RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,921 to 27,940 of 37,502 messages
24/03/2013 at 09:20

AA: don't worry about your shit run - agree what 2old/kiwi said. You gave it your all in the half last week. Legs are bound to be tired.

Barry: impressive XT sesh! Very dedicated.

Gazza: my 10k was cancelled and TBH I'm not sure I can be bothered with a solo TT in this shite weather! I think I rather focus on my final 2 long runs and my HM on April 1 (if it goes ahead that is)

Good luck Freemers and carrot. Hope the back is ok, Freemers.

SS: Happy birthday

Simon: enjoy the long ride. Just psyching myself up for my 22 miler. Freeeeezing again, but sunny and the wind isn't howling as badly around the house as it did yesterday.

24/03/2013 at 09:21

me 2 Minni & AA. Won't be doing an autumn mara this year (she says now ....  )

24/03/2013 at 09:27
Really don't want to run out there .
Good luck to racers exam takers and runners today .
24/03/2013 at 10:10
Happy Birthday S.S + good luck for your exam.

Freemers - take care with your back!

Good luck racers
24/03/2013 at 10:21
Barry B wrote (see)

the last hour got a bit grim.

I'm not surprised!

24/03/2013 at 10:22

However - mega impressive. interesting idea that you could basically do normal marathon training albeit entirely on the X trainer when injured and still build to marathon fitness. 

24/03/2013 at 10:46

Alright all. Still suffering from this cold which is a bit of a pain. Managed to get my runs in so far, but ditched the YKW yesterday. Am due to do a 15 today but i woke up with a nasty cough. Just seeing how today pans out to see if i can manage it or not. At least I am getting the cold out of the way now.

Barry - 4 hours on the elliptical! Wow.

Kiwi - no brentwood for me this year - too close to the Paris marathon. 

Minni - shorter races - I thought you meant 1500m! That's what I will be rocking this summer

Freemers - ouch on the back

24/03/2013 at 11:34

Red, I reallly hope your Dad gets a definitive diagnosis very soon.  It must be so tough for you.  The fact that you are even managing to continue your training is nothing short of amazing so whatever time you run will be a real achievement.

Simon, I think it's FRC's birthday today, mine's tomorrow 

KFC, I hope you feel better soon.  Good news on race deferral though.  At least you'll get a crack at it when you're feeling back to full strength.

Col, it's really hard to maintain a consistent pace when getting buffeted by the weather so don't lose heart.  The main thing is your foot felt good!

2Old, I'm with you on the TM love-in.  I also have a massively high boredom threshold so I can (usually) just zone out and get a TM session done.  Often out here with the heat, it just seems like the sensible option.  I am not as hardcore as DD (where is he, btw??) and I like my A/C   How's your ITB?

Chick, sounds like some great intervals there, brilliant running 

Minni, I'm not sure yet what my number is.  I will have to get my mother to open my race pack and interrogate her.  But I will say Green Start, 3:44.00

AA, well done for dealing so well with a shit run.  As you say, onwards and upwards...

Barry, wow, what a cross-training session!  Amazing.

Hi Gazelle!  Good to hear from you.  What are your race plans this year?

Carrot, I hope your foot holds up today.

Free, how's your back feeling?  I hope the race helped. 

Ant, take it easy and don't run if you don't feel well.

24/03/2013 at 11:40

I passed my exam   Which is just as well as it was THE most boring paper I've ever had the misfortune to sit and I really didn't fancy a retake.  I know I said I've got a high boredome threshold, but that would have definitely been well over the other side of it!

I had a good run yesterday too.  After my mini meltdown the other day when everything went wrong, I listened to the great advice here and junked the session and moved on.  I decided to do my first trendy 5 of the campaign, as recommended by Simon, I think it was.  Anyway, as I had nothing really to recover from as I'd done no proper speedwork, I decided to do a mini progressive.  One mile w/u, 3 miles at increasing steady pace (not beyond MP), one mile c/d.  I managed 9:20, 8:53, 8:46, 8:34, 9:10.  I was so happy with that as my heart rate stayed low 140s for the 8:xx miles, I could not believe it.  I am now confident that aiming for 8:25 as MP is the right thing to do.

15 miles for me later with 8@MP.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I feel a bit like a coiled spring having done no speedwork this week.....

And thanks all for the birthday wishes.  I will enjoy them all over again tomorrow 

24/03/2013 at 12:00

Mind boggled at Barry's x-training efforts.

I've entered a half marathon for Sept.

Good luck to everyone racing today.

24/03/2013 at 13:35

Well done on the exam SS.

Freemers - hope the back held out.

Hope Carrot and Parsnip had a good outing to Thirsk.

Right penultimate long run banked.  Duration run 3:15.  Clocked up 22.3 miles.  I had company for the first 17, which was really nice since its such a shit awful day.  We chose a hilly route as pace didn't matter and I set my garmin to show time only so wasn't obsessing about going too fast or slow.  Average pace 8:44.  I speeded up for the last 5 on my own and was pleased to see the final 3 miles were all sub 8: 7:53, 7:59, 7:56.  Not that this makes any difference but it brought a smile to my face!  It stayed dry but very cold and a strong easterly wind.  In fact at one point we could smell the sea air even though we were about 10 miles from the coast.

24/03/2013 at 13:38

I hope O4S has survived her double this weekend.  I couldn't face that in this weather.

24/03/2013 at 13:51
SS- triple congrats- exam, birthday ,mini progressive run...enjoy the 15 miler
Minni- great duration run but shouldn't have been limited to 3.14.59? Conditions terrible here too at times I felt as though I was running into a wall. Then myvGarmin packed in so stopped for my old watch. Got 20.3 done av pace 8.19. Time didn't really matter as the wind wrecked any pace plans. Felt like 9.30 mm into wind and 7 something with it on my back. One more 20 to go. Hard to believe nearly there
24/03/2013 at 14:04
2old - it was actually 3:15:02 when I stopped my watch! Lol.

I'm not looking forward to taper because I don't feel as if I've done enough. Yes, I know, I know!! But I can't help it. Usually I'm ready for the taper but I think having recovered from the lurgy has put a spring in my step.

69 miles this week. That should be enough, so why doesn't it feel it....
24/03/2013 at 14:18
Omg minni!! Stop it!! Great run today and yes you've done loads!

2old - well done getting out there.

SS - mega congrats on your exam pass and your progressive run. And also on a deciding your mp. You're done so well the last few months.

How bloody cold today? I decided to do my run on the treadmill. 1k warm up then 7 miles @7:19 pace. All felt ok. I'm gonna try and do more mp runs over the next few weeks. Another 50+ mile week for me. Not quite in the league of most of you so if minni feels she hasn't done enough......(scary face!)
24/03/2013 at 14:28
Lol AA but we all know it about quality not quantity. Great MP miles today - that'll give you a boost. I'm with you on the next few weeks in that I'm definitely going to be trying to get MP miles in when and wherever I can. Funny to think that up till a couple of years ago I'd never do anything as fast as MP in training and now I'm desperate to get it in!
24/03/2013 at 14:39
Minni - how much is enough? I think i know what you mean .At times I think I'm undergoing it and others I'm self destructing. Sometimes I'm flying others I'm running in glue. Result uncertainty about what will come out at the end of the taper. Normally I notice I run a lot faster as the taper progresses and that helps restore confidence. I did 87 miles in the last 8 days(7 days running) including a pb HM and yet I still feel unsure about what I am capable of doing and how to Pace the marathon.Ridiculous. To you I would say trust the training so why can't I say it to myself? Will 6more make a difference really?
AA- was that a MP run? Don't blame you for not going out. Why bother when you've already bagged your LR. I'm beginning to wonder if all these extra miles make a difference but I'm too scared to change now
Edited: 24/03/2013 at 14:41
24/03/2013 at 15:09

Congrats, Speed Sheep - go an hit the champers now

Ant: in a way I wished I would get my annual cold now ... I'm shit scared it'll come when I taper.

Minni: excellent duration run . Know how you feel re. taper . I'm not ready for it either. Because the rubbish weather meant I missed almost all of my longer runs with MP in them I feel I need to do more MP stuff right now. Have done some in my MLRs but still ....   I think I will probably do a 20 miler with MP 2 weeks out. Otherwise I won't feel ready!

22.15  out of the way. It was truly horrible. The wind picked up and got stronger and stronger as I went on. And it was friggin' cold. Couldn't feel my hands for a while. I really felt like giving up a few times . Was thinking about O4S running across Dartmoor ... that was the kick up the backside that I needed.

11 miles of hell and 11 miles that were just about bearable. I just didn't have it in me to speed up when I had a tailwind. In fact, I was completely shit

2old: mega miles! Just counted mine: 79 but TBH, I coulnd't have faced a minute longer out there to make the full 80

24/03/2013 at 16:12

Free - hope the back held out today? Back injuries are the worst - you don't realise how much you use your back until you pull a muscle in it! Lots of heat on it after your run should hopefully help.

SS Happy Birthday   Congrats on passing your exam! Sounds like you're back on track with the running too.

Minni hopefully London will be 3 seconds quicker than today's duration run

Good running today AA, days like today are what treadmills are made for!  Always a good idea to get more MP miles in over the next few weeks, get the legs used to what that pace feels like.

Hope O4S managed Dartmoor OK today?

Chick it sounds like one of those horrible runs that we have that really test our mental strength.  Great work not giving in.

24/03/2013 at 16:17

Happy Birthday SS

amazing long run Minni

Not shit at all Chickadeee

i ran 1:45 today. Bloomin windy. All OK though. Calves were a bit tight at the start. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.