RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

29,401 to 29,420 of 37,584 messages
23/04/2013 at 09:22

Morning all, hope you're all recovering well and stop feeling sick soon.

Welcome AG and 3:30.

6 miles for me this morning at roughly 8:30mm so already improving - so that's 2 miles on Friday, 4 miles on Sunday and 6 this morning. At this rate, I've worked out that I'll be up to marathon distance on May 13 Good to be back running again although I don't feel anything like a runner again yet!

23/04/2013 at 09:23
Minni wrote (see)

Freemers - its on my photos. 29044.  Its really good.

Found it - that's a great one...although the PROOF goes straight across my face (no bad thing really before anyone else says it!). We all look so relaxed

23/04/2013 at 09:26

Sorry I am only getting round to posting now, but I can't seem to access the forum from my phone anymore. I will have a proper read back later today. 

Fantastic running Minni, AA, Freemers, kfc, AA, FRC, Oompa, Chickadee, Speed Sheep, Carrot, Bolish, O4S and Barry. I was so pleased to see that many of you got pbs. 

It was a bad day at the office for me. I had made the decision to shoot for a 3:15 with a rough idea of getting to half way in 1:36:30 to 1:37. I started off way to fast, and even though I thought I was holding back I clearly wasn't as my first 5k was 45s quicker than I had planned. I then made mistake number 2 at about the the 5m point when a 3:15 pacer came flying passed me. In hindsight I should have let him go and stuck to my own pacing plan, but instead I decided to go with him for the next 6m when i was averaging about 7:12 to 7:15 per mile. I then settled more into a 7:20 to 7:25 pace until mile 17 and then suddenly my pace dropped to 7:40s. At 18m Minni and AA came passed looking very comfortable indeed. I kept the pace at 7:50s until mile 21 when my pace dropped to 8:40s and then it was 9 minute miling. By mile 23 my legs had totally gone and it became a real struggle to keep going. I tried my best to get going again, but it just wasn't going to happen. I eventually finished in 3:29:38. I am going to have to consider a different approach to training for the next time!

Other than my time, I had a great day. The crowd support was probably the best I have experienced. It was lovely to meet Minni, AA and Freemers during the race, and to meet kfc and Oompa in Chandos.

23/04/2013 at 10:14

Great photo at the start gang!  For the record the bloke on the end is not a forum member [or at least not yet]!

Meant tosay that my friend was second in the M60 category with 3.03.03  He is off to do the Belfast marathon in 2 weeks...............................

Col: I feel your pain!!  Still at least it was sub 3.30.

Daren: sounding positive, great to have you back

23/04/2013 at 10:25

(((col)))  but you still sneaked in under 3:30 . The temptation to start with a fast pace is sometimes just too strong. And you never know - it could be your day. Sometimes things just click, more often though they don't. We've all been there many times...

O4S: how fast is he ?? Wow.

old4speed wrote (see)

Chick:  I felt a lot of empathy with your Hamburg report, great time given you felt a bit out of touch with what was going on - any plans for an Autumn marathon?

No autumn plans. My body needs a break from marathon training. I will do more cycling (to please Mr. Chick ) and faster stuff over the summer. Hopefully a 1:30-ish HM in October and then start base building for a spring marathon 2014. Really tempted to do Boston ... 
Hamburg is on May 4 next year, that's definitely too late in the year. If we could get a Boston group togther it'd be fun

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 10:26
23/04/2013 at 10:53

Darren - good to hear you're getting back into it. 6 miles @ 8:30 is not shabby at all.

23/04/2013 at 11:10
Minnie - I remember Valuxian! Sorry to hear you are feeling so sick and hope you feel better soon.

O4S - your friend is amazingly fast and obviously recovers well too. Inspiring stuff.

Nice run Darren. Sounds like you're a runner to me!

7 miles undulating trail run for me this morning which was obviously a good workout as the dog is snoring loudly. Will also do the 3 miles to work later but not sure if I'll be running home as well.
23/04/2013 at 12:00

Col-dont fret about it -youve got what it takes. Have a break then review your training /racing for it and see where adjustments can be made. Im sure youll get a lot of ideas from this thread.Anyway it was a good run by you-that second half is tough.My enthusiasm disappears immediately once I head off away from Tower Bridge and it takes a bit to keep things on track. Sub 3.30 is a good time too though I know why you were disappointed but then at least you could run it and not have to sit it out and youll soon be fully recovered

O4S- so glad about the operation success and now you go off ultra-ing -VLM was a diversion for you I think. Where did you get the GFA details from? Has VLM published its 2014 requirements yet?

Daren-good to see you back-youll soon be banging out those fast times

CG and 3.30-welcome

Spoons-100 lengths sounds less than 2.5k for some reason. I had a sneezing attack last night as usual after a swimming session. Our open water swim training was cancelled as the water was too cold. Looking forward to swimming in non chlorinated water but not looking forward to freezing my b***s off!

Minni-look after your liver

Chick-glad the DOMS have gone-a 12 mile run must be on the cards now?

I had a sneaky peak at what marathons are coming up in the next 6 weeks or so but its more wishful thinking than anything. If i can recover enough to be able to run 5k so I can do a sprint Tri or two I will be happy....ok....less miserable

23/04/2013 at 13:34

2old - I always spend the day sneezing after a morning swim....

23/04/2013 at 14:08
My DOMS are bad today!!

The lake is open now... Might leave it a week or 4 until it warms up. Wonder if they've dyed it again this year!!!

And better news...I am collecting my new road bike today. An Eddie Merckx. Been recommended to me...and it hopefully will fit! The half iron man training starts soon...!!!
23/04/2013 at 14:16

I can't even contemplate exercise. 

I'm wrecked.

23/04/2013 at 14:22

Spoons-thats sort of reassuring

AA- your pond must be warmer than ours. Ah.... Eddie Merckx one of the 5(only!) famous Belgians most people can name...is it an antique? You could do a half IM straight off in a couple of weeks once youve rested enough

Minni-so it should be...you used up everything on Sunday

2k swim done-sooo boring...ahhh choo

23/04/2013 at 14:30

2old....er Audrey Hepburn, Jean-Claude Van Dam, Plastic Bertrand (I think?)...that's it.

Colleague asked me when my training starts again. I gave him a "look"...

23/04/2013 at 14:32

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/370896/gallery/vlm13_finish.jpg?width=350

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/370896/gallery/vlm13_mall.jpg?width=350

Two puffing pensioners

2old: I'm assuming the 70+ won't change, it has always been the same and any change is unlikely to make a significant difference to numbers.

23/04/2013 at 14:43

O4S - top photos

Did anyone else register for the 'top 10%' thing on the Lucozade stand at the expo, when you picked up your pace bands? I can't remember what the deal was with it?

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 14:44
23/04/2013 at 14:49

O4S-ooking at those pics I think they need to have an enquiry at VLM about people blagging they are older than they really are. Great pics-looks like youre arriving for the race not leaving and no disappointment to be seen and quite right too

Free-Poirot and Tintin! Bet you have a run before the end of the week

23/04/2013 at 14:58

Freemers - I did.  I think they said an email would be sent to the top 10%.

23/04/2013 at 15:00

Still great reading, guys... Good to see people coming back to the forum and being inspired by the TM crew. I gues there are probably a lot of people who read these forums without ever actually posting...

9 days now since my first Marathon and only an 800m swim to speak of! Going to hit the streets tonight for my first run back. Gonna take 2old's advice and just run a trendy five miler with no watch / HRM.

So now booked a 10K, the GSR in October and a half to keep me focused. There are some great trail runs coming up through the summer too.

I will be applying to NYC marathon tomorrow and London next Monday. Guess these are all just completely pot luck if you are hoping to get in through the ballot - does it help if you have a run a mara before??

23/04/2013 at 15:01

Still can't put an avatar on my profile - is this a bladerunner07 problem or a RW problem?

23/04/2013 at 15:09
2oldnever wrote (see)

Free-Poirot and Tintin! Bet you have a run before the end of the week

But they aren't real....are they? I might run Friday, 'tis true

Minni - I'll look out for that email then!

Blade - I think RW still have an avatar upload issue, but not sure.  I think on the ballots it's pretty much pot luck....but we'll keep our fingers crossed for you!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.