RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,901 to 27,920 of 36,186 messages
23/03/2013 at 13:39

(((Redders))) - hope they find out soon what's wrong with your dad.

kfc: hope you feel better - just as well they cancelled the race.

col: shit runs happen all the time - don't let it knock your confidence.

Minni: wow, you nailed that sesh! Very impressive. Actually, you inspired me to get my act together today and brave the intervals that I hadn't done earlier in the week...

Wore my marathon shoes as I think all others have had it and that's why my feet & hips hurt.

Faced with one motherf....r of a wind . Came almost to a standstill in those gusts. Blimey! Had to wear my buff over nose & mouth and it froze solid. But the sun was out and I battled out 5 miles into the wind.
The return was blissful! I even got warm in the sun . Did 6 x 100m strides and then 5 x 600m reps. They were hugely wind-assisted of course but I had no idea my legs could turn that fast ...  2:19, 2:18, 2:20, 2:18 and 2:15 (the last one was very close to 6mm ). Now feeling great, no pain, no niggles. As for 22 miles in those conditions tomorrow .

23/03/2013 at 13:51
Minni- it's more of a love hate relationship really. Im thinking of doing less on the TM next time .Is lush used in your part of the world. It's not used here but is in South Wales , makes me feel home sick ...
Chick - my ITB issues started with my new shoes too. Tried the old ones but damage was done. Well done battling out those 5. I'm dreading the LR tomorrow too
Did O4S get to Dartmoor? Must be tough there
23/03/2013 at 13:56

2old: actually, wore my new shoes today and they sorted me. It's the old ones that gave me grief

23/03/2013 at 13:58
Chick- that's good
23/03/2013 at 14:22

haha Chick - I love what you did there! 

I wore my marathon shoes yesterday but will go back to my old, but not so old, ones for tomorrow. 

2old - maybe we could switch schedules next time round and see what happens?!!

Col - what other MP work have you done?

Carrot - by comments on facebook it looks like Thirsk will be ok tomorrow?

Right I'm going to start a proper list for you all to copy and paste: (others not doing London can be on this list too!!)

Green Start

Minni  29044  3:14:42

23/03/2013 at 14:38
Minni- do I have to do your weather too? Having doubts about leavung the TM alone already. Green Start 29690 3.09.59 ( no idea really)
23/03/2013 at 14:56

Green Start

Minni  29044  3:14:42
2old   29690  3.09.59 ( no idea really)

23/03/2013 at 14:57

2old - Do you sell TM's for a living???

No way i'm giving a time yet... Need at least a week of trouble free, fast running before that happens! 

23/03/2013 at 14:58

Thanks 2old. - loads of ideas there.

freezing cold and mega windy here today. I went on the turbo trainer this morning. Wouldn't want to be out running in it.

23/03/2013 at 15:16
I'm not 100% sure of my number as it's at home and I'm not but...

2old???? 29690?? 3.09.59 ( no idea really)
Minni?? 29044?? 3:14:42
Freemers. 28971. 3:19:59

I've made it to Surrey, lots of sleety stuff but not much snow to speak of and the roads are all fine. kfc - no way can it be bad enough in Croydon to cancel!!
23/03/2013 at 15:17
Chick - meant to add that's a great interval session
23/03/2013 at 15:28
Oomp- TM seller? who me?not yet. No pressure to give a time as long as its sub 3.15 !
Spoons/ Free- snow is for skiing not running
These ITB stretches hurt
23/03/2013 at 16:57
Afternoon all.

Minni - what a great run last night. Major confidence booster

Chick - great interval session.

Freemers - what colour?

Spoons - I'm all for intervals and threshold runs on the tready!

Redders - really sorry to hear about your dad. Don't worry about MK, like you say you'll easy get round.

I had an absolute shit run yesterday. Made the decision to run long but wasn't properly fuled or hydrated. Set off into a strong wind and when I decided to pick up the pace to mp there was nothing in my legs at all I kept going, ran out of drink @8 miles and the only reason why I pushed on to 18.4 was the thought that it counted as a long run and I wouldn't have to bother again over the weekend. I know we all have shit runs during training and this was definitely one of mine.
Onwards and upwards, 4 recovery done on the tready today ad gonna try and mp run tomorrow. The good news is that it was really snowy all morning today so glad that it was out the way.
23/03/2013 at 17:00

Spoons - Only use the treadmill when adverse weather conditions or returning from injury. Less impact on legs is one positive  for the injury prone amongst us.

Chick - Nice repeats, sorry to hear you had a bad experience with a treadmill, don't let it put you off there are good treadmills out there.

Red -  Fingers crossed for your dad. Enjoy your long one if conditions allow, if not give the tready a go.

Col - Don't worry about your run, you have shown you have got the pace in your legs.  If not  a progressive how about 3 easy, 3 MP and repeat for next weekend's long one.

Another long x training session for me this morning, trying to get some decent endurance so 4 hours on the elliptical, 12, 13, 14 then 15 kmh for each of the hours, the last hour got a bit grim.

Good luck to racers tomorrow.

23/03/2013 at 17:28
AA- the HM will still be in your legs. That's a good LR byanybodys reckoning .How many more have you got planned? Intervals and threshold on the TM....and the odd 20 mile run too!
Barry- 4 hours? Epic. It will be facinating to see these sessions translate into your marathon. I agree some TMs are not worth using.
23/03/2013 at 18:21

evening all,

O4S - sorry to read about your health concerns, hope it all works out for the op and all is ok.

Redders - hope they find out what is wrong with your Dad soon!

Minni - awesome session last night

Barry - 4 hours, that must have been mind numbingly boring but great training!

AA - don't beat yourself up, your fantastic half will still be in your legs and just put it down to a bad day at the office, at least you got it done before the snow came along!

Really feel for you guys out there marathon training in this shite never ending winter!! Snowing down here again today, I've been under the weather with lurgy all week so haven't been out in it but lots of others have had to. Was nearly hit or miss if they would run the Brentwood half marathon tomorrow but it is going ahead - Ant are you running it?

Good luck to all the racers tomorrow! As usual shall look forward to reading your reports

23/03/2013 at 18:44

I've just read back about 10 pages and lots of great running going on I hope all with injuries/health concerns get well soon.

I'm guessing taper madness will be here very soon for all that are completing a spring marathon. I just can't get over how awful the weather has been and you have all been so good by keeping up your training.

I've been quite good and keeping up with most runs but have not ran all of my long runs that I predicted on Jantastic. Has everyone completed there race/time trial for Marchi'vehadenoughnowolous? I need to fit in a 5k before the end of March so will try and do a parkrun next weekend, we was going to go away but if the weather continues like this we wont bother 

Barry-4hrs!!!! Fair play to you.

Good luck to all racing or running tomorrow.

23/03/2013 at 18:48

Red - the waiting game must be awful, hoep you get some answers soon

Spoons - I have run my intervals on the treadmill when the track has been closed due to snow and ice and there's no clear footpaths to run on.  I have also done a few runs on the treadmill when I've had a niggle where I'm not sure if I should be running or not - you can press stop on a treadmill as soon as it starts to hurt, rather than have to walk 4 miles home.  I did used to do all of my speedwork on a treadmill, my first sub-3:30 marathon was done off the back of treadmill intervals.  They mean you can't slow down when you're tiring without having to push a button, and nobody wants to do that!  Oh, and you can run with your ipod in, Foo Fighters full blast is awesome for speedy sessions! I have a spreadsheet with all of the mph / kph conversions to minute miles if you want it emailing?

Free - and that Hollyoaks nobody will be starting in front of us at VLM! As per Oompa, even me and my dodgy foot have done more than that this week. 

kfc - the snow seems to have been very selective, we woke up to a good covering yet a parkrun 10 miles away has photos on FB with not a flake of snow in sight! At least you don't have to worry about the DNS now.  Hope the bloods give you some answers.

Col - running up and down a 1.5mile stretch sounds worse than a treadmill!  Well done getting the run in.

Great session Chick, some speedy reps there

Better to have a crappy long run than a crappy race AA, at least you've got it done and out of the way.

Gazelle - my time trial is tomorrow!

Planned a rest day today but ended up doing around 3 miles easy - first doing two laps of my parkrun course to check see if it was run-able, then running around again putting the signs and arrows out.  We had about 2" of snow overnight but it was fine to run in, which was great as I didn't want to have to cancel the run.

Thirsk 10 is indeed on Minni, all that remains now is for the Carrot/Parsnip duo to hold it together with our various ailments and hope we get to the finish in a decent time!

23/03/2013 at 19:49
Barry - well done for getting 4 hours done on the cross trainer

Chickadee - speedy intervals and no niggles make for a great day

AA - as others have said last weeks half will still be in your legs. You still got a good long run in

Minni - thanks for the advice on next weeks long run. I was planning on a progressive type of run with some marathon paced miles towards the end. I haven't really done much in the way of marathon paced runs. I have added some marathon paced miles in 3 of my long runs and that's it. For a future marathon I will maybe do more marathon paced work in place of the tempos.

I will decide on my target time after next weeks 20.

Best of luck to those doing the 21m race tomorrow and the Thirsk 10.
23/03/2013 at 20:44

Col - Tried to message you but still no go. Not sure of your surname but if it's you thanks for the donation.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.