RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

27,941 to 27,960 of 37,586 messages
24/03/2013 at 16:20

Plus. - I haven't mentioned on here yet but I've been doing a PLANK challenge in March. Do plank every day for the month and each day must be longer than the day before, even if only 1 second longer. I am now up to 3:55. I should get up to 4:30 by April hopefully..... 

24/03/2013 at 16:26
I love the Cranleigh 21 I've now done it 4 times and I've never had a bad run. The 9/6/6 miles of the 3 laps is perfect for a good pacing strategy and with close on 1,000 runners ther,s always someone to run with and help with pacing.

Today was originally going to be 15 miles @ 8.20-8.30 and 6 miles @ MP (7.30). Well the first 2 miles were both 8.25 so spot on schedule. Then i sped up a bit to get past a guy with a really annoying heavy foot strike - just slap, slap all the time and it was doing my head in. So the next couple were 8.05's so a little quick. I reined it back again but the rest of that first lap was around 8.10-8.15 pace and it felt very easy. Bladerunner caught me at about mile 8 and we chatted through the rest of that lap and most of the next, and i didn't look at the time that much except we were clocking miles at slightly over 8.00 and a couple slightly under.

Blade looked like he was keen to push the pace so i let him go on at mile 14 while i slowed a little so i had some reserve for the last 6. So at 15 miles i took off, and felt like i was flying - averaged under 7.20 for that lap and just felt great, overtaking loads of people and no one came past me. Too quick for MP of course but great for the confidence Final time was 2.46.32.

Great to meet Blade - you should be on for a fantastic time in Brighton

My back was ok after the first few miles, although the 3 hour drive home has stiffened it up nicely, so i'm hoping wine will help for that
24/03/2013 at 16:28

Chick - you can draw strength from today's run when you're standing on the start line of the marathon.  Well done for battling on.

Spoons - you are King Plank.

Carrot - come on!  How did you do today?

I ran long on Saturday last week so I can claim 92 miles in 9 days with 8 days of running.  That's almost 100 miles in a week in my books!

24/03/2013 at 16:28
Minni / 2old - great long runs Minni - stop that nonsense about not doing enough

SS - yay, congrats on the exam
24/03/2013 at 16:29
Chick- great LR ...if the wind was like here that run counts as more than 22.15...that's my excuse for struggling
Carrot-I think Minni won't believe in sub3.15 ... We've got a few weeksto work on her mind
Spoons- your runs are getting longer and longer. Brilliant . Is there an equivalent time for the plank to sub 3-15? I need some core work.
Edited: 24/03/2013 at 16:34
24/03/2013 at 16:31

xpost ...

Freemers   Brilliant!  So pleased your back was ok... remember you said this morning you had a really painful back?  No?  Oh, you'd forgotten!  Great run - that must have you feeling really confident.  And good to hear blade had a good run too.  Look forward to his version of events.

24/03/2013 at 16:34

2old - I had that very chat with AA earlier in the week.  I was telling her what she should be aiming for and she was doing the same for me.  Problem is neither of us believed it for ourselves.  Its funny we can see others strengths but fail to recognise our own.  I think we're all going to have to group together over the coming weeks and make sure we all get onto those start lines feeling confident and ready to give it our all.

24/03/2013 at 16:37
Free- excellent race and well done for holding back , soon you won't have to put the breaks on. Watch your back
Minni- get an 8 mile RR done tonight and 100 miles are in the bag ...you said you aren't doing enough
24/03/2013 at 16:40
Minni - I wouldn't object to some pace suggestions.
24/03/2013 at 16:42

Thirsk 10M

I've been looking forward to this race as it's nice and flat which means FAST.  Woke up yesterday to another covering of snow and wondered if it would even be on!  I've had a pain in my foot since Sunday that has been on and off, it was quite sore for the first mile of yesterday's snowy parkrun course check but eased off.  Was pleased to see last night that the organisers had announced that the race was on, so all I had to do was get round without injury, and under 70 minutes.

Did a 4M out and back warm up along the last 2 miles of the course.  Felt like a nice day for the first 2M, then we turned round to come back to the racecourse into a strong headwind

Back to the car to get chip on, take layers off (down to club vest, short sleeve tshirt and shorts) then carried on running to keep warm.  Stood about at the start for a bit for the usual announcements that you can't hear, then we were off!  I normally like to have a few slower miles then pick up the pace but knew there would be a headwind for the last half of the race. 

The wind was behind us for the first 3 miles so I took full advantage.  I had autolap on my watch so I didn't have to worry about manual lapping.  Wanted to get to halfway in 34 minutes so I had a bit of time in hand for that horrible headwind.  We turned into the wind just after 5 miles, and battled up to just after 6 miles where the route turns for an out and back '??' shape.  Cross wind, followed by tailwind, followed by headwind, and back to crosswind.  On the bit with the tailwind I was pleased I'd chose to wear shorts as it was quite warm.  Saw the leaders, then the three runners I'd travelled down with including Parsnip who was looking strong.  The out and back bit includes miles 7 and 8, then you turn out back onto the road to the racecourse and back into that headwind.  I had a gel at mile 7.  I knew that sub-70 was on as long as I kept pushing. The head wind was horrible. The roads weren't closed so we had to run on the footpath but there were a lot of narrow bits where cars were parked on the footpath.  Didn't see a 9M marker, it was there when we were warming up - I don't know if it had been blown away but I wouldn't be surprised! My watch beeped 9M and I knew that it was definitely on for sub 70.  Hard going in that wind though.  Crossed the line with 68:XX on the clock, finish time was 68:4X, 10th lady and won £25! Managed about 800m cooldown, realised how tired my legs were. 

24/03/2013 at 16:44
SS congrats on the exam and enjoy your birthday tomorrow.

Minni, Chick, mega long runs and both of you have done loads.

2Old, great mileage and I'm sure you'll be flying when the taper gives you fresh legs.

Freemers, hope the back was ok.

Spoons, things seem to be picking up for you nicely now.

KFC, hope you feel better soon.

Weeble, sounds like a good target. Which half?

I've mainly been cycling as an easy way to fit exercise in, but had a bit of a blow last week when out of nowhere I had sharp knee pain like the start of all my problems back in Oct. It's not hurt since, but I haven't really tested it. Not sure where that leaves me for cycling to and from work before I've chance to see the physio.
24/03/2013 at 16:46
Carrot - brilliant...i saw you'd updated your time on MT so knew you must have been flying What time did Parsnip do?
24/03/2013 at 16:48
X-post, fantastic Carrot and Freemers.
24/03/2013 at 16:48

You go to sort some washing out, come back and write a race report and have how many cross posts?!

Free that's a brilliant 21M, your training has been really strong for VLM. Good to hear the back was OK

Nice planking Spoons! Ooh I might have to try that out for myself.

Parsnip did 62:57 today

24/03/2013 at 16:57
Cracking Carrot! Well and truely smash 70 and in those conditions! So pleased for you, and Parsnip too.
24/03/2013 at 17:01

Carrot - 68 minutes  

Freemers - brilliant running. Glad the back was OK

Edited: 24/03/2013 at 17:01
24/03/2013 at 17:06
Carrot- wow you were on fire today. Great race and a prize to cap it off
Becsa- sorry about your knee- I bet the cyclists here will suggest how to solve the problem
24/03/2013 at 17:12
Spoons - Top planking. Now you just have get of your knees, and do the full ones! Hehe

Minni/Chick/freemers/2old - You all did great lsr's, and the thought of you lot out there in these conditions kept me going.

Carot - fantastic time for a 10miler, in not ideal conditions.

SS - Sorry, but better to be early than late. But look what I've started, you could always have 2 b'days, today and tomorrow .

Well I don't need to tell you lot, but it was pretty brutal out there today. No rain or snow, but cold and the wind made it feel 10x worse. The gusting winds nearly had me off my bike several times, not ideal with other traffic on the roads. Managed just 68m in 5:05 of riding, and about 15min stop at a petrol station for some food. I forgot it was Sunday, so my usual refuel place was closed, so I couldn't even get a hot drink. I had planned 70m, but these lbr's (long bike rides) are all about time in the saddle, so over 5hrs will do me.

KFC - I've worked out that training plan. Were it had a distance and a nbr of stops next to it,, they are to be done as a long ride, the other weeks are total mileage. Towards the end there's a 150m ride, to be done in 15hrs. I wont be doing much else on rhat day. Don't they know I've got to post on here every day!
24/03/2013 at 17:19
Simon - job done then! The wind was very strong and I was wondering how you'd stay on your bike. Not many bikers out there today like there normally are so you will have been one of the few. Need to better plan your fuelling for the next one ...maybe look out for FRC and his cake and coffee. Looks like you've got an epic programme ahead of you
24/03/2013 at 17:27
Blimey, if anyone needs inspiration they just need to log in here on a Sunday afternoon.

Great lbr there Simon. It's so much colder on the bike than running - was this an issue?

Also, I agree with you Simon. Knowing no-one on here will give up and they'll always get the job done keeps me going too.
Edited: 24/03/2013 at 17:28
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.