RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

28,041 to 28,060 of 36,987 messages
25/03/2013 at 20:30
Barry - Good news on the calf front!

KFC - Thanks for the tips, I'll probably need them, as my next lbr will be on Thursday or Friday, and I don't think the forecast is much better.
25/03/2013 at 20:47

Gazelle - it started at 2 minutes

Weeble - I think you're right. Nearly finished now. 

O4S - sounds truly horrible

Tonight was 1.5 hours gym session with a 4 minute plank. Tomorrow will swim and run.

25/03/2013 at 21:26
Blimey O4S. I just don't can't believe you keep going in those conditions. You are by far the toughest person here. In fact you are the toughest person I know!

Pam's race was cancelled but not before she travelled there.

KFC - yep, how will you (or we) manage without that expert advice! Happy days.

I don't mind it being cool or even raining for the marathon but it doesn't bode well for looking good in the pub afterwards!
25/03/2013 at 21:31
Barry, that's really positive news. This could be a crucial week for you.

Minni - you will have enough time to pop to hairdressers before we get there
25/03/2013 at 21:42
AA - we might have to nip into a portaloo to freshen up! Lol
25/03/2013 at 21:53

Epic running O4S, it sounds grimmer than the Nationals! I really laughed at 'Northern veggies'

He's on red FGFA Minni.

Nice planking Spoons!

Hope the back has eased off a bit Free? Sounds a lot like the injury I picked up during NYC marathon - I had to have help with my socks for a week! I found heat, rather than ice, helped to ease it.  I had a hot water bottle stuffed down the back of my trousers / skirt for weeks and stank of deep heat   I might be joining you with that 3:20, my original target was 3:22 but I'm undecided whether to aim for that bit quicker going off my last few races.

AA I do look forward to the taper but always have the usual worries that I've not done enough.  The extra time freed up by running less is usually spent fretting about what I can / can't do!

It's actually a bit scary to think that this time next week the official taper will have started

Sounds like it was a grim day for a MP run Red, it's always going to be so much harder on your own without anyone to pace yourself against.  Part of the reason why I was pleased yesterday's race was on was because I didn't want to have to long run alone on a cold windy day! You've still plenty of time to see improvements, don't be disheartened. Hope things are OK at home, or as OK as they can be.

I agree with 2old kfc, don't underestimate those bike miles you've been putting in.

Recovery run done today, legs felt fine until I stretched afterwards... tonight was a deep tissue massage, that was very  

A few years back (early March 2011) we ran Barcelona marathon after a harsh winter.  We'd done all our training through snow and freezing conditions.  I remember having to plan routes that had no footpaths so we had to run on the roads, just because all of the footpaths and railway lines were thick ice for about a month and a half.  Then ran a marathon in sunny, warm Barcelona! It was about 18C I think, it was lovely after all that training in the freezing cold

25/03/2013 at 22:26
Carot - Yes your right, shit training weather equals spring mara Pb's. Well it will for you lot who aren't injured.
As Seb Coe said, trust in the shit weather training.
26/03/2013 at 06:02

Morning all!

Minni/2old/Chick, great duration runs in some tough conditions.  Well done you guys.  Great to hear you're over the lurgy, Minni, and I've found out my race number for VLM which is 27845.

AA, I'm with you entirely on adding more MP work for the last few weeks.  Will at least give us something to focus on during the mental battle that is the taper!  I am definitely looking forward to the taper for once as I'm really tired this time round.  It's been intense 

Spoons, 1:45 sounds like brilliant progress.  Nice plank challenge too 

Free, sounds like you're flying!! That's great to hear.  Brilliantly paced race, that should give you loads of confidence.  How's the back doing?

Carrot, wow! That was a speedy 10m from both you and Parsnip.  Nicely raced   Sounds like you really enjoyed it too.  And great to hear the foot's holding up.

Becs, oh no on the knee pain   Have you managed to see the physio yet?  I'd hold off on the cycling until you've seen him/her, or at least make sure you take it really easy.

Simon, I'm more than happy with two birthdays   OH is muttering something about impending bankruptcy, but I'm ignoring him   Really well done for getting through 5hrs in what sounds like horrific conditions.  

Oompa, you are so funny!  20m on the tready   And you don't even like them   I think secretly you do....  Could you do me a favour and send me the shin splint tapping thing please?  My shins are niggling a bit, grrrrrr.  Brilliant to hear your calf seems to be sorted, and well done for setting your target time!

Kiwi, my exam was at a test centre but it was a multi-guess thing so just mouse clicks  on a computer   I found out I'd passed straight away, but they wouldn't give me the result until today which I've just discovered was 87% so I'm very chuffed with that 

Blade, you are smokin'!  Brilliant running, really well done!  I hope your shins settle.  Maybe Oompa, our resident shin-splint-sorter-outer can help?  I also have no idea how to approach the taper as I'm not following any specific plan.  I may have to do a bit of research PDQ........

O4S, wow, I don't know where to start.  What an epic adventure!  Simply awesome, you are such an inspiration   And yes, golfers - idiots!!

Gazelle, can't wait to hear about the VO2 max stuff.  Sounds like fun (sort of!!)

Red, loving the sheep pun   12 at MP 6 weeks out is brilliant, well done you, especially in some nasty conditions and with the tough time you're going through.  You should be very pleased with that run, even if it felt not so good towards the end.

KFC, sounds like a very sensible re-think of your training plan.

Barry, that's great news on your return to the TM 

26/03/2013 at 06:17

I had a brilliant birthday yesterday with lots of food, wine and running pressies!!  Yep, I've now got my marathon shoes and a new iPod to replace the one that I drowned and the one that I smashed with a weight at the gym 

My run on Sunday (15m with 8MP) was OK.  I say only OK because I managed to cock up my nutrition during the day (wasn't allowed any food or drink into the exam ) and also on the run itself.  So I ended up running for 12 miles, 8 of which were at MP, in 26 degrees with no drink   The heat was fine, but it was the 50% humidity which felt very waring after a while.  So my MP felt brilliant for 6 miles, the last 2 not so brilliant, in fact it got very tough all of a sudden.  I was also running a bit faster than I should have been.  My splits were 8:22; 8:17; 8:18; 8:23; 8:19; 8:20; 8:20; 8:21.  On the way home I had to stop at two garages to buy drinks and I felt so much better so at least I reverted to 9:20m/m with no problem at all once I was hydrated.

So in terms of my marathon goal, I am still going to go for 3:44.  I will work on my MP over the next couple of weeks.  It may be that I start the race at 8:30m/m and then up the pace after half way.  I'm keeping all options open 

26/03/2013 at 06:39

SS!

HERE is the pb sheet.  Can everyone get it up to date, please! 

Blade - I've given you a column.  And you too Col and SS. 

26/03/2013 at 06:50
That's a good pace SS in that heat and unhydrated! You should feel confident of your marathon target

Barry - glad the calf held up...hopefully it'll stay that way.

Carrot - you've been flying lately and definitely should be aiming under 3.20. I'm intending on going out with 7.30s and hang on for grim death

Blade - there are some photos from Cranleigh around (sussex sport photography?). In some of mine you can tell we were having a laugh, but I didn't quite manage to hide behind the guy in front like I was trying to do! (Sorry I can't post the link here people but I'm sure you can google it - my race number was 403 if you want to do some stalking...just ignore the ones where I'm 'gurning' )

My back is a lot better today, after several deep heat patches (they sell them in an odourless form I've discovered so I didn't stink out the office!) And a hot bath last night. Still a slight twinge but nothing like yesterday and Sunday. Slight DOMS though in my quads but I can live with that! I'll be
26/03/2013 at 07:49

Spread sheet updated.  My 5 and 10k PBs look rubbish as they were all from when I first started running   Even my half (RAK 2012) is not really a proper PB as I ran it at MP for 10m (8m/m) and then pushed on for the last 3.  Excuses, excuses.....!!!

Looks like I've got some serious work to do post-VLM - BRING IT ON 

Free, thank goodness your back's feeling better.

26/03/2013 at 08:55
O4S - Your weekend exploits put us all to shame, as usual. I should throw myself and bike across some muddy fields next time I'm out, if I start moaning about the cold. You are the G.O.A.T

Freemers - glad the backs better. Those single use heat pads are really good. Justmake sure you read the instructions, as some you can apply to your skin and some you definately can't, as I found out after my OH had stuck it to my back. Oooch
Edited: 26/03/2013 at 08:57
26/03/2013 at 08:55

Nice one SS

Good news on the back Freemers

2.5km swim for me this morning in 54 minutes.

26/03/2013 at 09:34

Speed Sheep - congratulations on passing the exam, and happy birthday

O4S - Loved your report. What an adventure. I really dont know how you do it.

Freemers and Bladerunner -  excellent run at the Cranleigh 21. Both of you executed perfect pacing. Well done.

Carrot - fantastic running at the Thirsk 10, especially given the wind.

Oompa - that is great news that the calf held up. Well done for doing 20m on TM

Simon - great work on the bike.

Redwood - well done on the MP run. You did very well given the conditions.

Barry -  super news that your calf held up on the TM run, and yes that was me from your question a few days ago

26/03/2013 at 11:13

Morning all

Barry -best news yet-fingers crossed you can now build on that first run

Spoons-fast swimming

Simon-thanks for the finger warming tips-wonder how the arm circling will get on early on at VLM-how many will I knock out in the process?

SS-love your enthusiasm and dont worry about the other PBs .Youll smash them with the marathon fitness youve got in the bag

Free-good to see you are mending. Ive got a bit of lower back pain but wonder if its resulted from the ITB stretches Ive been doing-if its not one thing its another

Carrot-Minni hasnt run in conditions above -1c since October so if it goes to anything above 8c she'll suffer heat stroke

Who says TMs are rubbish .On the radio today they were saying how race horses had been kept fit on them during this cr@p weather. If its good enough for a horse its good enough for us. Wonder how many of us could get on one at the same time?

Minni-there's a hairdresser around the corner from Chandos maybe you can get in there with a quick appointment ?

Moved my MLR to later today and intervals to tomorrow.

26/03/2013 at 12:37

Carrot - you definitely should be aiming for 3:20 or a bit less.  You're in great form at the moment.  ditto Freemers.

Will have a spy at the pics later Freemers. 

Blizzard conditions here today.  Going to do hill reps with the club tonight.

Right now I'm going to collate the list.....

26/03/2013 at 12:44

How many pages since the list was started??? I can't find it!  So here we go again.... Please copy and paste if you're on a pc.

26/03/2013 at 12:50

Green Start:

2old - 3:09:59
Minni - 3:14:42
AA -
O4S -
Carrot -
Freemers -
Speed Sheep -
KFC -
Sarah O -

Blue Start:

26/03/2013 at 12:50
Minni - Sorry Minni, I'm at work on a moblie.

2old - It could be a good option to fight your way thru all the back markers, when you turn up at the last minute.
Edited: 26/03/2013 at 12:53
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.