RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

28,001 to 28,020 of 37,330 messages
25/03/2013 at 12:40

O4S - X-post.  Alligators... White water rafting??!! Hope the hammies and glutes are feeling better this morning.

25/03/2013 at 12:42

Day 2:  This time it didn't even dawn bright and sunny, but cold, drizzly and depressing - but only 21 miles to go so zip up the mansuit, on with the wet shoes and off we go.  We are now heading for the coast and are not so high up but equally exposed to the east wind.  Terrain is different now, more slithering mud, interspersed with flooded muddy lanes - but less moorland bog.  They do say a change is as good as a rest - but they lie!

I spent a good part of the day with my tights and thermal leggings rolled up to my knees so that only my skin got wet and I had something dry to cover them up if and when conditions improved [like on the train home].  We had one very hairy river crossing where the footbridge was submerged in fast flowing water and there was no way round.  We inched our way across holding on to each other - but not something I would recommend [at least not the bridge bit] 

Towards the end we had to cross a golf course, which was saturated, with plenty of large pools of lying water - yet quite a few people [male of course - no sense] were out playing.  I would love to have watched them chip out of one of the lakes!  Finally made it down to Teignmouth with one final flooded road [knee deep] to negotiate before we got to the finish.  I was thinking that at least our shoes would be clean before we got the train, but the final half mile was across slithery mud, so we were back to square one.

Digit count now complete, the washing is done and a 60 mile week completed.  Woke to flurries of snow here and I have to fly to Belfast at 7.00am tomorrow where the weather is even worse

25/03/2013 at 13:16

SS- Happy birthday and well done yesterday on your exam

Minni- Great progressive run yesterday for you. Your not in "taper madness" just yet and you are already stressing that you haven't done enough, Shaggy would of said " Trust in your training!"

A.A- Your MP run looked good. 50miles is still higher than most marathon runners, what was your avg mileage on your last marathon campaign?

Chick- Well done for getting out there and finishing your run.

Spoons- Plank challenge sounds good, how long was your first plank? maybe we should all give it a go in April?? Or best we wait until May as most of you wont want to add new things into your plan whilst tapering...

Free/Carrot/Blade/04S- Great race reports

I'm off for a Running assessment tonight, hopefully I will find out my V02max uptake and know what training zones to run from my HR. I'm sure I read on here that someone had a running assessment a while ago, was it Freemers?

25/03/2013 at 13:27

O4S - I am shivering just reading that  I really don't know how you (and BA) do it!

Great target Oompa - it'll be brilliant if all those going for the sub 3.15 time it just right and cross the line together! Anyone else joining me on sub 3.20?

I've decided to take the advice and skip today's run. I'd planned on doing it after work but I've just found out the overhead wires are down on my train line and it looks like it'll take me an age to get home (including a bus replacement on part of the journey)  I think I'll just be in the mood for a nice hot bath instead of a run, which will help ease my back off I think. It's not a big deal, just means moving my rest day to today and fitting an extra one in later in the week instead.

25/03/2013 at 13:29

x-post...Gazelle, no it wasn't me. I can't remember who it was though!

25/03/2013 at 13:29

Free - mental note to self then - don't fall backwards off a treadmill during the taper! Wise words

Oompa / Minni / Free - Thanks for filling me full of joy about the taper! Makes sense though - guess I'll just stress about whether done enough over the next 2/3 weeks.

O4S - Great account of your weekend... First post I've read where I've actually had to 'Google' the meaning of some of the words used!

Gazelle - ooooh, running assessment sounds eciting. Where did you find out about this? I've not been using an HRM for my training but would definitely consider, going forwards...

25/03/2013 at 13:32

OMG, O4S  !!  Proper hardcore. But then we didn't expect anything else from you!

Right, I have just revised my marathon time to 3:45 ...   what with the heat wave on race day and arctic temps until then

25/03/2013 at 13:34
Ah Gazelle it was our forum friend Seb Coe who said that. Once pics are working again I'll upload the photo. (Credit to KFC for arranging it).
25/03/2013 at 13:50

O4S – wow! Just wow! How on earth you can put yourself through that I have no idea! I’d be bricking it on top of a moor in those conditions!

Freemers – well done on your 21. I wish I could run that fast without a bad back, let alone with one!

Blade – congratulations to you too. You must be ultra-confident now off of the back of that? Hope your shins hold up

Carrot (& Parsnip) – two very good races run there, even more so when considering conditions. Nothing like finishing into a headwind to test your strength!

SS – happy birthday! Hope Mr Sheep treats Ewe to a nice evening tonight 

Well done to everyone else on getting out there in horrific conditions or beating the boredom to get their LSRs in on the TM (or in your case the elliptical Barry!). And Simon, I have no idea how you kept warm on the bike? I saw a couple of cyclists and it looked like they weren’t enjoying it one bit…

I was supposed to do 22 but ended up having to change my plans, so thought I’d try 15 with 12MP. There was a decent crunch of snow underfoot, the wind-chill was -7, and it snowed the whole way around.  But I managed it, sort of. I say sort of, because I wanted to do 2 slow first, but it was so cold I got stuck straight in. Managed 12 at average 7.55 pace, which I was very happy with, but curtailed it at 14 because I was well and truly knackered.

The first 10 felt fine, but then I just tailed off badly so think maybe 8.10 might be my MP. Difficult to tell really, as I was knackered to start, conditions weren’t great underfoot or overhead (I know, I know - my own fault for being anti-TM!). On the bright side, I still have 6 more weeks to go to MK so plenty of time for improvement too.      

25/03/2013 at 13:59
O4S- oh goodness me! I'm feeling the cold through that report! You are totally barking but congratulations on zipping it up and getting through it all. Totally inspiring.

Gazza - in previous campaigns (I've done 17 marathons ) I've averaged around 35. Last years London was @40. This year will be @48 I reckon. Still not high compared to Bro, chick, Minni and 2old though.
25/03/2013 at 14:01

Redders: you did accuse me of being hard as nails , although in reality the toe nails were one item that did not survive well - down to about 4 remaining now

I have another weekend like this one 12/25/21 two weeks before London - Blade please note for the taper.......................

Simon: what on earth did you wear on your hands when cycling - I have never come across gloves that can cope with these conditions on a bike for any length of time. Answers on a used inner tube please. [Don't laugh but we collect old inner tubes, cut them up and glue strips across the toes of our trail shoes to make them marginally more waterproof on wet grass.   [Not that it would have helped this weekend]

25/03/2013 at 14:01
X post Redders - well done. Just getting out running with what you're going through is commendable.

Oh yes SS - happy birthday to you
25/03/2013 at 15:31

O4S-great report and again something beyond my comprehension-I'd have rolled over in bed and said forget it. How tough are you! Of course why not do it again a week or so before VLM? I was flagging a bit this am but am now inspired again.Thanks

Red -well done for toughing it out in aweful conditions. Dont commit to a pace until youve tapered a bit

AA-all this talk about taper  has made me forget there is still this week to go and Im already feeling tired just looking at my schedule for the next 7 days

25/03/2013 at 15:58

Sorry folks, might be my fault that the tapering came up

You VLM-ers have still got another week of hard graft so no more talk of taper til this time next week...

Here Here 2old as far as O4S is concerned. A definite inspiration. That mileage before the marathon is unbelievable!

Red - yes, happy after Cranleigh and now achieving a sub 3:30 in first marathon seems a realistic achievement. Just got to make sure I look after the niggles and concentrate on the right effort at the right times in the next 3 weeks. Like AA's strategy of putting a lot of MP miles in the training now. Well done to you at the weekend for getting out at all... Awful weather and you are probably mentally drained after everything that's been going on. I take my hat off to you. How is your Dad?

25/03/2013 at 16:03

SS - Happy birthday and congrats on the exam

Barry: Wow, and this lot think I am crazy!

Oompa:  be sensible and don't push it too much

2old:  I have decided to try a controlled experiment - I won't taper, carbo load or give up alcohol for VLM and we can compare the effects.  I think a combination of the three would put my body into shock

Minni: ever thought of adopting a polar bear to keep the 'puppy' company?

Freemers:  how is the back??

Brol:  any improvement on the shins [I might have missed this in the deluge of posts while I was away]

Chick: the papers predicting a heatwave obviously haven't read the Met Office long term forecast for April.....................

25/03/2013 at 16:20

O4S: let's hope the Met office is right then. We've survived bloody months of training in the cold now spring might as well hold off till beginning of May . I for once wouldn't mind a marathon at around freezing point. 0 degrees, sunshine and no wind please

AA: I'm thinking the same re. more marathon pace. At least the snow has gone here so running at pace has become possible again. I wish that pesky wind would die down though .

2old: in the same boat. Another heavy week ahead   15 MLR tomorrow, 11 with 6x1k reps Weds, 9 with strides Thur, 22 Fri, 8 Sat, 10 Sun and a half marathon Monday

25/03/2013 at 16:27

Chick - I'm with you. Cold, sunny and no wind = perfect! You and 2old have a serious week ahead of you. That's circa 90 miles, a good 35/40 more than my highest week this campaign... Inspirational stuff, I'm sure you'll both smash it at VLM.

25/03/2013 at 16:31
O4S - I had these on yesterday, and I didn't need the extra inner glove. I haven't tried out the waterproof qualities yet, but nice and warm.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-night-vision-waterproof-winter-cycling-gloves/
25/03/2013 at 16:50

Red - Excellent run in horrid conditions.

Blade - With the runs you've been putting in, you are sooo going to go sub 3.30.

Chick - 75 mile week???!!! Be careful, you don't want to overdo it and get injured now.

Gym and a swim for me tonight i think, as my hip flexors are a bit sore... Or am i getting neurotic a week too soon???

25/03/2013 at 16:54

Chick – loving the wind assisted reps!

AA – not surprised you felt sluggish when not fuelled and with your half in the legs.  Another good run in the bank.

Barry – that’s awesome endurance and mental toughness training…

SS – well done on passing the exam

Blade, Freemers – great 21, a brilliant confidence booster, glad the back was OK on the run freemers

Carrot – cracking race, sub 70 and PRIZE MONEY!!!  That’s so much better than bling!

Simon – sounds like a ‘mentally challenging’ day out – well done!  For the feet, go thermal sock, waterproof sock, shoes (with gaffa tape over any vents) and neoprene booties…

Oompa – great news the calf held up.  But jesus, 20M on a treadmill?!

Becs – is it on the outside of the knee?  If so its probably ITB – I find I can have problems with it if I’m doing lots of running and not much biking or vice versa.  I’d say go to physio.  If it is ITB I find ‘body geometry’ bike shoes help me, they angle your legs slightly outwards.

O4S – wow.  Even by your standards that sounds like a ‘fun weekend’

Blade – for the taper, just keep your head while all those around you are losing theirs…

Minni – yeah, but I just put the words of the forum mantra in his mouth!  Trying to remember who originally started that one – AA?  DD? You?   Sad times, it’s the first time in a few years I won’t be getting my pre VLM pep talk from a double Olympic champion

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.