RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

28,801 to 28,820 of 37,093 messages
14/04/2013 at 19:50

Fear not everyone the curse of the O4S entourage will not strike at Charing Cross - we are staying near Canary Wharf and using the DLR to the start.

Tension was running high here this afternoon - my iron-on letters arrived last week and for obvious reasons I can't put then on my running top myself.  I usually just wear the same top each year having had a real problem originally getting the letters on - but Macmillan have some some new running gear, which is better sizing and lighter - so back to the drawing board.  I should perhaps mention that when I first ran for Macmillan in 2009 BA refused to iron the letters on in case he made a mistake and I had to kill him - so instead I did it and ironed half the letters on to the tea towel that you were supposed to put on top of the letters to protect the rest of the shirt

When BA diod his own shirt the next year he refused to let me help [can't imagine why!] and managed to burn a hole in the shirt and shrivel one of the letters.  This was not shaping up well..................

Anyway he had to do it this time and amazingly I now have a shirt with most of my name on it...................................

Hand still really sore so off to the Doc tomorrow to see if I have picked up an infection - I'm a bit  suspicious as I have just developed an ulcer on my lip the size of Vesuvius

To recognise me at VLM you now only have to spot the large sling and the runner with an incomplete name on their top and a bag over their head - think you can manage that team???

Take care everyone....................................

14/04/2013 at 19:54
Oomps - definitely sounds like IT pain. Foam roller to calf, hammy, it band and glutes. Well done on 13 miler

2old - don't write yourself off. I havent run double figures either this weekend. We will meet you at charring cross. Brace yourself for steep walk up from maize hill!,

Freemers - perfect running.

Blade?.?

My client ran Brighton today and the bus from the car park was delayed. He had to run 2 miles to start, dodge slower runners and ended up with chronic cramp at 19.5 miles and had to stop 4 times. Did 3:32 but was gutted about it all.
14/04/2013 at 19:57
Ah O4S - it goes on hey! We will find you with all the celebs no prob at green start. Are you still going up to the expo on Thursday? If so what time do you think your aim will pass through Reading?
14/04/2013 at 20:30
O4S- the thought of you and an iron filled me with fear. Pity the DLR . Good luck at the Docs
AA- so the party starts at Charring Cross..can't wait. Not too worried about the lack of runs really its the idea of running with constant heel pain or discomfort that's doing my head in ..I want to enjoy it . Great performance by your client inspite of the obstacles. These are details which make the choice of marathon important. It's a shame to have logistics to take the edge off months of hard work.
Didn't Blade say he was going to get ' reasonably drunk' ?
Edited: 14/04/2013 at 20:56
14/04/2013 at 21:01

O4S - glad to hear the sense of humour is holding up! Best of luck at the docs.

14/04/2013 at 21:01
2old - you'll love the noisy banter from charring cross. We almost forget about the marathon!! You'll hear us before you see us!!
And running with pain is all part and part of the marathon isn't it?! It always is in my case. Just gotta keep telling myself as soon as I cross the line the pain stops instantly!
14/04/2013 at 21:18
AA- think the pain may be starting at Charing Cross ..heh..heh
14/04/2013 at 21:24

Been away doing the endurance session that is a centreparcs holiday. Managed to do a couple of short runs round the lake, which was lovely with bunnies running across my path. Knee and calf both a bit niggly which is a reminder to not get carried away and do to much too soon.

Then when back had the endurance session that is catching up with this thread. I missed some brilliant racing last weekend including Ant getting his 3:30 . Happy birthday as well for this weekend.

2Old, congrats to your daugher for getting round on her first marathon. I got my training completely wrong for my first marathon and did 4:46 but then trained better for the second and ran 3:56 (albeit quite a few years later).

Now nearly everyone seems to be injured . Hope everyone is recovering? Minni, arnica might help with the bruising. (Afraid I don't know anything about the other injuries.) Be careful all of you this last week and try to conserve mental energy as much as possible, although I know that's easier said than done.

14/04/2013 at 21:45

haha, its true AA. There's always so much catching up to do there's no time for nerves! 2old - you'll have to wear a red carnation.

O4S -  hope the Doc sorts you out tomorrow.

Spoons - did you enjoy watching the marathon?  Were conditions good?

I've been leafing through photos of 2011 when me and AA ran together and got 3:28.  I thought I'd share this photo of us...

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/46278/gallery/25748_332376377444_69456244_0.jpg?width=350

14/04/2013 at 22:16
Minni- if you and AA are going to run in gear like that I'm gate crashing the red start. How about a yellow daffodil ?
Becs- I will pass your experience onto 2young. Thanks.
14/04/2013 at 22:17

Evening!  Not sure if I'll bump into any of you next Sunday but I will be at the blue start, wearing pink and hoping to enjoy my second chance at running London

Training has been up and down due to both the weather and injury so my longest long run was 19 miles last weekend however this time round my focus is on something other than the time as I am using my ballot place to raise money for Breat Cancer Care as my sister-in-law has terminal breast cancer.  Even if I come in just under 5 hours that will be faster than 2008!

14/04/2013 at 22:37
USB- good luck next week..most here are green start. Thanks for reminding me what is important too;its only a race but what you and many others are running for matter a lot more .
15/04/2013 at 08:35

Great to see you USB

Fab abs, Minni & AA in that pic

So, whatever happened to Blade ??

15/04/2013 at 08:55

Hi all

Just a quick check in to wish everyone all the best for Sunday! May the weather be cooler than yesterday.......  I have been snatching a few mos here and there to keep abreast of the thread but really hard to post at work (luckily wfh today) and then time at a premium at home re our second kiddie now being (over) due......  A particular well done to Oompa on a speedy half at PW, a really great time and well deserved!

I'm doing Manchester on the 28th, training a bit so, so.  Not quite as many long miles as would give me confidence on hitting target but hoping it'll at least be close (aiming for 3.10 for a Boston Qualifier).  Speed still there tho - shiny new 10k pb last month, 37.36 and 4th overall (but was a new local small scale race)  Gobsmacked I was!!

Anyways, all the best & I look fwd to reading the race reports!!

G

15/04/2013 at 09:21

Hi Cooks and USB - great to see you both

We need a list of race numbers for VLM for anyone who wants to track - I know there was one somewhere back but I think I got mine wrong on that anyway...so I'll start:

Freemers - 28971

15/04/2013 at 09:41
Hi cooks - good luck with Manchester and the baby!

Hi USB - good luck on Sunday.

Freemers - I'm with you with your pain on Thursday night. One of my close friends is having her 50th on Friday night. Cocktails and dinner party. I feel a bit rude but I know I won't be into it all and wod rather be at home but I've got to go ... And just have one or two maybe.

Trendy 5 done for me. Everything felt a bit tight. Did it on my tready. 1@8 m/m 1@7:26 1@7.00 1@7:26 and 1@8. Not sure what to do on Wednesday now. If anything.

I will add to list in a bit.
15/04/2013 at 10:24

USB - lovely to see you pop in - will you be at the Chandos?

Cooks - good to see you are still speedy, make sure you let us know how Manchester goes

AA - sounds like it could be like your pre Berlin 'carb loading' plan...

Simon - nice one, was that your first 100+ ride?

Minni - thanks for the Seb pic!

Knee niggle confirmed at taper madness - did 13 hilly miles through the epsom downs to box hill on Saturday, 2hrs40 on feet and no problems.

I'll probably be going to the expo Wednesday pm, if not then Thursday morning.

Freemers - 28971

Kfc - 27836

15/04/2013 at 10:27

Hi Cooks!

Hi Bridget!

Summer is here at last. Just in time for VLM as every year! 

15/04/2013 at 10:38

Hi Cooks-blistering 10k-have a good one at Manchester , endurance will be easy now you have  new baby-congrats

KFC-good running in the Downs

AA- good tick over run-Weds is the couple of miles at MP day , I am led to believe

Free-number to follow

Tempted to have an easy jog but will probably just swim and spin today, maybe tomorrow?

Blade -hope your celebrations were good

15/04/2013 at 11:23

Ps - Spoons, it can be a bit exposed on the south downs eh!  Thats where I do my hilly long runs, I love running there.  Hope your weekend in Brighton was fun.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.