Minni v Dubai Dave

28,801 to 28,820 of 37,355 messages
15/04/2013 at 08:35

Great to see you USB

Fab abs, Minni & AA in that pic

So, whatever happened to Blade ??

15/04/2013 at 08:55

Hi all

Just a quick check in to wish everyone all the best for Sunday! May the weather be cooler than yesterday.......  I have been snatching a few mos here and there to keep abreast of the thread but really hard to post at work (luckily wfh today) and then time at a premium at home re our second kiddie now being (over) due......  A particular well done to Oompa on a speedy half at PW, a really great time and well deserved!

I'm doing Manchester on the 28th, training a bit so, so.  Not quite as many long miles as would give me confidence on hitting target but hoping it'll at least be close (aiming for 3.10 for a Boston Qualifier).  Speed still there tho - shiny new 10k pb last month, 37.36 and 4th overall (but was a new local small scale race)  Gobsmacked I was!!

Anyways, all the best & I look fwd to reading the race reports!!

G

15/04/2013 at 09:21

Hi Cooks and USB - great to see you both

We need a list of race numbers for VLM for anyone who wants to track - I know there was one somewhere back but I think I got mine wrong on that anyway...so I'll start:

Freemers - 28971

15/04/2013 at 09:41
Hi cooks - good luck with Manchester and the baby!

Hi USB - good luck on Sunday.

Freemers - I'm with you with your pain on Thursday night. One of my close friends is having her 50th on Friday night. Cocktails and dinner party. I feel a bit rude but I know I won't be into it all and wod rather be at home but I've got to go ... And just have one or two maybe.

Trendy 5 done for me. Everything felt a bit tight. Did it on my tready. 1@8 m/m 1@7:26 1@7.00 1@7:26 and 1@8. Not sure what to do on Wednesday now. If anything.

I will add to list in a bit.
15/04/2013 at 10:24

USB - lovely to see you pop in - will you be at the Chandos?

Cooks - good to see you are still speedy, make sure you let us know how Manchester goes

AA - sounds like it could be like your pre Berlin 'carb loading' plan...

Simon - nice one, was that your first 100+ ride?

Minni - thanks for the Seb pic!

Knee niggle confirmed at taper madness - did 13 hilly miles through the epsom downs to box hill on Saturday, 2hrs40 on feet and no problems.

I'll probably be going to the expo Wednesday pm, if not then Thursday morning.

Freemers - 28971

Kfc - 27836

15/04/2013 at 10:27

Hi Cooks!

Hi Bridget!

Summer is here at last. Just in time for VLM as every year! 

15/04/2013 at 10:38

Hi Cooks-blistering 10k-have a good one at Manchester , endurance will be easy now you have  new baby-congrats

KFC-good running in the Downs

AA- good tick over run-Weds is the couple of miles at MP day , I am led to believe

Free-number to follow

Tempted to have an easy jog but will probably just swim and spin today, maybe tomorrow?

Blade -hope your celebrations were good

15/04/2013 at 11:23

Ps - Spoons, it can be a bit exposed on the south downs eh!  Thats where I do my hilly long runs, I love running there.  Hope your weekend in Brighton was fun.

15/04/2013 at 12:15

KFC - it certainly was a bit windy on the ridge. I nearly blew off a couple of times. With your long runs - some of the inclines were like 15 min mile pace. I presume you just forget the Garmin and run on time...?

15/04/2013 at 12:31

Cooks - mega well done.  I had noticed that on Jantastic.  Brilliant effort.  Make sure you let us know when da-babeee-cookster arrives.

Chick - we we'd done a lot of core that year.

Well done Freemers starting a new list.  I scrolled back at the weekend but couldn't find the first one - this thread moves too fast.

Freemers - 28971

Kfc - 27836

Minni - 29044 (I think - I'll check)

(Actually I will keep copying this into my posts so we don't lose it again).

15/04/2013 at 13:34

Hi Cooks- smashing 10k, good luck in Manchester!

Hi USB

Minni- lol...lovely abs!

Can't remember my number, will add it later from home.

I'm getting nervous now...

15/04/2013 at 14:34

HELLLLOOOOOOOO!!!!

Guys - Firstly thank you soooo much for all the well wishes from you all prior to yesterday. Really, really appreciated. Sorry didn't get on here before the race as just didn't realise how much I still had to prepare / plan / early night etc! Then yesterday, we pretty much stayed out the whole day as the weather was so nice. By the time I got home and laid on the sofa to watch a bit of The Masters, I crashed out!

So, I am no longer a Marathon virgin! Official time of 3hrs28mins17secs (average pace of 7:56mm) What a day! My target was inside 3:30, as you all know and I crossed the line well and truly spent! Therefore, I was really chuffed and pleased with how I did.

My splits look like this according to the tracking:

10KM - 48:54 (7.52/mile)

Half Way - 53:21 (7:44/mile)

30KM - 44:14 (7:59/mile)

Finish - 1:01:45 (8:08/mile)

Day started perfectly as it was pretty cool with light drizzle and I got off to a really comfortable start. Looked at my watch and it was saying av. pace 7:47. In theory I thought this might have been a little quick but it felt really comfortable so I just stuck with it. I crossed the half way point feeling untouchable and it pretty much stayed this way right up to mile 19... I knew I had my brother and my Mum waiting for me at 21 miles so it wasn't too much of a problem getting to that point, although it was starting to hurt a bit. After seeing the family I literally had a 'Wall' moment, albeit it probably wasn't the full wall but, pretty close!

Between 21 miles and 24.5 miles it was just a complete mental battle to get my legs to keep going one in front of the other. I felt light headed, dehydrated, hungry, you name it! I took on a gel at mile 23 and saw a good friend of mine at 24.5 miles. After a quick high five with him, I found an extra gear from somewhere and had a strong finish for the last 1.7 miles.

There are parts of Brighton that are psycologically pretty tough but the crowd really help and were out in full force as the weather got better. During the last 1.7 miles the noise was deafening with cheers, hooters, drums etc.

So just leaves me to thank all of you on this forum for all your encouragement, words of wisdom, advice, humour, inspirational stories and everything else that has helped or made me smile along the way.

So as we turn our attentions to VLM, how is everyone feeling?

15/04/2013 at 14:44

Blade - nice one. Totally fab result for a first marathon!

I'm still suffering from my birthday celebrations 

15/04/2013 at 14:55

Fantastic Blade! Well done you.   So pleased you beat your target by so much.

15/04/2013 at 15:08

Blade - that is a brilliant first marathon...I knew you'd do it seeing how strong you ran in Cranleigh . Now you know why they say it is a race of two halves....the first 20 and the last 6! Not many people hit their target first time round, so you should be really really pleased. And actually your pace doesn't look like it dropped too much near the end, great to have a strong finish too. You must have been grinning all the way to the line when you knew it was in the bag

I think the answer to your question is that we are all feeling super confident and not panicked at all

Trendy 5 for me today easy pace but it felt heavy legged which I am putting down to yesterday's run and last week nerves. Only two more runs to go before Sunday...will do another 5 tomorrow and then 3-4 with strides Thursday. 

15/04/2013 at 15:14

I'm mostly thinking 'pacing' at the moment.  Its a good reminder, seeing others run their marathons first, that it is 26 miles (a fecking long way) and correct pacing in the first half - three quarters is essential.

Even pacing, even pacing

Repeat...

15/04/2013 at 15:20

Blade-congrats on easily beating your target and sub 3.30 for your first marathon. Well paced too. Your almost a wall moment will be experienced by most of us on Sunday too so you dealt with it really well. Enjoy watching us suffer the last few taper days.

Free-consistent to the end I see

Bro-nervous? Im a bag of anxiety and worry...same as everyday

Ant-At least you can feel ill without any worry about ruining a run youve got planned

15/04/2013 at 15:28

I've found a reasonable weather forecast for Sunday...10-12 degrees during the race hours, light wind, cloud, no rain. That would be pretty good

Minni - wise words. One of these days I'll get it right!

15/04/2013 at 15:30

Spot on spoons - I check the distance but run on effort and enjoy the view!

Blade - thats a first marathon to be proud of.  I cant imagine theres many people who manage a performance like that first time round.  Whats next? 

Fashionable 5 for me at MP.  Still feeling a little harder and HR is higher than I'd like it to. 

15/04/2013 at 15:32

Minni-I learnt that from you after last year but what pace?

Free-that forecast will do for me

A mile swim this lunchtime and only a couple of sneezes. I want to runNOW!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.