RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

28,201 to 28,220 of 36,985 messages
29/03/2013 at 11:05

Spoons - Sun, what bloody sun... keeps snowing here and i'm at work!

O4S - Good news that they think it's not a fracture. I'm a big advocate of aqua-running now. You look a complete spanner doing it (never bothered me before), but it really seems to keep your fitness levels up... Just make sure that you do a few lengths of the pool first to prove that you can, in fact, swim! 

29/03/2013 at 11:11
Happy Easter everyone!!

O4S good that it's not a stress fractur, hope the fizz gets you sorted soon!

Spoons, excellent run well on the way to recovery

Minni awesome run, would have been the perfect destresser, love that about running.

Lol, KFC, so it was a good wedding then?!

Freemers hope your hammy sort itself out.

Carter hope your IT band/knee sorts itself out. Do listen to the advice re rest, I tried to run through IT band problems last May and am still slowly recovering now, really wished I had have rested back then to get it sorted quicker!

And to everyone else, sorry if I've missed you out, manic to read back a full week, you guys have been busy on here! All of you - Enjoy your last long runs and let the taper madness begin. You ARE ready, your training has been solid and recent race times prove you are all on fire. I am excited already about all the pbs that are going to be smashed on April 21st
29/03/2013 at 12:06

Carter, I hope the ITB is settling down.  If in doubt, go and see a physio.  Yes, it will cost money, but at this stage you need to do everything you can to put your mind at rest. 

Free, how's your leg doing?  Well done for listening to the "ouch" and stopping.  Fingers crossed it is just a tight hammy that needs some stretching out.  I can't believe you've done 8 20+ milers!!  Great running 

O4S, great news on the not-a-stress-fracture front.  And how is that hangover progressing???   Enjoy as you've earned it.

2Old, the joys of parenthood (and fickle schools!!)  Who puts a parent/teacher thing on on a Sunday??? You should inform them of an emergency change of venue - The Chandos!!

KFC, wedding must have been good fun by the sounds of it!  Happy hangover 

Spoons, that's awesome work on the session, I'm so happy for you!!  That's brought a big smile to my face 

Carrot, nice MLR, and even nicer to get home in the light!

Minni, that Tony's Trials wedding one was definitely one of the funniest he did.  It was around the time of the Royal Wedding (funny that!!) Red, if you want to look it up.  Nice speedster MP, Minni, great work!

Oompa, so good to hear your progress!  And I'm very glad you're a convert to the pool running (albeit looking like a tit in the process )  BTW, thanks for the toe-tapping stuff, Brolish sent it over to me.  How many times per day are you supposed to repeat it?

Hi Kiwi!  Hope you're doing well.

So, just to prove me right, this campaign is totally full of ups and downs.  After a rubbish run on Wednesday, I've just gone and banged out my toughest interval session yet with absolutely no trouble at all, in fact, I could easily have added in more pyramids but didn't want to go over the hour as this is my longest/hardest session so far and no point going way over the odds at this late stage.  After a warm up I did repeats of 800m at 14kph (6.53 m/m), 400m at 15kph (6.26 m/m), 200m at 16kph (6.04 m/m) then 400m then back to 800m, and down again, and up again.  I'm so chuffed.  I had no idea I could turn my legs over that quickly on a TM.  In my session I managed 4x800m, 8x400m and 4x200m.  Very happy with that indeed 

29/03/2013 at 12:10
O4S - I am glad to hear they think it isn't a stress fracture. Hopefully after all the RICE you will good for vlm

Spoons - great news on your session the other day. You have done everything right building it back up again

Barry - great news on the calf. Easy does it now

Oompa - a very good tempo run.

Freemers - hope the hamstring has settled down

Minni - awesome pace on your run. You are showing great pace on your recent runs. I think sub 3:15 is well within your capability.

I did 11m MLR on Wednesday with the second half progressive and the last 2m at 7:24. Overall pace was 7:50. Last night's tempo was cancelled due to snow but a few of us did a 5k as a training run instead. This morning 4m recovery run at 8.48 pace. Tomorrow will be my last 20 and I have decided on 10 easy and 10 at marathon pace.

Good luck to all racing or lsr ing this weekend.
29/03/2013 at 12:44

SS - Veeeeeery nice intervals... 6.04 m/m!! Sub 3.45 target???... A sub 3.30 beckons!

Do the tippy-tappy thing 2 or 3 times a day. If you do any more than this the front of your legs will feel like they've been bbq'd!

Col - I'm with you on the last lsr. A 20 or possibly a 22 (see how i feel), with the second half at mp for me on Sunday.

Good luck Brol and whoever else is racing this weekend (i've forgotten who's doing what).

29/03/2013 at 13:32
Have just become the proud possessor of an iPhone and experimenting with how to use. Apparently I was due an upgrade in 2005! Proved to be an expensive morning as had to get a second iPad mini for BA so that he leaves mine alone! Better get back to running before we are declared bankrupt
29/03/2013 at 15:11

Freemers: hope the hamstring feels better. Like kfc said, intervals always bear a risk of picking up an injury.

O4S: glad they found out what it is.

kfc: sounds like you had fun at the wedding

Holy shit Min! 10 miles @ 7:10 You on the naughty step now? Must get stressed before Monday morning so I blast my half

Spoons: great progress

SS: what a mega brilliant pyramid sesh! Well done. Looks like your shit runs are happening outside due to the heat. The gym with aircon seems to boost your running. Nice!!

Last 22 miler of the campaign completed. 8:40 pace. HR only 69% of max. One of those easy runs where you feel afterwards like you haven't run . But that was the intention. Didn't want to wear myself out before Monday.

86 miles in the last 7 days

29/03/2013 at 15:30

Oompa, it was only 6.04 m/m for 200m at a time!!!  Mind you, it did feel pretty good....  Anyway, my expectations are well and truly in check after struggling with 9:30+ m/m the other day.  2-3 times per day is fine for the toe taps, I can manage that.

Col, I hope the last LSR goes well.  I am aiming for 20m on Sunday.  I'm not sure on what to do, whether I should do it all at easy pace or the second half at MP if I feel good. Anybody got any thoughts on this?  I'm inclined to think that just getting the miles done comfortably is more important for my confidence, but if I feel good, should I go for it?

O4S, enjoy the iPhone!

29/03/2013 at 15:31
Nice 20 there Chick - now for a nice rest up before Monday.

O4S - you'll not need to talk to BA now!

Col - it's hard to believe runs are still being hampered by the snow. Are you feeling more comfortable about MP?

Kiwi - are you coming to London to watch the marathon? Looks like have virtually the whole forum in Chandos.

SS - I love your posts! You always seem surprised when something's gone well. Nice to see a happy runner.

Haha Chick - I'm not sure what step I'm on just now - possibly out on the pavement! Lets just say MP talks are ongoing but that wasn't MP! It did feel quite good though and I would have happily gone on for much longer.

I'm scheduled to do a final 20 at easy pace *yawn* again on Monday but I'm really keen to spice it up a bit. I'm still worried that I'm hitting the taper with far too much energy.
Edited: 29/03/2013 at 15:32
29/03/2013 at 15:33

X-post Chick.  Well done on that last 22 miler, sounds like it went brilliantly   Good luck for Monday, race well.  You could well be right on the temps, I'm just rubbish in the heat sometimes.  PLEASE let it be sub-25 degrees for VLM...... 

29/03/2013 at 15:38

Speed Sheep - wicked intervals, wow you would have been buzzing after that  

Col - your plan for the last 20 sounds good.

Chick, a great 22 miles, and wow 86 miles in the last 7 days!!

Minni - I think I am going to come up, funny thing is because I have always run London and not spectated, I don't really know what to expect/where to go? Am thinking being nearer miles 20-22 might be good as a shouting point for encouragement in those last few mile? Then I'm worried I might not see any of you, if Mr Kiwi's record is anything to go by.... He has watched me run 6 marathons and I have never seen him, he claims he did actually see me last year.....!

So, I got all inspired by Spoons tale of a great run post injury Went out and did 5 miles progressive in the sunshine, felt wonderful and finally didn't feel too scared to pick the pace up a little on the way back. Still going at snail pace compared to you lot but have just entered a 10km for the start of June - something to work towards! (I also entered Mr Kiwi, not sure how happy he will be but I think it will do him good!)

29/03/2013 at 15:40
Kiwi - Mr Minni always goes to mile 13-14 then once I go through there he shifts to mile 22. I have seen him at both points in every marathon! I can get more specific placings from him if you like?
29/03/2013 at 15:45

Minni - that sounds like a good plan. I've had friends in the past who have done something similar and I've always seen them on the way around.....

29/03/2013 at 16:13

Minni - my plan was to try and hang on to you!  42:XX would be acceptable, I'd really like to see if I can just sneak under 42 though.  Easy to say that when I'm not running!  I'm the same with my last 20M on Sunday, I don't want to just run it at easy pace!

Hope the hangover has subsided kfc, I've not had one for a while and don't miss them one bit! So the wedding was good then?  A good drink on Sunday night is on the cards to celebrate the beginning of the taper

SS that sounds like a cracking session, well done! Great idea doing them at different paces, those 800m reps will have seemed easy compared to the speed of the 200m.  I agree with Chick, the heat & humidity will be a massive factor in your outdoor training runs.  Wait til you get to the UK, it's freezing!

Last long run out of the way Chick, just the small matter of a half marathon to race then taper time!

A June 10K sounds like a good target Kiwi, you've had a long and patient journey from injury - remember all those short runs on grass! - I love progressive runs especially when they finish better than you planned for them to.

Ran my 10M with 7 @ MP with Parsnip today.  So the MP bit ended up a bit quicker than planned.  Easy run tomorrow.

29/03/2013 at 16:56
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got a physio session booked in for Tuesday. The hardest part is resisting the temptation to go out and run. I may just do a few intervals up to the bar and back at the local this evening instead
29/03/2013 at 18:07

Thanks for the advice last week, i ended up going for the 10M race, and it went really well. I finished in 67mins.... but with 16 days to go until rotterdam i'm now wondering if I should set off a bit quicker than the 7:45min/mile that i was originally planning to do?! Below are my splits for the 10M

6:44

6:49

6:41

6:51

6:42

6:33

6:48

6:10

29/03/2013 at 18:56
Minni - Nice de-stressing run. Now how can we wind you up just before VLM, you're be flying.

Chick - Nice 22m, looking good.

SS - Great pyramid intervals on the TM.

Spoons - Glad you've managed to come back from injury.

R83 - that's a fast 10miler. So your mara target is 3:20-3:25 approx?

O4S - Glad its not a stress fracture. Now you and BA have got an iPad each, you can FaceTime each other from different rooms in the house!
Yes it's time to get the bikes out.

Well nice sunny day here on the North west coast, still cold and a bit windy, but nowhere near as bad as last weekend.
80.5miles on the bike in 5:29, up to Chipping in the Trough of Bowland. Felt ok this week.
Good luck to all the racers this weekend.
29/03/2013 at 19:06

Minni -Very nice MP run.

Kfc -  You feeling any better?

SS - Very speedy repeats, well done. How about 3 easy 3 MP repeat for your long one not as daunting as 10 at MP but still a good workout.

Chick -  Good long run from you.

Kiwi - Good news on your 5 miler.

R83 - Very quick racing,  those times point to a quicker MP but it depends if have the  endurance over the distance, how have your long runs gone and have you tried any MP towards the end of those runs?

10 miles at 7:30 pace on the tready this afternoon and it felt tough, worringly HR was in the high 160's by the end, but I'm just happy to be running again.

Edited: 29/03/2013 at 19:07
29/03/2013 at 19:15
Barry - 10@ 7.30 is still good coming back from injury
29/03/2013 at 19:33

My long runs have gone ok, but i dont think i've run them quite by the book.... my 3 longest in training are below, 50miles is the maximum mileage i've done in a week, it's normally been around the 42miles mark per week....maybe i should just stick with 7:45min/miles and if i feel at the end of it i could've gone quicker i can always sign up for an autumn marathon!

22miles - 2hrs 59mins (8:07) (Miles 11-17 at 7:45 pace)

20miles - 2hrs 41mins (7:53) (fairly even pace the whole way round)

19miles - 2hrs 32mins (7:59) (again all fairly evenly paced)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.