RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

261 to 280 of 37,338 messages
19/01/2011 at 23:25

It makes me wonder what RW agreed with the coaches and others in the first place - I'd have thought that the contract/agreement would have included things like how often they should be on the forums.

Similarly with the SSXs. They seem to have been dumped into it without much of an understanding of what the forum expects from them. I'd have thought that at some point in the application process there'd be something that says in return for this prize we expect this from you.

Dubai Dave    pirate
20/01/2011 at 04:55

Minni: It doesn't matter when you do the LT session as long as you do it, they are incredibly important in the P & D schedules as they don't have much in the way of interval work in there ( their one failing as far as I'm concerned.)

The temperature at Dubai marathon tomorrow will probably be around 18C at the start rising to perhaps 27C by the timer i finish, hot to you OK to me. Marathon field probably around 1200.

I can't comment on last years Super six as to be honest I normally steer 300 miles west of anything to do with VLM but I was asked to get involved this year and to be honest I enjoy the to and fro of it all.  Every year I vote for the those who i recognise from the forums if I have never heard of them I don't vote in that category. It would appear to me that RW should set out clearly what is expected from a SSX in terms of posting etc. Likewise it would be perhaps as well to tell the coaches / mentors what is required from them as I agree that Upsy Daisy seems to have drawn the short straw.

20/01/2011 at 14:15

10 miles steady for me this morning. Gonna do long one on Saturday.

DD - good luck with the Dubai marathon tomorrow. Look forward to race report. How many marathons do you run a year?

Dubai Dave    pirate
20/01/2011 at 14:51
AA: It used to be 4 or so a year, last year was 1 due to sickness & injury guess it will be 3 or 4 this year.
20/01/2011 at 15:33

AA - sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.  I hope she is soon on the road to recovery.  Its hard to fit in running when life catches up on us.

I was thinking of you last night when I did my 5 mile recovery on the treadmill.  I had an hour and a bit to spare while the children were at badminton and didn't feel too enthused to run myself somewhere I wasn't familiar with.  So, off I trotted to the gym, paid my £5.95 (!!), and ran for 50 mins whilst watching 'are you smarter than a 10 year old', which evidently I'm not.   I did 5.2miles with an average of 9.30.  I don't know how you do your long runs that way!  I got really hot as much as anything else.

20/01/2011 at 19:38

Minni - LOL!! I actually find treadmill running really good mental training more than anthing else. Really toughens me up. I like the pace control too. Mind you - a recovery run on a treadmill has to be the worse sort. I tend to watch Jeremy Kyle as I run in the morning - I am fully up to date with DNA and lie detector results!! Yawn!!

DD - hope it isn't too hot for you tomorrow

20/01/2011 at 22:20

DD Good luck tomorrow Dave!  Be sure to let us know how you get on!

AA What speed do you generally do on the treadmill?  To be honest I speeded up for the last 2k because I wanted it over with, but then I got so hot!  It is a good mental challenge for sure. 

21/01/2011 at 07:50

Minni - long runs at 11.4kph which is 8:47 min miles. My speed sessions depends on length of reps and my threshold runs I try and do 5-8 miles at 7 min or 7:15 min miles.

Rest day again for me today ahead of my 18 miler tomorrow

21/01/2011 at 08:23

AA - I dread the long runs I have to do on my own too. I think it is more about the fact that I do the same routes each year. I love having my Fridays off now as I can have company for at least some of the way.

Rest day today though in preparation for Sunday. I'll be glad when this week is over and I can get back to my usual high mileage.

21/01/2011 at 08:50
CG do you know whtat time the Brass Monkey starts?  I had 10.30 in my head but I see the prize giving is at 12, so I'm wondering if its earlier.  I can't find any time on the information or website. 
21/01/2011 at 08:52
Minni - how are you feeling ahead of BM? Ready to lay down a marker?
21/01/2011 at 09:01

MM - I'm starting to feel a bit jittery.  I should be confident in achieving a good time; I've done some good solid training of late.  Although no 'speed sessions', these lactate threshold runs should act as confidence builders in the distance.   But, you know how is goes.... do I have a lurking injury....?  have I trained enough....?   have I over-trained and am therefore tired....?  do I have a lurking terminal illness....?  

On a plus my OH is doing too and its his first half.  He should just about manage it by the cut off time and I will feel very proud of him...... an hopefully beat him!!

21/01/2011 at 12:29
What time are you hoping for Minni?
21/01/2011 at 14:11
Minni - It starts at 10. Any idea what pace you are setting out at? I was thinking round about 7:30 and see how it feels.
21/01/2011 at 15:16
CG - 7:30? I thought you would be a bit quicker than that
21/01/2011 at 16:36

Minni - I always find that when my other half runs a marathon or half when I am it becomes all about him and I forget about my nerves!! Good luck to him anyway. He will no doubt ache more and be more tired and need more attention after it!!

CG - agree with Mr S - 7:30s....? Surely with all this pent up energy you will be like a coiled spring ready to fly!!

21/01/2011 at 16:38

CG/Mr Spoons - I've no idea what pace or or time!  I race so rarely that its difficult to actually pre-plan a pace.

My 8 mile general aerobic today ended up being 10 miles with an average of 8.18.  A bit faster than I'd planned but we were chatting all the way and although it felt testing it didn't feel tough. 

The 10 o'clock start is going to be a challenge in itself.   We'll have to set off about 5.45, I think

I wonder how Dubai Dave has got on in the Dubai marathon today..... 

21/01/2011 at 18:30

Minni - good luck for your half at the weekend, hopefully the early start isn't too tiring.  What pace do you usually do your general aerobic run at?  I managed 7 1/2 miles last night, only averaged 8.45, felt really tired.  

Hat off to Dubai Dave - couldn't imagine running a marathon in 27 degree heat!

21/01/2011 at 18:31

Nice run Minni. Sounds like you are making improvements already.

I've not raced a HM (1:42) for almost a year so have no idea of pace really. I haven't been doing a great deal of speed work but have been basing my HMP on 7:20 - 7:30. From the session I did last week I couldn't imagine sustaining that for 13.1 miles! I tend to get really worked up about the shorter races to the point where it can really affect my performance so I'm trying to be chilled out and definately don't want to go out too fast.

21/01/2011 at 20:09

Hi Minni - thought I'd pop into your 'other' thread and say good luck for Sunday's half.

CG - Good luck to you too, just relax and enjoy the race.

looking forward to reading your race reports!

261 to 280 of 37,338 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.