evil.

Free - That'll be fun to watch is that is her weekly mileage!  Even i've managed more than that this week, with one good leg and a dressing down from Minni!!  

23/03/2013 at 11:36
Red - hope your dad continues to slowly improve and you get some good news on the results.

There was an actor used to post on the sub 3:15 thread. I can't rember his name right now but I can picture him. At the time he was a main part in a children's tv programme about parents from space... hang on I'll google.
23/03/2013 at 11:41
My Parents are Aliens. Tony Gardner. And google tells he he ran 3:37 last year and is going for it again this year. He needs to get on here!!
23/03/2013 at 12:07

Woke up to an email saying my planned race has been cancelled - snow in croydon? wtf? Dont believe a word of it from the view out my window.  Oh well, makes me feel a bit better about the DNS.  Going to get a GP appointment to get my bloods done and see if theres anything else going on.

Spoons - personally I see treadmill as a last resort, I would always rather run outside.  Guess it depends on how you like your running.  

Freemers - I've followed that low mileage marathon training plan before!  (in fact, looking at the last month, I think I'm following it now!)

Simon - that training plan sounds a lot more sensible as a weekly mileage!

23/03/2013 at 12:33
Afternoon all
ReTM-
Hills where there are none
Flat where thereare lots of hills
Practise unfamiliar pace
Intervals - tempo
Alternative surface to roads
Run in heat ready for hot conditions
Cool conditions when hot
Easy to do after or before swim or spinning/ cross train
Easing in to running after injury
Track running can result in injury
Forces easy pace in recovery runs
Embeds consistent and constant pace
Mental toughness
Safer environment in certain instances
Helps get value out of rip off gym fees

Ok a lot of that can be done outside too and in the end its a tool to be used as part an overall plan

Red- fingers crossed!

Did a drive around to see if a LR is likely tomorrow. Unless we get more snow it should be ok. Hope everyone is in the same boat

Simon- 70m? If you. Go from east to west you'll do it in an hour with the wind we have here
KFC- accept the rest of the country is not tough like us here .

Rest and stretching today
23/03/2013 at 12:44
2old - Don't forget if your doing a lsr on a TM and get injured/niggle, you're not stuck 10miles from home.
And where else can you watch the footie/news/Jeremy Kyle whilst running!
23/03/2013 at 12:51
Simon- spot on - and there's the comfort breaks too
23/03/2013 at 13:02
2old - In my gym the TM's don't have toilets on them! Hehe
23/03/2013 at 13:06
Simon- gross
23/03/2013 at 13:13
Redwood - fingers crossed for your dad.

Following the cancellation of today's half marathon, this morning I decided to do the same session as Minni did last night. With all the snow i couldnt run my usual routes so I did the run up and down a 1.5m stretch of quiet road where I could safely run on the road. Unforunately this meant i was either running with a tailwind or headwind. The session did not go well with an average pace of 7.46 for the 12m at marathon pace. I was getting progressively slower as the run progressed even though i was trying hard to maintain pace. This has knocked my confidence quite a bit so will be looking for a good 20m next weekend. On a more positive note my niggling foot was fine.

Good luck to everyone else this weekend.
23/03/2013 at 13:24
Col- don't worry about it it really will have no relevance to what happens on the day. Sometimes the TM is the best option ??
23/03/2013 at 13:36

Col - its the effort that counts and it sounds like you got it right.  The wind is draining to run into and its also hard on your own.  I was lucky last night in that my last couple of miles were with a tailwind and I could finish strong.  What are you going to do for your 20 next weekend?  A progressive one might be good to help your confidence?

2old - I think you're nuts loving the TM so much! lol.  But I'm taking it all on board.  I think I need a change of focus after VLM and maybe that can be part of it!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.