RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

29,481 to 29,500 of 37,320 messages
24/04/2013 at 10:43

Minni, I reckon with a bit of focus on the shorter distances you could smash quite a few PBs in the remainder of the year and then come back with an even quicker marathon next year with the extra speed you've gained. It's not like you need to work on your endurance.

2Old/Freemers - Maybe it's not that men have worse conversion rates, rather that women don't have the pace to run the HM as fast as they should  Predictor says I could run a 3:14, but that's based on pre-injury me - right now I'd be happy to run a 2-hour HM and don't think I could even complete a full one!

24/04/2013 at 10:49

Daren - I definitely fall into that category.  I don't really like to be out my comfort zone and always try and keep things on the right side of difficult.   This is why I think racing lots of shorter distances will be good for me. 

I will run a sub 1:30 HM this year.  There I said it!

24/04/2013 at 10:57

no desire to run either Minni

I hope there will be another marathon for me to top Sunday  because I want to run Boston 2014 

Have convinced Mr Chick and he thinks it's a great idea. Plan is to run Boston, spend a few days there, fly to Chicago and then drive Route 66 to LA, with a stop in Vegas for a few days.

Now I need to convince my boss that it's a great idea for me to take 4 weeks off next April ....  and I need to get a place of course .

Oh dear FRC - a race so soon? Ouch.

carrot: you always write the best reports. Fantastic .

Spoons: that calculator is not bad. It predicted 3:25:24 for me - I was 50sec quicker. It also predicted 3:37:18 for 2010 when I ran 3:38 so it's +/- one minute.  Really interesting how women seem to convert better.

24/04/2013 at 11:04

I have no doubt you will Minni  I'm not so confident I will!

24/04/2013 at 11:05
O4S - How many points do you get for a small child? Lol

2old - Yes rowing is on hold at the moment, til after my little bike ride. Good luck with your Achilles recovery.
24/04/2013 at 11:12

I tried the calculater based on my HM time in March and laughed when it said my marathon time would be 2.56.52 but it was spot on with my 10k time at 40.25 which was my Feb 10k time. But now I have to hope I can gradually return and have a go next year. Even if I run a marathon inthe Autumn it wont be a PB attempt

Minni-now you have a 3.15 theres no looking back-you will have lots of other great marathon experiences ,maybe for different reasons. I had planned blasting the 10ks this summer but now I will have to wait and see. Sub 90 HM is a certainty but maybe choose one which gives you the best chance-not too crowded and not too hilly and build up for it without too many races and taper.I suspect you would destry it then

Chick-you must run Boston-in fact everyone here must-its the very rare race where nearly all entrants must qualify and that is almost as good as having a lucozade top 10% t shirt

24/04/2013 at 11:23

Oops-I used the wrong calculator but Im not convinced by it. Using last years March HM time 1.32 it predicts 3.28, but at VLM I did 3.14 and this years March HM predicted 3.12 but I did 3.09 in October . It shows that care is needed in using these calculators as a pace guide. The one I used earlier would result in disaster and this one to possibly underperform. Then again a lot depends on what happens on the day ,the weather , the training , the course ,congestion etc etc.

Simon-Thanks-are you mixing up your biking -its not just??? the long one is it? Im thinking of doing a bit of rowing whilst I cant run

24/04/2013 at 11:25

That link gives me a marathon time of 3:22.08!

24/04/2013 at 11:56

2old: have you done Boston before? Is it easy to get in? I read something about registration waves and that people who beat the qualifying time by 20mins may register in the first wave. So hopefully I will be OK and get accepted.

24/04/2013 at 11:56

Minni - if you put in 1.29.59 you get a predicted marathon of 3.15.35...so really you have no excuse (give or take a few seconds) not to run a sub 1.30 this year

I've just entered my first 10k in about 5 years - my local one in mid June. So long as it's not too hot it'll be a fast one as I know the course well and it is flat.

24/04/2013 at 12:13

eeek ... that means if I want to go sub 3:15 next Spring I need to run a sub 1:30 half between now and then

24/04/2013 at 12:28
Minni wrote (see)

I will run a sub 1:30 HM this year.  There I said it!

I'm also very confident you'll run a sub 1:30 10km Minni

24/04/2013 at 12:34

No you don't Chick!  We are a special breed on here!

My first 10k is 7th May.  It as a hilly first half and is partly off road.  It won't be a pb attempt but will start the 10k ball rolling.  Then I have another the week after... and another the week after that.... then 3 in June....  

24/04/2013 at 12:36

When I have a minute I'm going to copy and paste all our race reports into the library.  We can draw strength from them in the future.

24/04/2013 at 13:01

holy shit - that's a lot of 10ks   my first one is May 26. I'm going to run one a month, that'll do me

Love the idea about the race report library

And ... actually I would LOVE to run a sub 1:30 half   

24/04/2013 at 13:27

Hi all

Just wanted to grab the chance to congratulate everyone on their times at london.

I managed it in 3:47 in the end and i'm not too disappointed for a first go.

I found a post i wrote last year that said something along the lines of 'I want to do Silverstone half in 1:40 and London marathon in 4:30' ... great to see that after hitting 1:30 and 3:47 respectively.

All of your advice really helped with the marathon prep and on the day so thank you very much.

24/04/2013 at 13:44
Sean that's brilliant. Did you end up in Pen 9? Post that on Sarah's thread too as I know everyone was wondering how you'd got on.

2old - did someone day on Sunday you'd created a TM hash tag?
24/04/2013 at 13:53

O4S - phew, was looking at a couple and thought it was you. No idea how you can do 100 mile event next week. I await your quote of the day though.

Minni glad you're feeling better. All those short races def helped my speed & confidence.. I really like 10ks now - never thought I would say that  - hurts plenty but no real recovery needed. Puking optional. Does Moz give you any speed development sessions?

Get the 10k time down, half time follows.

Not sure about the calculator things, heart rate never gets mentioned. Age either, sort of same thing. Mine suggests 3:20.

SeanAlexMartin - well done.

Bet Brol is first to crack and goes for a 10 mile run this weekend

Race tonight is only 4-5 miles, and likely to be more a shuffle. Any pain I will bail. We need a few points to guarantee our position in the table, hence being asked.

Legs don't seem too bad. Did manage a 4 mile shuffle at 8-9mm with pals last night, mostly trail, along the beach, sand underfoot. Felt lovely. Need more runs like that the next 3-4 weeks, not worrying about pace, and just RUN for pleasure.

24/04/2013 at 13:55

Sean- that's a great first attempt! Many congrats.

My first 10k is on 8th May....

24/04/2013 at 13:55
Afternoon all

I'm feeling loads better today. Even mowed my garden!

Chick - I ran a 1:29 half and was nowhere near 3:15 don't think I can do it either now

Simon - 7 hours cycling. Omg. Brilliant stuff. How many weeks to go? I still want to sponsor you.

2old - my pond opened last Saturday at 11.5 degrees....
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.