RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

28,001 to 28,020 of 36,989 messages
25/03/2013 at 11:02

2old - That's great, thanks for the sound advice. Was saying to Free at the weekend how great this forum was. Really appreciate you taking the time...

25/03/2013 at 11:27

Oomp-great to see you are officially recovered...still  better to be careful especially when you are thinking of fast and/or hilly stuff. Make the TM your friend..its the only way

Blade-no problem-I'm sure others here have more to add about tapering

25/03/2013 at 11:29
Morning all. Rest day for me too

Freemers - hope your back is ok. Rest.

Am I the only person who actually looks forward to the taper?!
One more hard week and I am sooo ready to calm it a bit. I usually do 14 2 weeks out and 8/9 the week before for my long runs. The main focus on me will be to keep up the intervals but not as many and try and put some mp miles into most of my runs, even if its just a few.
25/03/2013 at 11:39

Oompa - Bar the weather, really enjoyed Cranleigh as an event. Well organised, challenging but interesting course.

Glad you've gained the confidence back in your legs to stick your 'balls on the line'! I'm sure you'll nail your target.

25/03/2013 at 11:47

AA - you are definitely not the only one looking forward to the taper! I've never done one before but I've got a feeling it might become my new best friend!

25/03/2013 at 12:03

I hate the taper because I just start to fret about whether I'm doing too much or too little! Blade - to 2old's list of things not to do I would add - don't fall off the back of a treadmill going at 13kph 4 days before the race. It hurts. A lot.

That's a good idea on the MP miles during the taper AA - I'll be aiming to do that too I think.

BBC long range forecast talks about the week of VLM getting back to more 'normal' temperatures for that time of year. Hopefully they mean nice spring weather and not hot! 

25/03/2013 at 12:09
2old - Butt holding up well. Utterly butterly butt cream worked a treat.

Chick - Get yourself some waterproof winter cycling gloves. Mine have a thin pair of inner gloves, which you can wear seperately or aswell, if really cold. Those over shoe booties, will keep your feet warm and dry. For me being a baldy, I needed a skull cap under my helmet, and a buff for the lower face. Toasty, well nearly.
25/03/2013 at 12:13
Freemers - Watch out, you may end up with a heatwave like a few years ago. I can't remember if it was Carot or Chick who suffered at Berlin with hot weather.
25/03/2013 at 12:25

Blade - Re taper advice... Find a good shrink!

Simon - I don't think that you should be taking the butt-er label literally???

2old - The TM is not, and never will be my friend... It is the work of satan himself!

25/03/2013 at 12:28
bladerunner07 wrote (see)

Glad you've gained the confidence back in your legs to stick your 'balls on the line'! I'm sure you'll nail your target.

So long as he doesn't nail his balls....

blade - the taper is the work of the devil.  The only reason AA like it is that she doesn't need to run with a hangover.

25/03/2013 at 12:32

Hi Team!  Brilliant races Free, Blade plus the northern veggies   Good long runs and hats off to those of you who did them outside, I feel your pain!!

Floods, plague and pestilence hit Devon on Friday and we got very wet just traveling to our overnight atop in Tavistock.  Watching the rainwater cascading down the streets and the river level inexorably rising [Tavistock was on flood alert] we did wonder about a Plan B - but not for long.

Saturday dawned bright and sunny, if bitterly cold.  Lulled into a false sense of hope, we set off, only to get a couple of miles into our 25 mile route before the mist came down and the wind picked up.  First 9 miles realtively easy with a long, steep climb up to the Moor after clearing Tavistock, then heads down into a strong arctic easterly wind to reach Princetown, the only point of civilisation of the day.  Stopped for a hot drink ostensibly, but actually to try and dry a few items off on the teapot - although not actually raining the mist we were walking through had made us surprisingly wet [and cold].  Getting back out was a problem and that was when the terrain deteriorated. 

The first 9 miles were on pretty reasonable tracks but then we were left still with miles of featureless moor to cross on a compass bearing through a variety of bogs.  Any hope of our feet staying even moderately damp was soon dispelled as we plodged through man eating bogs up to our knees in water at times.  Still unable to see much in any direction we kept going more in hope than expectation and were suitably amazed every time we reached a recognisable marker.  This sort of running, shuffling, walking is not good for dodgy backs and I could feel my hamstrings and glutes getting progressively tighter.

Got lost once and circled a poached up cow field several times trying to find the correct exit [it was a very large, very wet field with shoe swallowing mud and no visibility].  Words were exchanged.........

Finally we arrived in Ashburton having white wate rafted down the road from the Moors dodging the alligators lurking in the drainage ditches by the side of the road.  We dripped into reception, trying not to leave a trail of mud in our wake - then had to walk over to the bar for dinner in our socks as we couldn't bear to put our shoes back on [having washed them out in the bath to get rid of the silt that had gathered in the bottom.   [To be continued]

25/03/2013 at 12:32

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hadn't realised the length that the people on this thread will go to, to get a new pb?

25/03/2013 at 12:40

O4S - X-post.  Alligators... White water rafting??!! Hope the hammies and glutes are feeling better this morning.

25/03/2013 at 12:42

Day 2:  This time it didn't even dawn bright and sunny, but cold, drizzly and depressing - but only 21 miles to go so zip up the mansuit, on with the wet shoes and off we go.  We are now heading for the coast and are not so high up but equally exposed to the east wind.  Terrain is different now, more slithering mud, interspersed with flooded muddy lanes - but less moorland bog.  They do say a change is as good as a rest - but they lie!

I spent a good part of the day with my tights and thermal leggings rolled up to my knees so that only my skin got wet and I had something dry to cover them up if and when conditions improved [like on the train home].  We had one very hairy river crossing where the footbridge was submerged in fast flowing water and there was no way round.  We inched our way across holding on to each other - but not something I would recommend [at least not the bridge bit] 

Towards the end we had to cross a golf course, which was saturated, with plenty of large pools of lying water - yet quite a few people [male of course - no sense] were out playing.  I would love to have watched them chip out of one of the lakes!  Finally made it down to Teignmouth with one final flooded road [knee deep] to negotiate before we got to the finish.  I was thinking that at least our shoes would be clean before we got the train, but the final half mile was across slithery mud, so we were back to square one.

Digit count now complete, the washing is done and a 60 mile week completed.  Woke to flurries of snow here and I have to fly to Belfast at 7.00am tomorrow where the weather is even worse

25/03/2013 at 13:16

SS- Happy birthday and well done yesterday on your exam

Minni- Great progressive run yesterday for you. Your not in "taper madness" just yet and you are already stressing that you haven't done enough, Shaggy would of said " Trust in your training!"

A.A- Your MP run looked good. 50miles is still higher than most marathon runners, what was your avg mileage on your last marathon campaign?

Chick- Well done for getting out there and finishing your run.

Spoons- Plank challenge sounds good, how long was your first plank? maybe we should all give it a go in April?? Or best we wait until May as most of you wont want to add new things into your plan whilst tapering...

Free/Carrot/Blade/04S- Great race reports

I'm off for a Running assessment tonight, hopefully I will find out my V02max uptake and know what training zones to run from my HR. I'm sure I read on here that someone had a running assessment a while ago, was it Freemers?

25/03/2013 at 13:27

O4S - I am shivering just reading that  I really don't know how you (and BA) do it!

Great target Oompa - it'll be brilliant if all those going for the sub 3.15 time it just right and cross the line together! Anyone else joining me on sub 3.20?

I've decided to take the advice and skip today's run. I'd planned on doing it after work but I've just found out the overhead wires are down on my train line and it looks like it'll take me an age to get home (including a bus replacement on part of the journey)  I think I'll just be in the mood for a nice hot bath instead of a run, which will help ease my back off I think. It's not a big deal, just means moving my rest day to today and fitting an extra one in later in the week instead.

25/03/2013 at 13:29

x-post...Gazelle, no it wasn't me. I can't remember who it was though!

25/03/2013 at 13:29

Free - mental note to self then - don't fall backwards off a treadmill during the taper! Wise words

Oompa / Minni / Free - Thanks for filling me full of joy about the taper! Makes sense though - guess I'll just stress about whether done enough over the next 2/3 weeks.

O4S - Great account of your weekend... First post I've read where I've actually had to 'Google' the meaning of some of the words used!

Gazelle - ooooh, running assessment sounds eciting. Where did you find out about this? I've not been using an HRM for my training but would definitely consider, going forwards...

25/03/2013 at 13:32

OMG, O4S  !!  Proper hardcore. But then we didn't expect anything else from you!

Right, I have just revised my marathon time to 3:45 ...   what with the heat wave on race day and arctic temps until then

25/03/2013 at 13:34
Ah Gazelle it was our forum friend Seb Coe who said that. Once pics are working again I'll upload the photo. (Credit to KFC for arranging it).
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.